NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joys and Good News

+48
Datelessman
nearly_takuan
Enail
Hielario
Hirundo Bos
berrybear
DoubtfulGuest
Mara_
Amygdala
litterature
aennilla
Jayce
Caffeinated
InkAndComb
HSavinien
readertorider
lonelyoffices
JP McBride
reboundstudent
Aggrax
PintsizeBro
waxingjaney
jcorozza
V
Conreezy
sky
Olmajor
Prajnaparamita
Barretts_Salt
Robjection
Dan_Brodribb
Izmuth
BasedBuzzed
KMR
azazel
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
kleenestar
caliseivy
WJMorris3
Gentleman Johnny
Wondering
Gman
kath
eselle28
reboot
fakely mctest
52 posters

Page 3 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next

Go down

Joys and Good News - Page 3 Empty Re: Joys and Good News

Post by WJMorris3 Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:51 am

Senate might be a bit much. There's a difference between centaurs and senators - one's a creature half man, half horse's behind, and the other's from Greek mythology.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:55 am

I put a cardboard tube in my snake's enclosure this morning to give her something new to play with. She immediately started crawling all over and in it, and I was pleased it was such a success. Just looked and she had flipped it into her water bowl/swimming pool, making it very soggy.

Now I assumed she had done this by accident whilst exploring it. Not so. As soon I took it out and moved it to the side she dragged it back in again and flopped around inside it. I interpret this as "But, I wanted to swim with my tube! Now I have to go and get it back!"

She just cracks me up; I thought having a snake would mean her just lying there looking pretty but she gives me the giggles every day, she is so ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 am

embertine wrote:I put a cardboard tube in my snake's enclosure this morning to give her something new to play with.  She immediately started crawling all over and in it, and I was pleased it was such a success.  Just looked and she had flipped it into her water bowl/swimming pool, making it very soggy.

Now I assumed she had done this by accident whilst exploring it.  Not so.  As soon I took it out and moved it to the side she dragged it back in again and flopped around inside it.  I interpret this as "But, I wanted to swim with my tube!  Now I have to go and get it back!"

She just cracks me up; I thought having a snake would mean her just lying there looking pretty but she gives me the giggles every day, she is so ridiculous.

What kind of a snake is she?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:11 am

She a wee little western hognose, wild type, 18 months old. Currently hiding behind the tube, but occasionally peeking out to make sure I'm still watching. Utterly ridonk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 am

Joys and Good News - Page 3 I-see-your-snake-in-a-sweater-and-raise-you-a-snake-in-a-top-hat.

Joys and Good News - Page 3 Tumblr_mu9vk5SnjQ1qdlh1io1_400

So, basically a snake with a permanent duck-face. Brilliant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:57 am

!!! They do it with peanut butter, you know. Dapper.

(She does look like a little duck)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Went out with friends last night. Several times started to say something and for no reason could not get it out. Each time everyone just waited until I could say it clearly.

Went to several bars, didn't order anything with alcohol in it. Only person who asked about it was a new acquaintance, and she quickly dropped it after another friend said I just don't usually drink very much.

I got food poisoning from something and made an irreparable mess in a friend's bathroom. They were super cool about it and offered me a change of clothes.

Not my best day, certainly. But this has dispelled any doubts I might have had that these are friends worth keeping.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:35 am

Today, there was a post about street harassment on the DNL main site. There were only two dudes who posted in disagreement in any way other than to raise concern about racism, and only one major meltdown thread-- and even that guy just had this bizarre infinite matryoshka doll argument rather than outright defending street harassment. They were significantly outnumbered by dudes who viewed street harassment as a problem which needed to end. That seems like cause for celebration.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:45 am

Lemminkainen wrote:Today, there was a post about street harassment on the DNL main site.  There were only two dudes who posted in disagreement in any way other than to raise concern about racism, and only one major meltdown thread-- and even that guy just had this bizarre infinite matryoshka doll argument rather than outright defending street harassment.  They were significantly outnumbered by dudes who viewed street harassment as a problem which needed to end.  That seems like cause for celebration.

That still doesn't seem to be enough, though. We can be so much better (atleast in our attitudes).

But yeah, small victories cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:05 am

We should measure our successes against the world that was, not against the Utopia that we desire.* We'll continue to strive towards it, but we should recognize the victories we have won.

*If you're ever feeling like giving up, it's important to remember that by this standard, feminism and gay rights have been staggering successful movements. Thinking historically can help us to keep perspective, and recognize that humanity has overcome much greater problems than the ones that face us now. We should draw strength from that knowledge and continue to face our obstacles with courage.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Hear hear! That was a pretty good comment section, all things considered!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:51 pm

It could also be that those dudes simply bother less because DNL has gained a rep as fallen to the feminist illuminati and arguing as 1 vs. 15 is seen as pointless. Which isn't bad news, because that means we can focus on the minutae and subtleties instead of grand sweeping debates that go nowhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:39 pm

I like the description of that guy's argument as a matryoshka. Nice. Smile

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Wondering wrote:I like the description of that guy's argument as a matryoshka. Nice. Smile

Thanks! I've noticed people using this style of argument a lot recently on the internet-- most frequently by the subset of gamergaters who insist that their movement isn't anti-feminist when pressed on exactly what their issues with ethics/corruption in games journalism are. People who do this basically always are either dissembling about their real motivations or are just operating in herd/hive adversarial mode rather than actually thinking about the issues in play. Either way, it seems like engaging with them is largely unproductive (although the responders to this one did produce some gems like kleenestar's "hand you a pile of shit and expect you to react as if they had handed you a dollar" metaphor). It seems like it would be valuable to taxonomize this family of arguments, come up with some clear criteria for identifying, and tempbanning anyone who uses them in an online community, because they derail discussions and suck a lot of time and energy out of all the other participants.

I've also considered calling these "fractal" arguments or "hydra" arguments. Thoughts? (This might merit a new thread...)

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:44 am

My copy of the Nightbreed Director's Cut came in! The theatrical version had a huge influence on my late teen/early 20's life AND I've probably got a date to watch it with once she's back in town.

Found out there's a masquerade ball on Friday. I was torn between getting there early for an open bar or going to a local Samhain ritual first. My date Liked my Samhain post on FB, so we're definitely doing it that way and going with proper black and white outfits with skull masks for both.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:27 am

...I have my first date. Ever. In 10 days.

Getting it was even awfully easy all things considered.

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:33 am

WOOHOO! Good stuff. Did you just... ask?

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:37 am

Go you Azazel! Grin

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:49 am

Right on Azazel!
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks guys! (in the gender indifferent sense of guys Razz)

embertine wrote:WOOHOO!  Good stuff.  Did you just... ask?

I'm part of a nerdy facebook group and someone set up a dating subgroup, made a post there introducing myself, and a post asking the moderators of the group for expressed clarification that if someone had been a dick to someone else we could let them know so they could deal with the problem.
(I wanted to prevent the hey ur sexy have a dickpick phenomenon by introducing quality control).

Apparently this convinced someone that I probably was not planning on being a dick on dates and send me a PM asking if we could meet up sometime.
Because of the fact that we were both part of a nerdy facebook group our interests were incredibly compatible (who would have guessed Razz ) and now I have a date! Yay!

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Woo! Have fun! Smile
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:30 pm

Way to go Azazel!

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Welp. It never rains but it pours. Tomorrow I am going to visit an agency who may have a month-long full time job for me, so it's looking like I could be employed twice over for the next couple of months!

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Yay, Bunny!

I'm starting to get my own hopes up career-wise, too! One of my friends from almost a decade ago has just reappeared out of nowhere to point me toward a hip new web startup offering ludicrously generous salaries for contract work, and she's apparently given me a glowing recommendation. (Which feels odd and dishonest, because there's no way she knows the quality of my work, but whatever.) Meanwhile, Best Friend apparently has contacts in an NPO that supports math education in public schools, and they're hiring "advocates" (salespersons). Probably a much lower salary, but I'll take "dream job" over "cash source" any day.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Lots of good news for people - yay!
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content