eselle28 wrote:"The dinosaurs are in the sky now, with God."

- an observation by a 3 1/2 year-old

Oh wow, you have a tiny syncretism pro there. <3
Mara_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Joys and Good News

Post by Werel on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Sometimes elderly missionaries who approach you in public are surprisingly chill when you calmly lay out a few reasons you're not a Christian anymore and they just go "hm, yep, those are some legit thoughts," and then they pray for you to do well in your studies and leave you alone. It's nice to be reminded not to get kneejerk pissy at people who are out doing their earnest best to bring comfort to strangers.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm

I don't know why, but scramble crossings make me feel like an excited 8-yr-old, every single time.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:54 pm

Enail wrote:I don't know why, but scramble crossings make me feel like an excited 8-yr-old, every single time.
Assuming this is a Canadian thing that we don't have in the United States. What is it?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:40 pm

It's not specifically a Canadian thing, it's when at an intersection, there's a time for pedestrians to cross in all directions (including diagonal).
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 pm

I didn't know they were called that, but I saw a scramble crossing while driving near University of Washington and it really was very exciting.

Also, I'm engaged.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Oh, wow, huge congratulations, Nearly!

(and thank you for affirming that scramble crossings are exciting to other non-8-yr-olds!)
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:40 pm

I drove my car into somebody else's car. Even with insurance, this is costing (and is going to continue costing) a lot of money and a lot of time.

I'm posting this here because:
- nobody had a scratch after the collision.
- the other driver's vehicle sustained only superficial damage; inconvenience to her is much less than it could have been.
- girlfriend/partner/fiancee was super super nice to me for about 24 hours following the accident (is now back to playfully griping about the inconveniences of living without a vehicle).
- a friend let me borrow her car a few days later, and I was nervous but nothing bad happened.
- damage to my car was pretty bad, but my insurance company is willing to repair it for me anyway and things can mostly go back to the way they were minus a few hundred dollars and a very stressful week for me and my partner.
- the other driver acted (in hindsight) very suspiciously for someone who supposedly wasn't at fault and totally had right-of-way, and was also excessively rude/mean/selfish even considering the circumstances, so at least I don't have to feel guilty about having accidentally inconvenienced a nice person.

I mean, this still really fucking sucks and I'd vastly prefer to live in the parallel universe where this specific event didn't occur, but it was good to receive some love/care from a small but very accommodating Team Me.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:02 pm

Double congrats on the engagement and having a solid Team You! Not so much congrats on the wreck, but no one being hurt is the better outcome available there.
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Book finished, submitted, and accepted with no revisions by publisher. The first two things took place about six weeks ago, but I was holding my breath until the third thing happened this morning. Now I just get to think about cover art. Loopy
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:19 pm

That's awesome, Werel! Cover art sounds like the fun part!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:44 am

So, I got a job. This time, it's one that fits my credentials and pays about as well as the one I had a couple years ago (lower salary, but cushy benefits that more than make up for it). It's maybe not my dream position, but damn is it a step up from what I had been doing.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:30 am

Shiny/thrilled Congrats, eselle, that's awesome!!
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Yay, that's so great! Way to go, Eselle!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Congrats!

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:18 am

Great topic and congrats everyone!

I wanted to wait for something which was better than "made the bus to work on time" caliber. Not that small miracles can't be special. But.

Last year I took a test for a city job related to the field I am in now (which isn't what I majored in in college, but post-2009 I had to adapt). A week ago I had an initial interview for the gig and I have been approved for the second round of the "process". Nothing is set in stone yet but it's a step forward for a better gig which could lead to a more stable career. A genuine second chance.

And I found a $1 bill on the street 2 hours after I paid my gas & electric bills.

Happy Labor Day weekend, everyone!
Datelessman

View user profile https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 am

Congrats on everone's awesome news!

After a very stressful week of work, doctors (not for anything major, but I get nasty anxiety with pretty much all doctors' appointments now) and feeling very disconnected from the world for fairly stupid reasons...a good end to the week! Work bonus (which is neither guaranteed nor was I sure they really existed - people have been very hush hush about it)! Plus, after over five months of stress and getting further behind, I am finally caught up at work and my new co-worker is basically trained up. Oh, and the licensing board was supposed to review my application in August, so hopefully I'll be hearing about that soon, so I can move on to less stressful things. Now on to making my Renn Faire custume!
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Ooh, congrats on the bonus and catching up, Jcorozza! (and I look forward to hearing about the costume!) And on making it to round 2 Datelessman, good luck on the next step!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:21 am

Thanks, Enail!

jcorozza wrote:Congrats on everone's awesome news!

After a very stressful week of work, doctors (not for anything major, but I get nasty anxiety with pretty much all doctors' appointments now) and feeling very disconnected from the world for fairly stupid reasons...a good end to the week!  Work bonus (which is neither guaranteed nor was I sure they really existed - people have been very hush hush about it)! Plus, after over five months of stress and getting further behind, I am finally caught up at work and my new co-worker is basically trained up.  Oh, and the licensing board was supposed to review my application in August, so hopefully I'll be hearing about that soon, so I can move on to less stressful things.  Now on to making my Renn Faire custume!

Congrats! Getting past stress is always a cause to celebrate. Hope your costume comes out great!
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Tfw doing things the wrong way gives you extra skills Wink
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 pm

A conversation about my older niece:

"She likes...what? Well, that makes getting gifts easy. I had no idea kids were into Hello Kitty again."
"They're not. The other kids at her preschool like Frozen and Paw Patrol. I don't know how she even found out about the character."

I'm thinking the geek gene might be hereditary.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:28 pm

eselle28 wrote:A conversation about my older niece:

"She likes...what? Well, that makes getting gifts easy. I had no idea kids were into Hello Kitty again."
"They're not. The other kids at her preschool like Frozen and Paw Patrol. I don't know how she even found out about the character."

Your niece sounds adorable!

I think it might be too! I was raised by a single mom and she's a fairly hardcore Trekkie/Star Wars/Dune fan who also read plenty of comics. When I was a kid she had subscriptions to 5 Marvel titles (Amazing Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four and Mighty Thor) so I always had easy access to them in the house. She's always professed to be more of a Superman fan (she used to collect Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen in the 60's and regretted giving those books away when she went to college) but she'd briefly dated an inker for Marvel Comics who allowed her to read/take some of his comp copies and she started subscriptions when they split.

While I never took to Star Trek and Star Wars like she did (or even Superman), I attached to Spider-Man and the Marvel Universe, and from there my geekery arose. I wound up getting far more into comics than she did (sci-fi is more her bag).

So not only would I agree that a geek gene may be hereditary (or at least brought out by a nurturing environment), but that women have been part of the geek scene long before the Internet, as a natural part of that community. Heck, considering the history of Trekkie fandom or of course works like "Frankenstein" and "The Scarlet Pimpernel," women founded many of these genres and fandoms.
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:05 am

eselle28 wrote:A conversation about my older niece:

My kid's just gotten into Frozen. I'm hoping this means the feminist gene is hereditary. Laughing

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 am

I just sent a proposal for an article to the editor of a literary magazine, and it's a little scary and the first time I've done something like that, although it makes it less scary that I know the editor and briefly mentioned the same article idea when I met him on the street around a week ago. (The article is about the Helliconia trilogy, spurred on by the recent passing of its author.)
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Man, I love my area!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top