Joys and Good News

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Joys and Good News

Post by Werel on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Doublejoy:

1) It's really nice to experience autumn for the first time in four years.

2) It's really nice to see old friends who can make you laugh so hard your chest hurts.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:12 pm

If I forget to do it tomorrow, someone remind me to tell you the "helping a hoarder move" story. It should arguably be a rant but it was also just hilariously incredible how everything went down
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Okay, so.

I have a now elderly neighbour in his 70s, let's call him Joe. He's lived in the same house for 30ish years, a basement, two-car garage, a shed on the side of his house, a cement patio and a yard big enough that it takes me about an hour to mow it. For various reasons, he's had to sell his house recently and buy a trailer that's about a third of the size of his house. His son was my best friend through most of the way in Elementary school, all of middle school and the opening bits of high school. I've known this man most of my life, though I haven't always been around him.

Now this man is also a hoarder. Now for those who've never dealt with the hoarder mentality, it's that things are a blind-spot for them. Out of sight, out of mind. If a light goes out, they buy a few packs of light bulbs on sale because they can always use them. They'll screw in the light bulb they need, and then throw their remaining light bulbs on a freely open shelf. If there's more space on that shelf, something else will get thrown on it too and those light bulbs will be out of sight. The next time a light bulb goes out, they may remember they have a pack of light bulbs and go looking for them, but they may already be buried or hidden. If they can't find them, or don't remember that they have them, they just go out and buy more light bulbs and the cycle continues.

Now imagine someone who has a two-car garage and has never parked their vehicles in them and you can imagine how full of junk it was. In his case, gardening things, tools and gadgets and DIY and mechanical things.

So at the point I get recruited into this, we only have about 4 days to get all of his stuff out of his house. Most of the big furniture and stuff inside the house has been moved. We're moving stuff from his room and closet that he uses daily, dishes and stuff in his kitchen. Our only equipment is whatever cardboard boxes and things he gets from liquor stores and a few other places (they'll give them to you for free), and garbage bags. No labelling or organization or even being sure that the boxes are packed correctly. We spend two of those days ferrying stuff between his house and his trailer, which is dilapidated and getting painted and renovated by one older guy (I think he's the trailer park handyman) who has to work around all of the junk and boxes and furniture getting moved in (the guy's chill as fuck and probably a pothead, so he doesn't seem too bothered by anything).

And then the last two days come. The garage is still full, there's still stuff in the back yard and side shed, there's about one large roomful of things still left in the house scattered around. He tells me that his son-in-law and his son/my old best friend are going to come help. He rents one of these things and gives the basic directions as "put everything in in the garage in it, it doesn't matter if it breaks" and then his son-in-law and his son (my old best friend) are gonna show up and help later on. The son-in-law is a delivery truck driver himself, so he's gonna show up and take a few things to the trailer

"Uh, but there's no bracing or strapping or ropes or anything to hold any of this stuff down." "Don't care."

"Uh, but what about the spray paint and raid and chemicals and liquids?" [This is my personal favourite part]

"Double bag it and put them in too."

"... That can explode or catch on fire and burn the whole thing down."

"Not gonna happen, do you need to know how hot it has to be?"

"People's houses have burned because of things like this."

"Not gonna happen."

I'm also thinking to myself "if this entire thing burns up, you have to pay the storage company for it" but I don't bother saying anything.

Thursday comes and goes, I load a good maybe 1/3rd of the garage into it, trying to be a bit careful to put light stuff on the top and heavier stuff on the bottom because maybe it'll work out better that way. I do double bag the chemicals but I don't put them in, I don't want any part of that. I run out of garbage bags and plastic bags and boxes pretty early on. No help comes at the end of the day. It doesn't shock me that his son wouldn't show up, but I do find it a little strange that the son-in-law didn't show up because he's a genuinely good guy.

Friday, the last day before he has to be out of the house rolls around. I start in the morning, and then get a phone-call from him that I'm on different duty. Gather up everything that's still in the house somewhere close to the storage bin and throw that in there too (I hadn't planned for any of that to go in there), abandon anything in the back yard, grab anything that looks like a tool from the side shed and leave the rest (lots of plant pots and stray pieces of wood everywhere, he didn't seem too concerned to realize that if the new people moved in and had to get rid of his stuff, he'd be paying for it), and load the lumber for his unfinished front fence into the storage bin (wet lumber because it's been raining so now it's gonna grow mold in there too).

I get to doing things with the realization that I'm gonna have no chance to get it done all by myself, but I'm not really worried or stressed about it because a) I'm just getting paid to do what I can 2) he's not family and 3) it's not my responsibility regardless.

Joe's daughter shows up partway through the day because she's going to give the house a quick cleaning before it transfers to the new owners and just to see how things are going and I point out all the various things (including the liquids) and she thinks it's total insanity. She goes home and sends her husband over, and this is when I find out that Joe made all of these plans and didn't tell the son-in-law or his son about any of these plans. The son-in-law gets ahold of the son to come on over too, and in the meantime together we clear out the rest of the house (my second favourite part is him just wandering around the garage looking at things in a bit of a shell-shocked daze kind of like that scene from Saving Private Ryan on the beaches of Normandy where that soldier is walking around the beach looking for his missing arm).

The son and his fiancee (who had to be awake at 4:30 AM the next morning for work herself) arrive and me and him see each other and just start laughing hysterically when he sees what's left over. We get at it for a few hours, lose daylight, and still don't finish. The realtor shows up (I think the daughter had ended up contacting her) to let us know what time they were showing up to take possession in the morning and that it was okay to leave a few things behind as long as they didn't have to pay to get rid of them. We grabbed what we could the next morning, including with the son-in-law bringing his delivery truck, and it still wasn't enough time, we ended up having to leave a lot of shit behind and not long after we finished/left, the new owners showed up. And he probably had to pay to get rid of some things (they don't pick up the storage units on the weekend so he probably had to pay to get it moved a bit for the new people).

Now this story might be ongoing because he's phoning me back Monday to do more, maybe.

Maybe it should be a rant, but I find it's a hugely hilarious situation and I have zero stress about it because I have no obligations or reasons to really give too much of a fuck either way about it.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Jesus Christ rofl

Please keep updating as this story unfolds and/or all the flammable liquids shoved in next to a sack of hoarded lighters burn everything down
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Holy fuck! rofl Glad you're...having fun entertaining us, at least! Don't accidentally get yourself packed in with the flammables!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubtfulGuest on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 pm

I smile whenever I hear my neighbor practicing the Lord of the Rings movies' main theme on the flute. I like getting these tiny glimpses into other people's lives-I know nothing about this person other than that they enjoy playing the Lord of the Rings theme on the flute, but it's a sign that they're probably good people.
DoubtfulGuest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:58 am

Done cheers
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:34 am

Datelessman wrote:Great topic and congrats everyone!

I wanted to wait for something which was better than "made the bus to work on time" caliber. Not that small miracles can't be special. But.

Last year I took a test for a city job related to the field I am in now (which isn't what I majored in in college, but post-2009 I had to adapt). A week ago I had an initial interview for the gig and I have been approved for the second round of the "process". Nothing is set in stone yet but it's a step forward for a better gig which could lead to a more stable career. A genuine second chance.

And I found a $1 bill on the street 2 hours after I paid my gas & electric bills.

Happy Labor Day weekend, everyone!

As an update, I got past the third round of the process and officially begin paid training for this city job in 2 weeks. It'll be a new normal, a gig with benefits and a shot at a pension. It also means leaving the place and co-workers I have been with for about 6.5 years. The only constant in life is change, I guess. I took the test for this position over a year ago (April 2016) and never thought I'd hear from them, yet now it all seems to be moving forward so fast. I am both excited and anxious.

The schedule will likely be nuts, since it is a 24/7 call center. That certainly will make a potential OkCupid run more challenging....not having a 9-5 (or a 10-6) anymore. But, a better salary and a shot at a future is more worth it to me. Thumbs-up
Datelessman

View user profile https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:37 pm

That's awesome!
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:55 pm

jcorozza wrote:That's awesome!

Thank you!
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:45 pm

My sister just passed a super hard, super important exam that she's worked ceaselessly for months to prepare for, and now has a top-tier authorization in her profession.
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:34 pm

First publication ever accepted to a peer-reviewed journal feels good; the fact that it's my favorite journal feels even better.
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Congrats!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Neat!

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 am

Werel wrote:First publication ever accepted to a peer-reviewed journal feels good; the fact that it's my favorite journal feels even better.

That's fantastic! Way to go, dude! cheers
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Finally got my LAC (Licensed Associate Counselor)! Well, I got the number, so I can use it if jobs I'm applying to ask for it. But still, I'm pretty excited.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:58 pm

jcorozza wrote:Finally got my LAC (Licensed Associate Counselor)! Well, I got the number, so I can use it if jobs I'm applying to ask for it.  But still, I'm pretty excited.  

Way to go! I know you've been eagerly waiting until it came! Good luck utilizing it to make your life and career better. cheers
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Woo, congratulations!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

View previous topic View next topic Back to top