Last chapters of life (not me -- my mother:) US-centric

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Last chapters of life (not me -- my mother:) US-centric

Post by Barretts_Salt on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Good morning, all.

The whirl of activity has subsided, and I thought I'd make a helpful reminder of who takes care of the nuts and bolts of life in case someone hasn't thought of it.  I know *I* hadn't:(

But my mother was organized and prepared, and she had good friends. Things have gone as smoothly as might have been reasonably expected.

BUT

Finding a nursing home/assisted living for people with an alternate view of reality.  As in "It's 1952" and "I can't find the staircase to the horses under the house."  You may need to find one quickly.  Particularly if they're always running away.

Finding a good place, having them get off a probable waiting list and in there, getting the long-term care insurance to start brassing up the money like officers and gentlemen.

The prices are high to very high.  I know I couldn't do it without insurance.  I have no chance to get it for myself.  And when I could I was unaware that dementia ran in her family.  But she was just barely able to admit it enough to get it for herself.  Here's really hoping I take after my father's side of the family in this respect as well:)

I'm in the process of canceling her automatic car insurance payment.  Earlier there was the bank, the safe-deposit box, the storage unit, the physical transfer to her new home.

Aaaaannnnnnnddddddd, TAX RETURNS!  And the Post Office.

Like I say, I have no complaints.  

I just wish I'd known this was a possibility.
Barretts_Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Last chapters of life (not me -- my mother:) US-centric

Post by Enail on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Oh, man, Barretts_Salt, that sounds so hard and stressful and sad. I'm glad you got your mom into a good place and have insurance covering it. Many jedi hugs if desired, and much sympathy.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:06 pm

Oh man, so sorry, Barretts_Salt. The time is coming when I am probably going to have to put one or both my parents in care and it is a bloody nightmare

Hugs on offer!
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Wow, that's the real hard stuff of life. Thanks for the reminder to think about this stuff when we still have the time to plan. Jedi hugs if you want them.
Caffeinated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:40 am

You're all welcome -- and thank you for the hugs and sympathy:)

If any of you ever want to ask a specific question feel free to ask.
Barretts_Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:52 am

reboot wrote:Oh man, so sorry, Barretts_Salt. The time is coming when I am probably going to have to put one or both my parents in care and it is a bloody nightmare

Hugs on offer!

And I'm sorry to hear that you'll also have that to deal with in addition to everything else on your plate.

Even if you don't have specific questions I'll always be willing to listen -- privately or publicly -- and for once I'll be able to lend an informed shoulder:)
Barretts_Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum