NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Girl," "woman" and other words for adult female-type people.

+12
litterature
Jayce
Robjection
readertorider
jcorozza
eselle28
WJMorris3
PintsizeBro
Enail
Caffeinated
The Wisp
Xexyz
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Girl," "woman" and other words for adult female-type people. - Page 2 Empty Re: "Girl," "woman" and other words for adult female-type people.

Post by reboot Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:23 am

In writing I try to consistently use men/women for adults and girls/boys for kids. When speaking about strangers I do the same or stick with "people" if knowing gender is not important. Talking about friends or with friends, I will call a group I am with "guys" regardless of gender (e.g. hey guys let's go) and occasionally "ladies" (e.g. ladies, shall we?) if it is a predominantly female group.

In singular, I will use guy for men I know (e.g. he is such a cool guy) and person for women (e.g she is such a cool person) because woman/man sounds kind of weird to me in that context. I also use dude for everyone (dude, that is so cool) because I am old as is my slang.

If I use girls for anything other than a group of young human females, I am usually referring to female pets (e.g. X and I are going to take the girls on a walk, I hope the girls were not a pain while I was gone).

I do wish there was an equivalent to "guy" for something informal for women. Unfortunately when I hear "gal" and the speaker is not southern it is often being used sarcastically (e.g. she is quite a gal!). I am not fond of same or lady, but those are the least bad options I van think of.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

"Girl," "woman" and other words for adult female-type people. - Page 2 Empty Re: "Girl," "woman" and other words for adult female-type people.

Post by Andrew Corvero Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:34 am

This is an interesting linguistic fact about the English language: the lack of an informal word which is equivalent of "woman".

It's easier in other languages, I think. In Italian we have different words for "little girls/boys" (bambino/bambina, used from age 1 to roughly age 12-13) "adolescent boy/girl" (ragazzino/ragazzina, age 12 to 16-18) "young adult men/woman" (ragazzo/ragazza, it was once used for ages 16-18 to 25, now it's used up to 35-40) and also the formal terms for "man/woman" (uomo/donna).

There's also "giovane", which literally means "young" and it's used for people of both sexes at age 18-35, especially in its plural form "i giovani" ("the young ones").

"People don't just change who they are in an instant. It takes time, so you don't even know you're changing. Until one day you'll just a little bit different than you used to be and you can't even tell what the hell happened" (Rich Burlew)

"You shouldn't take advice from random strangers on the Internet too seriously" said the random stranger on the Internet.
Andrew Corvero
Andrew Corvero

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 pm

I go for brodette or dudette when referring to the fairer folk in third person, ma'am whenever talking to someone directly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum