I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Aggrax on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:57 am

Just gonna word vomit this one out. Applying for a job is something that nearly makes me throw up every time I do it. I feel like circus gorilla in the clothes I have to wear. I can barely fill out an application because every time I get to the part where it asks about previous job history I freeze up because I was fired from the last two jobs I held and I just know that any prospective employer is going to see that and not want to hire me. But then it doesn't really matter what I put down because when I get home I have to listen to my parents tell me that whatever I put down was the wrong thing to say. The same conversation over and over again "Can't you just say that your last job was a temp position?" "But I didn't leave because the position was temp, I left because I was fired and if I say that and they call the previous employer then I'll be proven to be a liar." "Oh well, you know they don't usually call them and companies can't really say a whole lot about you anyway." On and on until I just give up and put down some bullshit answer.

But the worst part is that I feel like such a horrible, lazy person because I like the routine I have now where I;m not responsible for anything and have large amounts of free time. I keep sabotaging myself because I'm too much of a lazy asshole to actually do what I need to do, it's honestly pathetic.

Sorry for whining so much.
avatar
Aggrax

Posts : 189
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Dannyboy on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:12 am

I know exactly how you fell, the whole anxiety about applying for a new job, I went the first two years of college jobless because I couldn't fit in my schedule of drinking and playing games, lol. Plus you've had a previous bad experience, so its no wonder you have some anxiety about applying for a new job. The point is, there's nothing wrong with feeling anxious about applying, everyone does, and it doesn't make you lazy or a loser.

Now, it is true that being fired can be something of a black mark on your record, but your hardly the first person whose been fired from a job, and other people with the same uswork history have gotten jobs before. You might want to leave it out of your work history if you can, otherwise just keep applying till you get an interview. Actually, you might try applying at Goodwill if they have one in your area, they're generally more accepting of people with less than stellar work histories. I got my first job there, and I liked well enough.

Hope this helps.

Dannyboy

Posts : 118
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2015-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:52 am

Aggrax wrote:Just gonna word vomit this one out. Applying for a job is something that nearly makes me throw up every time I do it. I feel like circus gorilla in the clothes I have to wear. I can barely fill out an application because every time I get to the part where it asks about previous job history I freeze up because I was fired from the last two jobs I held and I just know that any prospective employer is going to see that and not want to hire me. But then it doesn't really matter what I put down because when I get home I have to listen to my parents tell me that whatever I put down was the wrong thing to say. The same conversation over and over again "Can't you just say that your last job was a temp position?" "But I didn't leave because the position was temp, I left because I was fired and if I say that and they call the previous employer then I'll be proven to be a liar." "Oh well, you know they don't usually call them and companies can't really say a whole lot about you anyway." On and on until I just give up and put down some bullshit answer.

But the worst part is that I feel like such a horrible, lazy person because I like the routine I have now where I;m not responsible for anything and have large amounts of free time. I keep sabotaging myself because I'm too much of a lazy asshole to actually do what I need to do, it's honestly pathetic.

Sorry for whining so much.

First, I have some questions for you.

-Well what kind of jobs are you applying for?
-What did you get fired for?
-What was the job before your current unemployment, the pool gig? (If so, I recall you saying that was a temporary position, correct? If so, then be upfront about it having been temporary. Employers understand seasonal jobs.)

Second, even if you were fired, don't feel bad, I left a t-shirt printing job because for some fucking reason that job gave me anxiety attacks like crazy. I was there for only two weeks before I called it quits and I didn't even give them my two weeks notice, I gave them a week's notice so I worked 'til that weekend and I took off running. I didn't burn that bridge, I fucking nuked it from orbit by doing that.

Third, here are some words of advice, when you're emailing out your resume/"applying" for a job, make sure your cover letter is the body of the email you're sending out and make sure that your cover letter is assertive, not pushy or nothing like that but makes you sound confident. If you need tips, lemme know here or PM me. Razz

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by reboot on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:29 am

I do a lot of hiring and our HR gets calls from other employers. Most of the time we only call employers/get calls by employers if the work history is related to the current position and usually no more than two jobs back. Also, the calls happen after the interviews and often right before an offer is made to the selected candidate. No one has time to call every job of every applicant.

Being fired is not something that will rule out an offer unless it was something egregious (e.g. stopped coming to work but never quit, theft, violence, berating clients, racist language, drunk or drugged at work). What you need to do is come up with scripts about why you left your last job that acknowledges the termination but makes it clear that it was not because you took a shit on a coworker's desk.
avatar
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Posts : 2514
Reputation : 1005
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Aggrax on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:32 pm

The Mikey wrote:
First, I have some questions for you.

-Well what kind of jobs are you applying for?
-What did you get fired for?
-What was the job before your current unemployment, the pool gig? (If so, I recall you saying that was a temporary position, correct? If so, then be upfront about it having been temporary. Employers understand seasonal jobs.)

I'm basically applying for anything I can find that isn't food service and doesn't have any sort of requirement beyond a High School diploma. I don't really want a retail job, but I've been applying for any of them that I find because I can't afford to be picky.

The first job, which was call center work for a car sharing company, I was fired for excessive tardiness returning from break, but I had a history of not showing up for work on time, or even at all, as well. There would be days when I would be to lazy to want to go to work and would just... do something else instead, then I would go home and lie about it.

The second job was doing product profiling, a job that I got because a friend of mine worked there. Officially I was fired for sleeping on the job because I got caught nodding off at my desk one day. But again, I had a history of doing sub-par work and abusing the flexible working hours to come in hours late or just leave early. I honestly thought that I was going to be fired multiple times while working there. Technically this was a temporary position, though after I left the company made it a permanent one.

Right now I'm doing part-time work at a local indoor pool teaching swim lessons and life-guarding. There aren't a lot of hours though so I don't make much money.

The Mikey wrote:Third, here are some words of advice, when you're emailing out your resume/"applying" for a job, make sure your cover letter is the body of the email you're sending out and make sure that your cover letter is assertive, not pushy or nothing like that but makes you sound confident. If you need tips, lemme know here or PM me. Razz

Honestly, I've never included a cover letter with my resume. I spoke to my therapist today and he told me to start writing one, so that's my project for the next week. I get most of my job hunting advice from my parents and neither of them mentioned anything about me needing to write one. They also told me not to bother e-mailing when I could instead go and fill out an application in person instead.
avatar
Aggrax

Posts : 189
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Archetype694 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:03 am

Dannyboy wrote: Now, it is true that being fired can be something of a black mark on your record, but your hardly the first person whose been fired from a job, and other people with the same uswork history have gotten jobs before. You might want to leave it out of your work history if you can, otherwise just keep applying till you get an interview. Actually, you might try applying at Goodwill if they have one in your area, they're generally more accepting  of people with less than stellar work histories. I got my first job there, and I liked well enough.

Hope this helps.

Just wanted to offer my sympathies.

Looking for work can be a soul sucking experience. My last job hunt was during the recession and for the most part no one was hiring in my area (not even fast food). It can be a blow to the ego to be told one hundred different variations of the word "No". The song and dance of looking for a job can be rather discouraging, from having to act a certain way (Perhaps be more chipper, assuming its a retail like role) to the dull repetition of filling out one application after another.

Unless I have misread you are young and do not have much of a work history correct? I'll likely be in the minority here but, it may not hurt to leave out any black spots in your employment history. In my youth I had jobs I walked out on, due to immaturity (lack of having bills helped) or cruddy working conditions.

I would strongly encourage not making a habit of burning bridges though, as I have had it bite me in the arse.


They also told me not to bother e-mailing when I could instead go and fill out an application in person instead.

A decade ago I would have agreed with this advice, but considering that many lower level jobs have shifted thier application process entirly online simply visiting the store in person the first thing the hiring manager will likely ask is if you have applied online.

That said, I would do both. By applying online first that means that the Hiring Manager will be able to easily pull up for your file at their leisure. By stopping in and inquiring about the status of the app shows that you have initiative and drive. It may help you stand out from the crowd.

(Make sure you ask who does the hiring btw, that's whom you are going to want to make a good impression on)

Caveat Emptor: The above is assuming lower level retail / Fast Food / Etc gigs. Higher up positions would require a different set of tactics.

_________________
Taijiquan Panda
avatar
Archetype694

Posts : 60
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2014-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:32 am

Aggrax wrote:
I'm basically applying for anything I can find that isn't food service and doesn't have any sort of requirement beyond a High School diploma. I don't really want a retail job, but I've been applying for any of them that I find because I can't afford to be picky.

The first job, which was call center work for a car sharing company, I was fired for excessive tardiness returning from break, but I had a history of not showing up for work on time, or even at all, as well. There would be days when I would be to lazy to want to go to work and would just... do something else instead, then I would go home and lie about it.

The second job was doing product profiling, a job that I got because a friend of mine worked there. Officially I was fired for sleeping on the job because I got caught nodding off at my desk one day. But again, I had a history of doing sub-par work and abusing the flexible working hours to come in hours late or just leave early. I honestly thought that I was going to be fired multiple times while working there. Technically this was a temporary position, though after I left the company made it a permanent one.

Right now I'm doing part-time work at a local indoor pool teaching swim lessons and life-guarding. There aren't a lot of hours though so I don't make much money.

Okay, those are some kinda serious things to be fired over and no good. Honestly, I feel kinda bad for your friend because he put his reputation on the line for you to work there. :I Falling asleep on the job woulda made him look really bad, it's just disrespectful to both your friend and employer.

The tardiness and whatnot is also very unprofessional, so be wary of it I guess. For now, I suppose you could say they were temp/seasonal positions or that they decided not to keep you after the probation period or whatever.

If you do manage to get a new job, DON'T be tardy or just skip out on work and lie about it. It was funny when Hal did it in Malcolm in the Middle, but not IRL.

Aggrax wrote:
Honestly, I've never included a cover letter with my resume. I spoke to my therapist today and he told me to start writing one, so that's my project for the next week. I get most of my job hunting advice from my parents and neither of them mentioned anything about me needing to write one. They also told me not to bother e-mailing when I could instead go and fill out an application in person instead.

Mmmm, okay, lemme clear some things up.

For certain jobs, the job posting will specifically request that an applicant email their resume/CV and Cover Letter to a specific person and the email address is usually listed there too. And that's the application process for certain jobs/industries. I got a job at a TV station and I had to send them my resume before I even got an application for the station which ultimately was just a formality.

But for like retail joints... I'm sorry, but that shit is all online now and you have to check in with the hiring manager in person after you apply. You have to constantly be following up of bugging them. It sucks and I hate it, but that's the nature of job hunting.

I was blessed and lucky enough that with my job, they called me the very next day, interviewed me 24 hours after that and I was hired that Friday.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Aggrax on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:05 am

The Mikey wrote:

Okay, those are some kinda serious things to be fired over and no good. Honestly, I feel kinda bad for your friend because he put his reputation on the line for you to work there. :I Falling asleep on the job woulda made him look really bad, it's just disrespectful to both your friend and employer.

The tardiness and whatnot is also very unprofessional, so be wary of it I guess. For now, I suppose you could say they were temp/seasonal positions or that they decided not to keep you after the probation period or whatever.

If you do manage to get a new job, DON'T be tardy or just skip out on work and lie about it. It was funny when Hal did it in Malcolm in the Middle, but not IRL.

Thankfully my friend didn't really have any bad fallout from what happened with me. When I say I got the job because he worked there, it was more of a "Hey, these people are hiring, put in an application" and not something where he really had to step up to bat for me. What I did was still super shitty, but at least none of that rubbed off on him.

When it comes down to it, I haven't really changed. I'm still the same lazy person I was when I made those decisions. I'm no more mature now than I was then. It's just like the pattern I fell into in college of starting every semester "fresh and ready to try hard" and ended every semester with over 2 weeks of classes missed and a failing grade. I ask myself "Why should these people hire me?" and I the only answer I can come up with is that they shouldn't.
avatar
Aggrax

Posts : 189
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:18 am

Aggrax wrote:
Thankfully my friend didn't really have any bad fallout from what happened with me. When I say I got the job because he worked there, it was more of a "Hey, these people are hiring, put in an application" and not something where he really had to step up to bat for me. What I did was still super shitty, but at least none of that rubbed off on him.

Okay! It's great that you realized what you did was totally not cool. Grin

Aggrax wrote:
When it comes down to it, I haven't really changed. I'm still the same lazy person I was when I made those decisions. I'm no more mature now than I was then. It's just like the pattern I fell into in college of starting every semester "fresh and ready to try hard" and ended every semester with over 2 weeks of classes missed and a failing grade. I ask myself "Why should these people hire me?" and I the only answer I can come up with is that they shouldn't.

Well, what do you think you can do to keep yourself from getting lazy?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Enail on Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Have you been talking with your therapist about your fears that you won't be able to avoid the problems you've had in your previous jobs? The same issues that caused you to be fired are part of why you're seeing him, right? So it makes sense that you might want to work with him on strategies to help with that.

Your parents don't sound like a very good source of advice on jobs. The job market has changed a lot since they were getting their first few jobs, so their ideas about how you should go about it are likely to be outdated. And they seem to generally have a super-critical, 'you just need to try harder' attitude which has been actively counterproductive for you in other matters, their idea of help may not be helpful to you here either. You might want to visit an employment centre if your area has any free, government or not-for-profit ones; they can give you current advice and help you polish your resume. And/or look online. I've heard good things about http://www.askamanager.org/category/job-searching.

It sounds like you haven't had any problem showing up or avoiding working at your swim instructor job. Maybe it would be useful to think about what's different for you at this job, and try and find other positions that have similar characteristics.
avatar
Enail
Admin

Posts : 3313
Reputation : 1603
Join date : 2014-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Aggrax on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Showing up and doing that job is easy because I barely ever have to be there or actually do anything. I have maybe 3 hours of actual work in my entire week, with the other 12 just me sitting watching a near empty pool with one eye and reading a book with the other. In most places Lifeguard is a high responsibility job, but not at this pool. I'm basically just a warm body filling a hole. In that way, it suits me perfectly, because an untrained, overfed monkey could do the same thing.
avatar
Aggrax

Posts : 189
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Enail on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:37 pm

What about the instruction part? Do you find it stressful or find yourself trying to avoid it? Being a swimming instructor seems like pretty hands-on, intensive work!
avatar
Enail
Admin

Posts : 3313
Reputation : 1603
Join date : 2014-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Aggrax on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:13 am

I want to apologize for the tone of my last few posts. I hit a pretty low point yesterday, particularly in regards to my self image. I didn't want to hear advice or anything positive about myself or what I'm capable of. The fact that people were able to cut through that and still find something meaningful and helpful to say is greatly appreciated.

So, I do like doing group class swim instruction. For younger kids it's very simple, just getting them to do the motions right and trying to keep them getting to overeager to swim on their own. It's very formulaic and actually fairly low intensity. For the slightly older classes (which we don't have many of at the moment) I enjoy teaching the more technical aspects of the strokes that I learned while swimming in high school.

Part of what makes it easy is that, for me, swimming isn't hard. It's something I've been doing all my life and I could do it for hours. It feels easy because I'm so used to it that nothing seems to require effort.

Also, because I'm the oldest person working there and have been there the longest, it seems like I do a lot of the minor coordinating regarding how the lessons are run. I'm the one checking to see how many kids are in each lesson, how many instructors we will need for those lessons and who needs to be at work when and who might get to leave early if we are over staffed.
avatar
Aggrax

Posts : 189
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Enail on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:15 pm

I'm assuming pool jobs are limited in number and/or unlikely to have enough hours for your needs, but maybe you could build on that experience to other jobs that involve instruction or coordination like that, then, skills that you're comfortable with and activities that you know work well for you. That would also allow you to base your resume more heavily on the job where you'll have good references and take the focus off the ones you were fired from.
avatar
Enail
Admin

Posts : 3313
Reputation : 1603
Join date : 2014-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by reboot on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:28 am

Enail wrote:I'm assuming pool jobs are limited in number and/or unlikely to have enough hours for your needs, but maybe you could build on that experience to other jobs that involve instruction or coordination like that, then, skills that you're comfortable with and activities that you know work well for you. That would also allow you to base your resume more heavily on the job where you'll have good references and take the focus off the ones you were fired from.

And remember, your current job at the pool is likely to be the only reference they check.

Training and teaching are harder than you think and a lot of people cannot teach both kids and adults or anyone at all. It sounds like it comes easily to you and you enjoy it, so definitely see if you can find a job that involves teaching/helping. Maybe in person customer assistance at a swim/sports shop?
avatar
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Posts : 2514
Reputation : 1005
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Aggrax on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:30 am

reboot wrote:
Enail wrote:I'm assuming pool jobs are limited in number and/or unlikely to have enough hours for your needs, but maybe you could build on that experience to other jobs that involve instruction or coordination like that, then, skills that you're comfortable with and activities that you know work well for you. That would also allow you to base your resume more heavily on the job where you'll have good references and take the focus off the ones you were fired from.

And remember, your current job at the pool is likely to be the only reference they check.

Training and teaching are harder than you think and a lot of people cannot teach both kids and adults or anyone at all. It sounds like it comes easily to you and you enjoy it, so definitely see if you can find a job that involves teaching/helping. Maybe in person customer assistance at a swim/sports shop?

I'm not really sure how well my skills at this job are going to translate over though. The teaching we do for these swim lessons is very regimented and easy to pick up. There is a very set routine to what we have kids do. Swimming is something I've been doing my entire life and I've done this job for about 9 years total (I work at this pool during high school and college, then came back after I lost my last full time so I would have some income.) Even if the skills might transfer, the confidence wouldn't. I can teach this one thing because I'm confident in my ability to do so.

I don't have the more generalized sports knowledge to work at a sports shop and I don't have any of the certification required to be any kind of real teacher.

If anyone has any advice on writing a cover letter I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to write one but have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
avatar
Aggrax

Posts : 189
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by eselle28 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:10 am

So, mention this. This means that you took up some additional management responsibilities, even though it doesn't sound like you're paid extra to do so. That's a good thing.

Also, because I'm the oldest person working there and have been there the longest, it seems like I do a lot of the minor coordinating regarding how the lessons are run. I'm the one checking to see how many kids are in each lesson, how many instructors we will need for those lessons and who needs to be at work when and who might get to leave early if we are over staffed.

Mention this, massaging the "fired" part a bit. Whatever your track record at other jobs has been, you have a good long term relationship with this particular employer. That can balance out a spotty work history with others to at least some extent.

I've done this job for about 9 years total

So, I see you say the below. I'm just remembering my own swim lessons as a child, and I seem to remember the instructors at least occasionally having to deal with naughty or cranky kids, especially at the lower ages. I remember some conflicts with parents as well. It seemed like the job involved a certain amount of patience and ability to deal with conflict. I mean, you basically work with people all day, right? I think that if you find the right language (any suggestions, guys, I'm a little wiped out tonight) that's something that's worth mentioning as well, especially for some of the jobs you might be considering. Lots of people hate working with people, so it is a skill!

For younger kids it's very simple, just getting them to do the motions right and trying to keep them getting to overeager to swim on their own.
avatar
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Posts : 1992
Reputation : 999
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by reboot on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:29 am

"In my position as swim instructor and lifeguard, I have 9 seasons (or summers) experience working with the public, including teaching classes for all age groups."

Aggrax, do not sell your ability to teach short. Many people who know skills or information cannot teach it because they cannot step away from their expertise. For example, for the life of me, I cannot train people to do screening interviews at my job because I cannot explain how I know what to ask, I just know it, so despite my expertise, I cannot teach. Being able to teach adults and kids is more impressive than you think.

For the cover letter, my "go to" format is 1-2 sentences about why I am writing (I saw your position posted on X and am interested in applying for the Position Title). Then 4-5 sentences summing up why my experience is related (e.g Since 2006 I have worked at X. In this position I do X, Y and Z. [Elaborate on what X, Y and Z are - not crazy detail but enough for a person to see your day]. If you link me to a job that is something like what you are applying for I can give some sentences.

In your case, focus on the swim job. Emphasize that you work on a team there, you teach classes and have experience working with the public, and discuss your class coordination role. Close by saying your resume is attached (or follows if you put it in the email body). Say "If you have any questions, contact me at email or phone." New paragraph "Thank you for your time and consideration." Then close, "Sincerely, Aggrax Last name"
avatar
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Posts : 2514
Reputation : 1005
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Aggrax on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Honestly, I think you guys are overselling this swim job a little bit. I know that being a real teacher is a difficult job, but this isn't a real teaching job. Literally anyone can do it. One of the few things I learned in college is that the skills don't translate well to being a real teacher.
avatar
Aggrax

Posts : 189
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by reboot on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Aggrax wrote:Honestly, I think you guys are overselling this swim job a little bit. I know that being a real teacher is a difficult job, but this isn't a real teaching job. Literally anyone can do it. One of the few things I learned in college is that the skills don't translate well to being a real teacher.

I certainly would not be able to do it. I tried teaching cousins to swim but absolutely could not do it. We may be overselling it, but I think you are underselling it.
avatar
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Posts : 2514
Reputation : 1005
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by ChrissyOrig on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Aggrax wrote: If anyone has any advice on writing a cover letter I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to write one but have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

For cover letters, this is what a friend who works in HR recommended. I've known quite a few people who've had success with it. Look at the job listing and make a list of what they say they want. So, maybe a list would be something like: reliable transportation, flexible schedule, knows some computer software, able to move XX-lb boxes, and so on. Find listings where you can match most of the requirements (doesn't have to be all, but the more, the better, and leave out anything you don't have a match for). Then structure your cover letter with paragraphs and then two columns. (ignore the dashes between columns here, it was the only way I could get it to format correctly in this mode)

Dear So-and-So,
I was excited to see your listing for the position of JOB TITLE. (Look up the company and say something flattering or why you're interested in them if you can here.) I feel that I am an (excellent, outstanding, perfect) candidate for this position, based on the qualifications listed below.

You seek-----------------------------My qualification
Reliable transportation--------------I have my own car [or Public transportation is available to your site]
Flexible schedule--------------------My schedule is flexible, and I am open to working any shift
Knows XX software------------------I (know, have worked with, have experience) with XX software (for X amount of time)
Able to move XX-lb boxes-----------I'm able and willing to move material or equipment up to XX lbs.

Please review my attached resume that gives more details about my qualifications. I look forward to speaking with you soon about this exciting opportunity.

Sincerely, (or Yours truly,)

Name
phone number
email address

So, give this format a try and see how it goes. Very often, it will at least get you an interview.
NOTE: Moving forward, I recommend applying for jobs that you feel like you'd really like to show up for. Otherwise, is it really fair to ask people to pay you if you're not motivated to actually do something for the money? It can take some time to find the right match, but don't give up. Reflect on things you like or at least things you don't hate and go for that. Someone once told me that he liked going to new jobs because he thought of it as a way of getting to know new people and meet potential friends. That has really stuck with me over time.

ChrissyOrig

Posts : 29
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Aggrax on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:08 am

So, who should I direct the cover letter to? Should I address it to someone specific, to "Whom it may concern," or something else?
avatar
Aggrax

Posts : 189
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by reboot on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:35 am

Aggrax wrote:So, who should I direct the cover letter to? Should I address it to someone specific, to "Whom it may concern," or something else?

If there is a name or title in the job posting address it to them. Otherwise, "to whom it may concern" works.


Last edited by reboot on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Posts : 2514
Reputation : 1005
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:36 am

Aggrax wrote:So, who should I direct the cover letter to? Should I address it to someone specific, to "Whom it may concern," or something else?

Do some research and try to find out who the hiring manager or HR manager is. Doing so means you actually give a shit about the position and the company or at least enough of a shit to find out who a key player is in the company.

Now, when writing a cover letter, it's important that you write it IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL. Write it in MS Word or whatever, but copy-paste it into the body of the email. HR people don't wanna waste time clicking more than they need to. I made all those mistakes for production position at a swanky marketing/ad agency here in San Diego. And now I'm working at a TV Station. Razz

Chrissy's advice is very good too. Take the job posting and try to relate back to the things you can do as best you can. I'll show you my cover letter that got me my job at the News Station:

Dear Ms. X,

My name's The Mikey and I'm responding to a News Station job posting for News Production Assistant.

Based on the job description, my professional experience qualifies me for this role.

Some of my highlights include:


  • Graduating from $college with Associate of Science in $relatedMajor in June while maintaining a 3.8 GPA
     
  • At $CharityOrganization of San Diego, I logged 15 tapes worth of material and edited them for a 36 minute video presentation
       
  • With Old Intern Company I served as either camera operator, on-set photographer or PA for 10+ productions
     
  • While working with $CollegeTVNews I was brought on as Floor Director, I also operated the main anchor's camera and later the CG machine


In addition to my experience, I am indeed computer literate and know both Mac and Windows PC platforms well. I have also briefly worked with a teleprompter, can indeed take direction and I am a teamplayer. Can we discuss how my qualifications and experience will benefit the News Station News team? I will follow up with a phone call next week.

I look forward to speaking with you about how I can benefit the team in this position.

Thank you for your time,

The Mikey
(well, my skillset, positive attitude and resume prolly all helped too Razz)

It was short, ballsy and to the point. You want to quantify and relate to what you're good at with your Cover Letter and resume. And assume you're gonna get an interview. Razz I guess my HR and Production manager liked that or something.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: I'm scared of actually getting a new job

Post by Caffeinated on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:28 pm

The Mikey wrote:
Aggrax wrote:So, who should I direct the cover letter to? Should I address it to someone specific, to "Whom it may concern," or something else?

Do some research and try to find out who the hiring manager or HR manager is. Doing so means you actually give a shit about the position and the company or at least enough of a shit to find out who a key player is in the company.

Now, when writing a cover letter, it's important that you write it IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL. Write it in MS Word or whatever, but copy-paste it into the body of the email. HR people don't wanna waste time clicking more than they need to. I made all those mistakes for production position at a swanky marketing/ad agency here in San Diego. And now I'm working at a TV Station. Razz

Chrissy's advice is very good too. Take the job posting and try to relate back to the things you can do as best you can. I'll show you my cover letter that got me my job at the News Station:

Dear Ms. X,

My name's The Mikey and I'm responding to a News Station job posting for News Production Assistant.

Based on the job description, my professional experience qualifies me for this role.

Some of my highlights include:


  • Graduating from $college with Associate of Science in $relatedMajor in June while maintaining a 3.8 GPA
     
  • At $CharityOrganization of San Diego, I logged 15 tapes worth of material and edited them for a 36 minute video presentation
       
  • With Old Intern Company I served as either camera operator, on-set photographer or PA for 10+ productions
     
  • While working with $CollegeTVNews I was brought on as Floor Director, I also operated the main anchor's camera and later the CG machine


In addition to my experience, I am indeed computer literate and know both Mac and Windows PC platforms well. I have also briefly worked with a teleprompter, can indeed take direction and I am a teamplayer. Can we discuss how my qualifications and experience will benefit the News Station News team? I will follow up with a phone call next week.

I look forward to speaking with you about how I can benefit the team in this position.

Thank you for your time,

The Mikey
(well, my skillset, positive attitude and resume prolly all helped too Razz)

It was short, ballsy and to the point. You want to quantify and relate to what you're good at with your Cover Letter and resume. And assume you're gonna get an interview. Razz I guess my HR and Production manager liked that or something.

The thing that stands out to me about The Mikey's cover letter is the emphasis on what he can do for the news station. Sure, we all know that when we're looking for a job, we're very interested in what the job does for us (paycheck, resume building experience, interest in the field, etc), but the person looking to hire someone is trying to solve a problem for their team and their company.
avatar
Caffeinated

Posts : 455
Reputation : 272
Join date : 2014-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum