Rants

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rants

Post by KitKat on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:41 pm

I really, really, really, REALLY have to stop checking out DeviantArt and/or ArtStation when I'm halfway through or just done with a piece because it's always the same f*ckin pattern of "Hey this looks pretty neat, I'm learning!" --> "Oh shit, I have to compete with THAT? Now my piece just looks like shit in comparison! My drawing is bad and I should feel bad." --> "I'll never get that good in two years time." --> "I won't be able to get a job" --> "CRIPPLING STUDENT DEBT OMG" --> Full blown anxiety attack about future prospects complete with acidy stomach and panicky breathing. I'm well aware of how bad that is for me and that worrying isn't helping any but goddamnit I think my brain is on some level addicted to doing it because it believes that if I ever lose the bad things out of my sight, they will immediately pounce and backstab me, completely missing out on the point that all the time I spend feeling shitty about myself is time I could spend being productive.

KitKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:29 pm

KitKat wrote:I really, really, really, REALLY have to stop checking out DeviantArt and/or ArtStation when I'm halfway through or just done with a piece because it's always the same f*ckin pattern of "Hey this looks pretty neat, I'm learning!" --> "Oh shit, I have to compete with THAT? Now my piece just looks like shit in comparison! My drawing is bad and I should feel bad." --> "I'll never get that good in two years time." --> "I won't be able to get a job" --> "CRIPPLING STUDENT DEBT OMG" --> Full blown anxiety attack about future prospects complete with acidy stomach and panicky breathing. I'm well aware of how bad that is for me and that worrying isn't helping any but goddamnit I think my brain is on some level addicted to doing it because it believes that if I ever lose the bad things out of my sight, they will immediately pounce and backstab me, completely missing out on the point that all the time I spend feeling shitty about myself is time I could spend being productive.

Yo dawg, as a fellow artist, I feel ya. There, there We just gotta keep practicing!

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:20 am

(Paraphrased)
Me: So, I've been feeling like X and Y, and I've been thinking about that for a while, and it seems like A and B and C might have something to do with it. I've also been thinking about P and Q, and there's sort of an R theme running throughout, but I don't really know what I should do about any of this.
Therapist: Well, have you tried introspection?

NEXT.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:35 pm

>get Dark Souls for PC
>its my finnish friend's favorite game
>lore is supposed to be amazing too
>aight, it's $5 on Steam
>start playing
>playing it in full screen looks like shit
>ugh, fine
>play it in windowed mode at 720p
>ooh, now it looks nice
>attack some dude after first asylum level
>didn't know he would get buttmad at me
>crap, now he's killing me
>reload game, he's still attacking
>turn off game play skyrim instead
>finnish friend keeps skyping me
>have to alt-tab between game and skype
>alt-tabbing too much makes skyrim(job) shit the bed
>skyrim closes itself
>she has Steam too
>facepalm.jpg
>whatever, she's adorable, cant get mad at her
>try to play Dark Souls again
>now my PS3 controller and SCP drivers arent working
>fuuuuuck, it was a pain in the ass to install
>whatever, I'll deal with it in the morning
>wake up, turn on pc
>test PS3 controller with SCP's monitoring software
>it works again, wtf
>mfw pc gaming

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Who the frick thinks it's a good idea to shoot two members of the media during a live broadcast?!?!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:55 pm

I really wish people would listen to what I'm saying about what my baby won't eat before giving me advice on what I should try to get her to eat.

I specifically said she won't eat anything wet, mushy, or sticky, like peanut butter or cream cheese. And you suggest trying peanut butter, cream cheese, tuna (wet), or grilled cheese (melty, mushy cheese). And then end it with, "you know, anything she will eat."

:grrr:

Figuring out what that anything is is exactly the problem I was complaining about FFS!

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:37 pm

I should've started my dinner by about 8pm. It is currently 9:30pm (possibly a bit later when the post actually goes up) and I still can't bring myself to cook anything.

Why?

Because my computer was being stupid this evening. After it crashed on me again, I started it up and found that I couldn't open any programs. I could click the little icons down in the bottom, I could double-click them on the desktop, but nothing would happen. In fact, the computer wouldn't even shut down when I told it to shut down. I've lost count of how many times I've had to hold down the power button to turn off the computer (or, at my most frustrated, unplug the computer while it's still on) in the hopes that turning the damn thing off and on again would make the problem go away!

It looks like that problem has gone away for now, but now I'm getting messages saying my antivirus software isn't active ... even though, when I open Avast, it is most definitely active. It's not done that thing where it switches off after an update and doesn't turn back on again until I restart the computer. It is currently active. In fact, I'm running a virus scan with it right now (which is almost done). In fact, the reason I'm not currently having my dinner is because I don't trust the computer to stay non-crashed for the remainder of the virus scan's duration.

But OK, let's address these messages that say my antivirus software is off.

*clicks on Turn on virus protection*

Why did you just open up system32? That's not turning on the virus protection.

I'll say here what I said to no-one in particular on Skype. If this is a ploy by Microsoft to force me to get Windows 10, I'm gonna strangle something cute.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:49 pm

I was hoping that I had been incorrectly expecting the worst a week ago; I still do now, but it looks more like I was right.
I don't know how people can go through this kind of situation willingly. It feels so depressing and discouraging. How am I not supposed to feel bad about myself, to not feel like it reflects negatively on my worth? Logically I know it shouldn't, but spending so much time ignored in life and images like me trashed in society, it's tough not to feel like you just don't measure up in qualities you can't change.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Why, why, WHY must everything be scheduled for the same day?! The class I'm going to take, Tuesday nights. The class my kids are going to take, Tuesday afternoons. And don't forget those theater tickets I bought months ago: for a Tuesday. None of them can be changed. Of course.
Caffeinated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Every comment on every recipe site on the interwebs:

I didn't have any olive oil on hand, so I substituted vegetable oil instead. Used pork loins instead of pork chops and left off the rosemary seasoning and just used garlic, as my kids dislike rosemary.

Overall, I found this dish to be too bland. The meat seemed too dry, and it lacked a good strong flavor. I won't be making this again. One star.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:20 pm

I didn't have any olive oil on hand, so I substituted vegetable oil instead. Used pork loins instead of pork chops and left off the rosemary seasoning and just used garlic, as my kids dislike rosemary.

Overall, I found this dish to be too bland. The meat seemed too dry, and it lacked a good strong flavor. I won't be making this again. One star.

Yes! I see that, too. It's so annoying!

One that bugged me exceptionally was a recipe for turkey meatloaf sandwiches and the many people who said they just made it as meatloaf, not the sandwich, and complained the meatloaf was too wet. I have made that recipe as intended and love it.

I'll have to see if I can find Nadia G's mockery of this phenomenon.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Wondering wrote:
One that bugged me exceptionally was a recipe for turkey meatloaf sandwiches and the many people who said they just made it as meatloaf, not the sandwich, and complained the meatloaf was too wet. I have made that recipe as intended and love it.

Wow. That's certainly an...interesting...take on recipe interpretation. What irritates me the most is that those reviews make it so much harder to tell which recipes are good and which ones are flops even if you follow the recipe exactly.

I'll have to see if I can find Nadia G's mockery of this phenomenon.

I'd love to see that!
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Yeah, I see that a lot too, except usually its that they've rewritten the recipe and rated it 5 stars... and people do it for knitting patterns as well, so of course you can never tell how accurate a fit is (even before people start pinning things back for pictures).

I replaced the nupps with beads because I hate nupps and eliminated the picot edging and went up two needle sizes and followed the instructions for the large to get a small based on my gauge and added a little side shaping...

I mean I understand why people change things (and I almost always modify the patterns too if not the recipes) but if you do find that mockery I'd like to see it too!
readertorider

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:53 pm

I haven't been able to find it so far. If you ever saw her show, she would talk about silly stuff while she was cooking, which is what this was. But I don't remember which recipe or episode, so can't track it down.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:50 pm

[This is about an site that has no connection to the Nerdlove community.]

No, I wasn't the person who made the sexist, shaming remark on the 1000+ comment post from a few days ago. I didn't even participate in that conversation! Granted, you used language that suggested that you were yourself unclear who said that, but if you can't dredge through the comments to get the name right maybe you shouldn't use one.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KitKat on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:13 am

The Mikey wrote: Yo dawg, as a fellow artist, I feel ya. There, there We just gotta keep practicing!

Yep, keeping up the good fight. I don't know, maybe it's like that for everyone but I've found that the culmination of being deeply miserable actually helps me to help myself in the end (Finding new art- or games-related resources to inspire me, get around to dealing with issues I did not have energy for before, doing self-care stuff I did not realize I needed), as long as I can power through it without falling into inertia along the way. So anxiety turns into some kind of ironic kryptonite-based superpower.

KitKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 am

There is always a conflict between the blanket runners (with our boring concern with boring nutrition, women and babies) and the gunrunners (who hang out with the men and discuss "BIG IMPORTANT ISSUES" usually in approximation of local dress), but you, sir, are special.I am trying not to hope to see you on YouTube in an orange jump suit.

On the flip side, your behavior inspired a colleague, who I expected was my kind of weirdo, to bust out singing this

confirming my suspicion that, yep, he is my kind of weirdo.

So gunrunner douche, thanks, and do not ask why there is a call-and-response "Give it to me, baby" "Uh huh, Uh huh!" between he and I whenever you mention your VERY IMPORTANT MEETING with the leaders of Faction A...Z
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:25 pm

KitKat wrote:
The Mikey wrote: Yo dawg, as a fellow artist, I feel ya. There, there We just gotta keep practicing!

Yep, keeping up the good fight. I don't know, maybe it's like that for everyone but I've found that the culmination of being deeply miserable actually helps me to help myself in the end (Finding new art- or games-related resources to inspire me, get around to dealing with issues I did not have energy for before, doing self-care stuff I did not realize I needed), as long as I can power through it without falling into inertia along the way. So anxiety turns into some kind of ironic kryptonite-based superpower.

I'm not a professional artist/musician/photographer but I'm serious about what I do and for me the most frustrating part is how I always have to rely on unconventional techniques which take much much longer than the "proper" way, so I always feel like I work a lot but can never get a finished product. Even when I was trying to become an architect I always did things in odd ways involving lots of tape, tracing paper and odd hand-drawn/digital mixtures and everyone liked the results but I could never meet my deadlines and I just wanted to die, also because I think I took things far too seriously and it was just shite assignments from bored professors who didn't really know what they were doing. At least now that I've finally settled on a trade (translation) I feel like I can actually put more energy into producing stuff without feeling the anxiety of being a "new kid who's not the real deal and knows about a lot of things but not as much as he should if he was for real". But now I'm 27 and completely skint and I hope money doesn't become a new source of anxiety...

I'm glad to hear you are able to draw inspiration from frustration and move forward! :>

litterature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyoffices on Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:48 pm

I've been in therapy 8 different times. A few "times" as brief as 7-8 sessions, but a few that were several dozen. Angry at myself that I never get to talking about the core issue. Angry at 3 or 4 different therapists who shot me down, almost gaslighted me when I spoke about what is for me the gateway problem that takes us straight to the.........core issue.

It was like they got all ewwwww, gross when I brought up the gateway problem. WTF.

lonelyoffices

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:24 pm

I really wish old people that come into the pool would stop asking me if classes have started or how I'm doing in school. I dropped out of college 5 years ago and would really not like to talk about my lack of education.
Aggrax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:53 am

Ah, the weekend. Now I can relax from work and hang out with my frie....oh wait, I don't have any. Oh well, at least I have a loving family I can spend time wi.....oh wait, they hate me.

Going back to work on Monday, surrounded by people who think I'm a joke, actually seems like the lesser of two evils at this point.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:53 am

That sucks Pagliacci Sad Have you considered doing volunteer work on weekends to get away from your family? I recommend animal shelters or nursing homes is you want to be around living beings that are happy to see you.
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Just to be clear, I barely have any relationship with my family anymore and almost never see them. I was just saying that most people spend their weekends with friends or family, and neither of those is an option for me, and that's painful.

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:16 am

Dear ex-boyfriend,
Facebook does not need to hear about your trip to the nude beach. Also, so glad to know that was what was so important that you couldn't help me move despite the fact that two years ago, I spent about 10 hours helping YOU move. Honestly, I'm not even sure who you are anymore - you used to be a person who prided yourself on being a good person who cared about people and issues. Lately all you seem to give a shit about is things related to your sexlife - obsessing about how brave and free you are now that you're poly, going to fetish parties, etc. Which...is really uncomfortable for me (because who needs to know this much about an ex's sex life, but also, you deciding this was the lifestyle you wanted is WHY WE BROKE UP).

Also, these things don't make you "adventurous". I'll consider you adventurous when you actually attempt to change careers from one you don't like instead of hemming and hawing and saying, "well, what if I don't like it?" and then doing absolutely nothing differently because you are too afraid. Congrats. You've used your sex (and to a lesser extent, social) life to distract yourself from the fact that you are chronically unhappy.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:36 am

If your idea of equality involves "let's make everyone a trainwreck of discomfort and anxieties, because it will build empathy and character", you've never looked in the mirror.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum