Rants

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rants

Post by nearly_takuan on Thu May 21, 2015 1:52 am

Asked Zhong-Hai of the abbot, "how is it that you have lived these many years and not grown dissatisfied with your system? How have you kept it so tidy, and free of corruption?"
Said the abbot, "cache validation is a difficult problem indeed, but when in doubt it is best to discard what you have and begin anew. No system can be trusted to maintain itself."
Asked Zhong-Hai of the abbot, "but what shall I do if my application too is held there and there alone? Alas! The most critical components of my system exist in that cache!"
Said the abbot, "in that case I would recommend patching your application as soon as possible. Your environment sounds fragile and impractical; it is no wonder you find yourself in so many precarious circumstances."
Asked Zhong-Hai, "then have you any advice on how I might perform these updates? It is unfortunate, but my application collects its patches primarily through the cache."
Said the abbot, "Student, I do not understand how it is that you found yourself operating with such a poorly-designed system, but whatever it is it sounds terribly stateful. Is there no way to refactor things such that your subroutines are idempotent and your storage is layered behind abstraction?"
Said Zhong-Hai, "Master, your words are wise, but it is life itself I find stateful. What, then, is your answer?"
Said the abbot, "Trust in yourself, and heed not the foolish and spiteful opinions of others. Take risks, try new things, and seek to broaden your experiences. Fill your memories with joy and great deeds, but keep your expectations realistic and grounded."

Zhong-Hai bowed in gratitude and left the abbot in peace. Only a starling remained to hear the abbot whisper: "ignorance is bliss."
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Fri May 22, 2015 1:00 pm

I just had a guy compare having his posts reported and removed from a community to 1940's Germany. I made the mistake of remarking that the two things are not similar and am now being asked how they aren't similar.

Are you fucking kidding me?
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Fri May 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Okay, Boyfriend, you aren't going to be able to get the job because the guy who currently has it didn't get the job he wanted. I'm sorry about that. Well, partially glad, but mostly sorry. I'd like to see you succeed. But I don't want to hear you talking about how everything would be cheaper if we lived together for a long time. It's not like there's a lease to take over, and I certainly don't want to buy your condo from you - there's a reason I sold mine. If I'd been dumb enough to move in with you and you'd been lucky enough to get the job, I'd be homeless right now, in a community where pet-friendly apartments are hard to come by.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Fri May 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Cracked.com is a vile place...
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Sat May 23, 2015 5:00 am

The Wisp wrote:Cracked.com is a vile place...

Don't answer if you don't want to, but is the reason for this post the Wong whitesplaining article?
BasedBuzzed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Sat May 23, 2015 5:21 am

BasedBuzzed wrote:
The Wisp wrote:Cracked.com is a vile place...

Don't answer if you don't want to, but is the reason for this post the Wong whitesplaining article?

If you're talking about the article I think you are, then yes, that inspired this particular post. But, I've disliked Cracked for a good half-decade or more at this point, so this is a long-standing feeling. I've never been a fan.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Sat May 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Grill, if you feel crushing betrayal when a personal hero suddenly turns out to have bad thing X, the lesson is not to find another type of hero, but to stop putting people on a pedestal.

Bonus round: if it sounds like a Lisa Simpson who can't find her Shift key, why the hell are you bothering to argue with the person?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Sun May 24, 2015 1:56 pm

Mom, texting exists, and texting can be used in many situations to avoid awkwardness, inconvenience, or embarrassment. Even if we're both in the house, texting is still sometimes preferable for avoiding those things.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Sun May 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Booze, fine. Burning half the meal food and feeding my snacks to the dogs, fine. Dropping ecs, okay, sure. I just could do without the reminders of how pointless I am and how no matter what I try to do in the other areas of my life I will always be seen as toxic just because of what I am.

And naturally I can't bring myself to actually say anything.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Mon May 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Got yet another exciting OLD message, but on a site where only paying members can send and receive mail, and her membership seems to have expired in the hours it took me to respond, so – sigh.
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Mon May 25, 2015 6:26 pm

Sometimes I think I overestimate how good-looking I am significantly as some sort of coping mechanism.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 26, 2015 1:30 am

No, Facebook, I really do not want to hear about ASAP Rocky's drug fueled orgies at South By South West. Especially not after my melt down on DNL prime, thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Tue May 26, 2015 6:19 am

Dear OKC guy,
I'm agnostic, and you're a preacher. This isn't going to work. I've already said "no" really, really nicely, because you put thought into your first message, but for the love of science, stop trying to bully me into a "yes".
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyoffices on Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm

So much of what passed for peace of mind in my in my 30s and 40s was the result of avoiding things that might have disturbed that peace. Those decades were different from my late teens and 20s when I was much more conflicted about my tendency to be absent from my own life.  I don't know if I got better at avoiding situations that might cause me pain, or whether I got better at ignoring the wisdom inside those frantic warnings to be more present, pain notwithstanding.  A bit of both I guess.  

My 50s have been a decade of emotional reckoning. The pain is back, the peace has vanished, what's past is past, and the price seems unforgivingly steep.

lonelyoffices

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Tue May 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Enough with the fucking kissy face text messages already. I said we'd talk about it later. I'm not interested in being gooey and romantic until later comes around.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Tue May 26, 2015 8:40 pm

I'm pretty sure that "further evaluation" you want to do is pointless and you're just trying to make money off of me, doctor.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Tue May 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Oh, OKC dudes, you are making me angry this week. "Oh, just so you know, that 'like' star was a miss-click. I'd still like to chat, though. I'm undecided". Really? First of all, you didn't need to tell me that first part. And if you were going to, you should have just left it there. I'm not going to beg for your approval.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Wed May 27, 2015 12:39 am

I submitted the response three times over a >3 hour period, reworded it (while keeping the same content) each time, and all three are sucked into the moderation blackhole. None have returned so far Sad

Help me, DNL, you're my only hope.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Izmuth on Wed May 27, 2015 4:51 am

jcorozza wrote:Oh, OKC dudes, you are making me angry this week.  "Oh, just so you know, that 'like' star was a miss-click.  I'd still like to chat, though.  I'm undecided".  Really?  First of all, you didn't need to tell me that first part.    And if you were going to, you should have just left it there.  I'm not going to beg for your approval.  

Wow, so this is what negging looks like in the wild.

I'm always surprised they think this will work. "I totes misclicked (I swear!), but instead of just not responding (What actual people who misclick would do) I'll let you convince me to date you.", I can already see all the panties getting wet!

@Wisp, on other sites it could take +- 12 hours before moderation had a chance to review posts, so I'd be careful submitting the same post over and over again. I'm not sure how the spam filter works, but you might get accidentally banned if too many of your posts get moderated in too short a time.
Izmuth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Wed May 27, 2015 5:55 am

>reported for fake account
I've had this one for +5 years, you numbskulls. Why the hell do you automate this shit if it's dead easy to false flag someone because "boo hoo, he disagreed with me on the internet".

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Wed May 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Forget your accomplishments, forget you skills, people fixate on your looks

Sorry, my friend, you are so much more than that
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Thu May 28, 2015 12:20 am

Look, you know I don't judge or even oppose your decisions to repeatedly abuse Schedule I controlled substances, and you also know that I choose not to. How come all four of you forgot to mention you'd be tripping balls for an entire weekend, before I rode three hours in someone else's car to get to the campgrounds? It's weird and kind of not-fun being surrounded by people who are having a totally different experience. (If I may be even a little more bitchy, I might also mutter "story of my life.")

Met a new person there. Guess that's good. Except for the part where she loudly blames her piss-puddle of an ex-husband's fascination with the idea of screwing multiple women on his past "virginity". Almost planned* on asking her out regardless; she's nice, and her interests are almost eerily parallel to mine, and her intelligences are orthogonal which is even weirder and even more awesome, ...and she lamented loudly and often her single-ness, and I'm not proud of it but that did get my hopes up. Then she started rolling with the others. Then she and Roommate started cuddling. And she appears to have a very high libido. Figures.

(*couldn't do it on the spot, for reasons that should be obvious.)
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Thu May 28, 2015 11:04 am

Of course I develop a headache right before leaving for work. Of course it increases in intensity while I'm sitting at work with an eight hour day ahead of me and no way to at least lessen the pain.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Thu May 28, 2015 12:01 pm

To Ex,

When we split up I agreed to pay you alimony against the advice of my lawyer, mostly to get you out of my life and because I was too broken to fight. At this time I consider it an exit tax to get out of the shitstorm that was our marriage, but there is no way in hell I am going to give you more, so just fuck right off.

You are a highly educated professional who could manage to keep a job if he stopped being a condescending, arrogant douche who antagonizes all his colleagues, which results in a poor publication record and low employability. Learn to work and play well with others because you can no longer rely on my income when your "contract is not renewed" or "you are not a good fit for the department".

I caved last time because I was too exhausted to fight. This time I am recovered.

Consider yourself warned,

Sincerely,

Reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Thu May 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Do you take a Xtian who accuses you of sinning seriously? A vegan calling you a murderer? An atheist calling you a dhimmi? No? Then don't be surprised if you throw around the same blanket accusations of whateverist and people laugh in your face. Your vocabulary is alien to them, and you don't know the difference between dishonest derailing and people asking questions because they have no clue what you're talking about.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum