Mysterious fatigue/aching

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mysterious fatigue/aching

Post by The Wisp on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:09 am

So, I know you all are not doctors, and I likely will see a doctor about this in the future. However, I do tend to have health anxiety, and a lot of psychosomatic symptoms to my social and generalized anxiety, so I don't really trust my intuitions here.

For about the three weeks, I've been getting a strange aching in my limbs and, sometimes, physical fatiguing. The first week it was an ever-so-slight stiff feeling when walking around and feeling more tired at the end of the day than normal, but for the past two weeks it has turned into aching in my limbs and a somewhat fatigued feeling if I'm active for too long (where "active" can even mean just walking around for longer than a few minutes). The feeling now, as I could best describe it, is the aching one gets on their joints with a mildly bad cold, except with none of the other cold symptoms. Also, no mental fatigue nor sleepiness is present.

The aching feeling generally is worse as the day goes on, but the fatigue seems very random. Walking around campus for five minutes made me feel light-headed and tired the past few times I tried it, while I walked around Costco with my mother two days ago while pushing a very heavy cart around just fine. The fatiguing seems highly correlated with my anxiety, with it being worse during or after I've been feeling very anxious. The aching seems sort of correlated with anxiety, though much less so.

There is no obvious change in my lifestyle (sleep, diet, school/work, etc.) that could explain this. The one recent change is that I've started taking a prescription dosage of the medicine Pepcid because I've also been dealing with chronic gastritis for 8 months now. However, the doctor said that that was unlikely to be causing such effects. On the other hand, I am sensitive to meds and often experience side effects.

I saw a GP last week and he said that it was likely just a random virus or something. I did do a basic blood test for thyroid issues, blood count, and mono, and those were all negative, though the test wasn't super comprehensive (no vitamin or mineral tests, for instance). Maybe it is just a virus. I did have almost this exact same thing happen to me 5 years ago in high school that lasted for about a month and then went away.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? I must admit to being a little worried about it at one level, though at another I tell myself it is probably nothing.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysterious fatigue/aching

Post by reboot on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:11 pm

No to diagnose anything over the internet but the aches sound a lot like when I was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency. I had noticed leg pains like shin splints and figured it was just from jogging while old, but my MD tested my vitamin D level and I was hella low, like off the chart low. Apparently despite living in AZ and being in the sun all the time I was not producing enough because I wear sunblock. The pains were worse if I was feeling fatigued or stressed.

Luckily it is super easy to reverse. Spend time in the sun without sunblock on one part of your body (here it was rec'd 5 min in summer and 15 in winter, may be different in less sunny places). You can also take supplements
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Ugh, it hasn't gotten better. I've tried taking vitamin D supplements for the past few days, but so far have seen no improvement.

I've followed up with the GP, and he said he doesn't have any clear idea of what's going on. The next step is to talk to my psychiatrist about possible depression symptoms and do a sleep apnea test. Sad
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum