NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you listening to? The music rec thread.

+29
The Mikey
DoubtfulGuest
Amygdala
DragonEatsKnightCheckmate
eselle28
Jayce
HSavinien
litterature
KitKat
Fraulein42
BasedBuzzed
CP96
Chickpea Sarada
nearly_takuan
kath
caliseivy
WJMorris3
InkAndComb
Aggrax
reboot
The Wisp
Gentleman Johnny
UristMcBunny
ChrissyOrig
waxingjaney
Downvote
Gman
Enail
Robjection
33 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

What are you listening to? The music rec thread. - Page 8 Empty Re: What are you listening to? The music rec thread.

Post by Werel Tue May 03, 2016 2:55 pm

NEW RADIOHEAD Shiny/thrilled

edit: actually not sure how Shiny/thrilled I feel about the song, but the video is quality
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

What are you listening to? The music rec thread. - Page 8 Empty Re: What are you listening to? The music rec thread.

Post by litterature Sat May 07, 2016 6:12 am

yay!! the song is actually pretty Shiny/thrilled to me, if a little over the top!!

anyway, there's a definite family resemblance between all these tracks:

litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2016 6:10 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2016 1:13 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonEatsKnightCheckmate Mon May 09, 2016 3:51 pm

I've been relistening to my Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack (I'm actually pretty eclectic with music but this is just now in the moment):

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Last edited by HermitTheToad on Wed May 11, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed May 11, 2016 9:10 pm

litterature wrote:yay!! the song is actually pretty Shiny/thrilled to me, if a little over the top!!
Thoughts on the new album? I really like this track/video a lot (reminds me a little bit of Cliff Martinez' Solaris soundtrack), but the rest of it is... a little snoozy? Neutral

(Also, gosh, Thom's left eye gets exponentially more mystical with every passing year)

litterature wrote:
Thanks for this track, though. I'd always kinda-heard of 808 State and assumed they were from Hawaii (808 is our state area code and it's like a local pride thing), but no! Just some more damn Englishmen! But I dig the track. Smile
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu May 12, 2016 9:19 pm

I know it's sappy as heck, but I like it. I can only hope someday I find someone for whom the words ring true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue May 17, 2016 11:23 pm

ANOTHER THOUGHT ON NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM: It makes sense now that I'm listening to it as a breakup album; didn't realize Thom had split with his partner. The whole listless stripped-down vibe works with context.

SECOND (facetious edit: facetious is not the word I meant, dude is very attractive, more "joking") THOUGHT: Hot damn, Thom Yorke is single for the first time since I was 6 years old, editing my celebrity hall pass list Wink wink nudge nudg

THIRD THOUGHT: This is such a sexy slow jam

Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Weeereeelll! I'm not sure if you're still into Die Antwoord or nah after seeing their shitty live set but they've got a mixtape coming out tomorrow titled Suck on This. But they released some bomb fucking tracks from it on SoundCloud like "Gucci Coochie" (also serious NSFW cover for the single). I dunno, I dig it.

EDIT: The 1980s synth pop binge continues with more tracks found off Pandora, this time I've fallen for Yazoo, it's just... sooo... cyberpunk. I luuuurve it. Run in circles flail

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu May 19, 2016 12:39 am

HMMM. Okay, Gucci Coochie is a pretty tasty track, appreciating the lyrical throwback to "designer vaginas" in XPEN$IV $HIT. Grin

Dazed and Confused is a weird track, feels super 1999 to me (remember that moment when, like, everyone was trying to make psychedelic reggae-rap for white kids happen? I guess you were a little kid at the time, but I swear this was going on when I was in middle school Razz) but I think I might come around to it, Ninja's got a nice flow on it. Bum Bum is chill and not bad, but where is the hook? Give me a hook y'all.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19, 2016 1:15 am

Werel wrote:HMMM. Okay, Gucci Coochie is a pretty tasty track, appreciating the lyrical throwback to "designer vaginas" in XPEN$IV $HIT. Grin

Is it really?! I'll be honest, I was too entranced by the cover, the wall of sound and Dita's amazingly whispy voice to actually notice lol.

Werel wrote:Dazed and Confused is a weird track, feels super 1999 to me (remember that moment when, like, everyone was trying to make psychedelic reggae-rap for white kids happen? I guess you were a little kid at the time, but I swear this was going on when I was in middle school Razz) but I think I might come around to it, Ninja's got a nice flow on it. Bum Bum is chill and not bad, but where is the hook? Give me a hook y'all.

Now that you mention Dazed and Confused feels 1999, yeah you're kinda right. I was about 7 y/o when that shit was being rolled out and the closest frame of reference I got to psychedelic reggae-rap would be something like Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz frp, 2001 so, you're not completely off base there. Razz Anyway, Bum Bum is too slow for me and not like Die Antwoord at all. It's cool, but definitely different. My favorite track has absolutely got to be Gucci Coochie though to steal a line from Blades of Glory, "It's provocative... gets the people going!" ;D

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Thu May 19, 2016 2:54 pm

With the recent (read: less than 2 weeks ago as of this post) release of a game called Tadpole Treble, I have gotten hooked not just on the game but on one song in particular: Thunder Creek.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue May 24, 2016 10:26 pm

The Mikey wrote:
Werel wrote:HMMM. Okay, Gucci Coochie is a pretty tasty track, appreciating the lyrical throwback to "designer vaginas" in XPEN$IV $HIT. Grin

Is it really?! I'll be honest, I was too entranced by the cover, the wall of sound and Dita's amazingly whispy voice to actually notice lol.

Aiight Mikey tell me if I'm nuts here, but a disturbing realization: I thought I'd heard the hook in the chorus of Gucci Coochie somewhere, and I finally remembered which song I was thinking of: Dookoom, I Want You (just a clip, but you can hear that real similar hook). Note that Dookoom is another rap group from Cape Town, so it's pretty damn likely DA has heard this track. Did they just straight up lift that synth riff? I know it's just like a 3-note house progression and there can only be so many of those, but FFS it's awfully close.  Suspect If they're just stealing shit from other SA rappers now, I'm done with them.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon May 30, 2016 7:16 pm

Clark, you are such a beautiful composer, and no one except your spiritual brother Aphex Twin does dischord as well as you. What a gorgeous album Happy tears

Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Mon May 30, 2016 7:37 pm

Werel wrote:
litterature wrote:yay!! the song is actually pretty Shiny/thrilled to me, if a little over the top!!
Thoughts on the new album? I really like this track/video a lot (reminds me a little bit of Cliff Martinez' Solaris soundtrack), but the rest of it is... a little snoozy? Neutral

(Also, gosh, Thom's left eye gets exponentially more mystical with every passing year)

litterature wrote:
Thanks for this track, though. I'd always kinda-heard of 808 State and assumed they were from Hawaii (808 is our state area code and it's like a local pride thing), but no! Just some more damn Englishmen! But I dig the track. Smile

Hey Werel! I'm sorry I took so long to reply! I actually hadn't listened to the album until yesterday, and so far I like the empty? vibes but, yeah, I agree that it does get a bit snoozy.
I liked that video too! I'm probably going to say a really silly thing, but since Thom goes through a lot of different settings in it and there are a lot of shifts in colour and atmosphere I liked imagining how each place felt as I watched the video, ending with the fire inside the cave. Also, rofl at Thom's mystical eye! I have to say his face at the end creeped me out a bit...

I'm glad you liked the track! I think they're named after a Roland drum machine, but one of their most well-known tracks is actually called "Pacific" so maybe there's a connection (hopefully one not involving lobster tans?!)

Anyway, I've been listening to My Parents' Favorite Music a lot lately. I guess certain kinds of hip-hop don't have the most cred but it's been really important for me to find out that there's this nerdy trans girl out there making nerdy music I can totally relate to. So much that I've actually spent this past week sampling old videogames?!

P.S. Clark! You've got the best musical taste ever Grin

P.S.2: Mikey: that Yazoo track is awesome. What do you think about The Human League's first album? It doesn't sound like Yazoo at all but I've always liked its futuristic, sci-fi, slightly Ballardian vibe, since you mention cyberpunk...
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Tue May 31, 2016 7:20 pm

By the same guys as what did Thunder Creek, here is a rather light and amusing song about pausing your video games.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:24 pm

While Simpsonwave started out as a joke more or less... it's actually pretty addicting and very cool and very relaxing. I may have to acquire a bunch of this stuff for this summer...

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:17 pm

This song includes like a minute-long spoken list of people and things that should be thrown off a cliff, and all of them make me laugh and miss grouchy Detroit scenesters.

Throw 'em from the rock!:
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Werel wrote:
Aiight Mikey tell me if I'm nuts here, but a disturbing realization: I thought I'd heard the hook in the chorus of Gucci Coochie somewhere, and I finally remembered which song I was thinking of: Dookoom, I Want You (just a clip, but you can hear that real similar hook). Note that Dookoom is another rap group from Cape Town, so it's pretty damn likely DA has heard this track. Did they just straight up lift that synth riff? I know it's just like a 3-note house progression and there can only be so many of those, but FFS it's awfully close.  Suspect If they're just stealing shit from other SA rappers now, I'm done with them.

I don't know why I didn't see this earlier.

But to answer your question, hmmmm... I dunno, it's possible.

Mikey's Questionable and Amateur Musician Opinion: It's possible that Die Antwoord was 'influenced' by "I Want You" similar to how The Doors were influenced by "Papa's got a Brand New Bag" and "What I'd Say". Meaning, you can definitely hear that they're the same notes (or similar-ish notes that are close together) but are arranged very differently and are timed also very differently. I actually tried playing both riffs on my guitar (by ear, humble-brag~) and I think the beats are near identical, I also wanna say that perhaps both songs are in the same F key (again, I'm not a musician). Though they do share one note, F♯/G♭. Die Antwoord's riff uses (from me listening and plotting out the notes on guitar) reads as F, F♯/G♭, A; whereas Dookoom's riff by listening to it is F♯/G♭, G, A♯/B♭.

Again, I'm not an expert but they're very similarish sounding notes when clumped together like that, so it's easy to mistake them for one another. Or maybe they did rip-off Dookoom, I dunno. Only Ninja and Yolandi will know. Razz

Though I think the sample kings will always be Daft Punk, they sample, but they make completely original music outta those samples.

litterature wrote:
P.S.2: Mikey: that Yazoo track is awesome. What do you think about The Human League's first album? It doesn't sound like Yazoo at all but I've always liked its futuristic, sci-fi, slightly Ballardian vibe, since you mention cyberpunk...

Litterature, I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier! D:

I'm listening to Reproduction now and woah, holy shit, that first track is... something else, definitely ahead of it's time. Though I think I get Nintendo vibes from some of the tracks, like higher fidelity/cleaner 8-bit music. Razz Yeah, very rave-y, seriously sci-fi sounding and definitely reminiscent of cyberpunk stuff. Since I'm not 100% familiar with a lot of early synth/electropop music I would have thought Reproduction was some early mellow Lazerhawk or underground Kavinsky tapes. I like what I'm hearing! Shiny/thrilled Though, tbh with you, I enjoy electronic instrumentals more, the human voice kinda breaks the flow of the music, but provides a nice contrast I guess. IZ GUUD. Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Daaaamn Mikey, I wasn't expecting a legit musical analysis with notation, props to you for incredible thoroughness Laughing Given the differences, I'll chalk it up to "inspiration" rather than "flagrant theft." Wink
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:42 pm

Werel wrote:Daaaamn Mikey, I wasn't expecting a legit musical analysis with notation, props to you for incredible thoroughness Laughing Given the differences, I'll chalk it up to "inspiration" rather than "flagrant theft." Wink

You're very welcome and thanks. :3 Hopefully the disclaimers will clear up any inaccuracies that may pop-up as corrections from real musicians doing legit fact checking. Trust me if I had a piano and memorized all the notes, I'd double-check using that versus my guitar. Razz

To this day I still can't read music, sadly. Run in circles flail

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:14 pm

The Mikey wrote:Litterature, I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier! D:

I'm listening to Reproduction now and woah, holy shit, that first track is... something else, definitely ahead of it's time. Though I think I get Nintendo vibes from some of the tracks, like higher fidelity/cleaner 8-bit music. Razz Yeah, very rave-y, seriously sci-fi sounding and definitely reminiscent of cyberpunk stuff. Since I'm not 100% familiar with a lot of early synth/electropop music I would have thought Reproduction was some early mellow Lazerhawk or underground Kavinsky tapes. I like what I'm hearing! Shiny/thrilled Though, tbh with you, I enjoy electronic instrumentals more, the human voice kinda breaks the flow of the music, but provides a nice contrast I guess. IZ GUUD. Grin

Don't worry! I'm utter pants at replying on time too :<

Glad you liked the album! Yeah, I agree Phil Oakey's voice is a bit of an acquired taste, but personally I do like it! You might also like John Foxx's Metamatic, which is in a similar Nintendo vein, although his voice can get a bit grating. The Units also have some nice tracks, but the acoustic drumming sort of detracts from the otherwise very futuristic sound, so the end product is a bit like a less tongue-in-cheek version of Devo's Duty Now for the Future album. I wonder if you might like late-80's EBM, like Front 242 or Front Line Assembly. It's dancier stuff and less chippy-sounding, but some of it is very obviously inspired in actual cyberpunk works!
If you're interested in instrumentals, maybe you might like some of the more recent Detroit electro. Again, it's dancier stuff, but you might like some of Gerald Donald's less hardcore aliases, such as Arpanet or Japanese Telecom.

I'll leave a bunch of tracks here! Hope something catches your attention!

Spoiler:
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:47 am

litterature wrote:
The Mikey wrote:Litterature, I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier! D:

Don't worry! I'm utter pants at replying on time too :<

Glad you liked the album! Yeah, I agree Phil Oakey's voice is a bit of an acquired taste, but personally I do like it! You might also like John Foxx's Metamatic, which is in a similar Nintendo vein, although his voice can get a bit grating. The Units also have some nice tracks, but the acoustic drumming sort of detracts from the otherwise very futuristic sound, so the end product is a bit like a less tongue-in-cheek version of Devo's Duty Now for the Future album. I wonder if you might like late-80's EBM, like Front 242 or Front Line Assembly. It's dancier stuff and less chippy-sounding, but some of it is very obviously inspired in actual cyberpunk works!
If you're interested in instrumentals, maybe you might like some of the more recent Detroit electro. Again, it's dancier stuff, but you might like some of Gerald Donald's less hardcore aliases, such as Arpanet or Japanese Telecom.

I'll leave a bunch of tracks here! Hope something catches your attention!

Ooooh I'll have to check em' out laater then. Thanks! Shiny/thrilled

And now for some tunes that popped up on my Black Sabbath Pandora station that I first heard when I was 16... yeah, I really have a knack for being into old heavy metal from before I was born.
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum