Fanfic Tropes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fanfic Tropes

Post by reboundstudent on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm a huge fan of fanfiction, but there's no denying that the quality can be.... varied. I've also noticed over the years that there are definite tropes that pop up over and over again in fanfiction in a way that doesn't happen as often in just regular popular media.

For the record, I am also a writer of fanfiction! I thought it would be rather fun to collect a set of fanfic tropes, make drinking game bingo cards, and then read through one of my own writings to see if how many I've subconsciously inserted. Would anyone else on the forum get a kick out of doing this with me? (Either with my writing, their writing, or a random fanfic.)

Once you've got your bingo card and your fanfic, the rules are: find a trope, take a drink. Get a bingo, finish your drink.

Here are some of the trope lists I have already:

-Repeated emphasis on how special the hero/heroine is with little to no demonstration of their uniqueness
-On the other side of the scale, the hero/heroine frequently angst-ing about how not special and average they are, only for everyone around them to insist they are the most incredible, amazing person. Bonus points if love interest is interested in protagonist because of their unique specialness
-Hero/heroine is frequently obstinate, mouthy, or flat out mean, and yet other characters still love them and act as if that's a charming or, at worst, "edgy" way to behave
-Technicolor eyes or hair
-The useless, disposable love interest in a love triangle. Bonus points if there are multiple disposable love interests to demonstrate how extra desirable the hero/heroine is
-Other characters repeatedly remark on how much love interest is into hero/heroine
-Any variation of Draco In Leather Pants
-Belligerent sexual tension
-More than a handful of popular media references. Bonus points if there are actual song lyrics in the fanfic
-Smirking. Constant, ever present smirking. Bonus points if smirking is accompanied by equal parts snark

You guys got any I missed?
reboundstudent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fanfic Tropes

Post by reboot on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:05 am

I am in! I do not read fanfic much, but I loves me some bingo
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:38 am

You know I'm in...tomorrow?
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:21 am

Adding adult edge and seriousness to non-adult and non-serious media
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:11 am

I have 2 that really bother me when I see them.

1) Blatantly mis-characterizing a character in order to facilitate the authors favored pairing.

2) Writing out or marginalizing characters who aren't "badass" or "cool" because the author can't think of anything to do with them.

I wouldn't mind getting in on the bingo thing. If you don't mind my asking, what series do you write fanfiction for?
Aggrax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:21 am

-inorganic infodumping
-child prodigies not written like children

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:19 am

Ah yes, I used to browse a few fandoms' fanfics. I even started writing one at one point, although not one of the self-insert varieties.

One that's almost ubiquitous in the Animaniacs fandom is that the hero/heroine will be the same species as whatever the Warners are. Bonus points if they were originally human and were transformed into this species. I'm wondering if other cartoons' fanfics suffer a similar fate.

Aside from that, I have also seen these ones:
reboundstudent wrote:-The useless, disposable love interest in a love triangle. Bonus points if there are multiple disposable love interests to demonstrate how extra desirable the hero/heroine is
-Other characters repeatedly remark on how much love interest is into hero/heroine
-Belligerent sexual tension
-More than a handful of popular media references. Bonus points if there are actual song lyrics in the fanfic
-Smirking. Constant, ever present smirking. Bonus points if smirking is accompanied by equal parts snark
bomaye wrote:Adding adult edge and seriousness to non-adult and non-serious media
Aggrax wrote:1) Blatantly mis-characterizing a character in order to facilitate the authors favored pairing.

2) Writing out or marginalizing characters who aren't "badass" or "cool" because the author can't think of anything to do with them.
Especially Aggrax's #2 - again, I'm referring to the Animaniacs fandom here, but the only canon characters that seem to make it into any fanfics these days are the Warners.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:26 am

It's been a while since I've read fanfiction, almost 10 years since I've written fanfiction!  But I still remember laughing/eye-rolling at recurring tropes in the fics I've read back in high school, and would like to contribute to the bingo card.

- Fanon; Character traits that are not in the canon story, but are so ubiquitous that they practically are a canon in the fans' universe.  Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha doesn't have a castle.  Inuyasha himself does not purr when his ears are scratched (he's a dog half-demon, not cat!)  Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho is not addicted to sugar or "Sweet snow" (ice cream).  In Naruto, "Tobi is a good boy" is not Tobi's catchphrase (Zetsu said it.  Once.)  These things probably started as jokes but ended up taking over.

- High school AU's.

- Making the canon protagonist dress/act according to the author's tastes even if it mischaracterizes them.  For example, someone who usually wears pastel dresses wearing goth in the fanfic.
Chickpea Sarada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum