NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thin Privilege, Body Shaming, and Bad Feminism

+8
KMR
PintsizeBro
jcorozza
eselle28
caliseivy
Wondering
Caffeinated
reboundstudent
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thin Privilege, Body Shaming, and Bad Feminism - Page 2 Empty Re: Thin Privilege, Body Shaming, and Bad Feminism

Post by jcorozza Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:11 am

You would think, right? I've actually never had an issue with therapists, only with psychiatrists and doctors, who should absolutely know better. My sister's doctor, when she went in possibly being depressed, told her that she probably didn't need an anti-depressant because she seemed "strong enough" that she didn't need it.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Thin Privilege, Body Shaming, and Bad Feminism - Page 2 Empty Re: Thin Privilege, Body Shaming, and Bad Feminism

Post by reboundstudent Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:08 pm

jcorozza wrote:You would think, right?  I've actually never had an issue with therapists, only with psychiatrists and doctors, who should absolutely know better.  My sister's doctor, when she went in possibly being depressed, told her that she probably didn't need an anti-depressant because she seemed "strong enough" that she didn't need it.

Thin Privilege, Body Shaming, and Bad Feminism - Page 2 Joseline-Rolls-Eyes

I will say the "social chatter" didn't help. I was on a dating forum during that time, and of course going on the antidepressant made my weight shoot right back up; none of the guys could understand why I'd chosen to "do that" to myself, especially as it was apparently dooming me to a Life Alone Forever to be "fat" again. I guess the idea was because I was skinnier, I'd attract men, and thus no longer have any reason to be depressed. No
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Perlandra Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 am

Wow, Marty, that's pretty rude of them, though not as unprofessional as the psychologists doing it.

Jcorozza, that's really horrid! Even if someone is strong and coping well, putting it that way sounds more depressing and uncaring.

Perlandra

Back to top Go down

Post by HSavinien Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:56 am

This is my favorite thing ever regarding bodies and NOT SHAMING PEOPLE, for craps sake.
HSavinien
HSavinien

http://hsavinien.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum