Thin Privilege, Body Shaming, and Bad Feminism

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Thin Privilege, Body Shaming, and Bad Feminism

Post by jcorozza on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:11 am

You would think, right? I've actually never had an issue with therapists, only with psychiatrists and doctors, who should absolutely know better. My sister's doctor, when she went in possibly being depressed, told her that she probably didn't need an anti-depressant because she seemed "strong enough" that she didn't need it.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:08 pm

jcorozza wrote:You would think, right?  I've actually never had an issue with therapists, only with psychiatrists and doctors, who should absolutely know better.  My sister's doctor, when she went in possibly being depressed, told her that she probably didn't need an anti-depressant because she seemed "strong enough" that she didn't need it.

I will say the "social chatter" didn't help. I was on a dating forum during that time, and of course going on the antidepressant made my weight shoot right back up; none of the guys could understand why I'd chosen to "do that" to myself, especially as it was apparently dooming me to a Life Alone Forever to be "fat" again. I guess the idea was because I was skinnier, I'd attract men, and thus no longer have any reason to be depressed. No
reboundstudent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Perlandra on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 am

Wow, Marty, that's pretty rude of them, though not as unprofessional as the psychologists doing it.

Jcorozza, that's really horrid! Even if someone is strong and coping well, putting it that way sounds more depressing and uncaring.

Perlandra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HSavinien on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:56 am

This is my favorite thing ever regarding bodies and NOT SHAMING PEOPLE, for craps sake.
HSavinien

View user profile http://hsavinien.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum