NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Politics and Current Events

+28
sky
nearly_takuan
Aggrax
waxingjaney
Izmuth
Amygdala
Prajnaparamita
WolfBlitzer
ElizaJane
caliseivy
reboundstudent
Robjection
JP McBride
Wondering
BasedBuzzed
bomaye
eselle28
WJMorris3
Werel
jcorozza
Suika
Hirundo Bos
litterature
The Wisp
kath
Enail
Caffeinated
reboot
32 posters

Page 7 of 33 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 33  Next

Go down

Politics and Current Events - Page 7 Empty Re: Politics and Current Events

Post by Caffeinated Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:27 pm

I feel like I can lose a whole day just reading and reposting things about the refugee crisis. It's so frustrating and sad. When did this country turn so cowardly? What happened to "the home of the brave"?
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:30 pm

What happened to the story of us (for values of "us" that exclude a lot of Americans. Sad ) being a nation of refugees and immigrants?

The week before Thanksgiving, no less!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:33 pm

I've been really shocked and disappointed by how much anti-refugee sentiment and racism and Islamophobia there's been here in Canada, too.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Now is a pretty good time to give some hours or money to your local refugee services organization. Even five bucks helps by lengthening their donor list, which they can point to as an indicator of public support. Every dollar you give, or carpool you provide to a social services office, or hour you spend with them working on their English or subway-riding skills or job applications, is a big fat middle finger to the hateful xenophobes in addition to being a help to somebody who needs it.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Enail wrote:I've been really shocked and disappointed by how much anti-refugee sentiment and racism and Islamophobia there's been here in Canada, too.

It's probably overstated

These kinds of things just give those people the okay to say things out loud every once in awhile
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:37 pm

There've been several Muslim women harassed and arson at a mosque already in Toronto. Sad  It's not a lot of incidents, but it's way too many.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Werel wrote:Now is a pretty good time to give some hours or money to your local refugee services organization. Even five bucks helps by lengthening their donor list, which they can point to as an indicator of public support. Every dollar you give, or carpool you provide to a social services office, or hour you spend with them working on their English or subway-riding skills or job applications, is a big fat middle finger to the hateful xenophobes in addition to being a help to somebody who needs it.

Thank you so much for this suggestion, and especially for pointing out the part about lengthening their donor list to indicate public support. I feel better being to do something, even if it's only a little thing.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:48 pm

RIGHT? I...am ashamed that this seems to be a majority of people in the US right now, including my dad.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:48 pm

I actually was asked, "Well, would you want them living next door to you?" by someone who I would have thought would know better the other day. Why would I care whether my neighbors were Syrian? I'm guessing most refugees would be better neighbors than Family Who Leave Their Trash Bags in the Hallway for Days or Dude Who Thinks His Mustang Needs Two Parking Spaces in any case.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:01 am

Thing that drives me most batshit is that the vast majority of the refugees are Christian, Yazdi, secular Syrians, gay Syrians, etc. That is why they left Syria. The people we do not want in the country are not leaving. They are happily winning their war and building their caliphate.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Grace Mugabe: First Lady of Zimbabwe Says Women With Miniskirts Are at 'Fault' for Rape

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Ol' Grace sure takes the cake. Or all kind of cakes, like the 3-month PhD and having married Robert motherfucking Mugabe.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:05 pm

Two South Korean Warships (invited for Korean War memorial stuff) made it over 1000km down the St Lawrence River before anyone, including the Canadian naval defense forces, knew they were there

We're there to be had, conquering powers of the world Laughing
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:45 pm

No, Captain Combover, thousands of people in New Jersey didn't cheer when 9/11 happened. Go fellate a cactus, why don't you, and stop spewing [barnyard epithet].
WJMorris3
WJMorris3

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:19 pm

When did this Know Nothingness take over our country? Although there now are adults today who can't remember 9/11, I suspect most of Donald Trump's supporters were old enough to remember and have been paying attention in the days afterwards.

It's bad enough that people refuse to believe overwhelming scientific research or legal documentation when it doesn't suit their preferred version of the facts. This seems especially bad, though, because it seems like people are willing to substitute urban legend for any way of documenting facts.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:32 pm

Stephen Colbert called it Truthiness a decade ago, so at least that long. Sad

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:37 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's always been there, but we've only really noticed it through political data-mining/wedge-politics/micro-targeting, and more and more social media availability
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:59 pm

We run on bad hardware, filter bubbles and a world that's getting more and more complicated. New blatant falsehoods get told and retold as truth every day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Not a totally current event, since this has been the case since the 60s, but I have only just now learned that Hawaii is not covered by NATO. Attacks on the other 49 states trigger the treaty, but not us. Carte blanche to come at us, bros! Party
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:58 pm

So, apparently Texas is suing to stop the resettlement of a Syrian family expected to arrive in the state soon.

The family of six includes a husband and wife, their 4-year-old girl and 7-year-old boy, and the husband’s parents, said Weiss-Armush, head of the DFW International Community Alliance.

The spokeswoman added that the the family serving as the first test case has ties to another Syrian who was resettled here in February -- that man, Faez al Sharaa, 28, is Tamman's half-brother, she said.
Faez, who told TIME Magazine that he fled Syria in early 2013 after being detained at gunpoint, has been very happy in Texas, Weiss-Armush said.
"Like most of the Syrian refugees we serve, he works at Wal-Mart," Weiss-Armush said, although she added that he is looking for another job. "All he has ever asked me for is a job."

Gosh, these people sound absolutely terrifying. I can see why the state is so very frightened. Facepalm
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 am

Maryam Namazie gave a talk (ignore the alarmist title of the vid, this is really not that spectacular as far interruptions by a hostile crowd go, just observe the behaviour at the highlighted times): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ZiZdz5nao&lc=z135tho45naufb3ev220frji3w2kdvgoi04

I'm not sure if I'm hearing it right but they're addressing the speaker as "dear" during the interruptions, and it's so utterly striking how laddish it all is. It's that place where you bed your convinctions in a "just 'avin a giggle, m8", partly because you don't want to be pinned down on any actual beliefs you hold and partly because acting like a dick makes you seem so much better than those who are invested in anything. Really, any framework that makes you feel morally superior will do, as long as it goes paired with a veneer to mask nihilisim("everything is sinful and there's paradise in the next life", "everything is hopelessly infected by progressivism and we can at least get a few hoots and memes in before it all collapses", "everyone hurts because they care and I'll help them grow a thicker skin", "everyone is biased and I'm too small to really create systematic change so I might as well as break in a few problematic folks so they won't hurt anyone else"). But it's "If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do", not "if nothing we do matters, then everything can be excused". I could probably have a drink(perhaps non-alcoholic) with all of the groups above, because they fascinate me and fascination is catnip to people who have it all figured out. And I keep wondering what speaker it would take for me to be one of those twats in the front row.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:45 pm

I don't know much about journalistic ethics or best practices, but is today's media melee in the San Bernardino shooters' apartment accurately described as "journalistic malpractice"? I mean I know rifling through shoeboxes of photographs of children related to dead criminals on live television while going "this appears to be pictures of children" is some nauseating satirical-dystopia-level shit, but does it actually go against what journalists are taught to do? Does strategically repositioning an orphaned infant's belongings for maximum pathos constitute bad practice of journalism?
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:17 am

Doxxing someone's mom, a person who had nothing to do with this whatsoever, should be a violation of ethics.

Pair that with Trump saying we should kill terrorists' families. Now this woman is essentially in mortal danger.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:13 am

First thing I thought when Captain Combover said we should kill terrorists' families...

We are signatories to the Geneva Convention, right? Because that's called a war crime.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Donald Trump wants to ban all Muslims from entering the USA. It's like he wants to make America hate again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 33 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum