NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Politics and Current Events

+28
sky
nearly_takuan
Aggrax
waxingjaney
Izmuth
Amygdala
Prajnaparamita
WolfBlitzer
ElizaJane
caliseivy
reboundstudent
Robjection
JP McBride
Wondering
BasedBuzzed
bomaye
eselle28
WJMorris3
Werel
jcorozza
Suika
Hirundo Bos
litterature
The Wisp
kath
Enail
Caffeinated
reboot
32 posters

Page 11 of 33 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 33  Next

Go down

Politics and Current Events - Page 11 Empty Re: Politics and Current Events

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:48 am

Wow. In terms of the Florida primary, the Orlando Sun-Sentinel has endorsed the Montgomery Brewster vote.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:41 am

LtCol Tammy Duckworth is running for Senate in Illinois. A note, she's a double amputee, having lost both her lower legs.

Leave it to the GOP to accuse her of not "standing up for veterans".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:46 am

WJMorris3 wrote:LtCol Tammy Duckworth is running for Senate in Illinois. A note, she's a double amputee, having lost both her lower legs.

Leave it to the GOP to accuse her of not "standing up for veterans".

Okay, seriously, can't the GOP do ANYTHING right? Don't get me wrong, democrats have done some shady shit in the past too, but man has the Republican Party been fucking up left & right within the last 2 years. Shit, two or three years ago, they were trying really hard to be more inclusionary and a tiny bit progressive. Hell, they were calling an end to the wars in the Middle East. Ha, not anymore!

Just, ugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:42 pm

I'm starting to think the GOP has turned into a giant Trumpster fire.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Don't you mean Drumpfster? Wink

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by JP McBride Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:11 am

I want Obama to nominate Hillary to the Supreme Court just to troll the GOP.

JP McBride

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:53 pm

Donald Trump is blaming Bernie Sanders for the violence at his rallies.

He's blaming a Jew for his problems. That's not the best way to convince people you're not the next Hitler.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Maybe Ivanka, being Jewish, can tell him that? One can only hope.

Here's Sanders's official response, by the way:
https://berniesanders.com/press-release/sanders-statement-donald-trump/

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:38 pm

I just want to avoid the news until election day and vote for whoever is not the GOP. At this point I would vote for slime mold instead of whatever nutjob the Republicans put on their ticket.

I have reached political burnout and we have not even made it through the primaries Sad
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:09 am

Rubio's lost Florida and bowed out. Kasich has won Ohio but hardly has any delegates in total. He's the only establishment Republican left now.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm disappointed Obama picked an old white guy for the Supreme Court. Maybe he was trying to mitigate the Republican opposition, but they're going to try to stonewall anyway, so he might as well have gone for it with a woman, person of color, or woman of color.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Wondering wrote:I'm disappointed Obama picked an old white guy for the Supreme Court. Maybe he was trying to mitigate the Republican opposition, but they're going to try to stonewall anyway, so he might as well have gone for it with a woman, person of color, or woman of color.

I lean the other way on this one. When Obama knew his justices would be confirmed, he chose a white woman and a woman of color. I think that this time he's picking a white man in part because it's a sacrifice nomination. I think his primary goal is to make the GOP look as bad as possible by nominating someone who they have no reasonable objection to, but I think he also suspects that Hillary Clinton will be the next president. There are several very elderly justices, and I wonder if Obama wanted to take care not to select anyone who Clinton would want to nominate later and burden that potential nominee with some extra political baggage. By that measure, Garland is a good candidate, as I think we can predict that Clinton would herself prefer to nominate women and people of color or at least that she wouldn't be terribly interested in a moderate white man in his 60s.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:57 pm

My faith in a Clinton win is getting less and less as Trump continues. So I'm concerned about Obama's choice. Sad

In Drumpf news, apparently, the racism of his voters cost him at least one delegate in Illinois last night, where the delegates' names are on the ballot for voting. Two of Trump's delegates had Middle Eastern sounding names, and didn't get as many votes as his European-sounding-names delegates.

Here's Vox's article on it. I like this quote in particular: "But if it's true that Trump voters allowed anti-Muslim sentiment to override their loyalty to the candidate, that's a bad sign for the Trump campaign — a sign that it still might not understand or be able to control the Islamophobia it's unleashed."

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/16/11244884/trump-delegates-muslim-fakroddin

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by JP McBride Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:08 pm

eselle28 wrote:
Wondering wrote:I'm disappointed Obama picked an old white guy for the Supreme Court. Maybe he was trying to mitigate the Republican opposition, but they're going to try to stonewall anyway, so he might as well have gone for it with a woman, person of color, or woman of color.

I lean the other way on this one. When Obama knew his justices would be confirmed, he chose a white woman and a woman of color. I think that this time he's picking a white man in part because it's a sacrifice nomination. I think his primary goal is to make the GOP look as bad as possible by nominating someone who they have no reasonable objection to, but I think he also suspects that Hillary Clinton will be the next president. There are several very elderly justices, and I wonder if Obama wanted to take care not to select anyone who Clinton would want to nominate later and burden that potential nominee with some extra political baggage. By that measure, Garland is a good candidate, as I think we can predict that Clinton would herself prefer to nominate women and people of color or at least that she wouldn't be terribly interested in a moderate white man in his 60s.

He's totally going to get confirmed. Obama's probably seen this sort of showdown coming miles away.

JP McBride

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:16 pm

I don't think that dentists are an acceptable substitute for Planned Parenthood.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:42 pm

All of this hinges on the current case before the Supreme Court. If the court knocks down the Texas law, these other states will be hard pressed to have their laws hold up in court. If the Supreme Court does not knock down the Texas law, laws like it are up for grabs everywhere else.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:52 pm

Wondering wrote:All of this hinges on the current case before the Supreme Court. If the court knocks down the Texas law, these other states will be hard pressed to have their laws hold up in court. If the Supreme Court does not knock down the Texas law, laws like it are up for grabs everywhere else.
Why I won't be happy until there is a woman in every political office in the country.

...I mean, nobody questioned it while they were all men, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:04 pm

The Notorious RBG shares your feeling:

Ginsburg said that she is often asked how many women on the Supreme Court would be “enough.”

Her answer? “When there are nine.”

“For most of the country’s history, there were nine and they were all men. Nobody thought that was strange,” she explained.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/20/ruth_bader_ginsburg_wants_to_see_9_women_on_the_supreme_court/

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:09 pm

There is an infestation of Republican candidates in my state right now firing up our already hard right population. My $$ is on Trump taking AZ. Democrats are probably going to go with Clinton because she has been working hard at getting out the Hispanic vote.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Aren't you in AZ? That's McCain territory, right? Pretty establishment GOP, there. I read an article a while back about his base doing what they could through the back end party channels to decimate the Tea Party. It's really too bad that it looks like Trump in AZ, then. Sad

I don't know which Republican will win here. The Seattle Times endorsed Kasich, if he's still in the running. Our primary is in May. I have a feeling Trump will, though, because of that freak base being fired up. Our Dem caucus is this weekend. The Seattle Times also endorsed Sanders. I think Sanders has a very good chance here, as well as in Oregon.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:59 pm

Wondering wrote:Aren't you in AZ? That's McCain territory, right? Pretty establishment GOP, there. I read an article a while back about his base doing what they could through the back end party channels to decimate the Tea Party. It's really too bad that it looks like Trump in AZ, then. Sad

I don't know which Republican will win here. The Seattle Times endorsed Kasich, if he's still in the running. Our primary is in May. I have a feeling Trump will, though, because of that freak base being fired up. Our Dem caucus is this weekend. The Seattle Times also endorsed Sanders. I think Sanders has a very good chance here, as well as in Oregon.

Our senators are GOP establishment. All but one of our Republican house reps (5 of 9) are batshit crazy (the not crazy is in a mixed district that goes back and forth based on <1000 votes). However, 30% of the state is registered independent. Some are independent because they are centerist, but others are because the GOP is too moderate. Those folks are probably going the turn out big time for Trump.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:24 pm

Oh, gotcha.

That actually fits with something my husband was reading about Montana, which has open primaries, meaning anyone can vote in the Republican primary whether they're registered GOP or not. The GOP there is petitioning a judge to close the primary because, apparently, Trump does worse in states with closed primaries.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:27 pm

All I know is I'm submitting my withdrawal from the Democratic party because I don't know which primary I want to vote in in June.

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:43 am

I find it ironic that Trump, who gets lauded as tough enough to stand up to dictators like Putin, revealed in the Washington Post interview that his foreign policy ideas are basically "Let someone else deal with Putin" and "make everyone else pay for our protection."

It's almost like he doesn't understand geopolitics
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:04 am

bomaye wrote:I find it ironic that Trump, who gets lauded as tough enough to stand up to dictators like Putin, revealed in the Washington Post interview that his foreign policy ideas are basically "Let someone else deal with Putin" and "make everyone else pay for our protection."

It's almost like he doesn't understand geopolitics

But he talks to himself about it and has a good brain, how could he not know everything? Grin

I now know how the Italians felt with Berlusconi
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 33 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum