Dumb Donald was so dumb...

(Audience: HOW DUMB WAS HE?)

...he thought Barack Obama was a secret <<BLANK.>>

(cue "wank" think music)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Politics and Current Events

Post by Enail on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Even if Donald Trump were fairly ineffectual as a president in terms of doing terrible presidenty things, I'd be pretty worried about an increase in hate crimes and scapegoating, given how he's attracting and encouraging racists and white supremacists.

On the plus side, y'all wouldn't have a leg to stand laughing at Toronto for Rob Ford anymore.Wink
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Enail wrote:Even if Donald Trump were fairly ineffectual as a president in terms of doing terrible presidenty things, I'd be pretty worried about an increase in hate crimes and scapegoating, given how he's attracting and encouraging racists and white supremacists.

On the plus side, y'all wouldn't have a leg to stand laughing at Toronto for Rob Ford anymore.Wink
Does he still have enough to eat at home?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:15 pm

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:17 pm

I still don't foresee Trump getting the nomination or winning if he did, but if he gets elected, there's actually quite a lot of damage he could do in the first two years in office because an election that sweeps in Trump would also inevitably sweep in a Republican Congress, and he could push things through.

That's how Obama was able to get the healthcare act through: By doing it right away when he had a majority of his party in Congress. So with Trump I would worry, healthcare: gone. Welfare: gone. Immigration reform: gone. Minimum wage: gone. Women's rights: degraded.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Republicans don't like him though, so they might just cockblock him as much as they try to do to Obama
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:51 pm

I think it would depend what his exact agenda is. I think many Republicans are turned off by his manner and by what they suspect is an indifference to religion and related issues, but I suspect they could all work together to pass a vast reduction of tax rates (I suspect this is one of the few things he actually cares about), scrap Obamacare, and enact draconian immigration policies. People don't need to like each other to recognize allies. I'd be worried about what he'd do on the domestic front. I'm even more concerned about him as a possible commander in chief, as I don't trust his judgment and suspect that he's not someone who could be influenced much by his staff.

That being said, I doubt Trump will be nominated. On the off chance he is, I have difficulty imagining any conditions under which he can win. He appeals to the angrier, less devout faction of the Tea Party, but another portion of people who vote that way are old fashioned and religiously devout. People I know of that general type are offended by his crudeness and his behavior toward women (they'd call it a lack of chivalry rather than sexism, but the result is the same). He's also not very strong on policy, especially foreign policy, and I think more hawkish Republicans will be concerned on that front.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:21 am

That Kentucky county clerk who won't issue marriage licenses has been ordered to jail.

Which will help nothing. It's an elected position, so she can't be fired, and now all her supporters will scream she's been jailed for her religion. Not that fines would have helped, either. Some supporter would just have started a Kickstarter fund to pay her fines, I'm sure.

Sigh.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:27 am

A little piece of hope in that situation? The judge who jailed her is about as right wing as they come. Bush appointee, son of a former Kentucky Senator (whose seat is now occupied by Rand Paul), identifies himself as a practicing Catholic. I think there are some people who'd call her a martyr whatever happened, but hopefully the more reasonable people who support her might take into consideration that there's more to this than political or cultural conflicts. It's about upholding your oath of office.

This also means that the deputy clerks can now issue marriage licenses. I've been reading that Davis is sort of on a one-woman crusade and that her subordinates don't support her, so jailing her will allow couples in that county to marry.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 am

eselle28 wrote:This also means that the deputy clerks can now issue marriage licenses. I've been reading that Davis is sort of on a one-woman crusade and that her subordinates don't support her, so jailing her will allow couples in that county to marry.

Oh, does it? Okay, I hadn't read that part. Good! Get some people married, Rowan County!

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:59 am

Wondering wrote:
eselle28 wrote:This also means that the deputy clerks can now issue marriage licenses. I've been reading that Davis is sort of on a one-woman crusade and that her subordinates don't support her, so jailing her will allow couples in that county to marry.

Oh, does it? Okay, I hadn't read that part. Good! Get some people married, Rowan County!

Technically, the deputies were given half an hour to decide whether they'd be willing to comply with the order to issue licenses or whether they'd like to be in contempt as well. The hearing is going on now. That being said, I've heard they don't support her and never really did, and even if that's not the case I suspect it's unlikely that there's an entire office full of people who not only agree with Davis but who are willing to go to jail over the issue.

EDIT: Hearing's over now. 5 out of 6 deputies say they'll issue licenses while Davis is in custody. The one who won't is Davis's son.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:42 pm

From which marriage? Wink

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Wondering wrote:Not that fines would have helped, either. Some supporter would just have started a Kickstarter fund to pay her fines, I'm sure.

I saw this phenomenon described as "wingnut welfare" somewhere and snortled.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:25 pm

I have to ask my friends north of the border.

There are six major parties in Canada from what I can gather. Should they not all be at the debates for the election?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:13 pm

I was surprised at 6, so I went to look it up, and I'd never even heard of the Strength in Democracy party before Laughing. As far as I can tell, it's made up of two people who were voted in as members of other parties in the last election, so they have never won seats in Parliment, which is probably why they're not being treated as a major party.

Depending on who you ask and what your criteria are, most people would say we have anywhere from 3 to 5 major parties at the moment. There's the big three, who have been around for a long time, have consistently had representation in the House of Commons and are generally considered to have some chance of winning provincial or federal elections. There's the Bloc Quebecois, which has been around a while and at times has a significant number of seats, but only really runs candidates in one province, so they don't tend to show up for English-language debates (not sure if that's due to lack of invitation or not) and aren't really considered a nation-wide party. And there's the Green Party, which is fairly new, wins very few seats, but has been getting a gradually increasing share of the popular vote and seems to now be considered one of the "real" parties and has sometimes but not always been included in debates.  

We've also had other parties winning seats at various times in the past, sometimes even becoming major players.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:42 pm

You actually need a certain amount of seats in parliament to be considered an "official" party. Only the big three are official parties right now. The Bloc Quebecois are historically significant in that they have served as official opposition before, but they're not technically a party right now and are only at the French language debates as a courtesy. I think the Green Party has never been an official party but they're the next highest in the popular vote so they sometimes get invited as a courtesy, sometimes they're left out.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:03 am

Congrats on not bidding on the Olympics, Toronto cheers
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:33 am

The IOC is going to need a serious shakeup or no one is going to bid on the Olympics anymore. They're almost as bad as FIFA, but no one's done anything about them yet.

It makes me sad. I love the Olympics. I love watching the Olympics. I live close enough to Canada that I can get CBC and watch them live (screw you, NBC!). But countries with the economic ability and infrastructure to host that continually decide not to makes me worry about the viability of the future of the event.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:43 am

I am so relieved! Grin
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:44 pm

...having seen the debates tonight, we need better candidates.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:01 pm

So, will anyone drop out in the next few weeks? I'm thinking Jindal might. Santorum probably should, but won't. I don't know why Pataki is running in the first place, so I don't think I can predict anything he'll do. Graham won the kiddie debate by virtue of not being a complete ignoramus, so he won't quit just yet.

I'm not seeing anyone who made the later debate dropping out. Paul and Walker should probably consider it, but they don't seem ready yet, and Christoe did pretty well. Fiorina is almost certainly going to surge in the polls, so she's not going anywhere. I though Bush was awful, but with all his money, he'll be in it until the bitter end.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:36 pm

The GOP, I think, wants Bush, so on top of his money and dynastic name, I also doubt he's going anywhere.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:10 pm

I'd say that Jeb should ask Cheney to be his running mate, but we've already seen the Dick and Bush show.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:34 am

Wondering wrote:The GOP, I think, wants Bush, so on top of his money and dynastic name, I also doubt he's going anywhere.

I agree. He seems to be the anointed one. I can understand the Republicans feeling that way, since I suspect the leadership is terrified of Trump and in general of the Tea Party monster now that it isn't just willing to do their bidding but wants candidates who reflect its preferences and style. That being said, I suspect they're making a mistake. Everyone knew that Bush came with a lot of baggage he'd have to explain, but I'm surprised at what a weak candidate he is. He's not amazing in debates, doesn't seem to be a great stump speaker, is awkward or boring or both in interviews, isn't particularly good at promoting his record or his policy proposals...I'm wondering if a few years from now the GOP is wishing it would have put more support behind Cruz or Rubio or someone else who's fairly establishment but who comes across as a bit fresher.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:53 am

Not Cruz! I do a double take every time I see him in one of his ill-fitting, too-large suits. Grin

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum