Politics and Current Events

Page 30 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Politics and Current Events

Post by Wondering on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:37 pm

I can't even, you guys. I can't. What is going on. I mean, I knew this was going to happen, and I feel like I've been Cassandra-ing my way around the past year with my liberal friends and family patronizingly patting me on the head saying, "Oh, he won't get elected." Or, "Oh, it won't be that bad."

I knew this would happen. But actually seeing it happen, I just can't even.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:38 pm

I hear you, I keep wanting to say "I can't believe X," except I can, because all of the Xs are things I tried to tell myself wouldn't really happen. But I still have that feeling of disbelief and shock.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:02 am

Got room and spoons for a mom and toddler at your place, Enail? Wink My husband will send us money to support us since he's safe as a healthy cis-het white male.

I'm up for what might have to be my last road trip. Wink

Joking aside, my parents-in-law are floating the idea of retiring in Canada. I hope they get on with that.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:07 am

I wish I did, I'm sure you're not the only ones who could use a Canadian base Wink
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:06 am

Shit. A shooting at a mosque in Quebec City.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:15 pm

No one is safe. At first when I heard about the whole CalExit thing, I thought, well, hey, I can move to CA if I have to. But the reality is, I have an okay job and insurance, and have more privilege than most who are being targeted, so I feel like it's on me to fight with/for those who don't. Until they start persecuting women (in the more obvious, violent ways), after which I'm noping the fuck out of here.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HSavinien on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Okay, so the GOP is going to push through everything they can as fast as possible, then when Trump has become more of a hindrance than a useful tool, they'll pin everything unpopular on him and impeach him. (Which won't be hard, the way he's managed so far.) Then Pence, who's absolutely the Tea-Party poster boy will be held up as the "rational" "moderate" alternative.

So. Fight back, shore up the defenses (well done, Natl. Park Service), donate what we can to the Southern Poverty Law Center and ACLU and Planned Parenthood and BLM. Obstruct the destruction of the environment in the name of profit for the 1%. If you can, call and demand that politicians protect the health and education and so on of people they're sworn to. If you can, march. If you can, offer assistance to the refugees whose countries we've turned into warzones who have nowhere left to go.

And prep for the day when we have to impeach President Pence, because I don't know about you, but he'd rather I was dead. I want him in power for as little time as possible, because there are a heckuva lot of women and queer folks out there a heckuva lot more vulnerable than me.

View user profile http://hsavinien.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Impeaching seems optimistic to me. The GOP rode into or stayed in power on Trump's coattails. They don't want to upset their base who might then decide not to re-elect them. and Paul Ryan's spinelessness so far shows me they have no will or desire to oppose him.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:51 pm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 am

Meanwhile, Herr Chee-to just fired the acting Attorney General for not defending an unconstitutional executive order. Really?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HSavinien on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Well they may decide to have him conveniently bumped off instead, but honestly, I think they'll be able to build up one of his scandals/the actively illegal things he is currently doing that they can sell it to enough of the base that they won't care.

View user profile http://hsavinien.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Not if Bannon declares martial law and disbands Congress first.

What was that? Did I say I feel like Cassandra? Yes! I feel like Cassandra.

And Enail, what happened in Quebec City was awful. I think, as is often the case, Americans are being a bit self-absorbed (this time because, holy crap! Our country is falling apart) because that barely made the news cycle down here (at least from what I saw) except for the fact that the shooter was a Trump supporter. Sad

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:15 pm

TBH, it didn't make news here as much as I would have expected even, there's been so much to report on the situation in the US.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 pm

I think there is a bit of a language firewall where we're kind of sitting around and waiting for French speakers to tell us anything new about the situation, and waiting for the police investigation to answer questions about it.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:24 pm

Pretty sure national news reporters who cover Quebec are generally bilingual, I don't think there's a language barrier for this level of news.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:08 pm

I feel like if it happened in Toronto or maybe Vancouver, there would be a whole lot more play in English Canada even with the Trump stuff happening.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:26 pm

I have been surprised at how little coverage there was at first. But the news channels all had reporters on scene pretty much right away, so they were probably Quebec-based anchors, and it would be nuts to have Quebec-based anchors who aren't bilingual.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:12 pm

I definitely saw a lot of posts about it, but half of them were "the-dude-was-Morroccan-this-is-what-Trump-is-trying-to-defend-you-libtards-from". So little awareness of truth. Like, honestly, this whole "the mainstream media is ALL LIES I CAN ONLY TRUST BREIBART" aspect terrifies me. Like, we can't even have conversations, because they literally don't believe the same facts. I am in and out of low-grade panic attacks right now. Thank goodness for puppy.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:18 pm

And this is...more proof that we are now a nation governed by fear, especially xenophobia, that has no basis in logic or facts. And fear never brings out well-thought out, fair, ethical actions. Yay. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/02/polls-widespread-backing-trump-travel-ban
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Mitch McConnell is evil.

If he had not been in the equation, 1) we would have had hearings on Merrick Garland for Supreme Court, 2) the Obama administration would have released info on Russians and Trump during the campaign, 3) Elizabeth Warren would not have been told last night she can't criticize a nominee for Attorney General because he's a fellow senator.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:06 pm

He also seems to be the leader in all the obstruction that's been happening over the last few years on the GOP side of things, not just the SCOTUS nominee, and he seems to be damn proud of it. Apparently he has the lowest approval rating in his own state of all the senate, though.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Well, the real question is, then, will they re-elect him? Because that's the problem, Congress has low approval ratings, but people's opinions of their own representatives are usually high, so nothing changes.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:00 pm

I'd be comparing Betsy DeVos to an incompetent Hogwarts professor but I have a feeling most of you would take Umbridge.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:32 am

On the plus side, McConnell could not have given feminism a better motto and rallying cry than "she persisted."

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:26 am

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum