Fantasy Football

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fantasy Football

Post by eselle28 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:34 pm

I drafted my fantasy football team 5 minutes ago, and I already wish I could trade most of them.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:06 pm

eselle28 wrote:I drafted my fantasy football team 5 minutes ago, and I already wish I could trade most of them.
Might as well ask who you have.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:28 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:
eselle28 wrote:I drafted my fantasy football team 5 minutes ago, and I already wish I could trade most of them.

Cam Newton, Justin Forsett, C.J. Anderson, Demaryius Thomas, Brandin Cooks, Andre Ellington, Julius Thomas, Texans Defense. It's not an unmitigated disaster, but I ended up drafting last and hadn't known my position until right before the draft started, so basically everything I had planned got thrown out the window.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:01 pm

eselle28 wrote:
WJMorris3 wrote:

Cam Newton, Justin Forsett, C.J. Anderson, Demaryius Thomas, Brandin Cooks, Andre Ellington, Julius Thomas, Texans Defense. It's not an unmitigated disaster, but I ended up drafting last and hadn't known my position until right before the draft started, so basically everything I had planned got thrown out the window.
In my opinion, if that's not an eight-team league, you've got a damned good squad.

Meanwhile, I'm working with this:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:14 am

Yeah, you've got a couple of guys who I had originally planned on drafting!

I'm in a 10 team league, so I think I'll be okay. I wasn't humble bragging - it was one of those situations where my draft just didn't go as expected, but I feel more comfortable with my team now that I've taken a few hours away from it!
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Football

Post by WJMorris3 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:28 pm

Posting this comment and suggesting the fantasy sports talk be shunted off of the rants thread.

Dear NFL.com,

You really shouldn't let me flout the lineup rules when I have my draft. That said, I'll enjoy not drafting a kicker and defence.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:55 pm

I kind of want to get into fantasy football. I like D&D but not enough to spend a major chunk of what precious little free time I have playing it, and I can totally get away with talking about my fantasy football team at the office. I guess it's time to do some reading, and I'll watch this thread with interest.

PintsizeBro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyoffices on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:11 pm

eselle28 wrote:
WJMorris3 wrote:

Do you think it might be buyer's remorse, too? I almost always feel rotten for a few days after a fantasy draft or until games start. This year we drafted on 8/21, so I've had almost 3 weeks to second guess me Uh-oh

lonelyoffices

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:30 pm

[quote="lonelyoffices"]
eselle28 wrote:
Do you think it might be buyer's remorse, too?  I almost always feel rotten for a few days after a fantasy draft or until games start.  This year we drafted on 8/21, so I've had almost 3 weeks to second guess me  Uh-oh

Oh, that's kind of brutal! And, yes, I think that's part of it. My natural decision-making style is to dither over things until the last moment, choose fairly spontaneously, and then worry over my choices afterwards. I'm not sure if that makes fantasy football my ideal hobby or my worst nightmare. I sometimes need to stop and remind myself I'm going to end up dropping a few players and adding a few others over the season and that my team might look very different at the end of the season, so there's no point in worrying now.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Can I ask what fantasy football is? Is it like you imagine the best team, cherry picking players from all sorts of teams to build your fantasy team? And then you keep track of how well those players do every week?

But if that's it, I don't get how a league or drafting or all that works. It seems more like a fun mental exercise to me. But I see ESPN reporting on it sometimes (I think?).

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:48 pm

I thought about it yesterday and decided I'd rather play in a Hall-of-Fame league, than get stuck picking 5th-round bums off the practice squad.
waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Wondering wrote:Can I ask what fantasy football is? Is it like you imagine the best team, cherry picking players from all sorts of teams to build your fantasy team? And then you keep track of how well those players do every week?

But if that's it, I don't get how a league or drafting or all that works. It seems more like a fun mental exercise to me. But I see ESPN reporting on it sometimes (I think?).

You've got the idea! I also believe that's how it started, as an individual intellectual exercise.

There's software that has different systems to translate different performance metrics into point scores - a quarterback's throw would earn so many points, and a receiver from another team's catch would earn some more, and a running back on a third team would earn points for yards run. That allows people with different fantasy teams to compare how their teams are doing and say definitively whose team had a better week.

A league is where a group of people all form teams, and then go head to head in pairs against each other to see whose team wins each week. A draft is so that no one can have their absolute ideal team, because in many cases, that would mean almost identical teams. League members take turns selecting who they'd like on their team, so no one is on more than one per league. So, while I might have wanted Russell Wilson and Le'Veon Bell on my team in a perfect world, the reality is that I got stuck picking 10th and had to choose the best of who was left.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Wondering wrote:Can I ask what fantasy football is? Is it like you imagine the best team, cherry picking players from all sorts of teams to build your fantasy team? And then you keep track of how well those players do every week?

It should be noted that almost any sport has a fantasy version; football just seems to be the most visible.

Others (like fantasy baseball) might have your team post cumulative stats and you're ranked among the whole league, or have you pick the best team under a budget (fantasy soccer).

Then you have daily fantasy leagues, where you're only concerned with the results of a given day.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:23 pm

One tip I stumbled upon that in my 15 years of playing, I never came up with.

Many leagues use a "flex" position, which can be filled by either a running back or a wide receiver. It is suggested that you put the player with the latest game start in that position to preserve flexibility in your lineup.

Example: say you're starting (like me), RB Melvin Gordon SD, RB Jonathan Stewart CAR, WR Roddy White ATL, WR Stevie Johnson SD, WR Demaryius Thomas DEN. One WR has to go in the flex spot; I'd put Roddy White there as he's the only one of my receivers who doesn't play until Monday night. Otherwise, you risk handcuffing yourself if an early flex starter locks you into three running backs or three wide receivers.

(As an aside, this is why my league doesn't have a flex position - so this doesn't become an issue. We can start 2 RB/3 WR or 3 RB/2 WR, but we don't have to designate a flex.)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum