NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of the Rants

+43
Werel
Glides
Hielario
Datelessman
bomaye
Yoshiland
eselle28
Enail
HSavinien
ElizaJane
Amygdala
Conreezy
DragonEatsKnightCheckmate
Mara_
Izmuth
fakely mctest
Chickpea Sarada
Kiskadee
Barretts_Salt
waxingjaney
KitKat
BasedBuzzed
Xexyz
readertorider
CP96
jcorozza
InkAndComb
Aggrax
kath
Hirundo Bos
reboot
PintsizeBro
Caffeinated
reboundstudent
Robjection
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
sky
WJMorris3
BiSian
litterature
Wondering
Prajnaparamita
47 posters

Page 1 of 30 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 30  Next

Go down

Return of the Rants Empty Return of the Rants

Post by eselle28 Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:55 pm

Welcome to the Rants thread, a place to share gripes and complaints without requesting advice. While the Rants thread is a place to express frustration, that doesn't mean it's without rules or that the Forum Guidelines don't apply. Here are some guidelines for using the Rants thread:

1. The Rants thread is for venting. All replies within it should be considered as being labeled [no adv]. Expressions of sympathy, commiseration, sharing similar experiences, and occasionally requesting clarification or more information are appropriate replies. Advice, even gently expressed and well-intended advice, is not an appropriate reply. Disagreeing with the ranter, diminishing the ranter's frustration, or arguing about the rant generally isn't appropriate, either. As Rants are not intended to be conversation-starters, they should be kept fairly short and relate primarily to one topic.

2. Not every complaint belongs in the Rants thread. Because community members have limited opportunity to respond here, it isn't appropriate to use it as a place to express opinions that many members may disagree with or wish to reply to. There are a couple of specific cases to which this applies.

• Controversial Topics: Sex, dating, gender issues, harassment, diversity, and feminism should be considered controversial on this site, as those are the topics on which people are most likely to disagree. Although topics on that list are almost always controversial, other subjects may also be controversial or become controversial as conversations on the site evolve. Most community members have personal experiences that relate to controversial topics, and generally, complaints related to those experiences are appropriate for the Rants thread. Complaints that apply more broadly don't belong here, though. Specifically, griping that you've sent out tons of online dating messages and received no replies is a fine Rant, as is complaining that your partner never remembers to take out the garbage or that your professor made a biased comment about people of one gender. Disagreeing with Doctor Nerdlove's latest article on online dating, complaining that you feel society unfairly stereotypes one gender as doing more housework than the other, or critiquing a study about gender discrimination in higher education should be done somewhere other than the Rants thread, though. If you want to discuss these subjects, you should do so in an existing thread elsewhere in the forums or create a new thread.

• Nerd Lounge Policies and Interactions: Complaints about the site's rules, moderation, the general tone of discussions here, or specific problems with other community members don't belong in the Rants thread.  If you want to discuss these subjects, you should create a message report or PM a moderator.

3. Not every complaint belongs in the Nerd Lounge forums. There are some discussions that aren't appropriate here. That doesn't necessarily mean that your opinion is invalid, or incorrect, or that you're a bad person for feeling that way. It just means that there are some topics this community isn't equipped to address, and there are others that cause high levels of stress to community members or create disproportionate amounts of work for moderators. Below are some topics that are not permissible on the Nerd Lounge forums.

• Discussion of Interactions on the Prime Site: While discussing articles on the Nerdlove prime site is appropriate in non-Rants areas of the site, discussing interactions among posters in its comments is not. This rule applies to both complaints about specific posters and and interactions and to complaining about the nature of discussion on the prime site generally. It also applies equally to complaints all posters, regardless of their level of activity or length of membership on the prime site. If you want to discuss these subjects, you should do so on the prime site. Alternately, you may wish to journal about these thoughts or find a likeminded community member who's interested in having a private discussion.

• Broad, Negative Generalizations About Groups: These generalizations are considered personal attacks, and they aren't allowed anywhere on the site. If you want to discuss these subjects, you should journal about them, find a likeminded community member who's interested in having a private discussion, talk with a friend, or start a discussion on an unrelated site where your post would be permitted.

• Suicidal Ideation and Thoughts of Self Harm: Community members aren't qualified to help other members who have thoughts of suicide or self harm. The Nerd Lounge has a strict policy against posts announcing or debating suicidal intentions, because it's important that members having these thoughts seek professional help as soon as they can. If you want to discuss these subjects, you should instead read this post to find resources that can help you.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Return of the Rants Empty Re: Return of the Rants

Post by Enail Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Ugh, itches on the webbing between your fingers are the worst. Or no, maybe second-worst. Allergies that cause itches on the webbing between your fingers are the worst.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Enail wrote:Ugh, itches on the webbing between your fingers are the worst. Or no, maybe second-worst. Allergies that cause itches on the webbing between your fingers are the worst.

Ugh, tell me about it. Last week, I set out to make a batch of grape jelly from that amazing patch of wild grapes I'd found in the woods near my house only to find out (after the skin between my fingers felt like hornets were systematically jabbing their stingers in over and over) that the juice of wild grapes contains a toxin that is highly irritating to skin (but is harmless when cooked). Go figure.

Also I gotta call bullshit on everyone who claims wild foraging is going to bring us closer to nature and remedy everything wrong with humanity and undo the evils of domestication or whatever. The best thing I've learned from foraging for wild foods is that everything is toxic and will try to make you suffer as much as possible, if not try to outright kill you. Oh man that day I had to spend the entire day in the bathroom with a major case of the runs after accidentally undercooking those fiddlehead ferns... Not pleasant. Seriously, domestication was the best thing we did when it came to food, second only after learning to cook the shit out of things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Whole Foods is super big on not wasting bags: giving you credit for reusing them, selling cloth ones, etc. So it really aggravates me that they are the biggest bag wasters. Seriously, I could have packed in 2 bags what you packed in 5, WF bagger. And this isn't the first time. Also, bags are rectangular. Stop putting long items the wrong direction. Please make things less work for me to manage baby and bags at the same time. kthxbai.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:42 pm

Chromebooks are the fucking devil and I hate google for creating their Cloud Print bs.

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:13 am

I don't really want to give many details, but visitors in stateless nations and particularly exchange students often take on a rather xenophobic stance without thinking much about it or even realising, and it really makes me sad. You discover that the country you are visiting isn't what you expected - it's fine to be a liiiiittle shocked, but not to make a huge production out of it and certainly not to demand people to adapt to your preconceptions (and yet many people do so, "out of respect", which is something I'll never understand.) A people speaks a language/has a certain idiosyncrasy because that's who they are, not to spite you, and I think you guys should sorta respect that, especially if you've got no stake whatsoever in the political side of it all. Imo.
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by BiSian Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:35 am

SPeaking of itchy... I love having my friends over and this time they didn't even leave me a huge mess to clean up after...BUT they did leave the windows open and I now have a sneaky mosquito that buzzes round my head when I'm half asleep and cannot murder his ass...and then proceedes to bite the shit out of me. Itchy mosquito bites.... ARGH
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Yes, your dog is adorable. And it's super clever that you've taught him to hold the end of his own leash in his mouth. I'm sure the Facebook pictures are adorable! You know where isn't a good place to show off that trick? Rush hour at the grocery store. I'm one of those killjoys who doubts that dogs, other than service dogs, do much to enhance the environment of a store that sells food. But if you have to take your pup everywhere, at least have the decency not to have him unrestrained and dragging around a huge, looped cord. I almost tripped when I stepped in the loop, and I'm a reasonably young, healthy adult who would have been annoyed but not all that hurt by a fall.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Dear customer:

No, there isn't such a thing as 'Jersey Fresh' pineapple.

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:06 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:Dear customer:

No, there isn't such a thing as 'Jersey Fresh' pineapple.

Heh. A while back, we had someone ask for "grass-fed salmon".

Dear Customers,
If you're going to throw around trendy buzzwords to make yourselves sound classier, you might want to do a tiny bit of research first, like typing "do salmon live in pastures" in the google search box.
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 am

eselle28 wrote:Yes, your dog is adorable. And it's super clever that you've taught him to hold the end of his own leash in his mouth. I'm sure the Facebook pictures are adorable! You know where isn't a good place to show off that trick? Rush hour at the grocery store. I'm one of those killjoys who doubts that dogs, other than service dogs, do much to enhance the environment of a store that sells food. But if you have to take your pup everywhere, at least have the decency not to have him unrestrained and dragging around a huge, looped cord. I almost tripped when I stepped in the loop, and I'm a reasonably young, healthy adult who would have been annoyed but not all that hurt by a fall.

I'm a dog owner who doesn't have patience for non-service dogs in stores. Or for dogs who are unleashed (which your dog is if it's holding its own leash). So, sympathy rant feelings.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Can we please just give Trevor Noah a goddamned chance? It's not an especially clever or new observation that he isn't identical to Jon Stewart or that Stewart was awesome. But saying the Daily Show is "not really back" without Stewart sounds a lot more suspect to me when it's coming from someone who previously was completely okay with Oliver running the show.

(Attached random thought: interesting that all three of them have first names for last names.)
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:37 pm

Note to self: Wear your flipping apron when you cook. It'll help you save the few remaining shirts you have that still fit post-baby from getting splatters all over them. That's what it's for!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:47 am

I'm REALLY TIRED of the desperate-woman-turns-to-evil-to-conceive plot. As if becoming a mother and raising children is so important that women will go to any means to fulfill it. How is anyone supposed to believe that this "very christian" woman just decided to abandon her faith and make a bargain with a demon so she could finally have children? That plotline is just so lazy and irritating.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:03 am

caliseivy wrote:I'm REALLY TIRED of the desperate-woman-turns-to-evil-to-conceive plot. As if becoming a mother and raising children is so important that women will go to any means to fulfill it. How is anyone supposed to believe that this "very christian" woman just decided to abandon her faith and make a bargain with a demon so she could finally have children? That plotline is just so lazy and irritating.  
Wait, that's a thing? Why is that a thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:03 pm

Robjection wrote:
caliseivy wrote:I'm REALLY TIRED of the desperate-woman-turns-to-evil-to-conceive plot. As if becoming a mother and raising children is so important that women will go to any means to fulfill it. How is anyone supposed to believe that this "very christian" woman just decided to abandon her faith and make a bargain with a demon so she could finally have children? That plotline is just so lazy and irritating.  
Wait, that's a thing? Why is that a thing?

I've been noticing it more lately; the movie that most comes to mind (though not entirely a case of the religious woman abandoning her faith) is The Ring. You know, cause we women are such natural caregivers and family is the most important thing in the world to us that we can't go on without it so no price is too steep.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:19 am

For the past few days I haven't been able to stop thinking about the fact that it was three years ago this month that I was told, by a professional, that I need to realize that socially I'm twenty years behind and that I'll never catch up. I certainly haven't managed to make any improvements since then. If anything, I've slipped back even further. So, does that mean that I'm - at best - twenty-three years behind? Will I always be the equivalent of a nine year old, or worse?

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:16 pm

It's really weird to be simultaneously happy about how many of your friends have found amazing, deep-seated love, while simultaneously feeling overwhelmed with the feeling that everyone else in your social group has it figured out, and that you are the last un-married person at this age in the entire county.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:12 pm

Ugh. People who have to argue with every little thing. This is not our first rodeo, if I say that flying in on the Friday will be ok, I promise it really will. No, an extra day to get settled is not necessary. We are not talking about an amateur here. Grumble grumble grumble.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:12 am

This whole getting a driver's license process is so frustrating, and the obstacles and impediments I've been dealing with are just reminding me of my lack of support and opportunities I've had to deal with throughout my life.

Now that I've been able to alter my work schedule to get the first of three 2-hour driving sessions with an instructor, I'm still behind in hours I personally need to feel prepared for driving, and it's difficult to get any because only one person I know has the means and is willing to help me get hours; the other two don't have the time. I should have more hours by now since I get rides to and from work, but while the owner of the car will just laugh and tell me "Just bring it home in one piece" if I ask him to use his car for practice cause that's just how he is, the person actually doing the driving is going to give me stupid excuses about why I can't and why they won't just be my passenger. Essentially, they're going to give me bullshit excuses like they did all those years ago that kept me from learning when I had the chance and convinced me that driving was too dangerous and I wouldn't be able to handle it.

This is giving me a headache yet again Crying
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:51 am

Ugh, Caliseivy, that sounds so frustrating! Learning to drive is enough of a pain without those kinds of obstacles bringing up past stresses. I hope you can finangle your way to getting in enough practice to feel comfortable soon!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:09 pm

Yes, friend, you were just being honest. What you seem to be missing is that all those people telling you they think you're being terrible are also just being honest. Everyone was honest. Everyone's feelings were hurt.

I think your choices at this point are to grow thicker skin and then find a group of people more appreciative of bluntness, or to figure out some formulation of, "Sorry, but I won't be able to make it! Congratulations, though!" and then hash out your feelings about other people's life choices and how they celebrate them with folks online. Whatever option you choose, it's going to necessarily involve finding someone else to talk to about all this besides me.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Even Pintsize the cocky asshole gets rejected sometimes, kids! He was nice about it, but it still sucks.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:45 am

Nope, Chromebooks still blow. My brother can't print something from the Chromebook even though it's hardwired to the printer?!? Are you for fucking serious?! There's an HP Printer "app" for it but it won't install? NO! I don't wanna use your shitty Cloud printing service!! You wanna print? Fuck you, buy our CloudPrint ready junk.

Google, your proprietary hardware and software is awful and I hate it. That and Chrome is touchy garbage. Being my house's tech support is fun sometimes but when I'm working with tech that's tighter than a fucking Mac you know something is up. And I'm typing this up from an iPhone.

TECHNOLOGY, EVERYONE! WHERE COMPATABILITY GOES TO DIE IN THE NAME OF CAPITALISM AND BRANDING! >:I

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:54 pm

>tapping shoulder and spraying whipped cream on chest
>getting cold feet and trying to get someone else to lick it off
Absolutely pathetic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 30 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 30  Next