Return of the Rants

Page 5 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Return of the Rants

Post by BasedBuzzed on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:29 pm

If you don't desire to be judged for lack of compassion, you can't judge others for an abundance of it. The supposed pretense of caring is more well-adjusted than the petulance against it. Reserve your ire for those who use anything as a club to place themselves above others.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:53 pm

throwing your comrades under the bus just so you can look "normal", then claiming you're "helping" and saying contradictory stuff in private is pretty fucking low

also, Great Pronoun Debates and Great Bathroom Debates are fucking bollocks. bleh.

also, asking your class rep whether getting a genderless toilet is a possibility/stating your preferred pronouns and watching things escalate into a civil war in literally under a minute is fucking bollocks. bleh. the toilet was a possibility though, so yay.

Last edited by litterature on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : unfortunately ambiguous wording)

litterature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:30 pm

>comparing yourself to Stonewall
Wailing Wall would be a more accurate description.
BasedBuzzed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:38 pm

Auspicious beginnings to student papers for which I explicitly warned them to only use published sources, not websites: "Dictionary.com defines [paper topic MISSPELLED] as..."

And it gets worse from there.

And none of the other papers these kids college juniors turned in are any better.

Something's wrong in higher education, y'all.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:25 am

Sad

I remember getting a paper once where a student said the Columbia River was named by Columbus after himself when he sailed his ship up it. Shocked

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Okay, Friend, I can let your dog out every now and then. Buddies help each other out. But if you're asking me to do it at least once a week with no notice and the reason this time is that you're out getting drunk and apparently didn't invite me, that's taking things a bit far. Frankly, if you want to go out a great deal and also value spontaneity, a dog might be the right pet for you.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:49 am

>Ridiculously low compensation for board activity, possibility of not even getting it
>Better rate starts the very next year, which isn't grant-dependent
I'm not in financial dire straits or anything, but I still hate this.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:26 am

If there's anything more annoying than people on Facebook or Thanksgiving talking about politics, it's people in World of Warcraft's Trade Channel talking about politics. People in that channel should really stick to murloc jokes, spamming guild invites, and mocking gold sellers.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:31 pm

eselle28 wrote:If there's anything more annoying than people on Facebook or Thanksgiving talking about politics, it's people in World of Warcraft's Trade Channel talking about politics. People in that channel should really stick to murloc jokes, spamming guild invites, and mocking gold sellers.

Oh, the Trade Channel. Don't think I've seen murloc jokes (which makes me sad), but plenty of Chuck Norris jokes. But politics? The worst.
Caffeinated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:47 pm

I do not understand people who think you can't be concerned about more than one thing at once. That if you're talking about Black Lives Matter, it means you can't also be concerned about other lives. That if you're talking about women harassed online, you can't also be concerned about women abuse or rape victims. That if you're talking about shitty minimum wages, you can't also be concerned about shitty non-minimum wages. And now, in my Facebook feed, that if you're concerned about asshole stores open for shopping tomorrow and making their employees work on a holiday that you can't also keep in mind the doctors, nurses, firefighters who must work and also can't spend the holiday with their families.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 am

Every so often, when I'm dreaming, I'll have one of those standard fantasy nightmares where I'm being chased by monsters or whatever. And they're pretty scary, but then I wake up and think, "Oh right, it's just a dream, no big deal."

But sometimes I'll have one of those dreams where my brain decides it's going to play out and then magnify one of the genuine anxieties I have in real life. And when I wake up from those, I find myself really missing the fantasy nightmares.
KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:18 pm

Politics is downstream from culture really means most political insights gained from pop culture are fished from a Ganges. If I had to take a shot for every filler post that nabs a few scenes and then claims it's the ideology of the movie or series, my liver would be the size of an SUV. Ponies don't teach children that marxism is horrible, Kilgrave isn't a send-up of how toxic nerds actually are, James Bond isn't an example of game. I do a dead-end art criticism degree so this type of analysis should be music to my ears; it's just that the music in all these drinkpieces has started to resemble crunkcore.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Hey, furnace guy. When we call and tell you our furnace is making weird noises and we're worried it's going to go out, don't tell us we should be able to fix it ourselves and give half-assed instructions about a furnace you've never seen to lay people. Because now, after following your instructions? We can't get the furnace back together and we have NO heat. And it's 37 outside and the temp is ticking down pretty quickly in here.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Wondering wrote:Hey, furnace guy. When we call and tell you our furnace is making weird noises and we're worried it's going to go out, don't tell us we should be able to fix it ourselves and give half-assed instructions about a furnace you've never seen to lay people. Because now, after following your instructions? We can't get the furnace back together and we have NO heat. And it's 37 outside and the temp is ticking down pretty quickly in here.

Oh no! I'm hoping that guy picks up his phone immediately?
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Dear news media; really, we need to see reports of Tim Tebow and his girlfriend breaking up, and hear the reason behind it?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xexyz on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Monday and Tuesday are going to suck. Monday I'm going to have to stay until 7:30ish - about 4 hours longer than my normal day - to set up for a stupid company holiday party. And then I have to be into work 6 am the next day with some sort of "superhero-themed" outfit (I'll get a cape and mask) to help facilitate the party. I don't mind having to put in extra hours to get important work done. But extra hours for a stupid party pisses me off. And the costume, retch.

Xexyz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:21 am

eselle28 wrote:
Wondering wrote:Hey, furnace guy. When we call and tell you our furnace is making weird noises and we're worried it's going to go out, don't tell us we should be able to fix it ourselves and give half-assed instructions about a furnace you've never seen to lay people. Because now, after following your instructions? We can't get the furnace back together and we have NO heat. And it's 37 outside and the temp is ticking down pretty quickly in here.

Oh no! I'm hoping that guy picks up his phone immediately?

He came out. He was the on-call weekend guy and didn't want to come if he didn't have to because it was a 1.5 hour drive from his previous job. So the furnace is running again and not making weird noises, but now it won't turn off. It's not continuing to heat, it just keeps blowing and blowing at the temp we set it at. So...?

Not impressed.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:05 pm

This "team-building" BS is getting out of hand. Now you're going to bring in the on-call person so that all of us can be at this hours long party to play games and watch some movie I have zero interest in, and bring food and a gift. Not only do I have to think of some not expensive gift to add when I suck at gift-giving, but I have to figure out a dish I don't mind carrying half a mile to the bus stop to bring in to work. I don't like parties, I'm not a schmoozer, and the concept behind this "white elephant" game you insist on doing is jacked-up and very counter to the idea of building up a team.

I think I'm going to be asshole who gifts a white elephant to the white elephant exchange. Not like anyone will know who gifted what.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KitKat on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:59 pm

Gaahh, I fucking hate this late autumn/fake-winter we are having. It's icy cold, gets dark around 3 PM, and it's really windy so my throat gets sore and hurts when I take the bike every day. There's no snow to brighten things up so it really gets pitch black which today resulted in tripping and shoving my knee full force into a stone staircase. Bike is messed up so I have to hobble on foot tomorrow, which means leaving the house half an hour earlier in the morning than I am used to. I got selected for a really cool trip through school which was awesome but flying 12 hours back and forth, being constantly active and social for a week has left me emotionally exhausted which hasn't really gone over since I got back so I'm really behind on my studies with looming deadlines, seasonal depression is coming in along with the regular depression and somehow I have to find time and energy to get Christmas gifts for partner and partner's parents who all are really picky, have expensive taste and much more disposable income than I can hope to have within the next five years. I feel like whatever I get them will be met with "Oh, that's nice" and then put away and never looked at again. Oh and, there's always the ever present "I really need to get off my ass and work harder and specialize in my chosen field otherwise I will never have a job."

It just feels like I have completely missed out on all the necessary life skills like entrepreneurship, good social- and teamwork skills and that ability to just decide to be happy and optimistic that my peers, some of them younger seem to manage with ease. And it frightens me even though I intellectually know it's not true.

KitKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:51 pm

All right, America, I think we can ease off on the mass shootings for awhile. We've already met our quota for them this year.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:53 pm

But don't forget! It's Syrian refugees who are going to shoot us up and kill us!

:shout:

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature on Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:12 pm

i'd never noticed that people tend not to let you introduce yourself sometimes. this morning there was this big pseudo-political meeting thing at school and as soon as i raised my hand and the mod asked for my name, 3 people told everyone what they should be calling me. but i wanted to use a different name :<

litterature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:08 pm

I know questions about whether I can hook you up with the good stuff, whether or not X is my fav act because I bounce so hard to it and whether or not I took a break because I've being practically dancing non-stop for hours are supposed to be flattering, but it's just disappointing. Assuming the same weekend/reasonable fitness factors, why don't you guys go wild? The shuffling is just an extension of the "never arrive to early at a party or you'll look like a dork" quatsch, and I pull this off while having the feeling that everybody's laughing at me. Git gud.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent on Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:27 pm

There's that old Far Side joke about a man writing in his journal, "Dear Diary, Sorry to bother you again..."

I'm apparently so unlikable that even a dog, who is supposed to love their human unconditionally, doesn't like me much (and seems to like everyone else far better..)
reboundstudent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:29 pm

reboundstudent wrote:
I'm apparently so unlikable that even a dog, who is supposed to love their human unconditionally, doesn't like me much (and seems to like everyone else far better..)  

I'm sorry. I know you've been waiting a long time for the puppy, so that must be stressful.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum