NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of the Rants

+43
Werel
Glides
Hielario
Datelessman
bomaye
Yoshiland
eselle28
Enail
HSavinien
ElizaJane
Amygdala
Conreezy
DragonEatsKnightCheckmate
Mara_
Izmuth
fakely mctest
Chickpea Sarada
Kiskadee
Barretts_Salt
waxingjaney
KitKat
BasedBuzzed
Xexyz
readertorider
CP96
jcorozza
InkAndComb
Aggrax
kath
Hirundo Bos
reboot
PintsizeBro
Caffeinated
reboundstudent
Robjection
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
sky
WJMorris3
BiSian
litterature
Wondering
Prajnaparamita
47 posters

Page 7 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18 ... 30  Next

Go down

Return of the Rants - Page 7 Empty Re: Return of the Rants

Post by eselle28 Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 pm

No one "stole" your fucking baby name. That's not a thing you can steal in the first place, and the name in question has been around since literally the Middle Ages. You're not even pregnant. Absolute worst case scenario is there's a kid in the same town a year or two older who has the same name. As someone who has spent all her life in classrooms and workplaces with other women who have the same name as I do, I find it hard to understand the objection.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Xexyz Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:48 pm

I had some perfectly cooked bacon this morning - right in the Goldilocks zone between being too crispy and too chewy. The flavor just melted all over my tongue and inside my mouth. It was wonderful.

The problem is that I've been craving more bacon all morning and have had to strongly resist the temptation to go downstairs and get more bacon. Bacon cravings are new to me, so I'm not sure how to deal with them...

Xexyz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm hurt and lonely and angry and depressed, which makes people not want to be around me, which makes me more hurt and lonely and angry and depressed, which makes people not want to be around me even more, which makes me more hurt and lonely and angry and depressed, which makes people not want to be around me even more, which makes...

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Sorry, Pagliacci. That cycle sucks.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:19 am

Werel wrote:Sorry, Pagliacci. That cycle sucks.

I just wish I saw a way out. Happiness only seems to be accessible to those who didn't have all the obstacles in their way growing up that I did.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:15 am

Either all private venting is free, or none of it is. You don't have to like it, but please look at how much of an audience it has before you toss in the standard 'but what if this pushes someone to commit a crime' nonsense. We could do the speculative calculus of how dangerous the act of venting is dependent on how you switch the labels, but we'd still end up in the alcohol category and we don't even need a slippery slope to point out plenty of examples in which both aisles have been shafted over by a paranoid and uninformed state apparatus. Which is also why I'm not going to tell you which side prompted this rant, because I wouldn't change my opinion regardless of where it's coming from.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:05 pm

Return of the Rants - Page 7 Fa0iuznx9bgcwhjecp46

Excuse me while I go sob into some ice cream.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Sad

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Never go full Aaronson. It is assuming emotions for dudettes instead of judging someone for their actions and attitudes and behaviour. Every piece that's ever written about what behaviour dudes should assume without waiting for a dudette to just ask is done by a specific dudette, and shared by specific dudettes who are in a certain frame of my mind at the time, to specific groups of likeminded dudettes who will start thinking like that because they already share much of the worldview. You can learn cues of these groups up to a certain point, which will give you a general baseline (adapt, avoid, assimilate) of how you should react. This is work which actually happens automatically if you spend time around a specific group. If there are still assumptions and they're interfering with the interaction, you can just ask in manners that aren't really asking and infer the rest.

This is incredibly simplified and liable to lead to preservation of a status quo in your personality, but the alternative is having a specific type of autopilot in the back of your head who can only drive one type of vehicle. Why would you want to crash into the ground just because someone insists his/her experience as a submarine captain makes him/her qualified to fly a plane?

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:57 pm

<mod> BasedBuzzed, given that Aaronson has been the cause of some very intense discussions around here and that you're talking about gender and dating, which are pretty central topics to this forum, you should be aware that this is not an appropriate subject for the Rants thread.

We've had to give you multiple reminders about what is suitable for this thread, so I'm giving you a one-day suspension to encourage you not to forget in the future. Please reread the guidelines at the beginning of this thread, and in the future stay away from using this thread as a record for your discussions with social justice types or for rants that touch on controversial topics, even if you are vague about describing the details. Thanks. </mod>
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:14 am

There ain't no party like the launch day party, 'cause the launch day party won't ever fucking stop
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:44 am

Working in news cool, I can say I worked in that industry. Problem is some days, like today, the newscast is fucking hectic. Doesn't help when our producer is either a control freak or incompetent.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:58 am

Fuck cancer.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:35 am

If he's this controlling at 19, what on earth is he going to be like as a chronological adult?!?

I just want to hang a flashing danger sign around his neck for all future romantic partners.

Still, it's been a low-stakes experience in applied tactics for me:)
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskadee Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:09 pm

Gah, worst manspreading ever! This guy stretched across two seats on a crowded train, and apparently thought if he just started kicking me he could have my seat to put his feet up. FALSE.
Kiskadee
Kiskadee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:00 am

Kiskadee wrote:Gah, worst manspreading ever!  This guy stretched across two seats on a crowded train, and apparently thought if he just started kicking me he could have my seat to put his feet up.

Return of the Rants - Page 7 Tumblr_l7vudzst7k1qc0m6fo1_5001

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskadee Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:49 am

Hahaha, and that just made it so much better.
Kiskadee
Kiskadee

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:27 pm

I'm cranky. And depressed (sad depressed, not clinically). And worn out, though with a toddler, I think that's the default state, so no hope there. Sad

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:12 pm

In some pursuits, I think that the journey means more than the destination.

Right now though? It doesn't. Not to me.

I won't be satisfied with my health changes until I can feel proud, and visualize, what I've been doing.

And I'm ok with that! But, I'm very frustrated. It's going to take so much longer.

I mean, maybe not that much longer, in the grand scheme of things. I suspect within 5-8 weeks I'll have lost a dramatic amount (not through unhealthy means, just a lot of healthy changes at once and activity) compared to where I was last year.

As petty as it is, I want it now! I want it before I have to go tubing with my friend group! I want to be able to be one of those people that when I get into my bathing suit, the reaction is "damn!" not "uh", you know?

I'm tired of being the 'ugly' friend. I'm tired of feeling like I have to give an irish goodbye when all my friends are getting their flirt on.

I'm tired of feeling like I'm not enough, even for myself, when I'm working really hard to be the best that I can be.

Normally I'm pretty positive but sometimes, it just gets to me. I have to work so much harder than some people around me to get to a level that people are born with, and although that's just how the cards fall, it can be exausting to feel like I'll never be enough on my own.
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:33 pm

Okay, apartment complex, I get that you have to do maintenance. However, if you're going to inspect the sprinklers that are in every room of every one of your units and demand that all pets be restrained at whatever time you might enter, a two day window is kind of pushing it. Suddenly extending it to a third day is ridiculous.

I know some people crate their dogs in kennels designed for the purpose while they're at work, but I'm not leaving my cats in their little travel carriers for nine hours, and working at home can only be pushed so far. Also, on behalf of the dogs in the building and the people who live near units with dogs, maybe you want to consider doing this inspection in the summer. Seems like a lot of your residents either don't have kennels or think it's somehow a good idea to leave their dogs on their balconies. It's been about 25 degrees all day today, and that's not really appropriate weather for pets to be outside without shelter.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Aaaand it took less than a week for my new brush pen to go from Joys and Good News to Rants. Pull yourself together, brush!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:01 am

Enail wrote:Aaaand it took less than a week for my new brush pen to go from Joys and Good News to Rants. Pull yourself together, brush!

Oh no! I'm so sorry! *glares intimidatingly at brush*
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:04 am

Thank you, I'm sure intimidating glares will help! Grin
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:21 am

Enail wrote:Aaaand it took less than a week for my new brush pen to go from Joys and Good News to Rants. Pull yourself together, brush!

Uh-oh, that can't be good. Did it begin to leak? Or did it dry out already? Ooor?

Anyway, my laptop does seem to be on its last legs now for sure. It's struggling to run anything. Hell, even right-click is a struggle for it. Well, this laptop will officially be 6 years old in November this year. So I guess it just may be time to upgrade then, or maybe not? I dunno, but it doesn't hurt to have a backup PC.

Maybe I'll get a Mac with my tax return (if I get a tax return...).

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:29 pm

The Mikey wrote:

Uh-oh, that can't be good. Did it begin to leak? Or did it dry out already? Ooor?

Splitting. The bane of my existence. :grrr: Hopefully it's just an adolescent phase it has to work through, I get that a lot with regular brushes. Shrug
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum