Return of the Rants

Page 3 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Return of the Rants

Post by WJMorris3 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:41 am

Dear truck outside the convenience store:

No, the access aisle between two handicapped spots is not a parking spot, especially for someone with no handicapped placard.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:04 am

How the hell do you pull a muscle in the bottom of your foot? And how do you manage not to make it worse? And who manages to do that to themselves?

I have one answer out of three.
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:35 am

I did what I occasionally do with all those "things I ought to do one of these days" that float around in my head – wrote them down on paper, because they take less effort to maintain then. Everything from urgent tasks to long-term tasks to things I'd like to do more of to getting apartment in order-tasks to things to buy... I've had a lot things I ought to do these days in my head. Counted them afterwards. Added up to exactly one hundred. No wonder I've felt like I haven't quite got a handle on things.

(Unclogging drain is one of the tasks.)
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:52 am

reboot wrote:How the hell do you pull a muscle in the bottom of your foot? And how do you manage not to make it worse? And who manages to do that to themselves?

I have one answer out of three.
I know how you feel. What I don't get is that I'm not even doing anything particularly strenuous when it happens!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:16 pm

>article drops
>rag journos using full name of perp on Twitter
>listens to metal! uses pot!
>unsourced(made-up) quote about his student association being full of other weirdos
>"hurdur those hags left me" gets treated as "lovesick" in headline
This must be a parody.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:53 pm

Hullo; it's been a long time since I was here, and a lot has happened (sort of).

I don't know if anyone really remembers me, but I'm glad to be back :3

My rant today: 2 students in the last 2 weeks have killed themselves.

Our mental health services on campus are absolutely awful. But, they keep telling students "just go in, just go in, just go in"

Obviously that isn't working. Obviously there is a problem.

As someone with MDD, ADHD, anxiety issues, I am just...I am holding on as best I can!

But something needs to change and it's bringing me down. So down.

BUT I GOT THIS DANGIT >Sad in a ranty, "F you depression!" sort of way.
InkAndComb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:58 pm

Oh, wow, InkandComb, that's awful. Do you think you could go outside of campus for some better services? (Also, welcome back, glad to have you here again!)
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Hey moped repair shop: I didn't realize I was paying you to break my moped. It's not supposed to shudder and die in the middle of traffic a mile away from where I paid you money to make it run better. That's not the idea behind our transaction. Thanks for the fun mortal danger, though.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kath on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:07 am

My office has 4 people with the same name (and a range of spellings). Mostly, we use different nicknames (and one often goes by their last name), but I sit beside one of them and one of the others was my direct manager, and one of the others works the event I program.

Since I started sitting beside one of the other people with the same name (and we're in lots of meetings together), I get called her nickname a LOT, and today I even got called a short form that no one in the office actually uses.

Some of the people know and are just getting confused (which is fair) and I correct others at lot. But it's starting to confuse ME Sad

Also I think some people hear the wrong ending consonant sound when I say my name, and THEN call me the wrong one and I have to correct a few times.

Also it really confuses me to be called the wrong name all the time.
kath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Lying on the floor to cut out pattern pieces may not have been the best idea after 3.5 hours of canoeing. My body hurts everywhere.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:59 pm

How do you move on when you can't stop thinking about it, and each time you do, you just end up more confused?
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:53 pm

In my FB feed today, a link to Emma Thompson in Variety talking about how Hollywood is getting more sexist not less, and a link to Jennifer Lawrence talking about finding out how much more her costars with dicks made (millions more) and worrying when negotiating that she'll be seen as a spoiled brat. Reading those just made me so depressed. Like, feeling like we should just turn out the lights and lock the door and go home, because it will never end, it will never get better, we will never be equal. Because fuck, even fucking movie stars don't get treated equal, so what hope is there for the rest of us. It's just fucking discouraging.
Caffeinated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Friend of mine tried to start a discussion about how rape should be categorized, some as more "rape rape" and others as "accidental rape".

Tried to make a bunch of "women manipulate men" and "women always falsely accuse" type of statements.

No. I'm not having that in my friend group.

Told him how I was assaulted, shut him up fast.

But it pissed me off that I had to justify/explain how I'd been assaulted, and because it wasn't "Stranger jumping out of bushes" assault he felt it wasn't as serious as another form.

Sometimes I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
InkAndComb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:10 pm

InkAndComb wrote:"accidental rape"
Shocked What the fuck could that possibly even be intended to mean? The ol' "slipped and fell" chestnut?

Sorry this person exists in your life.
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Yeah, it sucks because he's usually pretty awesome. As a gay, white male friend he is usually an ally.

But he has a huge sense of entitlement and comes from a very small town (none of which guarentee ignorance but his lack of exposure to other types of persons and experiences clearly shine in a lot of his interactions).

He's very priviledged in the sense of openly saying he's never had to work for anything, is always given the benefit of the doubt, and doesn't have to worry about being taken seriously...

unfortunately he also has been saying stuff recently like "women only manipulate guys" and "well, it's unfortunate but true that women _____"

As a social work/psych major (and he is an acting major), when I start whipping out facts and statistics he usually backs down.

BUT. I don't like how he seems to think that there is this secret enclave of women oppressing men.

He keeps saying things like "women have it so much easier than men, in everything. They can just say "oh he raped me" and men get whisked away to prison"

When I reminded him the last assault reported on campus resulted in the girl dropping the case because a fraternity and wealthy family was involved and pressured her to settle, he was like "well normally it goes like that, where they get arrested, but maybe not that time" (no it doesn't, and its' very very hard around here to make those claims and get them taken seriously. I think he's just quoting stuff from...somewhere? But rape/assault claims are very hard to press charges/get action taken against here).

Last edited by InkAndComb on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarifying)
InkAndComb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:55 am

There is nothing good in my life, and I don't have the ability to change that fact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Moved to my dream apartment six months ago. Cool, breezy, quiet, private, with heartrending views of ocean, skyline, misty valley. "Let's stay here forever," we said in earnest. Spent the whole summer weeding, cleaning, repairing, painting, hauling enormous truckloads of old garbage out of the yard. Put our own money into fixing the appliances and getting rid of the roaches. Sewed custom curtains for the oddly-sized windows. Set up a home office to start working on my dissertation there next year: couldn't imagine a better place to write, or live. Would sit at the window staring at the sea in silent gratitude for having found such an incredible home.

Found out last night that our landlord is getting foreclosed on. We have 90 days to get out after the bank takes it. She knew all along that she was probably going to lose the house, knew we wanted to stay for years, and let us sink all that time and effort into improvements so it'd sell faster. Fuck. Fuck.
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Oh, no, that's awful Werel! I'm so sorry.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:36 pm

Oh, that sucks! Having to move out from somewhere you like is always lousy, and so much worse when you've put that much work into it!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:36 pm

UGH! That is horrible Werel. And from what I know of where you are finding good, affordable housing with a less than hell commute is hard
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Hey, Pagliacci, you probably know that other people will disagree with what you said, but since it's in Rants I'm going to assume you don't want suggestions or discussion, so I'm just going to treat it as an expression of how you feel about things. Sorry you're feeling that way.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:15 pm

My sadfeels are not for you to know. Whenever I feel like that, I put on the most obnoxious and whiny song(Tears Don't Fall) in my memory and act like Mr. Glowry from Nightmare Abbey for a bit in a fit of hipster catharsis. It's weird, but it's a better alternative than opening up to your wretched attempts to politicize my emotions.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:04 pm

Why is there no more baking soda? That box was at least half-full when I went to use it for laundry the week before last; there should have been some left today for me to do laundry. And then one of you two actually left the empty box on the damn shelf. Not even a tablespoon worth left.

What makes me even more pissed off about this mess is that I just returned from the store.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Out of ignorance, you can use it for laundry?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:28 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:Out of ignorance, you can use it for laundry?

Yeah it's supposed to help with hard water, helps the detergent make suds, and helps make clothes a bit softer.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 24 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum