NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+34
bomaye
Hielario
Hirundo Bos
The Mikey
G minor
Yoshiland
Amygdala
Aggrax
Izmuth
Mara_
Prajnaparamita
Mme. Lara
Conreezy
WJMorris3
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
Barretts_Salt
Xexyz
sky
Caffeinated
KMR
caliseivy
kath
litterature
Gentleman Johnny
Robjection
waxingjaney
readertorider
PintsizeBro
Wondering
The Wisp
eselle28
reboot
nearly_takuan
38 posters

Page 9 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 9 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by waxingjaney Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:01 pm

This is your brain's way of telling you it wants to be an Evil Overlord residing in an Evil Tower of Ominousness.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 9 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by WJMorris3 Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:43 am

Never thought I'd say it, but Wednesday we have a Powerball jackpot worth an annuitized $1.3 billion. With a B.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:22 pm

My husband and I watched Wild (the movie where Reese Witherspoon plays Cheryl Strayed on her solo hike of the Pacific Crest Trail).

My husband said, "This movie is really good at making you feel the tension of Shroedinger's Rapist. Which one, if any, of these men is going to assault the protagonist?"

I responded, "Yeah, and even how compliments and favors can be menacing or suspicious. Welcome to real life as a woman going about alone."

Also, woman protagonist, hiking a trail alone, and remembering her mother? Passes the Bechdel test in spades.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:02 am

Interesting look at the role women played in early Christian lore: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-rebel-virgins-and-desert-mothers-who-have-been-written-out-of-christianitys-early-history

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:53 am

BasedBuzzed wrote:Interesting look at the role women played in early Christian lore: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-rebel-virgins-and-desert-mothers-who-have-been-written-out-of-christianitys-early-history

A-yup. I have a book on the desert mothers. (I have a lot of books on feminist theology. Wink)

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:22 am

I haven't cried in years. I just don't seem to have the capacity anymore. I wish I could, because I think it would at least temporarily help relieve some of the pain I feel from all the abuse in my past and the scars that it left behind, as well as all the terrible loneliness I feel now.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:36 am

So are all the guys on OKC "fit" or work out as a main hobby? Seems to be all I'm seeing lately.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Is it wrong to have spit on the ground as I passed a pro-life rally?
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:04 pm

That ominous feeling when you realize you haven't seen or heard any of your pets in at least a couple of hours.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:00 am

When I see what Alternate-1985 Biff Tannen did to Hill Valley, I think that that's what a Trump presidency would look like

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:47 am

Alt-Biff was based on Trump, according to what my husband tells me.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:47 am

"Her message reads that she's into dominant men. Is she signalling she's DTF? I don't understand the subtext."

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mme. Lara Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Wondering wrote:
A-yup. I have a book on the desert mothers. (I have a lot of books on feminist theology. Wink)

Can I get some recs? I've only gotten into liberation theology very recently. (first message, btw. Hi! I'm new)

Mme. Lara

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Sure thing. I don't know how contemporary any of them will be since many of them I read back in college (20 years ago). Much of it will be more second wave feminism, but here you go, in no particular order:

The Women's Bible Commentary. Edited by Carol A. Newsom and Sharon H. Ringe
Womanspirit Rising: A Feminist Reader in Religion. Edited by Carol P. Christ and Judith Plaksow
Diving Deep and Surfacing: Women Writers on Spiritual Quest. By Carol P. Christ
Helpmates, Harlots, Heroes: Women's Stories in the Hebrew Bible. By Alice Ogden Bellis
When Women Were Priests: Women's Leadership in the Early Church & the Scandal of their Subordination in the Rise of Christianity. By Karen Jo Torjesen
Rhetoric and Ethic: The Politics of Biblical Studies. By Elisabeth Schuessler Fiorenza
Reformed and Feminist: A Challenge to the Church. By Johanna W.H. van Wijk-Bos
The Serpent and the Goddess: Women, Religion, and Power in Celtic Ireland. By Mary Condren

Feminist and liberation theology have overlaps in theory, if not specifics (Fiorenza's book may work for liberation, too), so they might be good to do together or in succession.

Welcome!

Last edited by Wondering on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Mme. Lara Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks a lot! Fiorenza was on my list with 'In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins'. All of these sound really interesting, I'll add them to my to-read Goodreads list.

Mme. Lara

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:43 pm

And I see I typoed her first name. Shame on me!

Fixed.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:15 am

I'm always fascinated by comparisons between power structures: http://architizer.com/blog/power-plant-architecture/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:46 am

While I didn't grow up with the animated series, I much prefer Cal Dodd over Steve Blum, Mark Hamill and the rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:08 am

The Swiss Family Robinson text game was annoying as hell. Took me a month to figure out I was supposed to build a raft to get off the ship.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:51 pm

Me playing Pagan Ultima VIII as a 4-to-5-year-old boy: running around the city with nary a clue what I'm supposed to do.

Me playing Pagan Ultima VIII as a 24-year-old man: running around the city with nary a clue what I'm supposed to do.

Ah, nostalgia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 pm

It really bugs me that they have Lea Thompson play Marty's ancestor in Back to the Future III. There should be no resemblance between Marty's mom who married a McFly and another woman from a century prior who married a McFly. Marty looking like his ancestor, sure, but not his mom looking like her. It's not her ancestor.

In a related vein, the TNG episode with Dr. Crusher's ghost candle bugs me in that they talk about how the ghost/alien in the candle has been hanging out with this family of Howard women for 800 years or so. Dr. Crusher's maiden name being Howard. Her grandmother being of the Howard clan. Matrilineal descent doesn't work for a clan that goes back to hundreds of years ago in Scotland. You can't have a line of Howard women all with that last name for 800 years.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:34 pm

I think I'm supposed to find the singing Super Bowl babies cute, but I honestly don't care whether random strangers conceive after the game or not.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:12 am

I'm suspicious it's even true. The Superbowl is not a power outage.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:58 am

I believe the theory is that fans of the winning team would be excited and engage in additional vigorous celebrations after the game.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:24 pm

I get the theory. I just doubt its veracity in application.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum