Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by reboot on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:25 am

Wondering wrote:I thought I read somewhere once upon a time that Greece is worried their province of Macedonia will secede and join the country of Macedonia of the country gets that name by itself. Does that seem at all like an accurate assessment?

I heard that they just did not want Macedonia using the name without paying for it and they are afraid people will get confused and think Alexander the Great did not come from Greece. The truth? Who knows?
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:21 pm

"Outer space" and "the room" are the same word in Norwegian, so I posted a drawing of an elephant in space on Twitter, and... it really generated a lot of conversation.
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:29 am

One of my mother's favourite things to scream at me was "Why don't you just die? Die! DIE!! DIIIIIEEEE!!!!"

That's actually a very good question. I don't have a good answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:55 am

That's a really horrible thing to have happened to you, Pagliacci. I'm sorry.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:22 pm

What an awful thing to experience coming from a family member, Pagliacci, I'm sorry that happened and that you're feeling that way. It doesn't sound like you're in crisis right now, but in case you are having seriously suicidal thoughts, I really want to encourage you to seek help for it, I know you've had some really bad experiences with mental health services and crisis support and I can definitely see why you'd be reluctant to try that again, but there do exist non-horrible crisis people out there, and you deserve to find them. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I really hope you will if you need them.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm not in crisis, just in a lot of pain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Glad to hear you're not in crisis, though I'm sorry you're in pain.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara_ on Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:03 am

I just learnt the coolest thing about bodies! Does anyone here get a sore throat and stuffy nose on the first day of their period? I do, and after some googling it turns out that progesterone is a an upper airway muscle dilator that basically keeps your tongue tense. So when your levels go down (right at the start of your period) your tongue relaxes too much when you're asleep and stomach juices travel up to your throat and nose and irritate them! I LOVE SCIENCE!
I hate my stuffy nose though, I wish physical health was like mental health, where knowing how and why stuff happens makes it happen less.
Mara_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:32 am

Ohhhhhhh! I always assumed it was just because my immune system sucks more than usual when I'm on my period (which it does) and so I land up half-failing to fight off a cold (which I do a lot anyway Neutral). Science to the rescue!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:47 pm

I've reached a point in life where I'll be going to funerals more often.
waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:32 pm

The only customers who ever apologize for anything are the ones who haven't done anything that even marginally requires an apology.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:10 pm

I think I've mentioned before my friend who posts "inspirational" quotes on Facebook that in the end would really be about people, and women especially, not standing up for themselves.

This was today's:
What if we treated everybody like they deserved all of our attention? Maybe our goal as people shouldn't be to become a celebrity, but to live in a way that makes everyone around us feel celebrated. - Brad Mantague & Robby Novak (a.k.a Kid President)

And I had such a hard time not snarking: "If I gave everybody all of my attention, I would be exhausted and have no time left to care for myself."

I really have a hard time not snarking on her posts. Neutral

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:26 pm

I admire your willpower, Wondering! I find sooooooo many "inspirational" quotes are either just not true or are actually terrible suggestions. I can put up with bad advice, but sappy, fluffy bad advice drives me up the wall!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Trashy eurodance is my sound this week.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 pm

BasedBuzzed wrote:Trashy eurodance is my sound this week.

Is it Eurovision time again?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Nah, been putting on albums of E-rotic.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:57 am

What exactly is it about prunes that people don't like?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 pm

I don't get that, either. They're just dried plums. I think it may be two things.
1) Prune juice is really strong and can be unpleasant ("a warrior's drink," as Worf said. Wink ).
2) Reputation (mostly derived from the juice).

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:27 pm

I can tell you I don't like them because of the taste (haven't had one in some time so can't really describe that).
But I also don't like plums either.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Might start doing the streaming thing at random times...

If you ever feel so inclined to see me get my ass handed to in Dark Souls, here's the link.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 pm

HermitTheToad wrote:What exactly is it about prunes that people don't like?

I don't like most dried fruit. It's gummy and the process does strange things to the taste. Raisins are particularly vile, but prunes aren't a favorite, either.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:02 am

Now, see, yours and caliseivy's reasons make sense. You don't like dried fruit in general. She doesn't like plums in general.

But I agree with Hermit the Toad that prunes do seem to have a bad reputation with people who just don't like prunes specifically. I am also generally curious why that is.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:21 am

Oh, I see. I've never had prune juice so I wouldn't know.

I don't really like plump raisins all that either, though I can tolerate it better when its dried out.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:23 am

Wondering wrote:Now, see, yours and caliseivy's reasons make sense. You don't like dried fruit in general. She doesn't like plums in general.

But I agree with Hermit the Toad that prunes do seem to have a bad reputation with people who just don't like prunes specifically. I am also generally curious why that is.

I think my analysis is a bit parallel with yours, at least in terms of reputation impact:

1. Prune juice is something that at least some people drink for practical purposes rather than because they care for it, and people are more likely to complain about foods they feel forced to consume than ones they can just avoid if they dislike them.

2. Prune is a funny-sounding word, the sort that people kind of want to make jokes about.

3. Relieving constipation is just enough potty humor for TV, but not so much that it gets censored. It's also something that most people understand. (Contrast cranberry juice, which people also drink for practical purposes, but leads to jokes that are either considered inappropriate for TV or that men might not understand. Rather than being reviled, it's a popular drink mixer)

4. If there are lots of prune jokes on TV because of both some genuine animosity toward it and because it's an easy target, some people who haven't tried prunes will assume they're gross. I know this can happen, because I spent my childhood assuming that asparagus, spinach, and brussels sprouts were all dreadful because characters on TV constantly made fun of them. I was terribly grateful my mother preferred peas and beans never served any of the gross punishment vegetables...until I actually tried them as an adult and ended up considering them some of my favorite foods.

This might actually be a testable theory, or at least I'd be curious to know if people under the age of 10 or so have negative opinions about prunes. It seems like pushes toward healthy eating have led to jokes about hating vegetables being a lot less common in children's TV, or at least I don't think I've heard any in the shows my niece watches.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum