NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+34
bomaye
Hielario
Hirundo Bos
The Mikey
G minor
Yoshiland
Amygdala
Aggrax
Izmuth
Mara_
Prajnaparamita
Mme. Lara
Conreezy
WJMorris3
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
Barretts_Salt
Xexyz
sky
Caffeinated
KMR
caliseivy
kath
litterature
Gentleman Johnny
Robjection
waxingjaney
readertorider
PintsizeBro
Wondering
The Wisp
eselle28
reboot
nearly_takuan
38 posters

Page 16 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 16 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:10 pm

...I just finished an essay paper for a class in a public college where two of my sources ended up being the Bible and the Qur'an - for a literary analysis.

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 16 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Just realized I kinda have a bit of a dad bod.

But I don't have kids! Well, if you don't count a dog as a child. Razz

EDIT: Also trying to paint like Irakli Nadar is hard as fuck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:47 am

I'm broke. Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 16 Psyduck

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:45 pm

News Genius has some wonderful annotations by the Weird Twitter squad (shame the service will probably be hijacked by people who want to turn the entire web into a comments section for all the wrong reasons, but it's launched by some ex-Gawker peeps so the ceiling on what's acceptable is probably pretty high).

Update: I can annotate OKC profiles. I can annotate forum threads. I love this world.

Last edited by BasedBuzzed on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:05 pm

People who have access to plenty of pictures of me have begun to tell me that I'm a sexually frustrated feminist and that I should go and scrub some floors. It seems that my ability to pass has improved dramatically in the past two weeks.
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:23 pm

War Journal, July 21/2026 08:18

My infiltration of San Diego Comic Con so far has been successful. I sit here across from the portfolio review booths in the old Sails Pavilion of the convention center. This building is old and filled with archaic tech from the 1980's, hard to imagine old school blocky "modern" pay phones were the way of the future. Boy were they wrong...

...to be continued...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:49 pm

There's this girl who went to the same high-school as me who's also competing in the Rio 2016 Paralympics. I just saw her on an ad on YouTube as a brand ambassador for Toyota.

We never knew each other at school, and she could've been a year above or below me at the time. It's a strange and cool coincidence to see her having gotten so far...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Welp, Comic-Con is over. Can't help but be a little bummed by it, but hey, that's life. :3

Perfect theme to end it by, if you ask me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:08 am

There isn't much that excites me these days but, I'm having Abzu downloaded as I write this. Hope it's as good as it seems nailbiting panic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Applied for a new job as a video editor in a swanky part of town through LinkedIn. Man that's a weird application process, I tell ya hwhat. Here's hoping...

Or if I can, maybe I'll be a photojournalist at the station.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:41 am

I just finished watching the movie Non-Stop, only to learn about this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-03/emirates-airline-plane-crash-lands-at-dubai-airport/7687860

I think my family and I have flown with Emirates to get to Trivandrum a long while back. Talk about crazy coincidences.Run in circles flail

Glad Inside is coming out this month:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 pm

This (the bit under 8/3/2016) has got to be the best "server going down for maintenance soon" announcement I've ever read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:56 am

Aaaah, there's nothing like a good shot of body anxiety to brighten my day. Shiny/thrilled

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Walking into the forums like... "Hello... is there anybody in [here]? Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at home?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:37 pm

I realized yesterday that I've started subconsciously avoiding (young) male checkers at Whole Foods. And I realized it's because all my encounters with them have been unpleasant. They've been mansplainy or condescending or annoyed with my toddler who's just sitting there babbling or inattentive because they're flirting with a young woman on the staff. But mostly, it's been the mansplainy condescension.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:20 am

Prediction: Million Dollar Extreme's World Peace on Adult Swim is going to lead to a lot of outrage as the review cadre's going to notice how it's Tim and Eric plus altright memes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Dear CBC, please stop calling Canadian athletes "Canadian content." They are human beings; they are not "content." Doesn't matter how much Canada-related Olympics coverage you're required to show, please stop with the phrasing.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:08 am

At least you likely get to see more live Olympics than we do here in the states - here, they're fond of tape delay.

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:11 am

IIRC that is a particular term of art that refers to broadcasts of Canadians doing various things. CBC for one is required by law to feature a certain percentage of "Canadian content" in its radio and TV broadcasts.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm in the States. I'm just close enough to also get CBC. And the reason I'm watching is exactly because it's live.

waxingjaney wrote:IIRC that is a particular term of art that refers to broadcasts of Canadians doing various things. CBC for one is required by law to feature a certain percentage of "Canadian content" in its radio and TV broadcasts.

Yes. I'm aware of this and of the phrase. My problem is not that they show it. It's that they label the athletes "Canadian content." I'm not Canadian, so I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if they're required by law to say, "X race is coming up next. Y athlete is your Canadian content." I would assume they could a) just show the race with the Canadian, or b) say, "Y Canadian athlete is in X race coming up next."

I find it really dehumanizing the way they do it, as if people are only shown because they fit some legal quota and are thus referred to as that law instead of as people.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:04 pm

Wondering wrote:I'm in the States. I'm just close enough to also get CBC. And the reason I'm watching is exactly because it's live.

waxingjaney wrote:IIRC that is a particular term of art that refers to broadcasts of Canadians doing various things. CBC for one is required by law to feature a certain percentage of "Canadian content" in its radio and TV broadcasts.

Yes. I'm aware of this and of the phrase. My problem is not that they show it. It's that they label the athletes "Canadian content." I'm not Canadian, so I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if they're required by law to say, "X race is coming up next. Y athlete is your Canadian content." I would assume they could a) just show the race with the Canadian, or b) say, "Y Canadian athlete is in X race coming up next."

I find it really dehumanizing the way they do it, as if people are only shown because they fit some legal quota and are thus referred to as that law instead of as people.
Oddly enough, if they've got Canadian commentators, then what does it honestly matter if the athletes are Canadian? (That would satisfy the rule if I understand correctly.) But yeah, I don't get the dehumanizing.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:54 pm

>she has a 4 year relationship, apparently
>Tinder match a year ago with no follow-up
>Does not seem like the type for open relationship
Curiosity browsing is something that happens, but this still makes me chuckle.

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Wondering wrote:I find it really dehumanizing the way they do it, as if people are only shown because they fit some legal quota and are thus referred to as that law instead of as people.

That's pretty much exactly why it's presented that way.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon/mandate.htm

Note that CBC has higher percentage requirements than other networks.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:13 pm

I think you must be misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not objecting to there being Canadian content laws or CBC having higher standards than other networks because it's public.

I'm objecting to people being called "content." There's nothing I read at that link that says announcers or anchors or whomever have to explicitly use the phrase "Canadian content." It just says they have to provide it. Which is what I already knew.

(And if CBC is only providing Canadian content and coverage of Canadian athletes because they're legally required to and would not do so otherwise, I give a side-eye to them.)

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:54 pm

I imagine they're providing coverage of Canadian athletes because that's what viewers want to watch in Canada Razz
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum