Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Yoshiland on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:17 am

Is this where the fun people hang? Please tell me it is, y'all are cool and the whining gets tiresome.
Yoshiland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara_ on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:22 am

Yoshiland wrote:Is this where the fun people hang? Please tell me it is, y'all are cool and the whining gets tiresome.

Oh we produce plenty of whining around here. But we *are* cool. Hi!!! I crossed the border to Chile to buy scuba gear cheaper and I'm having a white wine - passion fruit looking at the snowy mountains out the window. Chile Rocks.!
Mara_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:59 am

Oh damn, what kind of scuba gear did you buy? You're auto-cool if you own your own BCD. Razz
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara_ on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Werel wrote:Oh damn, what kind of scuba gear did you buy? You're auto-cool if you own your own BCD. Razz

Actually as of yesterday I do! And it's got a fuckton of lift capacity too!
I'm going to Brazil next month to train as a public safety diver (ERDI supervisor) and I need my own gear so I'm getting everything ready. But Argentina is not that big on diving (that's why I'm going to Brazil to train with a military instructor there) and everything is super expensive so it was cheaper to fly to Chile for a week and get everything here.

I might or might not have worn it in front of the mirror this morning.
Mara_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 pm

This is probably not the right place for this post, but I couldn't find a better one, so here goes:
I wanted to apologise for suddenly disappearing and leaving your friendly PMs and posts unanswered. Transitioning is... tough, and I'm not really at my best although things are somewhat better now, so I sorta dropped everything and became a bit of a hermit, plus I not-so-gradually drifted away from DNL main because I'm not sure I'm the target demographic. So I wanted to say I'm sorry about forum-ghosting on all of you!

litterature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:22 pm

Mara_ wrote:
Actually as of yesterday I do! And it's got a fuckton of lift capacity too!
I'm going to Brazil next month to train as a public safety diver (ERDI supervisor) and I need my own gear so I'm getting everything ready. But Argentina is not that big on diving (that's why I'm going to Brazil to train with a military instructor there) and everything is super expensive so it was cheaper to fly to Chile for a week and get everything here.

I might or might not have worn it in front of the mirror this morning.

That's aaaawesome, what kind of additional/specialty gear do safety divers use? And what kind of BCD? I'd be twirling around in front of the mirror in that shit too Laughing

@litterature heyyyy, nice to hear from you! The other day I actually thought apropos of nothing "I hope literature is well, girl had great music taste", and voilà, you drop by. Take care of yourself. Hope things keep getting better for you.
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 pm

litterature wrote:This is probably not the right place for this post, but I couldn't find a better one, so here goes:
I wanted to apologise for suddenly disappearing and leaving your friendly PMs and posts unanswered. Transitioning is... tough, and I'm not really at my best although things are somewhat better now, so I sorta dropped everything and became a bit of a hermit, plus I not-so-gradually drifted away from DNL main because I'm not sure I'm the target demographic. So I wanted to say I'm sorry about forum-ghosting on all of you!

Awww man litterature, I was also just thinking of you too! I was recently shoe shopping, and I found a super cute pair of wicked comfortable summer shoes, and like you never find that combo of comfy enough to wear while dancing for like four straight hours at the show and then walking all the way home but also cute enough for everyday use and no blisters even brand new, they also went up to size 14 and I was like "damn, I wish litterature was here so that we could get cute summer shoes together that fit." Because like, I know I can't help you much at all with living in our bullshit world filled with transmisogyny and bigotry and hate, but I can help you find nice shoes. So at least you don't have to worry about your feet.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:25 pm

Mara_ wrote:
Hirundo Bos wrote:Got a match on Tinder that mentioned an interest in the 1920's, and one ting led to another, and now you're making plans for a test ride in your time machine.

You know you have Asperger's syndrome when a small part of you worries she'll be disappointed when she learns you don't actually own a time machine.

UPDATE: We're planning to meet for a cup of coffee this tuesday. Looks like I've managed to learn something from the improv-for-beginners class I took last weekend.

So how did it go??

We had a nice cup of coffee and then a nice long walk at random through the city, but not a lot more beyond that.

But right now I matched with someone who made a reference to Oz from Buffy, replied something about a werewolf, and again a small part of me worries she'll be disappointed when she finds out I'm not one.
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Litterature! Good to hear from you! Sorry transitioning is being so tough, I hope things become easier soon and that the good stuff outweighs the difficult stuff.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Elderly trans woman on the street: "That's a nice blouse."
Me: "Thanks, I like your necklace."
Her: "Oh, this? It's just a bauble to draw attention to the fact that I have boobies."

Adorable Laughing
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 am

My husband got a bad haircut this weekend. He is not happy with it. The stylist buzzed the sides by his ears and just above, and left the top kind of long and floopy. My husband says this is a Nazi haircut. I told him that normally, that would just be a bad haircut, but currently, he should probably go back and get the top shortened, too, like he wanted from the start. pale

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:39 pm

That's more of a circa 1920 haircut. Hitler liked the style and kept it long after it fell out of fashion.
waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Since it appears climate change is going to kill us all before the next century, I don't really see the point of anything. This is the real zombie apocalypse, and two T1 diabetics aren't getting out of that alive.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Hey, I know things are serious and very, genuinely scary, but we're not there yet. Don't surrender to the zombies before they actually show up.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Wondering wrote:Since it appears climate change is going to kill us all before the next century, I don't really see the point of anything. This is the real zombie apocalypse, and two T1 diabetics aren't getting out of that alive.

Naah, y'all can come hang out on my houseboat.
waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Haha. Thanks.

I more concerned about ability to acquire insulin, which is made in Europe, and refrigerate it once the power grid and transportation break down than our personal ability to deal with rising sea levels.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Things aren't necessarily going to break down in an even fashion across the board. It's pretty likely that if the apocalypse comes, some people and some areas will be in full apocalypse mode while others still have access to existing infrastructure and new technological adaptations, and the things like insulin that go along with that. It's a grim comfort, and a selfish one, but inequality is pretty likely to be a force in how things go, and that could be to the benefit of any of us. It's not time to despair.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm

I live in a coastal region dependent on snow pack for water and for its hydroelectricity. The insulin my daughter and I use is made in Denmark, a significantly coastal nation. You're right things won't happen evenly, but coastal regions will be affected sooner.

Honestly, much of the electricity in the western part of the US comes from all the hydroelectric dams in the Pacific Northwest. Without the snow pack that feeds the rivers, and with a national policy that moves us out of the Paris accords and away from solar and wind, our regional power grid, though clean, is at risk.

It's not time to despair. It is time to start planning. By the time things break down, it will be too late.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Yes, planning is a good idea.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 pm

The annual firewood splitting has arrived.

Activating dormant muscles suuuuucks. Profuse sweating and achey pain until they get used to things Neutral
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Lumberjack powers activate!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:23 pm

I wanted it with the gluten! Crying
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:22 am

At work I have a co-worker who insists that the TV above our heads be tuned into FOX NEWS at all times. The volume is off, but I often find it distracting and annoying. Then again, the rest of the office has ESPN, or, "SPORTSCENTER IS NEXT, THE CHANNEL", so rock/hard place.

Observations:

- If you are reporting on the same piece of news for the past 100 hours straight, it is no longer "breaking" or an "alert".
- Some of the shorthand codes for longer words on the text crawl requires more of a legend to understand what stuff means than Klingon dialogue.
- When waiting for a press release, there is no need to show LIVE FOOTAGE of an empty podium either in full or small screen for minutes or hours. Nor is "TBA" considered "breaking news" or an "alert". Just cut to the podium when the person is there. Why are we looking at a podium? Is it going to transform into a robot and attack the press pool? Is Donald Trump going to rise through the floor with theatrical smoke alongside Otis, Bizarro, and Nuclear Man? Come on.
- Apparently nobody can report on a natural disaster in progress from the safety of high ground or a studio. Some poor person on the low end of the totem pole MUST be right in the middle of events, about to be blown away. And you can't just report on massive flooding/snowfall, someone has to LITERALLY be standing in it. To heck with a journalism degree...who in the office has the best galoshes?
- I have to be honest, sometimes I wouldn't mind the world coming to an end if only because I want to see what cheap graphic and lame jingle a TV news crew would come up for it. "WELCOME TO LIVE COVERAGE OF APOCALYPSE 2020, LIVE ON NBC1! NOW LET'S JOIN CHET SQUAREJAW AS HE INTERVIEWS ONE OF THE DEMONS THAT HAVE INVADED INTERSTATE 21. CHET, HOW'RE THINGS GOING? WILL THE COMMUTE BE OKAY?"
- Weather forecasters who act like they are Storm or Thor and can personally control the weather annoy me.
- Awkward segues to weather reports annoy me. "--massive flames of heat destroyed the entire district. Speaking of heat--"

That's all for now.
Datelessman

View user profile https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:51 pm

It is the year 2017 AD, and my boyfriend's southern grandma is using anime sweatdrop emojis. To talk about maybe trying recreational marijuana. God bless us, every one.
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:18 pm

I saw a grey haired guy walking down the street with a Green Lantern shirt on. My near-80 year old neighbour is jacked to buy a Tesla electric truck one of these years and was telling me about electric power and batteries and all the new electronics. Also my 50+ year old mom wants to get her first tattoo in the near future.

It finally happened, our scum Millennial values filtered up and now the old people don't give a fuck anymore either Uh-oh
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum