NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+34
bomaye
Hielario
Hirundo Bos
The Mikey
G minor
Yoshiland
Amygdala
Aggrax
Izmuth
Mara_
Prajnaparamita
Mme. Lara
Conreezy
WJMorris3
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
Barretts_Salt
Xexyz
sky
Caffeinated
KMR
caliseivy
kath
litterature
Gentleman Johnny
Robjection
waxingjaney
readertorider
PintsizeBro
Wondering
The Wisp
eselle28
reboot
nearly_takuan
38 posters

Page 23 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 23 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by eselle28 Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Saw a smaller version of this in an office this morning. Pretty sure I managed to hide my expression of utter terror, but my attempt at walking rather than running may have been a bit forced.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 23 Office-wall-decor-motivational-12-1814
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 23 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Enail Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:40 pm

My emotions are such suckers. I put eyedrops in, my brain is like "water from eyes? Oh no! That means I'm sad!!! So sad! Sad Sad Sad Whyyyy is the world so cruel." Facepalm
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Enail wrote:My emotions are such suckers. I put eyedrops in, my brain is like "water from eyes? Oh no! That means I'm sad!!! So sad! Sad Sad Sad Whyyyy is the world so cruel." Facepalm

Like DNL often says, sometimes our bodies have a reaction and our minds come up with a reason later. Hence why he's a proponent of go-cart dates.

About two Thanksgivings ago I happened to find the animated Charlotte's Web movie on a local channel from the 70's. I found myself bawling my eyes out at the end; having a handicapped mom and watching that probably wasn't for the best. I didn't even realize it, it was like, "Oh, these rivers have appeared under my eyes at random."
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Last night, I dreamt that I could sense every medium sized rock in the world, and that it was my responsibility to keep track of them all and make sure they were in the right place.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Greetings from 2018 to those of you still in the year before.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:18 am

Now that we’ve all joined you in 2018, happy new year to you too!
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:19 am

Hirundo Bos wrote:Greetings from 2018 to those of you still in the year before.
Greetings from 2018 to you, too! I just joined this board in mid-2017 and I'm still here! Run in circles flail
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:37 pm

We made it! Happy new year, everyone!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Enail wrote:We made it! Happy new year, everyone!
Happy New Year, Enail!
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:51 pm

When people ask how my partner and I met, we tell the truth -- but now I'm going to have to include the timestamp, in case they think I'm talking about the new OKCupid....
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:03 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:When people ask how my partner and I met, we tell the truth -- but now I'm going to have to include the timestamp, in case they think I'm talking about the new OKCupid....

Congrats! I'm pleased you found success and someone to be happy with! Thumbs-up

And also, seriously, OkCupid is changing that stuff?

Jeez. My desire to even wade back in has diminished greatly. And aside for PlentyOfFish, that's the only major dating site where you don't need either an iPhone or to pay. nailbiting panic
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm

Last month I read a post on r/TheProtomen by a guy who says the band saved his life. For several bad reasons and one good one, they sort-of saved mine, too. I have a short essay written on that subject now and am still deciding whether to cram it into the comments of that thread or make my own.

I did tell "Scott Alexander" last week that, for one bad reason and several good ones, he saved my life.

And now I'm back here, 'cause all y'all deserve to know that this community saved my life a whole bunch and so did a big handful of individual members, whether you wanted to or not. For a cringey whiny annoying Kylo Ren type who did not deserve saving, it sure happened a lot. Just wanted you to know it's still appreciated.

I don't know how this forum stays hosted -- is it funded 100% by the ads or is somebody having to pay out of pocket? If the latter, is there a way I can help?
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Really glad to hear this community helped you, Nearly! Forumotion is a free forum provider, the ads cover it fully, but I appreciate the thought a lot Smile
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:14 pm

This isn't an Entertainment Joy nor a Rant, so I suppose it goes here. I benefited from Toys R' Us' recent economic woes by buying the entire DVD box set of BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES from one of their local shops pretty cheap last year, and am finally rewatching it now. While as a kid and teenager I've seen most of these episodes anywhere between 5-20 times, I hadn't really sat down to watch any for a good 15 or so years. I am still binging season 1 (which had 65 episodes) and the episode, "MAD AS A HATTER" stuck out with me. The reason was that, while it was certainly an entertaining and fascinating episode when it debuted in 1992, it also stood as a stark example, if not only slight exaggeration, of what DNL and others in this community would call "Nice Guy Behavior". In fact, you could probably retitle it, "BATMAN VS. NICE GUY" and it would still be valid.

Just as a brief summary, the focus of the episode is on Jervis Tetch (voiced by Roddy McDowell) who goes on to become the "Alice in Wonderland" themed villain, Mad Hatter. It follows Tetch from his beginnings as an odd fellow working in the R&D department of Wayne Enterprises and ends, naturally, with him becoming a costume clad, mind controlling super villain. As with many episodes, the motivation for the villain is presented, and what leaped out at me on this rewatch, especially considering my last 2+ years of reading DNL articles and interacting in the forums, was Tetch is a pretty good example of a "Nice Guy" or even the sort of dysfunctional men that too many women (and many dudes) have encountered, in a similar way that Disney's Gaston is.
Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 23 15
Tetch starts out obsessing over the floor's administrative assistant, Alice, as well as harboring seething resentment towards his supervisor, Marcia Cates. He worships her from afar but wouldn't dream of revealing his feelings towards her. He naturally has a real fondness for Lewis Carroll. His experiments involve using gadgets to control the minds of rats, which he aims to one day test on people. He talks to her as if they're destined to be lovers, while she finds him as "a sweet, funny man." When Tetch learns that Alice has a fiance named Billy, along with another admonishment from Cates for almost embarrassing her department during a visit from Bruce Wayne (where Tetch lies about his progress for selfish reasons), his thoughts become darker and angrier. He says out loud to his rat-slaves that he "could" realize that Alice is off limits and wish her and Billy well, but he chooses not to do so; he's entitled. The literal MOMENT Tetch learns that Alice and Billy had had a fight over commitment and had seemingly broken up (via overhearing a chat between she and Marcia), he IMMEDIATELY swoops in not as a friend, but as her Ultimate Suitor. His entire motivation towards refining his gadgets to control people is to design the "perfect date" to make Alice fall in love with him. This not only includes his weird Mad Hatter suit, but mind controlling everyone they encounter, from the horse carriage driver in the park to two muggers to restaurant staff to security guards to a theme park, in order to showcase his "status" to Alice about what an awesome man he is. Alice is entertained and friendly (and bewildered), but offers nothing concrete -- it was just a date which cheered her up after a bad day. Things get darker when Billy decides to take up Alice's offer and agrees to marry her, even buying her a diamond ring, and they make up. Tetch is entitled now, believes that Alice belongs to her, especially after all the effort he put in. Now Mad Hatter controls Billy to "make" him break up with Alice, and then uses him (along with Marcia) as his Wonderland themed minions to throw at Batman. Naturally, the moment Alice realizes what a creep he is and rejects him, Tetch mind-controls her, too (while bleating about how much this pains) him. However, it doesn't pain him enough to keep Tetch from kidnapping her and changing her clothes. This one climatic exchange between Batman and Tetch sums it up:

MAD HATTER: "I've waited my whole lovely life for her!"
BATMAN: "Then all you've waited for is a puppet. A soulless little doll."
MAD HATTER: "It didn't have to be this way! YOU made me do this to her!"

Naturally he blames Batman, even though every action was progressed by him. Naturally, Batman saves the day, etc. While Billy is hardly showcased as a perfect guy -- his relationship with Alice is shown as combative enough that they briefly break up after a nasty argument over commitment -- he's clearly shown to be a far better man despite his imperfections than the obsessive, seemingly "nice" Tetch. Because in the end, everything Tetch does, from showering affection at Alice to meddling with her life "for her own good" is all about control. And in the end, isn't that always what it comes down to with most "Nice GuysTM"? Control? Not being able to face rejection gracefully? Etc?

Eh, like I said, a random thought. I am just kind of amazed DNL never referenced this episode nor used a clip from it in his discussions about Nice Guys. At least not yet.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:28 pm

I just ran across my entry on one of those "background check" sites that aggregates info like phone numbers and aliases, and despite getting everything else right, they're also pulling data from some universe I wish my broke ass lived in. Shocked

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 23 Screen10
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 pm

Can I join that universe?
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Werel wrote:I just ran across my entry on one of those "background check" sites that aggregates info like phone numbers and aliases, and despite getting everything else right, they're also pulling data from some universe I wish my broke ass lived in.  Shocked

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 23 Screen10

Enail wrote:Can I join that universe?

Me too! Laughing

Seriously, it sounds like in regards to personal income, rather than list "unknown" or something, they have some catch-call program that seems to literally apply for homeless people to upper middle class business owners alike. :/

Maybe they took your salary and imagined if it adjusted to reflect inflation since the 30's or 50's? I.E. federal minimum wage would be about $16-$19 an hour had it kept up with inflation since the 60's. Other than that...yeah, they just didn't want to say they didn't know.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Fun with maps: https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/index.html

At max zoom, I can see the dot for my house.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by G minor Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 am

waxingjaney wrote:Fun with maps: https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/index.html
According to that map, five black people live in the White House (2010 data).  I wonder who's the fifth.
G minor
G minor

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:19 pm

An African friend just translated a French slang term for me as "shitful", which is my new favorite English word rofl rofl rofl
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Werel wrote:An African friend just translated a French slang term for me as "shitful", which is my new favorite English word rofl rofl rofl

That is hilarious. As a native New Yorker, I can certainly appreciate creative swearing! Thumbs-up

When I was younger, I tried to make "fupid" (the condensed form of "****ing stupid") and "ridicu****ilous" work. I don't think it caught on. Shrug
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 am

When your therapist tells you that none of your worries/anxieties are unreasonable. Surprised

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Saw a guy who looked exactly like Thor, wearing a shirt covered in cats riding taco rockets and pizza airplanes.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Enail wrote:Saw a guy who looked exactly like Thor, wearing a shirt covered in cats riding taco rockets and pizza airplanes.

Was he carrying a walking stick? Being stalked by some Frost Giants or a giant suit of armor? Or maybe Odin grounded him to Midguard again. I mean for an immortal, being banished to Earth for a few years is basically like being grounded for a weekend. Laughing
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:08 pm

After the initial surprise of washing your hands next to a dude, all-gender restrooms really aren’t that hard to get used to.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum