NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How NOT to write a harassment policy.

5 posters

Go down

How NOT to write a harassment policy. Empty How NOT to write a harassment policy.

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Hey, World Fantasy Convention, "If someone does something illegal, we'll call the cops," is not a harassment policy. If you don't want to use the word "harassment," you can just call it a Code of Conduct.

How NOT to write a harassment policy. 21888023253_e3bae97d48_b
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

How NOT to write a harassment policy. Empty Re: How NOT to write a harassment policy.

Post by Enail Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:49 pm

Wow, that's pretty sad.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

How NOT to write a harassment policy. Empty Re: How NOT to write a harassment policy.

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Apparently they're fixing it after people have complained, but the convention is just on the verge of happening, and they've had a whole year to come up with this!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:23 pm

"No one wants to behave in a manner that draws Police attention." Which would include reporting the harassing behavior, yeesh. Way to discourage reporting on top of everything else wrong with that policy.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:31 pm

>are severs
Did they just write this in 5 minutes only when someone asked after it?

You can just google and copypaste a harassment policy that's vague enough that you have to put zero extra effort in training your con staff, but that's so broad that it covers any complaints(people still complain that it's too nebulous? Just say that you don't want to be too exact to avoid rules lawyering!).

Last edited by BasedBuzzed on Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Seems to me they're taking a stand that they don't care about problematic behavior unless it's actually illegal.

(Also, unless "police" is a defined term somewhere else in this document, I don't understand why it's capitalized throughout. It is seriously bugging me.)

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:37 pm

BasedBuzzed wrote:>are severs
Did they just write this in 5 minutes only when someone asked after it?

You can just google and copypaste a harassment policy that's vague enough that you have to put zero extra effort in training your con staff, but that's broad that it covers any complaints(people still complain that it's too nebulous? Just say that you don't want to be too exact to avoid rules lawyering!).

This Con takes place on November 8, and they've only just released this policy. So, yeah, I'm guessing the drafting of it probably did take 5 minutes.

This is just a guess, but I wonder if this was a situation where people spent all year debating whether to have a harassment policy at all, with one or more of the organizers arguing against the idea. This kind of looks like the kind of compromise that's worth than both the alternatives but that people reach for at the last minute.

Wondering wrote:Seems to me they're taking a stand that they don't care about problematic behavior unless it's actually illegal.

(Also, unless "police" is a defined term somewhere else in this document, I don't understand why it's capitalized throughout. It is seriously bugging me.)

As far as I can tell, this isn't a document. It's a post on the Con's Facebook site, and this is all there is of it. It bugs me too!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:39 pm

My first thought is they're trying to torpedo the concept of a harassment policy by doing the worst job possible at producing one. I'm not sure if that's pessimistic or not.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum