NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 11 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by KMR Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:07 am

It's been my observation that people who started with the SNES games tend to think FF6 is the best of the series, whereas the ones who think FF7 is the best thing ever are those who got into the series starting with it (and may or may not have gone back to experience FF6 and earlier installments).

I'm firmly in the FF6 camp myself, as it was the first Final Fantasy game I played and I am proudly of the era of SNES RPGs. I like FF7, but I wasn't profoundly moved by it or anything.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:55 pm

There were aspects of FF7 that really got me. I remember being terrified of Sephiroth early on, to the point of being relieved that the game didn't let me fight him yet. And so furious that they killed off my healer! And Cloud's reveal felt novel, even if it feels a little clumsy looking back.  But once it got into the Jenova plot, it was pretty convoluted and awkward, and the characters didn't resonate with me as much as some other games. A game that really focused on the eco-terrorists vs. evil corporation would have been pretty interesting.

I'd probably say 6 was the better game overall, and the ones that hit me best on a personal level were 2/4 (it doesn't take much to sell me on a traitor best friend character) and 8 (I really enjoyed the characters, and I think that was the last FF game where I actually found the collectable minigame thing fun). But I do kind of think 7 needs the remake more than 6 does, because the graphics somehow age worse than the old-school style ones, I think it might be harder to replay as-is.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Enail wrote:...and 8 (I really enjoyed the characters, and I think that was the last FF game where I actually found the collectable minigame thing fun).

FF8 is one of my least favorite Final Fantasy games, but man did I enjoy that card game. I'm often tempted to replay it just for the card game, but the thought of drawing magic for hours on end tends to dissuade me.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:35 pm

I'm really disappointed in the new season of Orange Is The New Black. I'd been so looking forward to it, and now that I'm watching it, it's just kind of... meh. Not so much binge-watch as watch an episode or half and episode and stop it and finish it the next morning. The storylines just don't have the same impact as the ones in the first two seasons.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:12 pm

8 had my favorite characters from a design/visual perspective but its hard for anything to top the stomach dropping "oh shit"-ness of the Sephiroth fight. When he first appeared with his evil chorus in the background and the first time he dropped Supernova, all I could think was "oh crap. We're doomed."

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:27 pm

But I do kind of think 7 needs the remake more than 6 does, because the graphics somehow age worse than the old-school style ones, I think it might be harder to replay as-is.

Now this is a fair point, but 7 is going to need some additions, I think, to make the plot make better sense. Weird polygon graphics weren't it's biggest problems, in my eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by choys Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:17 pm

Keeping in mind I've been giddy at the news of the FF7 remake...

FF7 was the first Final Fantasy I ever played, and was the game that managed to get me to buy the PlayStation when it came out. I am very aware that nostalgia plays a very big part, and that there are sooooo many things that were not perfect in the game.

But, not only was it the game that sucked me into gaming in general, it's what sucked me into online fandom as well. LOL, two of my closest friendships was forged over mutual love of FF7. I have cosplayed 3-different versions of Cloud (original game, Kingdom Hearts, and Advent Children), with an eye to make a Shinra Trooper version as well. ALL the Feels, None of the Logic! XD

Honestly, what I want is the same exact game with the badass graphics they've been teasing us with since Advent Children. Now there's a movie that pandered like a boss to its fanbase.

choys

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 am

Call me crazy but I might be one of the few who actually think FF1 might be the best.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:27 am

I began with FF 2/4, so I lean more towards that one. I was one of many who got to play FF7 around the time it came out, but I wasn't wow-ed after actually playing it. Of course the Aeris scene almost made me cry, but nothing else really spoke to me.

Course I'm incredibly biased against the game because of Barett.
Fuckin' Barett...Every scene he opened his mouth in was like a slap in my face.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:10 pm

All new Dragon Age DLCs are only going to be for the newer consoles. pale
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:08 am

Hey Pete Doctor. I'm glad you are adept at working with the audience's emotions in your films.

However, when you have me bawling uncontrollably for pretty much your whole film, and it feels like you're just PLAYING ME LIKE A TOY FIDDLE, the effectiveness of your ability to do that does undermine the emotional content of your films, because it's just like being on a rollercoaster, and it really makes it hard to feel like it's genuine and coming from me.

Since I think you worked this out better in Inside Out than Up (WHY AM I SUPPOSED TO CARE ABOUT THE DOG AFTER THAT?), I am hopeful that you're going to keep getting better at this. And when you do, your films are going to be ludicrously great. And I'll just wait for that.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Less a rant, more a Side-eye : Sex Ed. Who the fuck wrote this movie? How did a film get made which
Spoiler:
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Of course the psychotic business man practices BDSM, because normal people don't do that, right?

Relatedly, I don't see the appeal of this Mr. Robot show. Seems overly grimdark, paranoid, and just weird.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:45 pm

The new Colonel Sanders weirds me the fuck out.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Conreezy wrote:The new Colonel Sanders weirds me the fuck out.
I think the guy who played him back in the 1960s and 1970s looks a bit more authentic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:13 pm

The Wisp wrote:Of course the psychotic business man practices BDSM, because normal people don't do that, right?

Relatedly, I don't see the appeal of this Mr. Robot show. Seems overly grimdark, paranoid, and just weird.

I definitely prefer USA's Dramadies like Burn Notice and Suits. On the other hand, I'm kind of digging Mr. Robot. I mean, yeah, its a bit much at times but its also borderline psychological horror. I'm having fun trying to tease out what's real and what's his updated American Psycho (or Fight Club) dream world.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:13 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:
I think the guy who played him back in the 1960s and 1970s looks a bit more authentic.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was the real Col Sanders. I was disappointed when the real Wendy (daughter of the founder) got pulled from ads to be replaced by a fake Wendy, presumably because the real deal wasn't camera-friendly (read thin) enough.
Gentleman Johnny
Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:
The Wisp wrote:Of course the psychotic business man practices BDSM, because normal people don't do that, right?

I definitely prefer USA's Dramadies like Burn Notice and Suits. On the other hand, I'm kind of digging Mr. Robot. I mean, yeah, its a bit much at times but its also borderline psychological horror. I'm having fun trying to tease out what's real and what's his updated American Psycho (or Fight Club) dream world.

I love the chan's bitching about the show. Every episode leads to complaints about how much of a normie the protag is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:19 am

Twitch chat is so bad, I guess that's what happens when you have literally thousands of people or more tuning in to watch a competitive video game like dota where people can win millions of dollars and I know the internet is generally a mean place but how do you all have the energy to keep spamming it for literally hours? What's the point of just being mean to everyone over the internet?

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:51 pm

Dammit Mad Max comics! Four issues you sucked me in, four stories, an every one of them took a shit on the amazing movie they're based on. I get the writer on the comics was one of the developers of the movie but it was in development for 15 years. Maybe you should have watched the finished product before:
1. Making Joe a semi-sympathetic bad guy, the scrappy gang leaer fighting against all odds, making the hard choices so his people can live.
2. Dedicating half an issue to Nux as a toddler. Really, he didn't do anything interesting between age 5 and the movie?
3. The Furiosa issue. The motherfucking, rapelicious Furiosa issue where she pulls all the BS action hero tropes, has, and this is no shit, an anti-abortion wheel of morality segment, tells the wives how good they have it and the wives have every last shred of agency stripped out.
4. OK, aside from shamelessly retreading Thunderdome, the Max issues weren't too bad, right up until the end. But the ending was so contrived, so stupid, so lacking that it sets up a really weak redemption arc in the movie.

If you've got $20 and two hours to kill, don't buy the comics. Take a friend to see the movie again.

Last edited by Gentleman Johnny on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Rokushiki Robin. Make it happen, Oda.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:17 am

BasedBuzzed wrote:Rokushiki Robin. Make it happen, Oda.

Oda hasn't ever given Robin a 1v1 intense battle, the Skypeia one doesn't count since its was one sided. That's literally over a decade ago. Brook hasn't gotten a time to shine either. Also Oda, its been 17 years, I think its time to tell us where devil fruits come from, how they work and why you can't eat two of them.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Doctor Vegapunk, when
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:43 am

Why, exactly, is Netflix making a Wet Hot American Summer show? I know the movie has a cult following, but only because it is so bad it's good, and then only for some people. Trying to the "so bad it's good" thing intentionally almost never works out. If they try to just make it a straight-up good comedy, then I'd rather they just do something original.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Ohhhhh Vault Dweller, how I love thee. Your cute little Pip Boy type people do an amazing job of hiding the crushing oppressive atmosphere of the game. Hey you! You're strong! Go work in the power plant. . .24/7. . .FOREVER!

But my real rant is pregnancy. See, there are two ways to get more dwellers for your vault. They can wander in from outside or you can have babies. You put a male and a female dweller in he dorms and eventually they sneak in the back and the woman comes back pregnant. The higher their combined Charisma stat, the quicker it happens. You even keep track of mothers/fathers and brothers/sisters to keep incest from happening. Its cute. . .at first. Its also where the dystopian environment really peeks through.

See, new rooms unlock based on your population. There are also challenges around having x pregnant dwellers or delivering x babies. So, ok, I need a bunch of new dwellers all of a sudden! What's the best way to deal with this without taking away too much production? Easy, you take your highest Charisma guy, put him in your best charisma boosting gear and put him in the dorm. Then you send every woman in the vault up there one at a time. Next time I need to do it, I send the second most charismatic because I know he's not related to any of the (now grown up a day later) second generation.

"Male Dweller Number 7, you have been selected for the breeding program. Please report to Dorm 1 for your compulsory donation of genetic material. All female dwellers, please double check your breeding number and report to the dorm when called for."

How about instead I just have a birth control. . .control for their water supply? Turn it off and kids start to trickle in.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum