NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 4 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by waxingjaney Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:42 pm

Mass telefrag? That would be, um, interesting (especially if it wiped out your character stats).
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:56 pm

eselle28 wrote:Oh, World of Warcraft. You've been at this for over a decade now. I think you might have predicted that both lots of people would log on at the same time and that a single entry point to a new zone might get a tad crowded.

Having been a long time since I was actually playing WoW on an expansion release date, I had completely forgotten about how crazy these things get. Now I'm kind of glad that my server was full and the 30-minute queue made me just say "screw it" and go do something else. Maybe I should just wait a week for things to settle down.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:32 am

Yes, TV show, a female character who sleeps around must obviously be using it to cope with PTSD. The psychologist said "nothing good can come of [sleeping around]"... wow.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:01 pm

The Wisp wrote:Yes, TV show, a female character who sleeps around must obviously be using it to cope with PTSD. The psychologist said "nothing good can come of [sleeping around]"... wow.

The thing is there are contexts where those kinds of statements would make some sense. If the character does not actually have a very high sex drive or otherwise want to sleep around, and is doing it compulsively instead of as a lifestyle choice, there might be a psychological problem at the root. If she's coping with PTSD by compulsively engaging in a behavior that can be risky, that is probably not a good thing.

But I can easily believe the show utterly failed to satisfy those conditions or provide non-sexist justification for these events.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:55 am

nearly_takuan wrote:
The Wisp wrote:Yes, TV show, a female character who sleeps around must obviously be using it to cope with PTSD. The psychologist said "nothing good can come of [sleeping around]"... wow.

The thing is there are contexts where those kinds of statements would make some sense. If the character does not actually have a very high sex drive or otherwise want to sleep around, and is doing it compulsively instead of as a lifestyle choice, there might be a psychological problem at the root. If she's coping with PTSD by compulsively engaging in a behavior that can be risky, that is probably not a good thing.

But I can easily believe the show utterly failed to satisfy those conditions or provide non-sexist justification for these events.

Sure, I thought of that, but you'd think that promiscuity was just inherently equivalent to her becoming alcoholic based on the way the show framed it IMO. The therapist didn't ask her if would want that or not, for instance. A woman being promiscuous is not an option. To be honest, it seems like it's a lazy way to not offend many of the older conservative people who watch network tv while still being able to have sex scenes. I am pretty sensitive to these things though, so maybe the writers meant it in a non-sexist/non-sex-negative way, but just wrote it poorly.

Incidentally, I was exposed to another example of slut-shaming on a network TV show today, this time of a male character :\ I'm shocked, yet at the same time not surprised, at how much slut-shaming of both men and women goes on in network tv (I don't watch much tv on my own, but my mom does, so it's in the background when I'm on my laptop). This is why I've always been baffled at people who buy into the simple narrative that promiscuous men are lauded as "studs" as opposed to shamed.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:14 am

I've seen this episode of The Flash before, except it was some other show.

How come almost every media depiction of bullying makes it seem like it's always entirely about the violence? Not that it isn't ever, but not every bully is a physically intimidating muscle-head, even in grade school....
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:23 pm

*grumbles*

Finding out that one of my favorite comedians, who looked like he did things the right way all his career, is just another man who sexually assaults.

*sigh*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:44 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:*grumbles*

Finding out that one of my favorite comedians, who looked like he did things the right way all his career, is just another man who sexually assaults.

*sigh*

Cosigned. :-/ Been a rough week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:02 pm

There's a trailer for a remake of Cinderella by Disney.

I wonder how that movie is going to end.

Also, I despise most of the outdated traditional gender horseshit that are the Disney princess movies. I'm leaving Sleeping Beauty out of it because that one almost comes off like a satire of princess movies.

I do like The Emperor's New Groove, though, so I'm not completely hopeless.

I'm also really mad at DC right now because of how bad The Flash is (I'm seriously biased against the CW for casting supermodels instead of actors in every fucking show apart from Supernatural). I'm mad because Batman Vs. Superman looks like a really blatant ripoff of The Dark Knight Returns. I'm mad because they're only making Suicide Squad so they can get Lex Luthor and the Joker in the same movie. At least the dude who made End of Watch and Fury is directing that, hopefully he'll get creative control.

I'm also massively pissed that Interstellar was so mediocre. Comparing Nolan to Spielberg, this is like his Hook, it's got really interesting ideas fucked up by a bunch of emotional hooey and logic flaws. Love transcends the laws of physics? Fuck you. At least the acting and visual effects were good.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:20 pm

You'er a great game DA:I, you really are. Can you do something about those audio glitches? I realize it's my fault for getting the PS4 version rather than the PC one, but console players need patches too.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by celette482 Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:37 pm

I've seen the live action Cinderella. It was called Ever After and is friggin' amazing.
celette482
celette482

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Is Ariana Grande supposed to be sexy or a 6th grader? It weirds me out that she's constantly presented as both

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:24 pm

Glides wrote:There's a trailer for a remake of Cinderella by Disney.

I wonder how that movie is going to end.

Also, I despise most of the outdated traditional gender horseshit that are the Disney princess movies. I'm leaving Sleeping Beauty out of it because that one almost comes off like a satire of princess movies.

Heh, yep.

I do like The Emperor's New Groove, though, so I'm not completely hopeless.

Have you watched Treasure Planet? It's sadly one of the more underrated movies.

I'm also really mad at DC right now because of how bad The Flash is (I'm seriously biased against the CW for casting supermodels instead of actors in every fucking show apart from Supernatural).

I didn't get a good impression of it from watching the trailer itself. It's the same reason I haven't taken a liking to Arrow.

Love transcends the laws of physics? Fuck you.

Lol, well said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiffo Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:59 pm

My entertainment rant is that I really don't like the trend of splitting stories into two parts (for two movies). I mean, sometimes it's going to be unavoidable, like how they wanted to make each Harry Potter book into a movie, and the books just kept getting bigger and bigger. But now it's everywhere! Twilight 3 part 1 and 2, Mockingjay Part 1, and who knows what else.

Even Marvel is getting up to it with their upcoming Avengers: Infinity War: Part 1 (I think that's when the Avengers go to Namek to fight Thanos. In that one he kills Krillin (oops! spoiler!))
Spiffo
Spiffo

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:32 am

Dragon Age: Inquisition has, I think, done really well with Dorian's homosexuality and Krem's transgender identity. I don't care if it's pandering; it's good pandering.

But then there's the conversation in the "Call Me Imshael" quest. Target of personal ire acquired.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:22 pm

One day media will learn to show women characters who are supposed to be fresh faced and makeup free without visible makeup. And it is not because of the cameras because they manage to apply stage makeup to men without making it look like they are wearing makeup. Examples:

Every woman in this picture is wearing visible powder, blush, mascara, eyebrow pencil and lip color.
[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 4 Ob2_ep203_d3_00522

Mascara, powder, blush, gloss
[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 4 Walking-dead-maggie-greene-wallpapers-6

Foundation, powder, blush, mascara, eyebrow pencil, shadow, eyeliner, lip gloss
[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 4 American-horror-story-asylum-lily-rabe-shot
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:34 pm

reboot wrote:One day media will learn to show women characters who are supposed to be fresh faced and makeup free without visible makeup.

At my house we joke every TWD episode about how it's the zombie apocalypse, resources are scarce, and 90% of everything looks a hot and dirty mess, but the female characters still manage to have luxurious tresses and take time to apply the makeup.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:36 pm

caliseivy wrote:
reboot wrote:One day media will learn to show women characters who are supposed to be fresh faced and makeup free without visible makeup.

At my house we joke every TWD episode about how it's the zombie apocalypse, resources are scarce, and 90% of everything looks a hot and dirty mess, but the female characters still manage to have luxurious tresses and take time to apply the makeup.

Seriously. How much conditioner are those folks toting? And how do they power the hair dryer and smoothing iron? You are trooping through some seriously humid territory and no frizz?
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:43 pm

reboot wrote:

Seriously. How much conditioner are those folks toting? And how do they power the hair dryer and smoothing iron? You are trooping through some seriously humid territory and no frizz?

All the resources we have now and I still can't get my hair that nice Side-eye
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:33 pm

caliseivy wrote:
reboot wrote:

Me either! And what is up with the perfectly sculpted eyebrows! Zombies coming, but can someone thread me?
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:04 pm

reboot wrote:
caliseivy wrote:
reboot wrote:

Me either! And what is up with the perfectly sculpted eyebrows! Zombies coming, but can someone thread me?

I think Michonne handles that. It's good practice.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm tired of companies releasing AAA games that are unfinished from a technical perspective and then patching them over the ensuing months after release. Assassin's Creed: Unity, the Sim City reboot, Total War: Rome 2, to name the most prominent. I would have bought and enjoyed these games if they were finished, but now I'm skeptical even though most of the issues have been patched away or will be patched away.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Sometimes, I find that someone else has already written my rant for me. Smile
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:18 am

nearly_takuan wrote:Sometimes, I find that someone else has already written my rant for me. Smile

I particularly liked this:

"Over the years I’ve come to understand — in the Western world, the more I am read as Asian, the more I will be hated and outcast. The more I embrace the erasing of my identity, my invisibility, the more successful and accepted I will become."

Because oftentimes, that is what 'acculturation' means.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:59 am

We made the police chief be a gay guy on a diet. Have We Mentioned We Are Progressive Today?

Haha, isn't petty theft funny when The Flash does it?

"Stop ruining Iris' love life" *flirts shamelessly* Yeah, Barry's apparently kind of a jerkass even when Prism isn't messing with him.

"We're here because I found traces of rust on a boomerang. I know it's a long shot, but I think there might be rust somewhere in this city too."

(It's amazing how many writing mistakes could have been avoided if the screenwriters looked up the words they're using on Wikipedia; "magnetite" would have actually been more precise and believable in this context.)

What was the point of putting the boomerang in a sealed plastic bag if everyone's just going to touch it with their bare hands?

"His name is Roy G. Bivolo" was a missed opportunity for Barry to say, "seriously?!" Why does everyone in this scene have a straight face?

"It is so nice that this episode passes the Bechdel Test." "I know."
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum