NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 5 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by reboot Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:22 pm

One day media will learn to show women characters who are supposed to be fresh faced and makeup free without visible makeup. And it is not because of the cameras because they manage to apply stage makeup to men without making it look like they are wearing makeup. Examples:

Every woman in this picture is wearing visible powder, blush, mascara, eyebrow pencil and lip color.
[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 5 Ob2_ep203_d3_00522

Mascara, powder, blush, gloss
[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 5 Walking-dead-maggie-greene-wallpapers-6

Foundation, powder, blush, mascara, eyebrow pencil, shadow, eyeliner, lip gloss
[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 5 American-horror-story-asylum-lily-rabe-shot
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:34 pm

reboot wrote:One day media will learn to show women characters who are supposed to be fresh faced and makeup free without visible makeup.

At my house we joke every TWD episode about how it's the zombie apocalypse, resources are scarce, and 90% of everything looks a hot and dirty mess, but the female characters still manage to have luxurious tresses and take time to apply the makeup.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:36 pm

caliseivy wrote:
reboot wrote:One day media will learn to show women characters who are supposed to be fresh faced and makeup free without visible makeup.

At my house we joke every TWD episode about how it's the zombie apocalypse, resources are scarce, and 90% of everything looks a hot and dirty mess, but the female characters still manage to have luxurious tresses and take time to apply the makeup.

Seriously. How much conditioner are those folks toting? And how do they power the hair dryer and smoothing iron? You are trooping through some seriously humid territory and no frizz?
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:43 pm

reboot wrote:

Seriously. How much conditioner are those folks toting? And how do they power the hair dryer and smoothing iron? You are trooping through some seriously humid territory and no frizz?

All the resources we have now and I still can't get my hair that nice Side-eye
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:33 pm

caliseivy wrote:
reboot wrote:

Me either! And what is up with the perfectly sculpted eyebrows! Zombies coming, but can someone thread me?
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:04 pm

reboot wrote:
caliseivy wrote:
reboot wrote:

Me either! And what is up with the perfectly sculpted eyebrows! Zombies coming, but can someone thread me?

I think Michonne handles that. It's good practice.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm tired of companies releasing AAA games that are unfinished from a technical perspective and then patching them over the ensuing months after release. Assassin's Creed: Unity, the Sim City reboot, Total War: Rome 2, to name the most prominent. I would have bought and enjoyed these games if they were finished, but now I'm skeptical even though most of the issues have been patched away or will be patched away.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Sometimes, I find that someone else has already written my rant for me. Smile
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:18 am

nearly_takuan wrote:Sometimes, I find that someone else has already written my rant for me. Smile

I particularly liked this:

"Over the years I’ve come to understand — in the Western world, the more I am read as Asian, the more I will be hated and outcast. The more I embrace the erasing of my identity, my invisibility, the more successful and accepted I will become."

Because oftentimes, that is what 'acculturation' means.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:59 am

We made the police chief be a gay guy on a diet. Have We Mentioned We Are Progressive Today?

Haha, isn't petty theft funny when The Flash does it?

"Stop ruining Iris' love life" *flirts shamelessly* Yeah, Barry's apparently kind of a jerkass even when Prism isn't messing with him.

"We're here because I found traces of rust on a boomerang. I know it's a long shot, but I think there might be rust somewhere in this city too."

(It's amazing how many writing mistakes could have been avoided if the screenwriters looked up the words they're using on Wikipedia; "magnetite" would have actually been more precise and believable in this context.)

What was the point of putting the boomerang in a sealed plastic bag if everyone's just going to touch it with their bare hands?

"His name is Roy G. Bivolo" was a missed opportunity for Barry to say, "seriously?!" Why does everyone in this scene have a straight face?

"It is so nice that this episode passes the Bechdel Test." "I know."
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:34 am

nearly_takuan wrote:

"It is so nice that this episode passes the Bechdel Test." "I know."

This reminds me of a microplay which I wrote once. It went like this:

Woman: Does this play pass the Bechdel test?
Alison Bechdel: Yes.

FIN.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:56 am

The actual line was "it's so nice to finally have another woman to talk to". Which is an acknowledgement of a problem with Flash and Arrow but not a promise to actually do anything about it.

Previously, on Arrow: Ollie's life is literally saved by a Japanese family in Hong Kong; he repeatedly calls them Chinese despite their quiet corrections. They don't press the issue beyond that. This has so much truth in it, yet I worry it's too subtle for the people who actually need to see that happening.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:17 pm

The Magicians by Lev Grossman had a blatant rip-off of Narnia under the guise of "de-constructing" its tropes, even introducing "Fillory" through an in-novel book series of four children protagonists (2 boys, 2 girls.) The 1st book (SPOILERS) casually tosses out the bombshell that the author of this series was a pedophile.

Third book opens with a quote from CS Lewis.

.... Are you freaking kidding me? Tell ya what, let me write a story in which a boy with a scar discovers he has magical ninja powers and goes to a special assassin's academy, just like his literary idol Terry Otter, to then discover the author of his favorite childhood story is a talentless hack who can't write and steals all of their story ideas from orphans. Then I'll open my sequel with Dumbledore's quote about adventure! Har har I am so very cutting and brilliant!
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:18 am

Is this a Rant or a Joy or a Random Thought? It's kind of all of them but I'm putting it here.

There are very, very few characters I've cared about anywhere near as much as I cared about Tadashi Hamada. Because he looks like me? I don't have a better explanation.

Ellie and Carl of Up do come close for me, so I suppose I can also give Disney/Pixar some credit for just being really good at efficiently making audiences invest in their characters. (I'm looking forward to Inside Out now.) But I can't help feeling like race was a significant piece of it, too.

It's actually kind of disturbing, partly because it highlights how rarely Japanese-American males get to be complete characters, but also because it reveals a lot about my own biases—

Spoilers for Big Hero 6:

So, mixed feelings. Joy at finally getting to experience lacrimation in a movie theater. Guilt about the cognitive biases and emotional blockages that prevent me from doing the same for other races of characters. Annoyance that it took this long for something to end what now seems like a fairly extreme erasure. More annoyance that, while it was on my radar, I didn't expect it to make as much of a difference to me as it did. More guilt about the fact that there are still so many other groups that lack this kind of representation. Hope that there will be more to come.

I read blog posts and reviews and heard from friends and relatives about the film prior to seeing it (the only thing that mattered was thankfully not spoiled for me). I walked in expecting to be impressed. Holy shit, I was impressed.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 am

nearly_takuan wrote:(I'm looking forward to Inside Out now.)

Meh.
http://thesocialcomplex.tumblr.com/post/57878449629/more-height-stereotypes-in-childrens-movies

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:26 am

Oh, ew. Never mind, then. Somehow I missed that.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:01 pm

Rant: I am tired of hearing about the Fifty Shades movie. I made my first attempt at reading some of this book and holy sh*t I'm done. Like, stick a fork in me and take me out of the oven, this book is terrible. I just finished reading a book that handled the idea of bdsm and D/s relationships much, MUCH better. I mean, the fact that the author straight up said she was taking a vanilla person and thrusting them into bdsm without a preference for it is pretty awful on its own, LET ALONE that she "doesn't really get it" and "people who like this are reading it for the love story, not the bdsm".

Eugh.
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:06 am

This article is so true, and it makes me sad Sad 

I'll probably like some of the moves in those giant lists of sequels, and maybe even look forward to a few, but the totality of the situation is sad.

I found this bit funny, though: 

This summer, Disney announced The Avengers 3 and The Avengers 4. They will be called Infinity War Part 1 and Infinity War Part 2. Suddenly, the stakes for Avengers 2 (which is merely called Age of Ultron) feel lower. How could they not, when we know the freaking Infinity Wars are coming?
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Just remember in Avengers 2 that this is Joss Whedon. Any character that you love who doesn't have a sequel in the lineup is subject to be killed suddenly and without warning. I feel like what we're really seeing is the much predicted media convergence. With streaming, TV ratings are at an all time low. Pay cable shows have an epic movie feel and big budget movies are copying the serialized format. Meanwhile, low budget movies are better positioned than ever to be breakout hits. Cult movies like Blade Runner and Nightbreed would be niche but insanely successful relative to their cost today.

I also feel like the author missed a big point by splitting movies into franchise money makers and movies that the producers dream of making. The Marvel series at least is both. Yes, Marvel movies are a huge interlocking franchise that makes the studio enough money to buy gold plated yachts to sink with blocks of platinum shot from their trebuchet (you know studio execs do this) but they're also the movies that the talent and the audience have wanted for years.

On the other side, Warner and its non-movie CEO are making movies to extend the brand for the sake of extending the brand and they're collapsing. I really got a whole tone from this article that's classic old Hollywood, that the public is too stupid to know a good movie when they see it, so they just pay for whatever tripe gets hyped. He forgets all the Daredevils and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Givers lying beside the road in smoldering heaps of franchises-that-weren't.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:Just remember in Avengers 2 that this is Joss Whedon. Any character that you love who doesn't have a sequel in the lineup is subject to be killed suddenly and without warning. I feel like what we're really seeing is the much predicted media convergence. With streaming, TV ratings are at an all time low. Pay cable shows have an epic movie feel and big budget movies are copying the serialized format. Meanwhile, low budget movies are better positioned than ever to be breakout hits. Cult movies like Blade Runner and Nightbreed would be niche but insanely successful relative to their cost today.

I also feel like the author missed a big point by splitting movies into franchise money makers and movies that the producers dream of making. The Marvel series at least is both. Yes, Marvel movies are a huge interlocking franchise that makes the studio enough money to buy gold plated yachts to sink with blocks of platinum shot from their trebuchet (you know studio execs do this) but they're also the movies that the talent and the audience have wanted for years.

On the other side, Warner and its non-movie CEO are making movies to extend the brand for the sake of extending the brand and they're collapsing. I really got a whole tone from this article that's classic old Hollywood, that the public is too stupid to know a good movie when they see it, so they just pay for whatever tripe gets hyped. He forgets all the Daredevils and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Givers lying beside the road in smoldering heaps of franchises-that-weren't.

I agree he was a bit condescending. I don't necessarily have a problem with the Marvel (and now Star Wars and DC Comics) model, I just have a problem with there being nothing original to balance it out with.

Actually, it was less the comic-book movies that made me groan, but the "other sequels" list. Do we really need Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2? Ice Age 5? Avatar 2, 3, AND 4? Could better movies have been made by the same talent pool? Would they have made any less money?

I think what we're losing is the ambitious and original mid-to-high budget film. Unless your name is Christopher Nolan, no studio is going to give you a meaningful budget to do risky, experimental, original work.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:47 pm

I think Marvel's advance planning model is fairly new, but I think it's worth noting that we've previously had the equivalents to Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 and Ice Age 5 and Avatar 2-4. When studios saw that people liked to watch Shirley Temple dancing or Errol Flynn swashbuckling or Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy antagonistically flirting, they tended to capitalize on it by making more movies with the same actors and very similar plots. They changed the characters' names and some of the details, but there wasn't vastly more original content. What people tend to think of when they criticize sequels is a fairly brief period around the 70s, but I'm not sure that's the natural state of film production.

I do think that the ambitious and original mid-to-high budget film is disappearing, though. I think television is a huge part of the problem. Movies are expensive, and I think we may see theaters leaning strongly toward films with special effects that look their best in that environment. It seems like a lot of the character-centered pieces are moving to TV.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:54 pm

I think that's more a matter of perspective than something genuinely true because the mega-franchises take up so much brain real estate. The last two years gave us Lucy, Snowpiercer, Europa Report, Ender's Game, Divergent, The Giver and Jupiter Ascending and that's just off the top of my head. Sure a lot of them are proto-franchises but there are plenty of original pieces, too.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:I think that's more a matter of perspective than something genuinely true because the mega-franchises take up so much brain real estate. The last two years gave us Lucy, Snowpiercer, Europa Report, Ender's Game, Divergent, The Giver and Jupiter Ascending and that's just off the top of my head. Sure a lot of them are proto-franchises but there are plenty of original pieces, too.

Ah, that's fair, and the first two are particularly good examples because Lucy was a huge hit and Snowpiercer was a successful movie that probably could have been a huge hit if its distributor had supported it at release. I do think there will still be considerable migration of more experimental and character-focused pieces to television, though I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. It's possible that some of the conventions about the length of a piece for each of the mediums are simply outdated, and that there will be even ore of the convergence you mentioned earlier. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the TV (or streaming exclusive) movie makes a comeback in the next few years. We're already seeing the return of the miniseries (which I'm grateful for, because there are too many shows that try to stretch 8 hours of story into 23 episodes).
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:19 am

**Spoilers for the recent Hunger Games movie**

This isn't a rant per se, but I don't think it deserved it's own thread, so whatever.

I just saw Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt. 1. I thought it was an enjoyable movie, and it definitely gave an excellent portrayal what a revolution and civil war in a world with mass media and fire bombs would look like. That said -- and with the full disclosure that I haven't read the books (so, I don't know what's going to happen, don't spoil it!) -- I felt like the movie was grey vs. grey, even though I think I was supposed to feel like the movie was black vs. white (or dark grey vs. light grey, at least). At some points, I was actually somewhat sympathetic to the government's position. I think their points about law and order were valid (especially given that, IIRC, the districts were in prolonged civil war before Snow took over). I also initially took their point about peace, even though they are at least culpable for half the damages, but ultimately I don't think it's an argument in their favor as they didn't have to be so brutal. Also, while we're clearly supposed to sympathize more with the districts, the districts (in the movies, at least) seem to be relatively low-population rural ares (district 12 is only like 10,000 people, right?), while the population of the people in the capital seems to dwarf the districts' combined populations, and the capital's population seems to be pro-Snow and doing well under him economically. No sign of slums in the city, for instance.

Now, Snow is no ideal ruler. He's autocratic, sadistic, not interested in the well-being of people outside the capital, and overly brutal when he doesn't have to be (even to his own political detriment at times). At the same time, the rebel leader Coin didn't come off as that much better. Sure, she would probably be somewhat less brutal (though a rebel take over would potentially involve a persecution of a large amount of loyalist civilians), but she doesn't strike me as somebody trustworthy or as a competent peace-time administrator. Maybe that's just based on Moore's performance/direction, though.

Anyway, an enjoyable movie, but I'm not sure it made me feel the things it wanted me to feel.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:00 pm

I think that may be one of those "hazards of splitting one book into two movies" things - the payoffs / explanation / closure / non-closure for those things will come in the next movie, which leave them kind of hanging weirdly at the end of the first part. (Full disclosure: I haven't seen the movie yet)
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum