NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disqus on DNL Prime

4 posters

Go down

Disqus on DNL Prime Empty Disqus on DNL Prime

Post by Enail Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:58 pm

The DNL blog has switched from the old IntenseDebate commenting system to Disqus, and there's been quite a lot of discussion as people discover new and different functions, which are bound to get lost once the article they're on is no longer current so I thought it would be useful to compile them all together here in case anyone missed the original discussion or wants to refer to it later on.

I've tried to include everything discussed so far. If you have any additions, please post them below, and I'll add them into this first post for reference.

<mod> Everyone, please be mindful of the fact that the Nerdlounge forum is separate from the DNL blog (Prime), and it is against forum rules to bring interactions from DNL Prime over here, or to use the forum discuss community norms or specific posters from DNL Prime. This thread is solely for discussing the tools and functions of the Disqus commenting system as set up on DNL Prime; please keep it to that topic only.  Thanks! <mod>

The Doctornerdlove.com Disqus comment system

Sorting

• At the top of the comments section, there's a drop-down menu that allows sorting by Newest first, Oldest first, or Best first (presumably based on number of upvotes)

• Unfortunately, the sorting only takes the first post in a thread into account, not the replies to it, and there is no way to sort so that the thread with the most recent replies comes first.

Voting and reputation

• The number of upvotes on a comment is visible, the number of downvotes is not.

• If you hover over the upvote arrow, you can see a list of the upvoters.

• All downvoting is anonymous, and downvotes only affect a user's total reputation, they do not show up on the comment which was downvoted.

• Only registered users can vote on comments.

• Once you've voted on a comment, the upvote arrow will be coloured blue/the downvote arrow will be coloured red. You can remove your vote by clicking on the coloured arrow, or switch your vote by clicking on the other arrow.

• You can view a user's reputation in their profile, by clicking on their name.

Threading and responses

• The new system allows fewer levels of embedding than the previous system. Replies to a comment on the deepest level will appear on the same level.

• Beside the name of the author of the current comment, an arrow points to the name of the user being replied to. 
         -Hover over the name of the user being replied to, to see the first words of the post being replied to.
         -Clicking on the arrow between the current comment's author and that of the person being replied to, causes a yellow bar beside the comment being replied to, and jumps you directly to that comment if not currently on-screen. There's no way to automatically jump back, though.

• If you click the minus sign at the top right of a comment, it collapses that comment and any replies to it.

Gifs!

• You can post gifs! Click the little icon on the bottom left of the comment pane to upload a file from your computer, or paste the url into the comment and a thumbnail labelled "media attachment" will appear, and when you hit post, lo! A gif will be there!

• All attachments must be under 2MB.

• Posts with links or images automatically go into moderation.

• If you don't want to view images automatically, you can disable them! At the top of the comment section, your name appears beside a speech bubble icon. Click on your name there to open a dropdown menu with the option "hide media."

Recent comments

• Although there's no way to sort for recent comments, there are a few tools that alert you to new comments that come in while you're on the page:
          -a grey bar will appear at the top or bottom of your screen saying "X new comments above/below." If you click on it, it will jump you to the next new comment above/below. If you scroll, it will disappear when you've scrolled to the new comment.
          -posts with new replies will be marked with a blue dot and the number of new replies.
         -both these functions seem to be somewhat unreliable, however.

• You can set your Disqus profile to give notifications for new replies to your comments. The number of your unviewed notifications will appear in the speech bubble next to your name at the top of the comment section, and the notifications will display if you click on it. You can also view your profile by clicking your name in any post.

Last edited by Enail on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Disqus on DNL Prime Empty Re: Disqus on DNL Prime

Post by Wondering Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Is there any way to tell how many replies a base comment has? I don't like that a) all the replies are expanded automatically, and b) you have no way of knowing how long a comment-reply thread is. If I start reading a comment-reply thread, I like to have an idea whether I'm investing in 20 comments or 200, you know?

It's just so cluttered. Bleh.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:43 am

Aw what? Seriously?!? Just when I made an IntenseDebate account. Headsmack Disapproving

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Wondering wrote:Is there any way to tell how many replies a base comment has? I don't like that a) all the replies are expanded automatically, and b) you have no way of knowing how long a comment-reply thread is. If I start reading a comment-reply thread, I like to have an idea whether I'm investing in 20 comments or 200, you know?

It's just so cluttered. Bleh.

Yeah, I would love that. I'm not finding anything, though. Sad
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Enail wrote:Yeah, I would love that. I'm not finding anything, though. Sad

On the plus side, now you can easily tell who's also posting at Return of Kings and give them a wide berth.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:58 pm

I looked but couldn't find the allowable length of a user's name.  

Could you please tell me?  I'd like a Disqus account for use on The Guardian -- but don't know that I necessarily want to repeat this one over there.

Thanks!
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:05 pm

Uh, just to clarify, I've just compiled everything people discovered during the discussion on the "Building A Closer Friendship..." article on the DNL blog, I don't actually have any further knowledge about Disqus!

And I'm not finding anything on the Disqus site about character limits for either username or display name, so I'm afraid I can't be much help. Sorry!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:50 am

Enail wrote:
And I'm not finding anything on the Disqus site about character limits for either username or display name, so I'm afraid I can't be much help. Sorry!

That's fine  -- at least there wasn't an obvious answer hiding in plain sight.  I've been gazing at some of the baroque names on Jezebel, such as "Moriarty's Ringtone is a salty biscuit" and was mildly tempted.

Thanks for both looking and responding -- have a good day:)
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:51 pm

That does sound tempting! Shiny/thrilled
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:44 pm

A few things that came up yesterday regarding DNL's redesign of the site:

The recent comments are now at the bottom of the page, after the comments, on the left.

Also, if you click the time stamp in the recent comments, "1 hour ago" or whatever it might be, that will take you directly to the comment in question. Clicking the article title takes you to the article. And clicking the poster's name takes you to their profile.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:39 am

Anyone else having trouble with DNL prime timing out (the 504 gateway access time out) the last couple days? I thought it was something with my interwebs, but I get it at work, too, off and on.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:13 am

I'm having that problem this morning. I hadn't had it before now.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:39 am

I haven't tried it this morning, but I had it all last night.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum