NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berserk

+5
Izmuth
Hirundo Bos
Prajnaparamita
litterature
Student
9 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Berserk Empty Berserk

Post by Werel Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:21 pm

So next month marks the start of the new Berserk anime. It'll be the first TV adaptation of the Berserk manga in about 20 years, and I am pretty daggone excited. If you already love Berserk, this is a thread for screaming into your computer about how stoked you are. If you have never seen/read Berserk, this is where I try to convince you to catch up to where the new series starts so we can all talk about how great the new show is (I hope).

Berserk Emot-siren WARNING WARNING WARNING Berserk Emot-siren

THIS SERIES IS SUPER GRAPHIC! If you prefer not to see/can't stomach explicit depictions of very terrible things, TURN BACK! There is sexual violence and murders of children and demons eating people and things like that, plus it's about medieval warfare! THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

BUT: none of the graphic stuff is the point of the series, and it is not shock-genre schlock that's just about making the reader go "ewww." If you can handle gore for the sake of a good story, COME WITH ME ON A JOURNEY TO THE KINGDOM OF MIDLAND

Berserk Berserk-golden-age-arc-i-egg-of-the-supreme-ruler-51e90244be152

The gist: a lone swordsman in a pseudo-medieval-Europe setting joins up with the charismatic, ambitious young leader of a mercenary band and his right-hand woman. (Obviously all three of these people are super good at swords, and you're going to see them use those swords a lot.) The initial plot arc follows the mercenary band's ascendance to greater and greater power, the costs and consequences of that power, and the grim truth that no matter how big your sword or army, humans are totally weak and useless in the face of malevolent supernatural forces unless you make some kind of Faustian deal. This series offers some gutwrenching explorations of friendship, hubris, loyalty, demons, violence, choices, death, and the way Japanese people see Europeans, and it is one of my favorite TV shows ever.

Also, there are scary monsters, if you're into looking at intricate drawings of scary monsters.

Berserk HQOGCxY

There are currently three main ways to consume Berserk. It's a big franchise (the manga has been running since 1988, we're on volume 37), so you might not be sure where to start. Here are the options:

• The 1997 anime: Kenpū Denki Beruseruku is a real fun phrase to say, and also my most recommended introduction to the series. It's a 25-episode run that covers the first major plot arc in the series (the "Golden Age" arc, roughly volumes 1-14 of the manga); this is also IMHO the best and most important part of the story. The animation is late-90s-looking but generally pretty good, the soundtrack is amazing, and the pacing is tight. I am very very fond of this anime. There are some episodes on YouTube, but I dunno if the full run is there.
  • The manga: If you prefer reading to watching, or you want the complete Berserk experience, including all the little details that got cut from the anime, this is the way to go. The art is not bad from the beginning, but it gets really really really good by about volume 10. The soundtrack to the '97 show is a good thing to listen to if you like a little ambiance while you read.
  • The 2012-2013 movie trilogy: I can't really say much about these because I didn't finish watching them. They cover the exact same plot arc as the 1997 anime, so I'm not sure what the point of the movies is. Friends who watched 'em said they were bad and not worth the time, but I am open to having my mind changed; did anybody see them and like them?

The new show will cover the events immediately after the Golden Age arc ends, so if you want to join in watching that, get caught up to volume 14/the end of the old anime/all three of the movies.

Berserk XkO9j.gif.64d0b6ddfdef4b074a0404d6ec104ca2.thumb.gif.74e384f7cf452e153f95f90290d4de40
"AAAHH WHAT IF THE NEW SHOW IS BAD"

There's also a new video game in the works; there have been a few lukewarm Berserk games in the past, and the Demons/Dark Souls series is essentially Berserk: the Game, but maybe this one will be the legit Berserk game we've been waiting for. Here's the trailer, with SUPER SPOILERS (end of Golden Age arc), and SUPER NSFW CONTENT:

Spoiler:

ROLL CALL! You gonna watch the new show? Favorite characters/moments/themes? Think the new game will be good? Think the manga is ever, ever going to resolve this plot arc it's been stuck in since like 2010? Think the new show will include your particular favorite people/events? Curious about this franchise but have questions? BERSERK CHAT TIME.

Last edited by Werel on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Berserk Empty Re: Berserk

Post by Enail Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Bandwagon, here I come! Run in circles flail

Manga Ch. 1-2:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:40 pm

YAAAAAAAAAYYY Shiny/thrilled

Manga chapters 1-2:
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:36 pm

What site are you reading on, Werel? I'm not particularly impressed with the site I'm on, so I'd switch for easier discussion.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:48 pm

...the box of physical Berserks in my room Uh-oh

I was looking at mangapanda, but their translations are kinda crappy too (are you getting the bad-English Comic Sans ones?). Mymanga.me looks like they might have the actual translated scans.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Okay, thanks, I'll try there l(Mymanga.me, not the box in your room Razz)
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Student Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:29 am

Enail I'd let you borrow my own box of officially translated Berserk, but alas I suspect we live on different continents... Razz

Student

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:05 am

Aight, I'm gonna start the Berserk anime at some point over the next few days (I may have just fried my brain watching 20ish episodes of JoJo in 24 hours). I may or may not go episode by episode, we'll see. If I don't comment on something specific and you want to know just ask. Depending on how graphic or how that's handled I mayyy not totally stick with it, but we'll see. I think I've already heard of the worst thing or two that happens in it so I might already be properly steeled.

Werel, I have a mission for you. Synch up the start of the anime with wherever it starts in the manga so I know when to start reading Enail's stuff Surprised
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:47 am

Student wrote:Enail I'd let you borrow my own box of officially translated Berserk, but alas I suspect we live on different continents... Razz

Awesome, just let me know when you invent a teleporter!  Grin

bomaye wrote: (I may have just fried my brain watching 20ish episodes of JoJo in 24 hours).

Surprised From what little I know of JoJo, I think your brain's gone for good, sorry.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:16 pm

bomaye wrote:Werel, I have a mission for you. Synch up the start of the anime with wherever it starts in the manga so I know when to start reading Enail's stuff Surprised
Shiny/thrilled Shiny/thrilled Shiny/thrilled

Once she finishes volume 3, she'll be about at the end of the first anime episode. There's some stuff in manga volumes 1-2 that's cut out of the anime, but none of it's crucial. Uhhh here's a rough rubric for the first few, they don't correspond perfectly but I'm putting the boundaries at the big plot points:

Episode 1 = Volumes 1-3
Episodes 2-3 = Volume 4
Episodes 4 = Volume 3 + Volume 4  (some rearranged flashback stuff)
Episode 5-6 = Volume 5
Episode 7 = Volume 5-6
Episode 8 = Volume 6

Also, since you're watching the anime, you're in for way less graphic stuff than Enail. It might not be toooooo much for you, we'll see Wink
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:17 pm

For anyone else reading the manga, I found a better version on mangasaurus.com. (It goes by volume rather than numbering the chapters, so I'm switching my spoiler warnings to that format.)

Manga, the rest of Vol. 1 + Vol. 2-3:

AND NOW WE'RE ON TO THE GOLDEN AGE!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 pm

I've been told that the upcoming anime is a continuation of the Golden Age movies, so I imagine I'll be watching both the anime and the movies just to make sure I know whatever is happening
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 pm

Manga 1-3:

bomaye wrote:I've been told that the upcoming anime is a continuation of the Golden Age movies, so I imagine I'll be watching both the anime and the movies just to make sure I know whatever is happening
No. Stop. Don't consume extra Berserk and discuss it here. This is the opposite of what I want to happen. (Grin)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Manga 1-3:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:48 am

Berserk Episode 1 (I'm just kind of gonna be endlessly double-posting because I'm pretty much live-blog marathoning part of it and I don't want to lose too much to firefox derping or something)

Spoiler:

Last edited by bomaye on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:37 am

Episode 2

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:07 am

Episode 3

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:22 am

Episode 4

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:49 am

Episode 5

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:20 am

Berserk 6

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:51 am

Berserk 7

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:18 am

Berserk 8

Spoiler:

Aight, 1/3rd of the series should be good for now, probably do more later tonight/tomorrow morning Razz

Werel wrote:
There's also a new video game in the works; there have been a few lukewarm Berserk games in the past, and the Demons/Dark Souls series is essentially Berserk: the Game, but maybe this one will be the legit Berserk game we've been waiting for. Here's the trailer, with SUPER SPOILERS (end of Golden Age arc), and SUPER NSFW CONTENT:

BTW, if this is the Musou/Dynasty Warriors game, then it's kind of going to be top notch fan-service (not like boobs and stuff, but will pay extra special attention to detail for fans) and mindless hacking and slashing of legions of enemies (they kind of just surround you and once in awhile one or two them attack) and once in awhile large boss-type enemies. They've done adaptations of Gundam, Fist of the North Star, One Piece and Zelda using the Dynasty Warriors system before. It'll fit the large-scale battles I've seen so far in the anime but it may not be anything to write home about gameplay-wise (especially since you brought up Dark Souls)
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Holy binge-watch, bomaye, you ain't messing around rofl

ep 1-2:

ep 3-4:

ep 5-6:

ep 7-8:

Fun sequence of events coming up next. Grin

bomaye wrote:BTW, if this is the Musou/Dynasty Warriors game, then it's kind of going to be top notch fan-service (not like boobs and stuff, but will pay extra special attention to detail for fans) and mindless hacking and slashing of legions of enemies (they kind of just surround you and once in awhile one or two them attack) and once in awhile large boss-type enemies. They've done adaptations of Gundam, Fist of the North Star, One Piece and Zelda using the Dynasty Warriors system before. It'll fit the large-scale battles I've seen so far in the anime but it may not be anything to write home about gameplay-wise (especially since you brought up Dark Souls)
Huh, that's good to know. I have zero experience with Dynasty Warriors, and I've definitely been spoiled on gameplay by the Souls games, but I would... probably play it just for the fanservice. "Here is $60 to look at a fine rendering of Gatsoo's armor, many thanks" Uh-oh
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:44 pm

Yes, Forces is the Sega Genesis song <_<

Who'm I shippin?

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down