NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making friends through cosplay

3 posters

Go down

Making friends through cosplay  Empty Making friends through cosplay

Post by Gotoku 2017 Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:06 pm

I've realized I would like to try and do cosplaying as a hobby, it looks really fun and a lot of cosplayers like the same sort of stuff I do. The only thing is I'm not really sure where to start.... I do have friends who do cosplay but then tend to do it outside friend group. I'm just looking for any advice from people who do cosplay and have made friends from it.

Gotoku 2017

Back to top Go down

Making friends through cosplay  Empty Re: Making friends through cosplay

Post by Werel Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 pm

I've never done any cosplaying, but have made some costumes for other stuff, and a good place to start would probably be a basic sewing class. YMCAs and other community centers often have them, depending on where you are, and they're a pretty good way to meet people. A sewing class specifically for cosplayers would be ideal, but I have no idea if those exist-- maybe somebody who knows that community can tell you where to start. Smile
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:41 pm

This is one area where Facebook can be your friend. Try to look into whether there are any FB groups in your area of cosplayers and try to join and introduce yourself. MeetUp is also a good way to do this as well.

Many cities that host a major con, or even a small con, also have local bars which may see cosplayers and professionals showing up, so if you wanted to try the bar experience in costume sometime beyond Halloween, con season isn't a bad time. For example, the NYCC at the Javits Center in NYC always has nearly every bar within a half mile radius doing contests or whatnot around then.

Another tip: a compliment about someone's costume is always a good icebreaker in the cosplay circles. Try not to gender it (i.e. don't say, "You look so hot in that" as a crude bad example).

I cosplayed briefly, but it is a lot of fun. I would suggest trying to think of a fun pose in character that you can assume when someone asks for your picture, which they will.

I will caution that depending on how introverted or shy you are, that it can still be difficult talking to strangers even if they're dressed as Sailor Scouts or Green Lanterns. But, it's a fun circle to get into and shared hobbies make icebreaking easier. Plus, in theory, since geeks tend to know geeks they may be a little more understanding. And since it is a group activity, try to involve some of your friends who cosplay if possible too for maximum fun and ease.
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum