NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

doomscrolling addiction

2 posters

Go down

doomscrolling addiction Empty doomscrolling addiction

Post by Glides Fri May 07, 2021 7:31 am

sounds silly but i've probably got it. i'm probably spending the majority of my day looking for as much bad news as humanly possible. i'm spending more time doing that than working and it's really affecting me. i'm literally not sleeping more than a few hours each night. this was already bad but it just escalated like crazy once the pandemic hit. i'm just absorbing a planet's worth of bad news all at once. i really think this is some kind of form of indirect self-harm.

i'm not sleeping. i keep having anxiety attacks and i had the worst one last night over something innocuous. normally the only thing i have any confidence about is what the hell is wrong with me and i can't even figure that out anymore. this doesn't quite feel like only depression, even though i've got all the symptoms of that. it feels like moving mountains to work for five minutes, and then i shame myself for being a spoiled brat who doesn't have to work food service or manual labor, rinse and repeat. a million goddamn intrusive thoughts. if i don't sound quite alright it's because when you don't sleep for more than a few hours each night and stop shaving and have to physically force yourself to remember all the basic parts of being alive, there's not much left. it's a miracle i sleep at all. the planet is breaking and nobody has time to help me and i don't have the mental capacity to help anyone else.

i just don't know what to do. i'll be calm by the time someone sees this but it feels like eternity. you ever go to sleep having just calmed down from a panic attack but because it was so late you didn't take the time to REALLY calm down so when you wake up it starts all over again. hello me.

Glides

Back to top Go down

doomscrolling addiction Empty Re: doomscrolling addiction

Post by Enail Fri May 07, 2021 1:59 pm

I think it's a natural affliction given the times we live in. It feels like it's necessary to know absolutely all the awfulness that's happening any moment of the day. Have you tried one of those apps that block sites or otherwise make it harder for you to access endless news?
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum