NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crock pottery!

3 posters

Go down

Crock pottery! Empty Crock pottery!

Post by reboot Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:26 pm

On DNL prime we were singing praises to the crock pot, so I thought a place to share some recipes might be in order:

Some of my go tos:

French onion soup I use brandy, not beer

Haleem I do not blend in the end but it is good that way too

Full medames When it says simmer for 5 hours put it in crock pot
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Crock pottery! Empty Re: Crock pottery!

Post by eselle28 Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Ooh, I need to try that full medames one. I've been looking for something vegetarian that doesn't have too long of an ingredients list, and that looks yummy!

This is a chili I make that's a little different from the usual one. I use pork shoulder rather than tenderloin, and the cooking time is closer to 8 than 10 hours in my cooker!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jerres-black-bean-and-pork-tenderloin-slow-cooker-chili/detail.aspx
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:36 pm

I have one, but I've used it maybe two or 3 times total. Easier and faster to just throw a pot on the stove or in the oven.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:10 pm

eselle28 wrote:Ooh, I need to try that full medames one. I've been looking for something vegetarian that doesn't have too long of an ingredients list, and that looks yummy!

This is a chili I make that's a little different from the usual one. I use pork shoulder rather than tenderloin, and the cooking time is closer to 8 than 10 hours in my cooker!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jerres-black-bean-and-pork-tenderloin-slow-cooker-chili/detail.aspx

If you want another relatively easy vegetarian recipe, this Moroccan one is good. I bump the curry up a notch and add chili powder because I like spicy
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:22 am

Ooh, I've been meaning to get out my recipe book for this thread. That being said, it came up in RBS's recent post that it can be hard to use a crock pot if you're away from home for many hours on the weekdays. It seemed a little distracting there, but I thought I'd mention the ways I've found around this, since I don't leave work at a consistent time each night and have the same problem.

The time-tested technique is to do two pots of food during the weekend. Sometimes that doesn't work, either, so my decidedly less than glamorous solution is to take a 4 or 5 hour recipe, start it when I get home from work, eat something else for my actual dinner that night, and then refrigerate or freeze the results before I go to bed. For longer recipes, I'll occasionally do the cooking overnight and do the freezing in the morning before I leave. It's not ideal, but things like chili and stew reheat reasonably well, and it's a way to make sure there's at least something prepared in the fridge if I get too busy.

Does anyone else have other solutions to the problem of being at work longer than it takes to make a recipe?
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 pm

My crockpot has a timer, so it shuts off. My old one (before I dropped it and killed it) did not have a timer, so I bought a timer for the outlet that would turn off/on at time X. It is a little risky food safety wise, but whatever, it worked.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum