NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introductions thread!

+52
DragonEatsKnightCheckmate
aennilla
Mme. Lara
bomaye
readertorider
HSavinien
Dannyboy
fr33et
Andrew Corvero
jcorozza
Prajnaparamita
TGnerd
InkAndComb
deathwish
Archetype694
sky
vessna
Chickpea Sarada
caliseivy
Gamerz
Jayce
Lemminkainen
IntelligentDice
concentus
Coin-op Adjudicator
Downvote
Dan_Brodribb
Gentleman Johnny
ApocalypseApple
Nerdator
Herr R
WJMorris3
kath
reboot
KMR
Wondering
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
Conreezy
BiSian
inertia
BasedBuzzed
Werel
Robjection
Hirundo Bos
eselle28
The Wisp
Gman
fakely mctest
UristMcBunny
Enail
Mel
56 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Introductions thread! Empty Introductions thread!

Post by Mel Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:16 am

(Possibly this could be pinned at the top of the forum, someone with the mod ability to do so?)

We have shiny new forums, so it's time for a shiny new introductions thread!

To get things started: Hi, I'm Mel! I was one of the mods in the old forums (though you wouldn't have seen me around much in the last several months as I was occupied with a new baby), and I've been a fairly regular commenter on the blog for... wow, I guess more than two years now.

At the moment I'm a full-time author; my geeky interests include SF and fantasy (anything--books, TV, movies, visual art, etc.), books/writing in general, anime/manga (mostly anime), video games (though I'm very picky), and web/graphic design (not for profit, but I do all my own work for my needs). Also love to travel, though that is temporarily on hold (see: new baby).

Your turn!  Grin
Mel
Mel
Roving Moderator

Back to top Go down

Introductions thread! Empty Re: Introductions thread!

Post by Enail Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:10 am

Stickied. (Mel, you should have that ability - when you post a new thread or edit your thread, at the bottom, there are radio buttons for different kinds of threads. Let me know if you don't have that!)

Back on topic: I'm Enail, I was one of the mods at the old forum after Mel went on break, and I'm one of the founders of this forum (meaning, I'm the person to complain to :s). I'm into art - comics and illustration; fantasy/sci fi books (especially kids'/YA), movies and tv; languages; anime, and to some degree animation in general; dabbling around with music; video games (mostly RPGs), and having way too many opinions! Razz
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:13 am

Hi everyone!  I'm Bunny.

I was a mod on the old forums for a while, and after taking a much-needed break I'm glad to be back and part of a larger mod team.

At the moment I'm studying Accountancy while desperately looking for any work at all.  My interests include spec-fic, about half a dozen different craft-related hobbies, science, gaming and absorbing useless but interesting trivia.  I'm queer, Pagan, a feminist and have some minor mental health whatsits.

I also have a lair on Flight Rising, for those few of you who managed to sign up during one of their infrequent registration periods.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 am

Hiya!  I'm fakely mctest (which most people shorten to fakely: totally fine).  

I'm new to modding the forum but was a long time commenter on the old forums and show up on DNL prime as the spirit moves me.

I sometimes describe myself as a hipster-adjacent nerd (big tattoos, I have a record player but my most cherished album is "Music from the Time of the Crusades").  I'm all about art, design, cultural criticism, and pop culture theory.  My literary tastes are pretty broad, but I am always up for reading a quality medical history book.  I have a degree in museum studies (although that's unrelated to what I do for work) and I can talk your ear off about the ins and outs of the Dundonian jute processing industry in the Victorian period.  I box a little and craft a lot.

General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:28 am

Enail wrote:Stickied. (Mel, you should have that ability - when you post a new thread or edit your thread, at the bottom, there are radio buttons for different kinds of threads. Let me know if you don't have that!)

It appears I do; I didn't even bother looking for it because I assumed I could only do things like that in my own subforums. *headdesk* Duly noted!
Mel
Mel
Roving Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Guess Who's Back!

Don't think I need to introduce myself again, as I was one of the older users on the old forums.
But to those who don't know me:

26, Guy, From Israel. Shared a lot of emotions and events on the old forums. It's great to be back :-)

Last edited by Gman on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Hello all, good to see familiar faces round here. I wasn't a member of the old forum but I comment on DNL prime a fair bit. I am also an Initiate of the Bsian Approved School of Misandrist Bitchery™.

I'm a landscaper in my thirties, queer cat- and snake-owner/staff, baker of ridiculous cakes and crafter of tiny felt finger puppets.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm

embertine wrote:I'm a landscaper in my thirties, queer cat- and snake-owner/staff, baker of ridiculous cakes and crafter of tiny felt finger puppets.

When I first read this I thought you were saying you were a queer cat Razz

I'm so happy to see the forums are back! (and on my birthday, too, no less!)

I am The Wisp. I lurked around the blog for awhile in late 2013, and then started posting on the old forum early this year. I was... ahem... controversial, at times. I'm trying my best to continue to learn. I'm a bit desperate for sex and affection and intimacy, and I think about these things a lot (I suppose that's what draws me here).

I am currently going to college at a flagship state university. I am a loner in real life, and so my interests tend to compliment that. I'm am continuing to love philosophy and I intend to go grad school to study it! I also love video games (mostly platformers, action adventure, indie games, strategy games), pure math, history (particularly of the classical period), science fiction, and MLB baseball and sabremetrics. I have varying degrees of interest in most academic subjects, even the ones I didn't mention here.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Like Batman outta the shadows, like the Punisher guns blazing, like Marv punching out cops... The Mikey makes his return as well. ;D

And dammit, does it feel great to be back. :3

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello, everyone! I'm Eselle. I've been hanging around the main blog for a couple of years now, and will be one of the moderators here!

I'm a lawyer who likes science fiction and fantasy in most of their forms, reading just about anything, football (less comfortably these days), traveling, and video games (especially RPGs and MMOs). At the moment, I'm very cautiously tiptoeing into cosplay, and may need to seek the advice of the Nerdlove experts from time to time!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:57 pm

My name is Martin, or by some linguistic detours: Hirundo. I'm 35 years old and a bit socially inexperienced, and have been diagnosed with autism as an adult. I was in a few relationships in my early twenties, but neither of them worked out very well. One of them worked out particularly badly. I'm the one to bear the blame for that. For the last eight years, I haven't been physically intimate with anyone, and that has probably been for the best, even though I have sometimes tried to, and sometimes desperately wanted to. The main problem seems to be that I'm low on some important skills: Social skills, communicative skills, emotional and interpersonal skills. My main work on the old forums was to identify and find ways to improve those skills. The concrete advice and outside views of myself I got there, have already helped make some big changes in my life.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi, Robjection here. I'm the type of guy whose idea of fun usually involves playing a game. This could be a computer game, a card game, a Dungeons and Dragons-esque game, pretty much any kind of game. And if I can't find the kind of game I want to play, I might just go ahead and make it myself.

As a consumer of media, I don't really know if I could pin down any particular tastes. I have been a fan of the Super Mario and Pokemon franchises for many years but my more recent interest is in games like SimCity and Roller Coaster Tycoon. As for music, I don't tend to seek it out. Rather, I will be listening to a piece of music during the course of something else, whether that's playing a game or watching something on YouTube or whatever, and I'll think "Hm, that sounds good."

What about the rest of me? Well maybe y'all will find out over time, unless you already knew from my comments on Dr. Nerdlove's blog or my posts on the old forums.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:10 pm

The Wisp wrote:

First things first: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WISP! Really good decision to be born exactly [X] years before the triumphant relaunch of the forums. Wink

Hi, I'm Werel! I'll be one of the new mods, and while I'm a relative newcomer to the blog & old forums, in the few months I spent there it really got to feeling like home.

I'm a PhD student who likes reading golden age sci fi on the beach, spilling my d10s in public, yelling at Dark Souls, and continuing to be friends with people who think Voyager is the best Star Trek. I also enjoy things like live music, fine coffee, dogs, indie films, and weird bars. (Fakely, I gotta steal "hipster-adjacent nerd," it's too good). I love reading what people write about their own lives, and can't wait to learn interesting things from each and every one of y'all!
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Oh hi,

I'm BasedBuzzed, 25 yo Dutch dude. You may know me from things like the previous forum and the main blog.

Hobbies include 4-step rock 'n roll, non-profit volunteering and horrid puns.

Nerd interests used to be vidya and animu, nowadays are mainly web culture and p0nes.

Dating status: couple of flings for the past year, main interest nowadays is exploring the dating scene in a way that will lead to at the least amusing stories.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Happy Birthday, Wisp!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Werel wrote:
The Wisp wrote:

First things first: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WISP! Really good decision to be born exactly [X] years before the triumphant relaunch of the forums. Wink

Thanks! I'm glad you're here Smile

What field are you getting a PhD in?

X=21, by the way.

EDIT:
Enail wrote:Happy Birthday, Wisp!

Thanks!
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by inertia Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:56 pm

I am Inertia, 28 to Canadaian female.

I am work in the construction industry curently doing technical drawings and pricing for a company that manufacturers material for comerical and instutional buildings.

I am a crafty type of person... I knit, Spin yarn, Cook, Make soap and other skin care products. I started doing hoola hoop dancing. I do home renos.

I have Ulcerative Colitis... But I have been pretty good lately

inertia

Back to top Go down

Post by BiSian Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:04 pm

I am BiSian, resident Feminist Meanie and apparently Principal of BiSian's Approved School of Misandrist Bitchery™. Embertine, I LOVE this and will be stealing it to use all the time!

I'm a mid-twenties traveler, ESL teacher, sometimes writer and I currently work at a family planning health clinic. My workspace is filled with self-described loud feminists. So nice. I'm trying to get myself out of the USA again--applying for teaching jobs all over the world right now!
I've been on DNL for several years now and love to join in the conversations--also I mock the whiny trolls on DNL Prime. I suppose I've had more "success" romantically than some, but I massively struggle to use my words and to grok what makes a healthy relationship.

Glad to be back!
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:22 pm

Conreezy here, 29. I just left my job as a firefighter/paramedic to go back to school full time. The fire service taught me to cook and mop, which is holding me in good stead as a househusband.

I've been lurking for over a year and a half, enjoying all the discussions and articles, but only recently starting interacting because you guys seem cool, eloquent, and very insightful.

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenestar Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi everyone! I'm kleenestar, another previous forum member. I'm in my mid-thirties, work as an assistant professor at a world-class research university, and as of last year became Dr. Star.

I often refer to myself as "isomorphic to geek," which is admittedly pretty geeky. I play and design games (both digital and non-digital), though that's now transmigrated from a free time activity to part of my day job. I especially love role-playing games, and I've been running tabletop and larp games for almost two decades. I'm a passionate and eclectic reader who'll happily dive into anything from neo-baroque space opera to a Victorian domestic novel. I sing opera, sail, and read research papers for fun. I am also currently working on Project: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, by which I mean gestating. With any luck, some of these activities will survive the arrival of the baby this December!

I'm in a profoundly satisfying and meaningful relationship of eighteen years (as of this coming month), and I love using what I've learned to help others find the same. I also am an observant Jew, so a lot of what I talk about is informed by my background and practice. My romantic life is pretty smooth, but I find the discussions here very helpful for areas where I struggle more - particularly with friendships, but also with navigating social awkwardness in my professional life. Plus, I really like all y'all.

I'm probably forgetting things but hey, there you go.
kleenestar
kleenestar

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Enail wrote:Happy Birthday, Wisp!

Introductions thread! T4aBVelzr49qw

I concur!

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Hullo. I am a 24-year-old male and citizen of the United States. I am half Japanese, half "white" (a.k.a. who knows). The Japanese half seems to express itself more.

Depending on my mood and what kind of job I'm trying to get, I'm either a mathematician with a lot of programming experience or a software engineer with mathematical inclinations.

I currently identify as asexual. It took me a while to begin to understand what the label meant, but by now I'm pretty sure it's the right one. I am still interested in companionship and have spent considerable effort toward making that happen, but so far nothing good has come of that (other than, arguably, ending up here).
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm Wondering. Back from the old forums. I've been following the blog comments in  the interim but not posting because I don't have a posting account.

I'm a Trekkie and Tolkien zealot (my friends tell me "Tolkien fanatic" is too tame a term for me). I like all sorts of fantasy lit and movies and sci fi movies. I love to travel, and have been to all 50 state capitals (and capitols!). Former English doctoral student and teacher, I now work from home in a different field. I'm almost-40, married, and a fairly new mom! Learning how to navigate momhood before going back to work. Then I'll be learning how to navigate momhood while working. Shocked

Glad to see forums up and running again.

And happy birthday, The Wisp.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:42 pm

I am KMR. You may or may not remember me from the old forums and/or blog comments. I'm best known for being quiet and going unnoticed.

I am a 28-year-old female living in the United States. I'm a graduate student working on a PhD in educational psychology. My interests include fantasy and sci-fi, video games (almost exlusively RPGs, and often older ones at that), anime (also mostly older stuff, as I don't watch so much anymore), and playing the violin infrequently and poorly.

Although I was single for pretty much the entire time the old forums were in existence, I am now in a relatively new relationship. So I'm pretty happy about that.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Happy birthday Wisp!

Hi, I am reboot, almost 42, happily divorced after an unhappy and abusive marriage, MPH with a focus in maternal child health, working in refugee resettlement in Phoenix, AZ but have lived all over the place, usually in or near a refugee camp.

Prior to my marriage I was quite the gamer, anime fan, occasional D&D player, but my husband was very much opposed to such "wastes of time" (along with any screen based entertainment) so fell out of touch. I always remained a huge sci fi, fantasy, and manga reader (my little samzidat), as well as "high" literature fiction geek with a dash of the atrocity archives (genocide, totalitarianism, nationalism studies).

Never modded before so please be patient!

[EDIT:My typos survived the forum transition I see]

Last edited by reboot on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum