NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay?

+6
Herr R
celette482
Werel
nearly_takuan
BasedBuzzed
OneTrueGuest
10 posters

Go down

Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay? Empty Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay?

Post by Herr R Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:12 am

An interesting point that was brought to my attention by possible hook-up girl. You see, I've taken to wearing a pair of aviator sunglasses whenever I go out. For one, they're fucking awesome and I feel somewhat attractive when I wear them. Plus, when the sun shines here, it shines. I think they've become a part of the personality that I want to project (read: "badass").

Now I know that wearing shades at night is kind of an odd thing to do. But I figured that as long as I use them to make dramatic appearances and then take them off, it would be kinda cool and give off that "this dude doesn't care if it's nighttime, he wears them when he wants and is confident therefore he is awesome" vibe. So far I haven't received any real negative impact for doing so. But then during the after-meeting IRL texts I exchanged with the young lady in question, when I asked her kinda jokingly if she thought I was a t least a snazzy dresser, she did admit that the glasses put her off "in a big way". Um, okay. I know it's not a look everybody goes for, but I never thought it to be offputting.

So any ideas or opinions?

Herr R

Back to top Go down

Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay? Empty Re: Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay?

Post by Guest Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:34 pm

NAY.

Sunglasses at night just look douchey. Sorry, dude.

(Same goes for wearing them on the back of the neck when they're not on your face. Just no.)

EDIT: As far as aviators in general go, I like 'em, but to some people they do carry a certain douche-connotation (due to their popularity, mostly) that you have to decide whether or not you're okay with possibly pinging. But most clothes carry some negative connotation to one populace or another, including dressing up nice, so it's just a matter of picking what you like. Keep on wearing them at night if they really make you feel good and you decide "fuck the haters."

Back to top Go down

Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay? Empty Re: Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay?

Post by Guest Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:53 pm

As far as I know, shades at night are rather silly. Nobody wears shades at night, not even me and I'm silly as heck sometimes.

There's different shapes and styles of sunglasses you can get and not everyone can pull off the aviators. I couldn't. But then I found my dad's Ray-Ban Wayfarers (that's my silly face in Wayfarers). I wore 'em to school and holy shit everyone dug them. Whereas when I wore aviators nobody said shit.

My advice regarding shades... make sure they're proportionate to your face. I say this because when I was purchasing my own pair of Wayfarers, I found they made three different sizes. I have a huge dome and face, so I opted for the wider Wayfarers.

Ultimately, it's up to you what shades you wanna use now. Also, Autumnflame is correct that aviators do have some sort of negative connotation. I remember when aviators were popular, when Jackass first came out, aviators were huge. But those have gone outta style, in more recent years I've seen Knoxville and the other Jackass guys running around in... Wayfarers. Or Faux-Bans. Razz

If anyone has anything else to add or rebuff please feel free. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:16 pm

Autumnflame wrote:NAY.

Same here.

Plus, whenever I see someone wearing sunglasses at night, I get that terrible song stuck in my head for a while.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

But... I like that song. ;-;

I mean it's pretty 80's, but totes rocks hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:24 pm

Totally agree, very douchey looking. But even something more. For me I also assume the guy wearing them has major insecurity issues. Sunglasses are a security blanket, they are a kind of modern armour. That's why people love wearing them so much. They cover the eyes, they block people from noticing one might be feeling vulnerable or any emotion really. The people who wear sunglasses at night to me just come across as scared and insecure. And that's kind of the opposite look you're going for.

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:36 pm

It does look douchey and this is selective social signalling. I opt for it from time to time, and it has an effect on the people who hang out with you during the night out. If you're in a festive fuck-everything, laugh-too-loud drink-and-dance mood, put them on. Party thrash will try to nab it, bros will high-five you and since people can't see your eyes, the nerves on making accidental eye-contact are a lot lower, and it makes the night more random fun. Be sure not to take anything too seriously during this time, from flirting to jabs and the like: if people get a feel you're being serious about the whole gig, the douche feel cranks up to eleven. You can always simply take them off when moving to a different setting(talking one-on-one with a girl in the lobby, etcetera).

Back to top Go down

Post by Herr R Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:45 pm

So... keep 'em off at night?

It's that I always sorta figured that if my fave recording artists tend to wear them on stage, at night and to great effect, well I figured that I might as well go for it.

However, there are days when I just like to go out in comfy jeans, a hoodie and no shades at all. But of course, I'm not trying to impress anybody on those days.

By the way, this be Yours Truly when I'm in badass mode with them:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Herr R on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Herr R

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:55 pm

Sunglasses make some reasonable sense on stage, actually, because spotlights do get in one's eyes a bit. Outside of that, though, I think I tend to associate shades with either drug abusers (hidden pupils) or insecure people (that whole "trying too hard" thing).
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:09 pm

The Mikey wrote:But... I like that song. ;-;

I mean it's pretty 80's, but totes rocks hard.

Okay, I rescind "terrible" and modify to "song that's the rare exception to my love of cheesy 80s pop." Razz

Herr R wrote:So... keep 'em off at night?

It's that I always sorta figured that if my fave recording artists tend to wear them on stage, at night and to great effect, well I figured that I might as well go for it.

This logic is... not so good. See:

Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay? 130616-bonnaroo-bjork-600-1371397420

On Björk, on stage? Badass. On a normal person, on the street? Ludicrous. Wink

Yeah, keep 'em off at night.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:27 pm

Werel wrote:
Okay, I rescind "terrible" and modify to "song that's the rare exception to my love of cheesy 80s pop." Razz

I'm tellin' ya. ;D It's cheesy, but I mean, come on, "Don't mess with the man or the guy in shades, oh nooo."

I heard it in Grand Theft Auto and it never went away hehehe

Back to top Go down

Post by celette482 Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:31 pm

now this brings up an interesting point.

Are sunglasses your magic feather (as in from Dumbo)? On the one hand, if you think you look cool, you might act like you're cool and that is key to being cool. On the other hand, if you think that sunglasses make you cool, perhaps the coolness you experience comes from within.

But if the question "Are sunglasses inside objectively acceptable?" the answer is no... not really.
celette482
celette482

Back to top Go down

Post by Herr R Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:52 pm

celette482 wrote:now this brings up an interesting point.

Are sunglasses your magic feather (as in from Dumbo)? On the one hand, if you think you look cool, you might act like you're cool and that is key to being cool. On the other hand, if you think that sunglasses make you cool, perhaps the coolness you experience comes from within.

But if the question "Are sunglasses inside objectively acceptable?" the answer is no... not really.

Well I wouldn't call them a magic feather, since I don't wear them all the time. But if I'm wearing, say, my cowboy hat, I wrap them around the brim when I'm not using them as a kind of accessory. For that purpose I was also thinking of getting some tank crew goggles. Anyway, the glasses themselves are a staple in Rivethead culture, along with military issue combat boots, trench coats and other assorted martial paraphernalia.

Herr R

Back to top Go down

Post by celette482 Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:50 pm

Would it be more or less cool to wear them on your head, rather on your eyes?

Question I am asking myself and the world at large.

I have glasses and am too cheap for prescription sunglasses, so I have these huge sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses and sometimes I will be rocking the sunglasses on my head with the regular glasses on my face. It's a look.
celette482
celette482

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerdator Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:47 pm

I am afraid wearing sunglasses whenever they aren't necessary or justified pretty much draws 'I'M AN INCONSIDERATE PRICK' in capital letters all over your face. Plus, it replaces your eyes with two black gapes in your skull, which is pretty disgusting.

(Checked out the picture: I don't want to be mean, but seriously – balding, chubby face, aviator glasses? This really suggests a rather unflattering stereotype. Add a handlebar moustache and a trenchcoat to this combo, and you'll have cops mentally comparing you to mugshots of paedos or something. Please, please don't tell me that you have a rusty white van or that you work part-time as a clown.)
Nerdator
Nerdator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:40 am

Ok I normally don't give people fashion advice for clothes because we all have our biases, differing opinions, I guess I have a bit of a narrow definition of what I'd consider attractive fashion, and it can be hard to pin down what someone wants to dress like/feels comfortable with. But I see a lot of negative feedback so I just want to voice my opinion. For example I wear skinny jeans a lot. I think skinny jeans are cool, I love them, and feel comfortable wearing them. I've been hinted by some men that it looks gay. I've been told by other men they look great. I've been told by some women they look great, I've been told by some women they feel surprised at me wearing pink, red, purple, or green coloured jeans. I know guys that would rather be seen dead than go out wearing these.

So I don't know what a lot of people will think about those sunglasses. If there is someone/people you want to impress sometimes it can be a hit or a miss as well. For example I find women who paint their nails in aqua, or pink colours an extreme turn on. But I don't like the look of black nail polish. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who dig black nail polish.

As for what I think of sunglasses, and aviators, personally I don't like carrying them around and when I put them in my bag I feel like I'm not keeping them in good condition. But I think aviators can look cool.

Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay? Barney-stinson+hallowen

But wearing sunglasses is a bit of a chore.

I prefer looking at things without having to look through sunglasses lenses. Also I prefer taking my sunglasses off when talking to people, so it's just a drag to put them on and off again. All in all sunglasses seem like an unnecessary addition to me.

But then again I don't wear watches, hats or jewelry much even though I think some stuff I've seen looks good. I guess I'm not much for accessories.

As for wearing sunglasses indoors, well it can seem out of place because there's no sun, its kind of like wearing a hat at night. But other than that, you seem to like these sunglasses, they are a part of your subculture. I wouldn't wear sunglasses at night cause it'll be a bit hard to look at things but that's just me.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herr R Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Right? I think I'll assume a "Fuck the haters" attitude here. But I'll definitely catch myself the next time I wear them inside or at night.

But as long as I don't look like a fucking hipster and it pisses them off, the better.

Herr R

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Aviators are great sunglasses so don't worry about that! All we're saying is just to wear them as sunglasses. So when, you know, you want to protect your eyes from brightness and glare. It's once you're wearing them when there is no glare that people start to judge. They question why you made that choice. And the answer is rarely, "Because he's cool."

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Every once in a while it does happen:

Aviators (or shades in general) during nighttime: Yay or nay? Quattro_Bajeena
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Lol, yup.  Hence my use of the word rarely.  As opposed to "never".  

I also have to say, if you're the kind of person who feels a need to ask if you should wear sunglasses at night, the answer is almost always going to be "no".  The only people in my opinion who truly pull off sunglasses at night have a real understanding of their own personal style, are really self confident and don't really care what others think.  

And this isn't a diss, I am definitely NOT one of those people myself.

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:13 pm

The other thing about sunglasses (whether it's bright or not) is that it masks your eye movement, which can make it harder to make eye contact and connect with people. Because they can't look you in the eye. If you take them off when you get inside / wherever you're socializing, people might think of them as a bit of an overblown fashion accessory, but in that case so long as you're good with that and you like them, there's no particular harm in wearing them that way.

It would be really funny if you became Reverse Horatio Caine though.

(I do basically always find it disconcerting to talk to someone in sunglasses because one can't make eye contact, but I will put up with it if it's sunny and I can tell why they're wearing them.)

Re: sunglasses on hats - I think the goggles would look better because that's clearly thought-through, not just "whatever, I'll stick em on my head". I don't think it looks cool, but if you're doing it to stick your sunglasses somewhere and aren't worried about how it looks, then its coolness doesn't need to be a deciding factor.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum