NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Entertainment Joys

+42
Sahrimnir
DoubtfulGuest
Enail
Glides
litterature
Kiskadee
bomaye
Xexyz
kath
Chickpea Sarada
Aggrax
KitKat
choys
Hirundo Bos
Robjection
Andrew Corvero
Dan_Brodribb
Aalo
CP96
InkAndComb
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
reboot
Jayce
Suika
Gentleman Johnny
Caffeinated
celette482
caliseivy
Conreezy
waxingjaney
PKB
nearly_takuan
eselle28
Gman
The Wisp
Archetype694
SarahGryph
Lemminkainen
Mel
WJMorris3
UristMcBunny
46 posters

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down

Entertainment Joys Empty Entertainment Joys

Post by Enail Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:48 pm

When an ending you've been anticipating/dreading is exactly right.  The webcomic Nimona just finished and I don't know what feelings I have, but I have SO MANY of them!   (speaking of, if you haven't been reading this comic, you should be! Anachronistic tech, former best friends turned enemies, shark-related humour and many, many feelings. Read it from the beginning here!)
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Entertainment Joys Empty Re: Entertainment Joys

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Oh gods Nimona. Yes. Feels. I do not know what to do with them.

I had FEELS when Unicorn Jelly ended. Not the best art, but something about the world and the characters just... I dunno, it gave me feels.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Ha, I actually considered recc'ing Nimona to you specifically, b/c it seemed up your alley somehow.

And Unicorn Jelly! I had followed it a long time ago, but lost track! It wasn't quite my kind of story, but it still got to me for some reason. I should read the whole thing sometime!

Another one I had giant MEGA-FEELS about the ending was Digger.

...which reminds me of another entertainment joy, things that blend comedy and serious emotion,I find them more powerful than pure serious things sometimes.  The ending of Blackadder Goes Forth was one of the most moving things I've ever seen.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Digger... I need to check that one out some time.

Oh yeah, Blackadder Goes Forth is a classic show, and the ending was really fitting. Nice that they did justice to the actual sacrifice involved while still poking fun at the situation the soldiers were put in.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:24 am

Enail wrote:When an ending you've been anticipating/dreading is exactly right.

I just finished All You Need Is Kill and it felt so right. To me anyway.

Now to watch Edge of Tomorrow, which I hear is actually pretty damn good.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:43 am

Having watched it on first broadcast...

The Quest was frickin' awesome and I'd go on ABC's website to watch it if you missed it. It's a reality competition that's actually good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:53 am

High Plains Progger wrote:

I enjoyed ALL YOU NEED IS KILL very much too. Grin

I checked the spoiler synopsis for Edge of Tomorrow because I couldn't believe Hollywood would follow the original story properly at the end... and let's just say I was right. *sigh* But it is still supposed to be a good movie in its own right--I just suspect it'll make better viewing if you wait until you can disassociate it from the book (which is what I'm doing).
Mel
Mel
Roving Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 am

NIMONA

Yes, I too have all the feels. I am thinking of buying it for my friend but it's not out until May. Noelle's art is just, ugh, so gorgeous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Mel wrote:
High Plains Progger wrote:

I enjoyed ALL YOU NEED IS KILL very much too.  Grin

I checked the spoiler synopsis for Edge of Tomorrow because I couldn't believe Hollywood would follow the original story properly at the end... and let's just say I was right.  *sigh*  But it is still supposed to be a good movie in its own right--I just suspect it'll make better viewing if you wait until you can disassociate it from the book (which is what I'm doing).

Woo, I'm not alone! Smile

Yeah, I did similarly. I accidentally spoiled the ending of the film though, which I never intended to. A little disappointed, but I'm still psyched for it. Disassociation helped me with World War Z, it will help me with this.

Now onto Virus: Days of Resurrection for the next book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:12 am

I really, really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow, but I didn't read the source material first. I also found that the key to enjoying it was watching it as a black romantic comedy in a sci-fi setting-- sort of like Groundhog Day with aliens and battlesuits. I would say that it actually topped Guardians of the Galaxy (which I actually thought was really fun and enjoyable) and X-Men: Days of Future Past (which I thought was visually beautiful, but also a hugely overrated, thematically disjointed narrative mess which totally derailed the things in First Class which made me actually care about this franchise).

My favorite sci-fi actioner of this summer, though, is definitely Snowpiercer. It's deeply strange and has moments of camp awfulness, but it's also a deeply brilliant and affecting film-- the greatest piece of artistic genius in a summer which also includes masterpieces like Calvary and Boyhood.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:11 pm

Lemminkainen wrote:I really, really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow, but I didn't read the source material first.  I also found that the key to enjoying it was watching it as a black romantic comedy in a sci-fi setting-- sort of like Groundhog Day with aliens and battlesuits.  I would say that it actually topped Guardians of the Galaxy (which I actually thought was really fun and enjoyable) and X-Men: Days of Future Past (which I thought was visually beautiful, but also a hugely overrated, thematically disjointed narrative mess which totally derailed the things in First Class which made me actually care about this franchise).

My favorite sci-fi actioner of this summer, though, is definitely Snowpiercer.  It's deeply strange and has moments of camp awfulness, but it's also a deeply brilliant and affecting film-- the greatest piece of artistic genius in a summer which also includes masterpieces like Calvary and Boyhood.

Edge of Tomorrow was amazing, haven't read the book for it. I walked in expecting nothing and was laughing my ass off the entire time. Bit cliched near the end, not a perfect film, but hey, I was a satisfied customer.

Guardians had an unbelievably cliched plot, but the comedic elements more than made up for it. I still quote that movie. Visual effects were great too.

X-Men was boring because they ignored the "show not tell" rule of storytelling. Of course Wolverine is going back in time, he's the only one who can and everyone knows this already. No shit, you're afraid of mutants, you don't have to freaking say it again. Magneto, why the fuck are you saying so many monologues? We know this information already! Apart from the visual effects, that movie was deeply half-assed. Not bad, but it's clear that almost no effort was put into it apart from the visuals and music. James McAvoy and Evan Peters were the only two actors not on perpetual auto-pilot. I can't blame the rest of the cast, the roles were severely underwritten. First Class is still the best X-Men movie by a long shot.

Snowpiercer was weird. I know it's well directed, and the acting was good. Something about it just struck me the wrong way, and I don't really know what exactly. I dunno, it was just one of those films I could never fully get into for some reason.

As for Boyhood, that one was amazing for its first half. Right around the same time we meet him as a teenager, the whole thing slammed to a halt plot wise and until the mother broke down crying at the end, it was a series of extended conversations about how mysterious and powerful and deep and amazing life is. It's like everyone just sorta gave up near the end and stopped trying, it was a huge shame. No conflict, no story at all apart from "oh what college will I go to" and "oh no a breakup" and stories that were so overdone that I actually got angry at the end. Only Ethan Hawke remained at the top of his game after that point. I'd honestly call the first half of Boyhood one of the best movies of this decade, but that second half...nah man.

I did finally get around to watching Breaking Bad, though. It's actually pretty good. Bryan Cranston's amazing in that, as everyone had said. Still, apart from him and Pinkman ("yeahhhhhh, bitch!"), I don't really like any other character on the show. I dunno, people keep telling me how amazing TV is compared to film, but I'm not really seeing it. TV definitely has more good content than we do in films, but one good film is better than ten TV shows, at least the ones I've watched. Only other ones I've seen are Game of Thrones (which is such a blatantly misogynistic show that I couldn't get past three episodes, but well made), Orange is the New Black (pretty good) and Sherlock (much better than I expected, honestly didn't think the concept would work). Oh yeah, and Doctor Who, which is the cheesiest goddamn thing I've ever seen, but I still like it. It's like an Adam West Batman for the modern day.

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahGryph Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:48 pm

I finally got around to playing Gone Home a few weeks ago and I loved every second of it. I expected I'd enjoy it vaguely (I love games that do interesting things with story) but since I knew the gist of it already I didn't expect to be impressed. Nice surprise there; it was all about how the story was told and the mechanics used; at least what really made it work so well to me. Smile

After a long break playing other games I'm also getting up near end of endgame content on my main in DCUO. Small victory - I didn't really expect to catch up to some of the folks I game with since it's not the only game I play so it's neat that I have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Archetype694 Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:21 am

The second season of Agents of Shield has me rather hyped.

Having gotten past the slow first few arcs we are now getting much larger set pieces and what seems to be operational goals. The mysteries are bigger and the questions many.

However this is not the reason I am hyped. It's somewhat rare even today for a show to have a multi racial cast that does not fall back on tired troupes. Perhaps it's due to the sensitivities of the showrunners (See "Nobody's Asian in the movies from the Dr Horrible Soundtrack) that allow for this.

It was such a nice surprise seeing the cast filling roles outside of what would they would normally be pigeonholed in. Such as the large hispanic-ish male would typically be some variation of the tough guy troupe. Instead he is empathic, has a mind for science and so far has shown himself to be a caring and nurturing individual.
Archetype694
Archetype694

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Got around to watching the most recent South Park. It had a very positive message wrt to transgender acceptance, which I didn't expect (trans issues are one of the few they haven't been so great on in the past).
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:18 pm

So Apparently - things like this are an actual thing in music entertainment in Japan right now:

Yes, that is a Hologram singing and yes, that is a live audience. Maybe some of the anime experts around these forums can clarify this rather bizzare, but also (in my opinion) quite impressive musical show for us. TL:DR = it's wierd, but I like it anyway :-)
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Interesting. I'm not an anime person at all, but I kind of get it. A lot of pop music shows feature an album or radio version of a song playing while a performer dances, wears interesting costumes, and is surrounded by special effects. Most people I know who go to those shows who are past their teen years are perfectly aware of this and still buy tickets because they enjoy the spectacle. It's only one step further to something like this, which is arguably more of a spectacle for people who like holographic effects.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:00 am

Anybody who has played Civilization will appreciate this comic: http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/articles/article/8161/civility_28-10-10.jpg
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Civ: Beyond Earth is pretty great so far. I'm a bit miffed that apparently this vision of the grand spacefaring future still has everyone all racially and geographically segregated, but whatever.

I expected to favor the Harmony ideology, but it's actually the Purity play-style that ended up appealing most to my sensibilities. I wasn't too surprised that I found myself zealously opposing anything and everything that had the stink of Supremacy on it. Fuck off, spehs muhreenz.

Also as is often the case in Civ games, I always want to aim for what is probably the least efficient victory condition, which in this case is Contact. It's even harder to resist this time around, though, because it has the added draw of having a super cool theme and being the closest Civ's ever had to a "story mode" path through the game.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by PKB Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Heh. That Civ comic is funny because it's true.

On a Civ note, I absolutely love the feel of Alpha Centauri. It feels like a hard sci-fi novel come to life - like the Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars trilogy, though on another planet. So immersive.

Anyone here played Fez? The first hour of play is one HOLY SHIT THAT JUST HAPPENED moment after another. Frickin' amazing.
PKB
PKB

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm

PKB wrote:Heh.  That Civ comic is funny because it's true.

On a Civ note, I absolutely love the feel of Alpha Centauri.  It feels like a hard sci-fi novel come to life - like the Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars trilogy, though on another planet.  So immersive.

Anyone here played Fez?  The first hour of play is one HOLY SHIT THAT JUST HAPPENED moment after another.  Frickin' amazing.

I loved Fez. Very charming and creative.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Call me crazy, but they're releasing the Batman television series in a box set for DVD and I want it badly. Drops on November 11 and Amazon has it for $135 for 18 DVDs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:19 am

I'm ever so glad that a host of talented people worked together to make this:

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:22 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/28/marvel-confirms-movies-for-black-panther-captain-marvel-more?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Pants = pooped

Back to top Go down

Post by PKB Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Holy crap that Shia LaBeouf bit is amazing. Kinda reminds me of Frontier Psychiatrist.
PKB
PKB

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:05 am

OMG Interstellar!

Best movie I've seen all year. It's not perfect; I get why some critics didn't like it, but still. Fantastic movie.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum