NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime general thread

+20
Hielario
bomaye
sky
eselle28
Student
Werel
Archetype694
Bumble
Xexyz
Caffeinated
HSavinien
Jayce
choys
CP96
litterature
Aggrax
Kurairush
Chickpea Sarada
Suika
Enail
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anime general thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Anime general thread

Post by bomaye Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:57 pm

Anime general thread - Page 3 Dragon-Dentist-01-48

See that thing above their heads? The Dragon's teeth Grin

It's a two part anime adaptation of an internet short. Both parts are gonna be 45 minutes long, Part 1 just came out
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:49 pm

The second/last episode of Dragon Dentist just came out
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:46 am

Finished the second ep. Dragon Dentists is like someone just threw two random words together and handed it to some creator and was like "haha, this sounds funny" and the creator's brain exploded with more ideas than they could hold in and then they were like "... oh SHIT, FUND IT, FUND IT." (I guess it figures, the producer is the guy who directed Evangelion)
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:45 am

The last anime I finished was "TIGER & BUNNY", as dubbed by VIZ. It came out in 2011 and for a hot minute was one of the most popular anime out there. Nowadays, ONE PUNCH MAN or MY HERO ACADEMIA are the hottest superhero anime out there. I like anime for all its different franchises and genres, but sometimes it's cool seeing their take on superhero stuff. One of my favorite series is GUYVER but I digress. "TIGER & BUNNY" started as a TV anime and got a manga later, as well as two films. Although the first film is mostly a rehash of the first 2-3 episodes with extras thrown in.Anime general thread - Page 3 Tiger_10

It's basically a buddy cop series mixed in with some interesting takes on the superhero tropes and reality TV. In the fictional city of STERN BUILD set in the near future, HERO TV covers the exploits of metahumans called "NEXT's" who all have their own sponsors like race car drivers or pro athletes. They all compete with each other in a point system regarding fighting crime, rescues, or stopping spectacular terrorist attacks. Over time, a conspiracy is revealed within STERN BUILD regarding HERO TV and a mysterious criminal organization called "Ouroburos".

The title heroes are Wild Tiger, a C-list hero in his mid 30's and past a prime he never head, being forced to team up with the new kid on the block, Barnaby Brooks Jr. (who Tiger dubs "Bunny").
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:57 am

I started watching Sword Art Online because Season 3 is going to be a 50ish episode one apparently and there's only 50 pre-existing episodes (and a side-anime that's not connected) so I figured I'd catch up.

7 episodes in and it's pretty much everything I've heard about it.

- Great setting and deeply-thought-out application of the setting
- They also very casually and very intelligently roll out each facet of the setting. Things get mentioned in passing that provide a lot of colour for the setting itself and how the people inside are coping with what's happened to them over the length of time they're playing SAO
- Good animation/music (though nothing I would call "great" right yet).
- Main character is a Mary Sue. Every girl falls in love with him, he's a badass solo player even thought it's an MMO, he acts like a mix between Squall Leonhart from FF8 and Guts (his in-game nickname is even "The Black Swordsman")
- They do waifus really well if that's your thing

Maybe the only thing I'd want changed so far is how quickly the flow of the story moves. It's not based on a weekly manga but a series of light novels, so you jump very quickly and abruptly between timeframes and miss a lot of player progression. I guess how fast things move is a positive, but it could move a bit slower.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:20 am

I'm torn between "How not to summon a demon lord" (which sounds more fun than the usual example of its subgenre) and "Angels of Death" (I am watching a LP of the indie game that originated it). Any help?
Hielario
Hielario

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:14 pm

If I had to watch one, I would probably go with Demon Lord, but that's because Angels of Death seemed really edgy in a way I don't like and the visual novel might be the better way to experience it anyways.

I didn't watch either, though. I never did Demon Lord because it seemed like it was a just a harem anime hidden behind a fantasy setting
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm

My brother and I went to see the Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie this week, and we were both pretty disappointed by it (namely the latter half of the movie, i.e. the actual fight). But the reviews I've seen online, especially from other Dragon Ball fans, have been so overwhelmingly positive that I feel like I'm crazy for thinking it had all these problems that apparently didn't bother anybody else. Was I expecting too much or something? I don't even know.

Man, it's weird having the unpopular opinion.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Glides Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion and the movie.

Episodes 25 and 26 might as well be calling me out personally. Ow.

Glides

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm

It's been a long-ass time since I watched it, but that anime-ending was such a weird left-turn. Straight up abandoned the story and didn't resolve anything
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Youtube randomly decided that I should watch this after Phantom 2040. Not really my genre, though the animation in the intro is nice.

waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Since I'm getting back on the anime train after being away from it for a while, I've been watching My Hero Academia and am getting close to caught up. It's been nice because I like those kinds of shounen anime, but I can't stand the way so many of them ultimately drag out to hundreds of episodes with frustratingly slow pacing and cluttered with filler (e.g. Naruto, One Piece, etc.). I get 100+ episodes into these shows and inevitably lose interest and stop keeping up with them; I know there's good stuff there later in the show, but I can't deal with the slog to get to it. Can anyone recommend some good shounen series along those same lines that are a reasonable length and don't fall victim to this trap?
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:18 pm

KMR wrote:Since I'm getting back on the anime train after being away from it for a while, I've been watching My Hero Academia and am getting close to caught up. It's been nice because I like those kinds of shounen anime, but I can't stand the way so many of them ultimately drag out to hundreds of episodes with frustratingly slow pacing and cluttered with filler (e.g. Naruto, One Piece, etc.). I get 100+ episodes into these shows and inevitably lose interest and stop keeping up with them; I know there's good stuff there later in the show, but I can't deal with the slog to get to it. Can anyone recommend some good shounen series along those same lines that are a reasonable length and don't fall victim to this trap?

YU YU HAKUSHO, while it is about 112 episodes, I'd argue doesn't have much filler. Some people say the last arc is "rushed" because it's "merely" 12 episodes, but eh. There are 2 films as well, but they're side material.

IMO it sometimes is best to stick to series which are 26-52 episodes if you dislike filler or want a complete story. And FYI my tastes run with older and/or less beaten path material.

If you want a superhero anime which is nowhere as long, TIGER & BUNNY is great. 26 episodes and 2 movies. Plus, one of the stars is, GASP, a man in his 30's with a kid and not a teenager.

USHIO & TORA wrapped in 2015-2016 with 39 episodes. The plot is similar to INU YASHA, although the manga pre-dated Yasha, and the main lead is a dude. The supporting cast are mostly ladies and it is not a harem series.

Classics include COWBOY BEBOP, SAMURAI CHAMPLOO (done by the same production team) and I guess OUTLAW STAR, which is a good sample anime of what anime in the 90's was like.

I like the 2005 era BIO BOOSTER ARMOR GUYVER, which is very close to the manga. If you want a dark "super sentai" show, that is it.

If you like vampires you have two flavors of HELLSING, but for my money NIGHTWALKER was better, and I think only has 12 episodes.

I liked STEAM DETECTIVES but that may be out of print.

This is entirely off the top of my head, so, YMMV.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:26 pm

I'd say give Black Clover a try. It's fast-paced shonen, magic-based, it cribs a lot from Naruto's plot points and One Piece's likeable characters (I'm of the theory that this was actually cooked up in a lab of shonen tropes to replace Naruto once it ended). The first few episodes are a little obnoxious because it just focuses on the two main characters and the main character is very gung-ho yelling all the time, but it evens out once everyone else is introduced. It's not as good as My Hero Academia (for my money, that's probably the best shonen going right now, though I guess The Promised Neverland counts as a shonen too) but it's got its heart in the right place. Really light on filler too.

Also a sorta-interesting shonen called Dr Stone that's getting an adaptation right now.

OH. Also. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It may seem long, but it's split into separate parts (5 as of now) where each part takes place in a different era with different characters and each part receives a definitive ending. It's one of the most whacked out things I've ever seen (Part 4 in particular is something I think is special). It's about a family line that utilizes special powers (mostly "Stands", psychic entities named after popular musical acts) to fight supernatural opponents.

The first Season, 26 episodes, is Part 1 (Phantom Blood) and Part 2 (Battle Tendency). Part 1 was kind of test-run that was abbreviated so they managed to fit both into one season.

Second and third seasons, 48 episodes all together, make up Part 3 (Stardust Crusaders). This was the most popular one in Japan.

Fourth Season, Part 4 (Diamond is Unbreakable) an Fifth Season, Part 5 (Golden Wind/Vento Aureo) are both 39 episodes long. Part is just about to end, usually we wait a few years until a new part but we're getting deep into it and it's hard to tell if they'll keep making more.

USHIO & TORA wrapped in 2015-2016 with 39 episodes.

Also Karakuri Circus from that same author just finished getting a 39 episode adaptation.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into those.

YU YU HAKUSHO, while it is about 112 episodes, I'd argue doesn't have much filler. Some people say the last arc is "rushed" because it's "merely" 12 episodes, but eh. There are 2 films as well, but they're side material.

I watched a fair bit of Yu Yu Hakusho back when they were showing it on TV. Then at one point, my brother and I starting watching it again with the DVDs because we wanted to check out the sub, but we kind of fell off the wagon pretty early on. I somehow thought the show was longer than it is, 112 episodes sounds pretty doable if the pacing is decent, so it might be worth going back to.

Classics include COWBOY BEBOP, SAMURAI CHAMPLOO (done by the same production team) and I guess OUTLAW STAR, which is a good sample anime of what anime in the 90's was like.

My main anime-watching phase was in the early-mid 2000s, so I've seen a good number of the classic 90s shows. Smile

I'd say give Black Clover a try. It's fast-paced shonen, magic-based, it cribs a lot from Naruto's plot points and One Piece's likeable characters (I'm of the theory that this was actually cooked up in a lab of shonen tropes to replace Naruto once it ended). The first few episodes are a little obnoxious because it just focuses on the two main characters and the main character is very gung-ho yelling all the time, but it evens out once everyone else is introduced.

I kind of felt that way about My Hero Academia at first, actually, because the early episodes focus on the Midoriya/Bakugo rivalry and Bakugo is just one-note angry all the time (and still is at the point I'm at, that dude seriously needs more character development). It got so much better when the show fleshed out its supporting cast.

Also, that filler website might be handy if I ever bite the bullet and actually decide to watch Naruto: Shippuden, which my boyfriend keeps trying to convince me that I should do.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:22 pm

I'd definitely recommend Naruto. It's an interesting case because they couldn't do a lot of normal plot-based extension filler in canon episodes. They relied on overusing flashbacks (which are easily fast-forwarded through) and straight up filler arcs and episodes that are easily skipped.

The Shippuden part does have its flaws (I really dislike two arcs though one of those arcs is held by the fanbase as one of the best ones so what do I know, part of the cast is basically just left in the background because the author was done with their stories and they were probably only kept around to sell merch, the final arc took years in real life time to unfold but within the universe probably only lasted a few days and the author kind of forgot that so the power overusage is ridiculous) but also has some top-notch twists, battles, and some great characters introduced (Killer Bee and the Raikage are arguably two of the best characters in the entire series) and the universe actually does get fleshed out really well in retrospect.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:42 pm

Yeah, I watched most of the first Naruto series (got through the pivotal Naruto/Sasuke fight, then just ignored the remaining filler arcs), but never actually got around to Shippuden. I've heard great things though, and I saw a clip or two of Killer Bee fighting, which was pretty amazing. I do remember the overused flashbacks being really annoying, which is part of why I never got back to it.

But man, I have some fond memories of that show, like the fight between Rock Lee and Gaara.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:12 am

Aight, so since you're somewhat familiar:

There's a climactic confrontation between Sasuke and Itachi in Shippuden that was so good that even people I know who turned on Naruto because filler/the fanbase was embarrassing/etc were sucked back in by it.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:18 am

KMR wrote:Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into those.

I watched a fair bit of Yu Yu Hakusho back when they were showing it on TV. Then at one point, my brother and I starting watching it again with the DVDs because we wanted to check out the sub, but we kind of fell off the wagon pretty early on. I somehow thought the show was longer than it is, 112 episodes sounds pretty doable if the pacing is decent, so it might be worth going back to.

It definitely is a classic shounen series which, despite it being fairly mainstream, I think doesn't get the credit it deserves. I mean, a third of the series takes place at a tournament. Hard to get more shounen than that.

KMR wrote:Yeah, I watched most of the first Naruto series (got through the pivotal Naruto/Sasuke fight, then just ignored the remaining filler arcs), but never actually got around to Shippuden. I've heard great things though, and I saw a clip or two of Killer Bee fighting, which was pretty amazing. I do remember the overused flashbacks being really annoying, which is part of why I never got back to it.

But man, I have some fond memories of that show, like the fight between Rock Lee and Gaara.

That's about where I began losing interest in NARUTO and never looked back. It was after some filler arc where Hinata got kidnapped by bee people and then Naruto blasted everyone with his Razingun, because of course he did.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:24 am

The funny thing about Yu Yu Hakusho for me is that I actually happened to watch a series called Flame of Recca, whose tournament arc was heavily influenced by Yu Yu Hakusho's tournament arc, well before I ever heard of or saw Yu Yu Hakusho. So to me, it always feels like Yu Yu Hakusho is copying Flame of Recca, even though it's actually the other way around.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:12 pm

KMR wrote:The funny thing about Yu Yu Hakusho for me is that I actually happened to watch a series called Flame of Recca, whose tournament arc was heavily influenced by Yu Yu Hakusho's tournament arc, well before I ever heard of or saw Yu Yu Hakusho. So to me, it always feels like Yu Yu Hakusho is copying Flame of Recca, even though it's actually the other way around.

I've heard of FLAME OF RECCA, considered seeing it more than once.

Yeah, some series are like that, it's all about timing and popularity. Like how USHIO & TORA is usually criticized as a knockoff of INU YASHA, only it's the other way around, at least in terms of manga. And that YASHA is way longer and, admittedly, focuses a little more on romance and the ladies on the cast.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:31 am

KMR wrote:My brother and I went to see the Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie this week, and we were both pretty disappointed by it (namely the latter half of the movie, i.e. the actual fight). But the reviews I've seen online, especially from other Dragon Ball fans, have been so overwhelmingly positive that I feel like I'm crazy for thinking it had all these problems that apparently didn't bother anybody else. Was I expecting too much or something? I don't even know.

Man, it's weird having the unpopular opinion.

Having just watched it:

There were a million little details and reveals and unexpected cameos that were fan-pleasing. As a push-my-glasses-up Dragon Ball Nerd, I fucking loved it. The fight itself is also as high-budget as Dragon Ball's ever been, and some of the perspectives and effects they used were amazing as fuuuuu.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:29 am

I appreciated it as a retelling of Broly's story, but the fight for me just went too over-the-top with showing off their effects budget in a way that felt really jarring and detracted from the actual fighting for me. The odd perspectives they used were really interesting, but also kind of distracting and made it harder to follow the action at times.

The pacing of the fight felt really off too...
Spoiler:

So I dunno... I just thought it was kind of odd and not exactly what I was expecting from Dragon Ball.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:36 am

KMR wrote:I appreciated it as a retelling of Broly's story, but the fight for me just went too over-the-top with showing off their effects budget in a way that felt really jarring and detracted from the actual fighting for me. The odd perspectives they used were really interesting, but also kind of distracting and made it harder to follow the action at times.

The pacing of the fight felt really off too...
Spoiler:

So I dunno... I just thought it was kind of odd and not exactly what I was expecting from Dragon Ball.

Did you watch Super and/or any of the other two recent movies?
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:28 am

Yeah, I watched all of Super and saw both of the other movies in theaters when they came out.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum