NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Games General

+17
Hielario
berrybear
Sahrimnir
Kaz
The Wisp
Aalo
trooper6
celette482
Archetype694
Gentleman Johnny
caliseivy
TheRoux
eselle28
Gman
Conreezy
Jayce
Caffeinated
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Video Games General Empty Video Games General

Post by bomaye Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:39 pm

All-encompassing thread, everything from what you're playing, to what you've beat, to the Games Industry and reviews, casual games, anything to do with video games (though if something's popular around here, like Bioware games, go make a full thread for it :p)

I just beat Donkey Kong '94 for the Game Boy on the 3DS (I used up some of my remaining coins because Club Nintendo' shutting down on it). What a great game. Platforming was a bit frustrating to figure out at first, but god damn, bite-sized levels, makes you feel smart and skilled when you beat a level (especially with all bonus items), satisfying to have an ongoing rivalry with DK and DK Jr as the game moves along. A great little portable game.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Video Games General Empty Re: Video Games General

Post by caliseivy Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:46 pm

Been squishing in play time on Hyrule Warriors whenever I'm not busy with classes or work. I need to finally beat Bravely Default and especially FE: Awakening before the next one comes out.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:53 pm

Currently making a second run through of Alin Isolation, on hard difficulty this time. Also building up my Skaven Blood Bol team because this is what the term "fantasy football" should mean.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Have been playing the new World of Warcraft expansion. The whole garrison and missions thing is... well, at our house it's come to be referred as checking the Skinner box.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:52 am

Well I got invited for Blizzard Entertainment's Heroes of the Storm Beta, great way to play with other people, and I love how they take into consideration of people's busy lives, that games usually last 15 minutes, 30 at most.

I also played Super Smash Brothers for the first time ever, two weeks back at a new video game themed bar. For a beat em up, its surprisingly confusing with 7 other people on the screen. Half of us didn't knew where we were at the beginning and we were mostly sober.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:47 am

Jayce wrote:I also played Super Smash Brothers for the first time ever, two weeks back at a new video game themed bar. For a beat em up, its surprisingly confusing with 7 other people on the screen. Half of us didn't knew where we were at the beginning and we were mostly sober.

Oh man, as someone who grew up with smash on the N64 and especially on the GCN, where I used to play 4 player matches and thought that was as crazy as fighting games can get, I can only imagine the madness that is 8 player smash! I don't have a Wii U, but man oh man am I dying to find someone who has a Wii U and the GCN controller adapter - that way, I can take my still functioning GCN controllers and experience the madness first hand Loopy !

I am now trying to make my way through dragon age inquisition on the Xbox One. Once I do that, I'll probably return to playing some sunset overdrive. On the PC side of things, I am waiting for the Homeworld Remastered edition to come out - really like the theme of the game, but never got to experience it back when it originally came out - so this is a great opertunity :-)

Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:09 pm

I finally got a 3DS a couple months ago so I could play Etrian Odyssey 4, the latest installment in one of my favorite series, and Ocarina of Time 3D.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Jayce wrote:I also played Super Smash Brothers for the first time ever, two weeks back at a new video game themed bar. For a beat em up, its surprisingly confusing with 7 other people on the screen. Half of us didn't knew where we were at the beginning and we were mostly sober.

I'm in a video and board game club in university and we've bought a Wii U just for smash and play with 8 players. It has been a hit during open doors day.

Lately I'm playing Castle in the Darkness, a retro indie game on steam... it's pretty cool. Very skill based, no grinding.

I'm a metroidvania fan... I just love sidescrolling platformers with "RPG" elements. (upcoming: Chasm) To a point that I'd like to make one myself. I would have no problems coding it... but the artwork is another matter.

I also like 4X games... Played CK2 for a good while a year ago. Played Civ V, Endless Space... I wish they'd do a remake of Master of Orion 2... (3 was shit as I was told, so I skipped it)

I also like space sims like Freelancer (my all time favorite, thought I'd wish they'd include playable Capital ships without the need for mods). I see Star Citizen coming and it looks pretty cool, but the subscription puts me off. So I might just go for Elite Dangerous if I can.

RPGs!!! Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, (upcoming: Pillars of Eternity and Torment Tides of Numenera). Haven't played DA: Inquisition yet, I've been told mixed reviews about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Tides of Numenera sounds awesome, reading the description gives me that same kind of excitement I used to get as a kid reading the backs of game boxes for systems I didn't own. Shiny/thrilled
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:25 pm

[quote="TheRoux"]
Jayce wrote:
I also like space sims like Freelancer (my all time favorite, thought I'd wish they'd include playable Capital ships without the need for mods). I see Star Citizen coming and it looks pretty cool, but the subscription puts me off. So I might just go for Elite Dangerous if I can.

Have you seen the previews for No Man's Sky yet? That's the space sim I'm excited about.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:43 pm

OMG NO MAN'S SKY LOOKS SOOO DOPE. :DDD

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 pm

KMR wrote:I finally got a 3DS a couple months ago so I could play Etrian Odyssey 4, the latest installment in one of my favorite series.

I fell into Etrian Odyssey by accident, when they had that sale on Millennium Girl. I liked 4, still trying to beat part 2. It looks like there's a crossover on preorder now, Etrian Mystery Dungeon. I don't remember what the other game series is part of the mashup.

I have memories of Bauldur's gate (I think it was Dark Alliance) for the PS 2. My then-boyfriend and I would play two player. I like games like that.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:21 am

Planescape Torment

Oh, that takes me back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:34 am

Anxiously awaiting Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on Saturday.

Been replaying Kingdom Hearts 2 from the 2.5HD re-release on the PS3 lately and another run through of Fire Emblem Awakening. Up to Xemnas on Proud Mode for the former and just started the attack on Valm in the latter.

Fun fact: I am stupid and have three copies of Kingdom Hearts 1, 2 and Chain of Memories and four copies of Birth By Sleep.

It's my guilty pleasure series. Razz

Last edited by MapWater on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:20 am

I beat Wario Land 2 and thought it was okay at best, but then they revealed end-game perfecentages, multiple pathways and endings, and a stage-select. Oh boy
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:Have you seen the previews for No Man's Sky yet? That's the space sim I'm excited about.

Oh god... I can't believe I forgot about this thing... Yes, this made me very curious.

caliseivy wrote:I have memories of Bauldur's gate (I think it was Dark Alliance) for the PS 2. My then-boyfriend and I would play two player. I like games like that.

Yes, this was indeed a fun game. It is however not the same type of game as Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Dark Alliance is a hack and Slash (like Diablo), while BG 1-2 are full fledge RPGs (I'm a purist on this subject Razz). So you control a party or people that interact with eachother, and the environment. Think, Bioware stuff: Mass Effect, Dragon Age... hell, now that I think about it, it WAS developped by Bioware... so imagine Dragon Age, in a 2D isometric view, using D&D rules with twice the game time, twice the playable characters... hell twice everything (except the graphics... which were good at that time)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:35 pm

So a lot of AAA games recently are coming out buggy and stuff. I think it's important to remember that things could always be way, WAY worse :

Laughing
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:40 pm

TheRoux wrote:
Yes, this was indeed a fun game. It is however not the same type of game as Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Dark Alliance is a hack and Slash (like Diablo), while BG 1-2 are full fledge RPGs (I'm a purist on this subject Razz). So you control a party or people that interact with eachother, and the environment. Think, Bioware stuff: Mass Effect, Dragon Age... hell, now that I think about it, it WAS developped by Bioware... so imagine Dragon Age, in a 2D isometric view, using D&D rules with twice the game time, twice the playable characters... hell twice everything (except the graphics... which were good at that time)

Ah, Baldur's Gate... I'm super excited for Pillars of Eternity and some of the other 2D isometric RPGs that are coming out soon. I adore Dragon Age, of course, but there's something to be said for those 2D tactics based games, and they're a lot friendlier to the modding community.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Gman wrote:So a lot of AAA games recently are coming out buggy and stuff. I think it's important to remember that things could always be way, WAY worse :

Two Words: BIG RIGS

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:49 pm

TheRoux wrote:Yes, this was indeed a fun game. It is however not the same type of game as Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Dark Alliance is a hack and Slash (like Diablo), while BG 1-2 are full fledge RPGs (I'm a purist on this subject Razz). So you control a party or people that interact with eachother, and the environment. Think, Bioware stuff: Mass Effect, Dragon Age... hell, now that I think about it, it WAS developped by Bioware... so imagine Dragon Age, in a 2D isometric view, using D&D rules with twice the game time, twice the playable characters... hell twice everything (except the graphics... which were good at that time)

Never had the pleasure of playing the DA games, but my sister tells me they're awesome. The screenshots I just saw of Bauldr's Gate 2 look familiar, but I know I've never played it. Now I want to.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:34 pm

caliseivy wrote:Never had the pleasure of playing the DA games, but my sister tells me they're awesome. The screenshots I just saw of Bauldr's Gate 2 look familiar, but I know I've never played it. Now I want to.

The enhanced Edition is on Steam right now for $25 if I remember correctly. there are a few bugs bugs from what I heard but it's not as game breaking as other ports. The enhanced edition is made to work on recent machines (it used to run on Windows 98) and they added some extra content like new side-quests and extra characters. (or if you're a purist, you can still buy the original for 10$ with mod access)

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Oh boy, does this mean I can't avoid Steam and its addictive nature anymore?
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:24 pm

Really excited for Cyberpunk 2077. Cyberpunk 2020 was one of my early RPG loves and Mike Pondsmith, the brains behind that game and a former Microsoft game designer, is on the project.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Archetype694 Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:25 pm

MapWater wrote:
Fun fact: I am stupid and have three copies of Kingdom Hearts 1, 2 and Chain of Memories and four copies of Birth By Sleep.

It's my guilty pleasure series. Razz

While I am not such a fan to have multiple copies of the same game I do have that same sense of enjoying it as a guilty pleasure. KH can be rather cheesy and when the series was announced I thought it would be an trainwreck of epic proportions.

It's just so damn cute and goofily sweet, like a big silly dog that likes to snuggle even though he is way too large to sit on your lap. It may be corny as heck but yet somehow I find it endearing and heartwarming.  As for Birth By Sleep, so many feels..

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:53 am

Curious but wary about King's Quest 2015. Don't be a platformer!

Also, wondering how cheaply I could get a used PS3 before Persona 5 comes out innocent
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum