NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picking up Girls, written by Girls for boys

+5
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
Conreezy
Enail
The Wisp
9 posters

Go down

Picking up Girls, written by Girls for boys Empty Picking up Girls, written by Girls for boys

Post by Guest Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:58 pm

http://www.vice.com/read/the-vice-guide-to-chatting-up-girls-written-by-girls?utm_source=vicefbus

Okay, I had to rip off the article title for the topic title, but eh, whatevs.

What do some of you fine folks think about this article? Vice is pretty hit or miss for some people, some like it others hate it. Personally I'm 50/50 because the site can sure have it's head up it's own ass.

REGARDLESS, what do you fine forumites think of this particular article? I thought it was interesting, somewhat informative, down to earth and pretty silly.

Last edited by The Mikey on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Picking up Girls, written by Girls for boys Empty Re: Picking up Girls, written by Girls for boys

Post by The Wisp Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Meh I didn't see much useful advice. It seemed more like a goofy column talking about how guys who already get laid get laid. For instance, there's the assumption you have a ton of Tinder matches and a ton of friends who are open to causal sex with you.

Also it bought into gender roles a ton and I felt like the pitfalls listed were more for humor than actually unintuitive pitfalls.

Last edited by The Wisp on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Picking up Girls, written by Girls for boys Empty Re: Picking up Girls, written by Girls for boys

Post by Enail Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:24 pm

As I'm sure you expected, a huge no to the claim that "we're really fine with getting wooed anywhere."  I know, I'm not the target demographic for 'boys,' but I would give a serious stink-eye and nothing else to Gina effin' Torres if she tried to hit on me on a subway platform, and (again, as I'm sure you know), there are plenty of straight women who would do the same for whoever the male equivalent of Gina Torres is (there is no equivalent. No one is as hot as Gina Torres).

Also pretty creeped out by "If she wants to bang you/is high enough to believe there's a good party going on at 4 AM..." since that sounds an awful lot like lying to people too high to consent to get them somewhere where they're more likely to have sex with you anyway.

Buying a drink and bumming a smoke are both things that filter for particular kinds of people, so if they suit you, sure, why not, but if you don't like the smell of smoke or prefer people who aren't terribly into traditional gender roles, probably not good choices for you (and if you're not sincerely okay with buying someone a drink and having them not be even slightly interested in you anyway, don't buy people drinks). The rest seems fairly okay to me, if designed more for entertainment than useful advice.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Enail wrote:

Also pretty creeped out by "If she wants to bang you/is high enough to believe there's a good party going on at 4 AM..." since that sounds an awful lot like lying to people too high to consent to get them somewhere where they're more likely to have sex with you anyway.

Yeah, I thought that was a little weird. I'd rather she be sober and most parties I've been to were done waaay before 4am, they were done at like 2am.

Enail wrote:The rest seems fairly okay to me, if designed more for entertainment than useful advice.

Yeah, I thought so too.

Like I said, it's from Vice, so they're not exactly the arbiter and/or pariah of solid advice, but this seemed like something interesting. A lot of stuff here made a lot of sense, was pretty down to earth and seemed like common sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:34 am

Meh I didn't see much useful advice.

Yeah, that all seemed like pretty generic advice.

Like I said, it's from Vice, so they're not exactly the arbiter and/or pariah of solid advice, but this seemed like something interesting.

At least it wasn't any Elite Daily garbage.

No one is as hot as Gina Torres

True.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:04 am

It's one of those articles struggling to be funny and just ends up condescending and about as helpful as a tin tack in a jock strap. Kind of like Cracked.

I mean, I'm clearly not the target audience of this article so I'm coming at it from an 'outsider' perspective, but the whole 'trying to smart by talking down to the person supposedly being advised on how to improve themselves' schtick jives about as well with me getting run over by a truck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:56 am

Conreezy wrote:
At least it wasn't any Elite Daily garbage.  

You're absolutely correct. Elite Daily makes me want to spew every time I read their, well, elitist bullshit.

MapWater wrote:It's one of those articles struggling to be funny and just ends up condescending and about as helpful as a tin tack in a jock strap. Kind of like Cracked.

I mean, I'm clearly not the target audience of this article so I'm coming at it from an 'outsider' perspective, but the whole 'trying to smart by talking down to the person supposedly being advised on how to improve themselves' schtick jives about as well with me getting run over by a truck.

Really? I didn't get that kind of vibe. If anything, I felt like it was a tongue-in-cheek take on the "Talk to women like people" advice. Razz I'm just missing the pivotal step of having balls as the say in this particular article. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:56 am

Enail wrote:No one is as hot as Gina Torres

It's funny how my family just had this same exact conversation after watching the Matrix sequels this weekend. (Me, dad, mom, younger sister.)

The entire article read to me as little more than "stop pretending you're in it for love; you're lying and 'we' know it." For me it is useless and discouraging, but I imagine even for more sexual dudes such a message would seem condescending and somewhat degrading.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:16 am

MapWater wrote:It's one of those articles struggling to be funny and just ends up condescending and about as helpful as a tin tack in a jock strap. Kind of like Cracked.

Really? I didn't get that kind of vibe. If anything, I felt like it was a tongue-in-cheek take on the "Talk to women like people" advice. Razz I'm just missing the pivotal step of having balls as the say in this particular article. Laughing[/quote]

I'm missing that step too (and a lot of other steps... all the steps) but I think you're giving Vice far more credit than I am. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:14 am

Comments section is golden. At least now you know how to never attract readers of the new Vice, which makes the article worth your time in and of itself. Let's do a fisking.

Paragraph 1: Already horribly naïve. Fundraising your way to love and screaming rape threats through a traffic cone are not mutually exclusive at all. How many PUAs have a Kickstarter?

Paragraph 2: Holding up Jane Austen as an example of romantic flirting? Holy hell, Mr. Darcy is worst tsundere and I've seen Evangelion.

Paragraph 3: If you say dating is a legal mine field, at least recommend some good lawyers in case we're going to get sued for skipping her while giving a round or some other frivolous scenario.

Paragraph 4: Joke's on you, Vice, I have anonymous lurking enabled on my LinkedIn.

Paragraph 5: Beverages have been a substitute for personality since the Greeks. Heck, they anthropomorphized it into a god, for Pete's sake.

Paragraph 6: This one is true-nobody is on Tinder for the deep conversations. If you want that kind of thing, you should try FetLife.

Paragraph 7: Practicing game outside abortion clinics is not done? You're forgetting the inevitable angry fundamentalist protestors, and those must be thristy as hell.

Paragraph 8: This is, unfortunately, completely true. I once spotted someone obtain a phone number while they were waiting for an ambulance to pick up a dudette with a possible alcoma. Anything is possible if you're cynical enough.

Paragraph 9: This assumes the boyfriend couldn't possibly be interested in a threesome, or have an open relationship with his gal. Ugh, monormativity.

Paragraph 10: 4AM as a party deadline? What a pleb, I've seen people go for raw fish at 7AM and still get laid(the raw fish is not a euphemism for cunnilingus).

Paragraph 11: This assumes that you attend house parties with people you actually know. Plenty of house parties that advertise themselves in the hopes of actually making money off of it.

Paragraph 12: It seems these gals are unfamiliar with the drunk flail as a dance move. If you combine it with the good old cowboy rope dance move, there's a high chance she'll go along with it out of sheer yolo. Also, it's not feminism that killed chivalry but the longbow.

Paragraph 13: I don't know which club you're at that you can obtain hot dogs, but pass me the address.

Paragraph 14: If she's babysitting handbags, it means you're not dealing with the sadistic type that just drops it in the middle of the dancefloor to trip people up. Find a better target.

Paragraph 15: >not mentioning "Hey, are you smoking or is it just me?"
Terrible, see me after class.

Paragraph 16: I am a hardboiled detective, sugar. Haven't you seen the fedora I wear indoors?

Paragraph 17: Is there a female equivalent to cockblocking? Cuntstunting perhaps? I'm afraid what Google might barf out if I try to check if that already exists.

Paragraph 18: No, you spread your attention around. Nobody likes a hanger-on. Have these people even read the Doc?

Paragraph 19: >rest of the article bashes PUA ideas
>women operate on an alpha-beta dynamic
I applaud gender role inversion any day, but this is just plain weird.

Paragraph 20: Fatshaming! Pro-capitalist attitudes! Also, I'm sure ponchos are cultural appropriation of some sort! But seriously, don't diss banter just because you meet people who are shit at it.

Paragraph 21: She seems unfamiliar with the fact that people who play these text-based RPGs have a severe hatred of 3DPD anyway.

Paragraph 22: >dissing cold-reading
Can we get the Gentleman in here to debunk this notion?

Paragraph 23: Never bring home anyone who doesn't appreciate innuendo(hehe, in-your-endo).

Paragraph 24: How to clearly communicate-

Paragraph 25: This goes both ways. If she whines about your choice in bedroom decorating, kick her out, now. In the morning you'll find out she hates all your favourite shows and is not interested in the gruesome stories of the Spanish siege of your hometown.

Paragraph 26: If your playlist doesn't have anything on it that will cause you both to start singing along halfway during the act, it's not a playlist worth having.

Paragraph 27: "That wasn't so hard?" Is this some sort of cheap shot at those suffering from whiskey dick?

Overall verdict: 3/10, no fun allowed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:25 am

Aaand like that, BasedBuzzed has served this article. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Remember that, unless you're Scandinavian, propositioning a woman will never come naturally to you.

Heh. 1) My country! My country! Someone mentioned my country on the Internet! 2) Is this a part of the Scandinavian stereotype? I thought if anything we were supposed to be distant and shy, or possibly obnoxiously drunk when abroad? 3) Or maybe there is something about my Scandinavian upbringing that can give me a natural ability with this kind of thing? Does anyone have any idea about what?
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:36 pm

Or maybe there is something about my Scandinavian upbringing that can give me a natural ability with this kind of thing? Does anyone have any idea about what?

I didn't get that at all. I'm in a big tourist town and Scandinavians are not the people we expect to get "propositions" from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:41 pm

There are stereotypes about Scandinavians being obnoxiously drunk abroad? I thought that was Australians. Wink

The stereotypes I've heard about Scandinavians involve eating lutefisk. And Sven and Olli jokes. And saying "oof da!" That's probably more about the American Midwest Scandinavian heritage than actual Scandinavians, though.

BasedBuzzed wrote:Also, it's not feminism that killed chivalry but the longbow.
So true! Grin

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:52 pm

I was going to provide some feedback but about halfway through I got to feeling "I can not believe I gave Vice another click of my life!" and flushed the article out of my short term memory. It was somewhere after the "willing to fuck/too high" and "by the time you're out of your 20s. . ." because how many house parties are you going to in your 30s in the first place and in the second where inviting someone to "a better party" at 4AM is going to work better than just inviting her home?

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Wondering wrote:There are stereotypes about Scandinavians being obnoxiously drunk abroad? I thought that was Australians. Wink

This world contains multitudes! I will say that the drunkest collective group of people I've ever encountered in my life was a boatload of Swedes on a cruise ship between Stockholm and Helsinki. If I recall correctly, the boat was on the water the proper distance/time/whatever for the whole duty free thing to kick in. Seemingly everyone bought the limit of booze, drank that, and then bought the limit again to wheel off the boat with those little suitcase rollers.

General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:38 pm

fakely mctest wrote:
This world contains multitudes!  I will say that the drunkest collective group of people I've ever encountered in my life was a boatload of Swedes on a cruise ship between Stockholm and Helsinki.  If I recall correctly, the boat was on the water the proper distance/time/whatever for the whole duty free thing to kick in.  Seemingly everyone bought the limit of booze, drank that, and then bought the limit again to wheel off the boat with those little suitcase rollers.

Sounds like I need to hang out with a bunch more Swedes. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum