NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Nostalgia thread

3 posters

Go down

Music Nostalgia thread Empty Music Nostalgia thread

Post by reboot Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:31 am

Are there bands or songs that give you good memories? Or you tie to a fun time or people in your life? This is the place to share them.

For me:

Rancid:

They played my coop (RIP Barrington/Cloyne, old school.... Where apathy and entropy were mated) and I talked Wobblies with a rich kid punk

Green Day: 924 Gilman, 'nuff said. But did you have to play the weird "Where is the weed?" games every time? It was funny once

Diesel Queens: Sorry I fucked up your sound... More than once

Idiot Flesh: Too many nights, too many inflatable costumes, y'all are my 20s

EDIT: And I had to add a less scary Idiot Flesh song. I love that one, but it is too dark for those that never saw them in their not seriousness
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Music Nostalgia thread Empty Re: Music Nostalgia thread

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:20 am

Sting's music was a very big part of my childhood. Specifically, Ten Summoner's Tales and Souls Cages. Many a car trip involved playing both albums from start to finish. In general, his music means a lot to me.

'Shape of My Heart' still remains one of my favourite songs of all time.

Genesis and Peter Gabriel both remind me of my very early childhood. The latter was such a favourite of mine, I ended up destroying our VHS copy of his live 'Secret World' concert.

As for Genesis, well, I always loved music but I more or less just gleaned it from others. I would listen when others listened, not because I was driven to (save for those super early childhood days). But, when I heard the Genesis track 'The Musical Box' for the first time that changed. That's a pretty big deal for me.

Far too many Celtic bands to mention bring back warm memories of both family and friends.

The beginning of my love for music in languages other than English (outside Celtic languages) started with this little gem. It opens up not a whole new world, but the world if you can get into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:45 am

You sound like my kinda lady, reboot. Razz

8th grade, SO PUNK, hating everyone on the school bus Laughing :

9th grade, falling in love (and figuring out that electronica was good):

11th grade, late fall, Feeling Stuff in my mom's Volvo:

Freshman year of college, meeting my best friend, walking home along the Charles at 5 am feeling unstoppable:

Latter half of undergrad, summer, getting day drunk in a kiddie pool on a friend's porch:

My dad:

Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 am

Ok so here we go:

As far as my life goes - music does play quite a roll for me.

First up - FIFA 98. This song is probably the first licensed song in a video game that defined that year for me. I never was a sports fan, but this game was just so good :-D

Another artist that really impacted me - Fatboy Slim. Loved his songs. Especially the video clip for "Gangster Trippin'". Something about blowing stuff up made me laugh like a madman. I still remember the first time I saw the clip - I was ROFL COPTERING all over the place. I don't know why. Looking at it today makes me wonder why I thought it was so funny back then.

Also, this vid is another reason why Christoper Walken is a badass:

Another highlight - the period during high school where me and my brother made these really silly home videos all the time. We had a pretty high tech (for it's time) sony home video camera. The peak of this hobby was when my brother was offered to make the "end of year summary" senior year video at his school, that was to be shown to all the students from his year. He accepted the challenge. That was an amazing time - I helped with everything from props, logistics and even some really minor acting  Razz . We decided to use this epic tune from "Unreal Tournament 2004" for a little "action" scene we created (if you can even call that "action" at all - god watching it today is SOOOOO Embarassing  Laughing )

The following song reminds of different times - that feel so far away from me today.

This song marks a special moment for me. It was when me and my ex met for the last time for a concert. This song played in the background when we arrived to the concert area. We sat down and we kissed for what was the last time. It's a bitter sweet song for me.

The final song here on my list is, how not, a latin song. Undeniablly the single most important change I have made in my life so far. I owe so much to this music, it pretty much managed to save my social life and give me hope and strength for the future.

Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Music nostalgia, huh?

This was the schedule bumper music for adult swim from about 2005 to today (I think).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum