NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuff you're looking forward to

+28
Caffeinated
CP96
reboundstudent
celette482
waxingjaney
fakely mctest
OtherRoooToo
nearly_takuan
Lemminkainen
Archetype694
kath
progSHELL
Hirundo Bos
Herr R
SarahGryph
WJMorris3
The Wisp
Gman
Jayce
reboot
Mel
Gentleman Johnny
caliseivy
Gamerz
Enail
UristMcBunny
eselle28
Robjection
32 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Stuff you're looking forward to - Page 2 Empty Re: Stuff you're looking forward to

Post by progSHELL Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:50 pm

A bunch of little things:

I seriously cannot wait to see Inherant Vice. The trailer looks awesome, it's being described as "Like The Big Lebowski" which is always good, and it's directed by Paul Thomas Anderson i.e. the best American director working today.

Also I hope they put the extended cut of Nymphomaniac on Netflix or something soon. I mean, I loved the film, but I'm not going to pay to buy the movie again but with slightly more nudity.

Winter Sleep apparently has a distributor coming out of Toronto. That's probably my most anticipated foregin film of the year. I've heard it's a lot talkier than the director's other films to date, but that it's worth it.

All I know about Adieu Au Langage is that it's a 3D movie by Jean Luc Godard. I'm in.

I'm so excited for Birdman. It looks awesome and apparently it's Alejandro González Iñárritu's best film since Amores Perros.
progSHELL
progSHELL

Back to top Go down

Stuff you're looking forward to - Page 2 Empty Re: Stuff you're looking forward to

Post by kath Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:54 pm

I just found out that there is going to be new Twin Peaks in 2016! And David Lynch is doing it! EEEH!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Archetype694 Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:56 am

I'm on the Dragon Age hype train.

I had enjoyed the previous two entrants in the series and am looking forward to how the story will resolve itself in the third chapter. I do worry that the story will be somewhat hackneyed as it was in part two.

The plot twist at the end of DA II felt rather forced and cheap. It just seemed to make little sense from the view of the heroes and the villains. Beyond that last bit I thoroughly enjoyed the romp.

I do hope the banter is on the same level, I think by far the snark between the cast was my favorite part of the game. Seeing characters who at the start disliked one another over the years wind up building a grudging measure of respect and mutual affection.

Aveline and Isabella often had me cracking up and I would often have them on my team to hear them lob barbs at one another. Beyond that I hope that the mages do not look like a bunch of neo hippie clowns with a garishly bad sense of style.

The images thus far of mages wear do not inspire much confidence. What's the point of being able to bend the elements to your will if you cannot look fabulous while doing so?
Archetype694
Archetype694

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:09 am

I look forward to DA III too, although I worry that the creators might have taken the wrong messages from the response to DA II. I thought that game's copy-paste dungeons and other bits of unfinishedness were annoying, but it was also my favorite WRPG since Knights of the Old Republic. Its dialogue was excellent, its narrative structure refreshing, its combat kinetic and delightful. I liked making a name for myself rather than being chosen by fate, seeing characters develop and change over the course of years, dealing with personal tragedy, and negotiating a whole bunch of situations without easy answers. In some ways, it was one of the most mature and thoughtful RPGs since Planescape Torment. I hope they don't lose these things in the future and revert the game to being Mass Effect: Brown Edition like DAO was. (And I say this as a person who liked DAO a lot!)

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:58 am

Oh yay, I'm not alone in my love of DAII! Grin
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Third-ing that. I thoroughly enjoyed the more part-of-the-world feeling Dragon Age II had—still the Champion, in the end, but at no point is your character deliberately embarking on a world-saving mission. And even though I still hate playing the "jerk" character, the more morally-dark choices feel way more reasonable when the character you're supposed to be playing has more personal motivations regardless of whether the world is at stake.

I also liked the Very Realistic Aveline/MaleHawke 'ship, at least the way I experienced it, though I'm told it's possible to go way further than that into full-on Nice Guy™. So far I always chicken out before I see enough of it to decide for myself whether it's educational or problematic.

(That said, I played through again recently and might have Twittered a complaint or two about Merrill's romance flags getting turned on by weird random innocent things. Maybe that was "educational" too, in a way.)

Finally, I liked being able to name my character "Ad".

ETA: Wait, no, not "finally"! The start of Varric's mission in the second act demands special mention!
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:39 pm

I liked DAII less than some people here and more than most reviewers. I actually didn't mind the ending - I'm okay with a story that's based around the idea that sometimes the world goes to hell and you have to go along with it. I did have a problem with the combination of the long-term narrative and the theme that some characters are set in their ways and can't be redeemed. I think one or the other would be very interesting to me, but the combination left me with several characters I never learned to like or respect and having to roleplay someone who'd choose to hang out with them over the course of a decade. That part felt a little bit too much like being inserted into a visual novel for my tastes. That being said, it sounds like Inquisition is on a shorter timeline, so I don't think I'll run into those issues. I'm hoping Bioware tries out the long timeframe again in another story - I think it has potential even though I didn't like this particular execution!

I loved the Aveline/Hawke relationship, though, and while I didn't play it with a male character, I suspect the content is the same for a female character as well. My second playthrough, I NiceGirled her pretty hard to see what would happen. I loved Aveline in general, also liked Varric and Isabela, and was surprised by how much my family grew on me. I thought that last aspect of the game was extremely well done and wouldn't mind preset family members being given a larger role in other Bioware games.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by OtherRoooToo Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:13 pm

New York Comic Con?

Is anyone else going ...?

OtherRoooToo

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:47 am

OtherRoooToo wrote:New York Comic Con?

I wish! Very jealous.

On that note, I am looking forward to PAX South (I'm aware of and not 100% comfortable with some of the issues surrounding it, but it stacks with an opportunity to see some friends and I'm excited to attend), if anyone in these parts is planning on going.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:24 am

Enail wrote:Oh yay, I'm not alone in my love of DAII! Grin

By far no. I may have played DA:O more, but I think I enjoyed DA2 more. The characters just mesh so wonderfully, and I love my snarky!Hawke.

eselle28 wrote:
OtherRoooToo wrote:New York Comic Con?

I wish! Very jealous.

On that note, I am looking forward to PAX South (I'm aware of and not 100% comfortable with some of the issues surrounding it, but it stacks with an opportunity to see some friends and I'm excited to attend), if anyone in these parts is planning on going.

Not for NYCC, though my roommates are going to exhibit at the Artist Alley. (Which is apparently cavernous, from what I've heard.)

Gosh I completely forgot about PAX South. I feel like I ought to go at least one day, it's only an hourish from me and I have a couple of friends in San Antonio I wouldn't mind catching up with. If I do it'd be rad to meet up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 am

Warlord of Draenor (sung to the tune of Nightflight to Venus)!

The Firefly game (SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY)

The next part of BBC2's series about cats, because last night's was really fucking cute. The collar-cams mean that your cat's-eye-view comes with a little furry chin at top of shot. I wanted to put my face in the screen.

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:48 pm

The groundbreaking television phenomenon, Golden Globe®️ and Peabody Award-winner TWIN PEAKS will return as a new limited series on SHOWTIME in 2016. Series creators and executive producers David Lynch and Mark Frost will write and produce all nine episodes of the limited series, and Lynch will direct every episode. Set in the present day, TWIN PEAKS will continue the lore of the original series, providing long-awaited answers and a satisfying conclusion for the series’ passionate fan base.

For viewers hoping to reminisce or for those discovering the series for the first time, SHOWTIME will re-air the first two seasons of TWIN PEAKS, in advance of the new episodes going on air in 2016.

Widely considered one of the most groundbreaking and influential broadcast series of all time, TWIN PEAKS followed the inhabitants of a quaint northwestern town who were stunned after their homecoming queen Laura Palmer is shockingly murdered. The town's sheriff welcomed the help of FBI agent Dale Cooper, who came to town to investigate the case. As Cooper conducted his search for Laura's killer, the town's secrets were gradually exposed. The mystery that ensued set off an eerie chain of events that plunged the inhabitants of Twin Peaks into a darker examination of their very existence. Twenty-five years later, the story continues...
[Author's Note: incoherent screaming] :affraid:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:58 pm

fakely mctest wrote:
The groundbreaking television phenomenon, Golden Globe®️ and Peabody Award-winner TWIN PEAKS will return as a new limited series on SHOWTIME in 2016. Series creators and executive producers David Lynch and Mark Frost will write and produce all nine episodes of the limited series, and Lynch will direct every episode. Set in the present day, TWIN PEAKS will continue the lore of the original series, providing long-awaited answers and a satisfying conclusion for the series’ passionate fan base.

For viewers hoping to reminisce or for those discovering the series for the first time, SHOWTIME will re-air the first two seasons of TWIN PEAKS, in advance of the new episodes going on air in 2016.

Widely considered one of the most groundbreaking and influential broadcast series of all time, TWIN PEAKS followed the inhabitants of a quaint northwestern town who were stunned after their homecoming queen Laura Palmer is shockingly murdered. The town's sheriff welcomed the help of FBI agent Dale Cooper, who came to town to investigate the case. As Cooper conducted his search for Laura's killer, the town's secrets were gradually exposed. The mystery that ensued set off an eerie chain of events that plunged the inhabitants of Twin Peaks into a darker examination of their very existence. Twenty-five years later, the story continues...

OMG OMG OMG

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:01 pm

ElizaJane wrote:
fakely mctest wrote:

OMG OMG OMG

Stuff you're looking forward to - Page 2 Tumblr_mbjs7wIwqZ1qkdogo
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:25 pm

ElizaJane wrote:
fakely mctest wrote:

OMG OMG OMG

I need to find a friend who gets Showtime. And now I shall squee.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Aw, you guys, I didn't realize there were so many other Twin Peaks fans on here. cheers

In the meanwhile, I am seriously seriously considering buying a Blu-Ray JUST to watch Twin Peaks: The Complete Mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming Sonic Boom video game. It could be the reboot the series needs. If it's good, it'll probably be the game that tips the scales in my mind in favor of buying a Wii U. We'll see.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:06 am

Hahaha, I posted about Twin Peaks in this thread on Monday! Obviously I should have embedded a video Razz
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:50 am

kath wrote:Hahaha, I posted about Twin Peaks in this thread on Monday! Obviously I should have embedded a video Razz

I am a fan of visual references! Sorry I missed it, I've been away without internet and then was obviously too excited to do due diligence. Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Herr R wrote:MGS 5: The Phantom Pain (Gonna upgrade to PS4 for that one), Going back home/to my jail cell for vacation, seeing KMFDM on tour.

MGS: Ground Zeroes got destroyed critically for only being a single ten minutes mission, and the final reward being a tape of the female lead getting molested. It's apparently quite a disgusting game from what I've heard, and claims all around is that Kojima has become the video game equivalent of Francis Ford Coppola, and sucks ass.

Phantom Pain, on the other hand, looked incredible in the gameplay videos, and no rape recordings and ten minute missions to be found. An entire open world MGS game.

So I'm cautiously optimistic about that one, if it's even half as good as it looks...hoo wee.

I also really want Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor, apparently one of the best games made this year. First South Park and now this, all the good games seem to be licensed these days. It's got a system where you can basically interfere with the tribal structure of orcs and stuff.

And I'm finally getting Smash Bros 3DS tomorrow, cannot freaking wait. Portable Smash...sigh Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Glides wrote:
I also really want Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor, apparently one of the best games made this year. First South Park and now this, all the good games seem to be licensed these days. It's got a system where you can basically interfere with the tribal structure of orcs and stuff.

I never knew that I have a desperate desire to interfere with the tribal structure of orcs, but holy shit does that make me want to play it!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Archetype694 Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:42 am

Just a heads up.

Dragon Age Origins is Free for the next week or so through Origin.

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

I rather enjoyed Shadows of Mordor, the Nemesis system is a really good idea and I look forward to it being introduced into other games. It seems like a really nifty way to tell an interactive story.

As fun as it was it suffers from same issues any sandbox type game does. It's a shame mod support is not enabled I would have loved to see the scenarios people could dream up. Considering the game is around $60 I would recommend a red box / gamefly rental over a purchase.
Archetype694
Archetype694

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:52 pm

fakely mctest wrote:
I am a fan of visual references!  Sorry I missed it, I've been away without internet and then was obviously too excited to do due diligence. Grin

It is like, the best possible remake news ever, so if there's any reason to be too excited to do anything, Twin Peaks is up there Razz
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Someday they will make a version of this guy in the Diaclone colors, and on that day I shall do a little happy dance.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:45 am

Stuff you're looking forward to - Page 2 Tumblr_mdqyojMmkK1r855fd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum