NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+32
Nerdator
Xexyz
Gman
kath
CP96
Wondering
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
reboundstudent
BiSian
Dannyboy
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
Chickpea Sarada
Andrew Corvero
reboot
lonelyoffices
jcorozza
WJMorris3
Conreezy
litterature
eselle28
Izmuth
Werel
PintsizeBro
nearly_takuan
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
caliseivy
Robjection
The Wisp
Hirundo Bos
36 posters

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 7 Empty Re: Rants

Post by The Wisp Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Damn, I had to cancel plans for a hike today with a couple of people because of this ongoing fatigue I'm dealing with Sad
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:47 pm

"Why bother doing research, it's just an editorial."

Please switch working fields.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:55 pm

WTF has happened to DNL prime the past few weeks...
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:23 pm

<mod> Wisp, while I think everyone who's been commenting on DNL Prime, regardless of the perspective they're coming from there, would agree that it's been...rather intense there the last while, the Rants thread is not a suitable place to rant about happenings on DNL Prime or other topics likely to be controversial with this audience. This is something that keeps coming up, so please try and be a bit more mindful of that. Thanks! </mod>
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:02 am

Enail wrote:Ugh, doctors are so bad at communication.

Rants - Page 7 Doctors%60-strike
Chickpea Sarada
Chickpea Sarada

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Picky whining about solo models:
>video is the shoot of the photoset
>bad lighting
>fanbase that constantly demands hardcore and plastic surgery
>clonepaste dirty talk
>webmasters that cannot into attractive site design
>previews that start in the middle of the clip
>awkward banter by the camera dude
>sideblog that tells nothing about the model while site advertises personality

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Dear Microsoft Excel,

I am most grateful for your assistance in helping me write up the financial records for my manager. Considering how tight the deadline is, it is imperative that we get this sorted quickly.

Which is why I am most displeased with your behaviour this morning. Crashing every time I try to save anything is not how a piece of software should act when there is much at stake and time is of the essence. I lost half a working day's productivity because of this inappropriate behaviour. In my paranoia, I asked avast! to check if your uncharacteristic actions were the result of a malicious entity such as a virus, but it told me that there were no such entities.

While I am glad that you behaved yourself after lunch, the cause of your acting out remains a mystery, so I shall be watching you closely in the future.

Sincerely yours,
Robjection

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:34 pm

Rants - Page 7 It-looks-like-you-re-trying-to-close-the-program-W

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyoffices Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:16 pm

My dog has a torn CCL (ACL in people) in his hind leg. I know this is something that happens, but it really shouldn't. I mean WTF.

lonelyoffices

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:59 pm

Robjection wrote:Dear Microsoft Excel,

I am most grateful for your assistance in helping me write up the financial records for my manager. Considering how tight the deadline is, it is imperative that we get this sorted quickly.

Which is why I am most displeased with your behaviour this morning. Crashing every time I try to save anything is not how a piece of software should act when there is much at stake and time is of the essence. I lost half a working day's productivity because of this inappropriate behaviour. In my paranoia, I asked avast! to check if your uncharacteristic actions were the result of a malicious entity such as a virus, but it told me that there were no such entities.

While I am glad that you behaved yourself after lunch, the cause of your acting out remains a mystery, so I shall be watching you closely in the future.

Sincerely yours,
Robjection

I typically get this behavior once I have ~150 spreadsheets open (copying and pasting into smaller documents might help), but there also seems to be a bug related to close on save. Could also be run of the mill file corruption, however, and I'd glance over your macros too if you're using any. Crash on save is reasonably common too (for any program) if you're using a remote desktop with low connectivity--I think it works fine for common tasks, but trying to save times out the system. Excel is awful in general though and I really hate VBA.

Also, why are research papers from 50+ years ago only available behind a (steep) paywall? People are complaining about copywrite law for books lasting forever, but citations do me no good if I can't get to the source material! Also, what happened to the spread of knowledge and easy peer review and all that? And wasn't this research partially funded by the government anyway?
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:00 am

"however jokingly and privately you may be using it(in this era nothing is ever private)"

Alright, you folks have finally found something that isn't just grumbling at freshers. Jesus Christ, that's creepy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:40 am

readertorider wrote:I typically get this behavior once I have ~150 spreadsheets open (copying and pasting into smaller documents might help), but there also seems to be a bug related to close on save. Could also be run of the mill file corruption, however, and I'd glance over your macros too if you're using any. Crash on save is reasonably common too (for any program) if you're using a remote desktop with low connectivity--I think it works fine for common tasks, but trying to save times out the system. Excel is awful in general though and I really hate VBA.
I can say for certain that, apart from maybe Excel being awful in general, the crashing was not caused by any of these. I only had the one spreadsheet open at a time, my manager was able to open the spreadsheet on his computer and save it without any crashes occurring, I got the crash on save even when I was trying to save a new spreadsheet that contained nothing but a short line of text in the first cell, there were no macros being used, I don't think we have remote desktops in the office, and we recently had a guy in to shift everything over from wireless to cables in order to improve connectivity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:13 am

I think I may have bought at least one, possibly two subscriptions to Office 365, but I am not exactly sure. I should probably try to find out if I have hjem or not, and how to install them on various devices if I do, and how to cancel one of the subscriptions if it turns out I actually do subscribe both via iTunes and via my Microsoft account, which I'm not really sure how works anyway. Anyway, the reason I did this now was so I could cut and paste some Word documents to Scrivener, but when I did that I found the formatting got weird, and my color codes didn't survive the transfer, but then I found out I could import them directly into Scrivener instead, so I don't actually need Office at this time after all, but I suppose I will, at some point or other...

if all this looks confusing or long-winded to read, I agree, and it's what the inside of my head looks like a lot of the time, so maybe not to wonder I get tired now and then.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:09 pm

People! Please stop breaking up with my friends!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:56 am

tl;dr:  Bathtubs.  Shallow bathtubs.  Whyyyyyyyy!?!?!?

And now, of course, is the full-blown rant, replete with Italianate hand gestures and slitty-eyed stares at the suboptimal tub.

A couple of days ago I left the house at 0dark00 to drive 125 miles or thereabouts to the U-haul (rental moving truck place).  I get the truck, and drive 30 more miles to the storage unit.  Spend three hours emptying out said storage unit.  Drive back 30 miles to the nearest charity store.

There were a few odds and ends that they wouldn't take, and they had no dumpster.  So I drive three *more*miles to the out-of-town dump that your vehicle is weighed at both arrival and departure.  I empty the truck and return with an hour-and-a half to spare.

YAY!!!!!!!

But at this point, it's 1530.  The beginning of rush hour.  So I'm looking at 60-70 miles of rush hour traffic.

No bueno.  MUY no bueno!

So I take myself to a delightful hotel -- the only one in a depressed area that doesn't have any bad reviews.  I fetch dinner, shower, and prepare for a lovely, long soak, whereby I shall turn into a giant pink prune.

The overflow drain won't allow the water to entirely cover my legs!

I am five feet tall, height weight proportionate, and the water won't cover my thighs!

What *is* the point of calling it a tub?

HMMMPPPPHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Barretts_Salt wrote:
The overflow drain won't allow the water to entirely cover my legs!

I am five feet tall, height weight proportionate, and the water won't cover my thighs!

What *is* the point of calling it a tub?

HMMMPPPPHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds less like a tub and more like an overzealous shower stall lip. The nerve!
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:03 am

Doctor rant! My doctor is a horrible, incompetent person. First, it was "you're too young to be this fat". Then, "what do you need allergy shots for? What do they do?" Like, really? You're the one with the medical degree. You should know about this stuff. And the latest - "oh, you're TB test is totally positive"...even though it not raised, think, or remotely like anything described by the CDC guidelines as "positive". And is merely...slightly pink, like it is EVERY OTHER TIME I've had the test. The guidelines even specifically state NOT to measure redness, but an actual bump. That is palpable. Really enjoyed wasting the time today going to another site to get a chest X-ray. Luckily the staff there are not incompetent like yours, and that experience wasn't a big deal, but I still can't wait until I can get new insurance through my next job (if you don't screw something else up on my physical, of course), find a new doctor, and write some really nasty online reviews.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:53 pm

>internalized ableism
Thanks, but I'll take the folks using autismal as a derogatory term over the whinos playing armchair psychologist. You creeps annoy to no end claiming to know me better than I know myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:23 pm

So my boyfriend did something idiotic at work, and now he's been fired. Which means he gets bumped down a few levels in seniority. Which means he's moving back to Texas, probably within a week or two. Which always seems to happen when I finally meet a dude who I actually hit it off with and see a future with.

And of course it's not about me, so I have to suck it up and be supportive and kind and not bring up the inevitable breakup when really I just want to cry.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:44 pm

Oh hell, eselle, I am so sorry. That thoroughly sucks Sad
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Oh wow, that's awful, eselle.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Oh, wow. I'm so sorry to hear that. Jedi hugs?

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Oh, that sucks, I'm sorry, Eselle.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm so sorry, Eselle. Best wishes.
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:28 am

Thanks, folks, this is a rough one to talk about with people I know in real life because it's fundamentally about someone else, and I appreciate that I can get some support here.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum