NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+32
Nerdator
Xexyz
Gman
kath
CP96
Wondering
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
reboundstudent
BiSian
Dannyboy
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
Chickpea Sarada
Andrew Corvero
reboot
lonelyoffices
jcorozza
WJMorris3
Conreezy
litterature
eselle28
Izmuth
Werel
PintsizeBro
nearly_takuan
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
caliseivy
Robjection
The Wisp
Hirundo Bos
36 posters

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 2 Empty Re: Rants

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue May 12, 2015 1:38 pm

It doesn't matter if making you live up to your own rules with regards to use of problematic language is a cheap gotcha as long as I link legit scholars and activists with that opinion. I have zero problems with you setting a code of conduct in your own (social) space. But you don't get to accuse of others of false consciousness and explaining their own experiences to them if they have no problem with certain words, and you don't get to hide behind a tone police argument when your vitriolic responses count as clear abuse even by the most forgiving of standards.

It's not because they can't handle it, even though one of them privately explained to me that she's actually less at ease speaking up because it might bring out folks like you to shit up discussions. It's because you're getting repetitive, and have fulfilled your function in dragging along the Overton Window. Don't even waste your time on flouncing, nobody buys it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue May 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Is that in reference to the DNL Prime site?

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue May 12, 2015 3:56 pm

No, someone with Fresher Syndrome in FB flamewars. I don't do passive-aggressive sniping in that manner(and I wouldn't be able to resist jumping in if such a person showed up on Prime anyway).

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue May 12, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't care if you get called by the !@#$ing President, dropping a show that you've been committed to for months with less than a week's notice is a shitty thing to do when you're one of the critical people involved.

On the other hand, I guess that means I get to guest DJ. . .while running the entire event. . . and MCing the stage show portion. This show has cost us cast members, has a shitty cut of the door and nearly everyone running a section of it has dropped the ball. I hope everyone remembers this the next time someone asks "why don't we do more local shows?"

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed May 13, 2015 8:34 pm

Reasonable people can debate whether or not a person who's cheated should confess or say nothing, and I think many people would agree that it depends on the situation. However, I think that most people would agree that if you've already left your partner and your divorce has been final for over a year, you're past the point where a confession will do them any good.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Wed May 13, 2015 9:28 pm

Day-late pseudo-apologies like that are made for the benefit of the aggriever, not the aggrieved.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri May 15, 2015 3:32 pm

"Don't do this thing to honor a woman of color because doing so would merely distract and distort from the oppression of her and people like her..."

Side-eye
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Fri May 15, 2015 7:04 pm

I intended to post this in esselle's thread about romantic gestures, but it felt too rant-y, off-topic and inappropriate so this is probably a better place.

In my opinion being a romantic is a gendered thing because it has to do with fantasy, and men have traditionally been allowed more outlets for their fantasising than women. But personally I think identifying being a romantic with particular, gendered, gestures isn't entirely accurate, and I don't think romanticism is synonymous with thoughtfulness either - as I see it, being a romantic is first and foremost about reducing the distance between daydreaming and reality, or to put it into healthier-sounding terms, about feeling the need to transform everyday life so that it's truer. So actually I think well-established gestures are romantic only in the sense that they celebrate a big ideal, but since received culture is a part of everyday life as it already is, these gestures are pretty weak as far as romanticism goes. The essence of romanticism is revolutionary zeal. Saint-Just is romantic. Voltaire is anti-romantic.

So my suggestion is to see if you two hate some aspect of life, to see if you two love something, and do something that gives great importance to the thing you two love while showing how it helps to crush the though you two hate.

Also, I don't think a romantic would mind being teased about something they think is special.
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat May 16, 2015 6:30 am

>identifies as feminist
>"how can men get raped, they can't get a boner if they aren't horny"
I'm the first to acknowledge male rape victims often get cynically used as a red herring, but holy moly, by the looks of it you're a student at a good uni, how do you not know stimulation nets a physical reaction?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 11:45 am

BasedBuzzed wrote:>identifies as feminist
>"how can men get raped, they can't get a boner if they aren't horny"
I'm the first to acknowledge male rape victims often get cynically used as a red herring, but holy moly, by the looks of it you're a student at a good uni, how do you not know stimulation nets a physical reaction?

And never they mind that sodomy isn't a thing either. I mean, haven't they watched prison movies either!?

(I say it jokingly, but from the sounds of it, this person doesn't know that sex is more than just PiV)

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon May 18, 2015 10:01 am

Dear parent:
I need you to calm the fuck down. Not once has your persistent dwelling on a subject ever turned out the way you'd concluded it would. No, my sibling is not trying to talk me into getting a place with them, they just brought up the topic of them needing to move because they were making casual conversation. How do I know this? Because unlike you, I decided to ask questions instead of shutting up about the subject and then questioning me about it later on. I know Sib isn't trying to talk me into a joint place because in the process of talking about it I jokingly dropped my feelings about roommates and living alone, and Sib has never given me a reason to not trust them. While you're at it could you please stop asking me about your imagined ulterior motives of my other Sibs and just ask them questions?

-Second Rant (because I'll go crazy if I can't tell someone about it):
Are you trying to nitpick about who told Younger Relative to use what utensil? Yes you told him use a fork for the mashed potatoes & gravy - because there was very little gravy, what difference does that even make? - and I wasn't paying attention and told him to use a spoon because it was mashed potatoes & gravy - almost whipped more than mashed. I wasn't trying to contradict you and undermine your authority (which you've never worried about before), but it doesn't make sense to use a fork for that texture of potatoes under the reasoning that there's very little gravy in it. Fine, whatever.
I take my plate to the dish of mashed potatoes & gravy and there's a fucking spoon in it!
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 19, 2015 12:55 pm

It's my birthday. 32 years of the world giving me one message: "Go away. Just go. Nobody likes you. Nobody wants you around. Just go away and leave everyone alone and let them keep having fun without you to bother them. Just go". 32 years of being reminded that all the people who have hurt me and treated me badly and rejected me, from my family, to school, to work, can't possibly all be wrong. 32 years of being reminded that having no friends means that every single person I know decided that I'm just not good enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue May 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Sorry you're feeling so bad on your birthday, Pagliacci. Best wishes for as good a rest of the birthday day as can be, and for things to be better soon.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Tue May 19, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm not a god damned 1950s housewife. Shit happens. Fucking deal with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue May 19, 2015 2:21 pm

No, friend who I haven't seen in Zod knows how long on the opposite coast, I'm not interested in giving you my email so you can tell me about your new business. If you can't give me a straight, one sentence explanation on FB messenger, its Amway and I will block you if you keep it up.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Tue May 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:No, friend who I haven't seen in Zod knows how long on the opposite coast, I'm not interested in giving you my email so you can tell me about your new business. If you can't give me a straight, one sentence explanation on FB messenger, its Amway and I will block you if you keep it up.
I've heard of this "Amway" before, but what exactly is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue May 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Robjection wrote:
Gentleman Johnny wrote:No, friend who I haven't seen in Zod knows how long on the opposite coast, I'm not interested in giving you my email so you can tell me about your new business. If you can't give me a straight, one sentence explanation on FB messenger, its Amway and I will block you if you keep it up.

It's one of those pyramid sales schemes, except this time with side dish of conservative politics. Most of their products are housewares.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue May 19, 2015 3:42 pm

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1620-amway-5-realities-multi-billion-dollar-scam.html

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Tue May 19, 2015 5:47 pm

Robjection wrote:

The namesake of the major stadium here in Orlando, which boggles my mind. It's the only MLM I know of that has any sort of success on that level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Tue May 19, 2015 7:31 pm

That would explain why one of Slappy Squirrel's reactions to an annoying neighbour was "I ain't interested in Amway, lady!"

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue May 19, 2015 11:18 pm

Conreezy wrote:
Robjection wrote:

The namesake of the major stadium here in Orlando, which boggles my mind.  It's the only MLM I know of that has any sort of success on that level.  

Herbalife, LifeVantage, and Advocare all are kit sponsors of MLS teams (LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, and FC Dallas, respectively) and Amway sponsors the Canadian Championship.

Granted, I think MLM companies are wrong on so many levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Tue May 19, 2015 11:59 pm

I see Herbalife flyers all over my neighborhood. When I first saw it, I thought it was a weed thing (there are multiple medical marijuana dispensaries in my city). I was disappoint.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed May 20, 2015 12:18 am

Okay, Boyfriend, I get that you want to include me in your life. I also get that you might feel this is important information I should know. But calling me to talk about how you had heard that Colleague Who Works Four Hours Away was applying for a job on the other side of the country, and that you'd been encouraged to apply for his current one should he get it is a bit on the premature and anxiety-and-sadness-causing side of things. You talk to your brother and your best friend on the phone every single day, so I'm not going to chalk this one up to needing someone to hash things out with.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed May 20, 2015 7:42 pm

I figure she mostly sees through it anyway, but this (entirely self-imposed) thing where I have to seem sanguine about everything when we're talking in person is probably going to make this thing a lot less productive than it could be, regardless of who it's with. Note to self: stahp.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 pm

I did honestly try to not look completely off my rocker in my staff photo.

Utterly failed.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum