NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's my archetype

3 posters

Go down

What's my archetype Empty What's my archetype

Post by Dannyboy Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:52 pm

According to Doctor Nerdlove, a person is supposed to base their wardrobe around their archetype, a stereotypical version of themselves that others find attractive. The problem is, I have no idea what my archetype is.

I mean, I want to be writer but I haven't written much lately, just brainstormed and daydreamed. Besides, I don't know if writers really have a set look. I'm into obscure 80's punk and alternative rock but am no punk myself and I don't think dressing like a hipster would do me any favors. I like cartoons, anime, and games but the only types of fashion they have are ugly hot-topic junk. Finally, I'm short and babyfaced, so I don't know if I could pull off any of these looks even if I wanted to.

Right now I wear simple clothes: blue and black jeans (though I need new ones, damn knees keep getting holes), simple one-color t-shirts (I like dark blues, browns, oranges, blacks and whites), some patterned button down shirts, three pairs of slacks (one white, one black, and one dark blue), an assortment of simple brightly colored sweatshirts for fall ( red, blue, and orange), and a black pea coat which I often wear with my simple, black military style cap.

So, first question, how do I find my archetype? Second question, how bad is my current wardrobe?

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

What's my archetype Empty Re: What's my archetype

Post by Werel Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:20 pm

What cultural messages do you want your clothes to send? What do you want to signal? Can you make a list of four or five key signals you want to put out (e.g. "intellectual," "low-key," "I like Joy Division," "please talk to me about Bukowski," etc.) Next: are there any TV/movie/entertainment personalities you look at and think "nice clothes"? And/or "those clothes are sending one or more of the signals I'm going for"?

Can't tell you much about how your current wardrobe is working without seeing how it fits-- a closet full of basics like you're describing can be great or less-great, depending on their quality and fit. But there's nothing inherently wrong with jeans, t-shirts, and sweatshirts, if that's what you mean. Razz
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyboy Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:13 pm

I don't know: friendly, intelligent, creative, laidback...and sure, I guess "I like Joy Division". I can't really think of any media personalities who wear clothes that say those things.

I'll see if I can get some picks of me in my current wardrobe up.

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 am

You don't have to look like a hipster to signify you're an indie, creative type, do you? Besides the more goth leaning bands, post-punk was all about simple looks anyway...

Judging from your description, if your clothes fit, your wardrobe is very good and archetype-appropriate. Get something you can layer over your t-shirts (a dark cardigan or a thick shirt you like, some thin sweaters in subdued colours), get some light jeans (I don't like light blue so I'm going to get a grey pair soon, but whatever you like) so you can wear dark tops and keep the contrast and that's... it?

You might want to get a lighter jacket as well - I have a black denim jacket I use instead of a leather jacket when I'm going for a Ramones-type look (I'm a vegetarian, so no leather for me), and I also have a baseball-style bomber jacket I love but you might find that a bit on the hipster side.

I'm not sure sweatshirts are archetype-appropriate. Ian MacKaye usually wears hoodies and stuff, but that's because he's a skater. I guess you can pull it off but make sure they aren't too sporty and loose-fitting.

What kind of shoes do you wear? Kind of the obvious choice but I like chucks a lot, I have a black pair and a red pair, and the red pair goes great with tops that have any red in them.

Also, I usually wear a button badge somewhere to discreetly advertise I'm a nerd, but I avoid stuff that's too fanboyish, brand names, band logos, etc. Just some drawing made by myself or some character I like.

Anyway, here are some post-punk/punk icons looking good:

Vini Reilly
What's my archetype Hqdefault

Colin Newman
What's my archetype Wire_annette_greenWhat's my archetype MI0001330590.jpg?partner=allrovi

Joey Ramone
What's my archetype Joey-ramone-060612-download

Bernard Sumner
What's my archetype BSumner07_GQ_19Sep12_getty_b_642x390
What's my archetype Joydivision_bernardalbrecht1
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down