NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Politics and Current Events

+28
sky
nearly_takuan
Aggrax
waxingjaney
Izmuth
Amygdala
Prajnaparamita
WolfBlitzer
ElizaJane
caliseivy
reboundstudent
Robjection
JP McBride
Wondering
BasedBuzzed
bomaye
eselle28
WJMorris3
Werel
jcorozza
Suika
Hirundo Bos
litterature
The Wisp
kath
Enail
Caffeinated
reboot
32 posters

Page 19 of 33 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 33  Next

Go down

Politics and Current Events - Page 19 Empty Re: Politics and Current Events

Post by Amygdala Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:27 am

Wondering wrote:The FBI is saying the Russians are behind the DNC email hack and selective release to WikiLeaks. Theory is that Putin wants to smear the Democrats and get Trump elected. Possibly because Trump is isolationist and is already talking about how he won't honor NATO agreements. And Putin wants Estonia and the rest of the Baltics.

This situation leaves me wanting to restore my faith in the party and Hillary, but it's not there yet.
Amygdala
Amygdala

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:11 pm

A note to some of the newspapers around the country. WHY, when Hillary Clinton became the first female candidate for a major party in the United States, do we need pictures of Bill?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 pm

I cannot believe we are now having a national discussion about how well-treated the slaves were who built the White House. It doesn't matter. They. were. slaves!

Michelle Obama's point: She and her daughters, black women, are the first family of the United State of America. Free. They are not still slaves as the families of the black (presumably) men who built the White House were. See how our country is better now than before.

Holy crap. Why are we parsing this? It is appalling.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:35 pm

Wondering wrote:I cannot believe we are now having a national discussion about how well-treated the slaves were who built the White House. It doesn't matter. They. were. slaves!

Michelle Obama's point: She and her daughters, black women, are the first family of the United State of America. Free. They are not still slaves as the families of the black (presumably) men who built the White House were. See how our country is better now than before.

Holy crap. Why are we parsing this? It is appalling.
Because she's an African-American woman and the Republicans cannot stand an African-American or a woman with power.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Eh, they can if she's "one of the good ones." Condoleeza Rice for example.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:24 am

My physics, does Donald Trump ever not understand politics. I know three Republicans who've disavowed him because of his comments toward the Khan family and another whose breaking point was his comments toward firefighters. I can kind of understand that he doesn't intuitively get families where most of the men and an increasing number of the women have served in the military, out of patriotism or as a career or to get money for college, or that he doesn't understand how much people in the Western part of the country are affected by wildfires. Those are experiences he probably can't feel on a grokking sort of level. But goddamn, that plays horribly with almost everyone and almost devastatingly with lots of people who might otherwise support him. That's what advisers and self-control and a basic sense of empathy are for.

I'm predicting that his next target will be...adorable orphaned puppies? I'd say a random, innocuous small business owner or an elderly nun, but he's spent his career picking on the former group and has no problem speaking harshly about the Pope, so those are both kind of givens.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:58 am

eselle28 wrote:That's what advisers and self-control and a basic sense of empathy are for.

Hahaha! Trump and empathy. That's a good one. Sad

I can hope, but I don't know that his current comments, especially about the Khans, will be enough to drive enough people away to matter, though. He didn't seem to lose many supporters after calling John McCain a loser for being a POW, and by implication, all other POWs. :/

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:29 am

True, and horrible. I'm kind of betting that there's a segment of the public who are paying attention to the election now who were not last year. Ressurecting some of his old comments may be useful, especially given that McCain has recently issued a statement about Trump's behavior.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 pm

eselle28 wrote:....

I'm predicting that his next target will be...adorable orphaned puppies? I'd say a random, innocuous small business owner or an elderly nun, but he's spent his career picking on the former group and has no problem speaking harshly about the Pope, so those are both kind of givens.

Well he just kicked a baby out of one of his rallies Grin
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 am

reboot wrote:
eselle28 wrote:....

Well he just kicked a baby out of one of his rallies Grin

Points!

Smile

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:07 am

I'll just swipe the headline, "High Court: School Can Block Transgender Teen From Boys Room".

And the Facebook comments, dear god.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:11 pm

In other news, this happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:13 pm

For those of you not in the US (and those of you in the US who aren't aware), our Olympics network, NBC, is showing the Olympics on tape delay even though they're in the same hemisphere and only 1-4 hours ahead of the US. When asked why, an NBC exec said this:
The people who watch the Olympics are not particularly sports fans. More women watch the Games than men, and for the women, they're less interested in the result and more interested in the journey. It's sort of like the ultimate reality show and mini-series wrapped into one. And to tell the truth, it has been the complaint of a few sports writers. It has not been the complaint of the vast viewing public.

Side-eye

There are many, many sexist issues with this statement. But one of the main themes of his statement is going to be familiar to many here. It's the same theme of men who say that women aren't really gamers because they only play phone or casual games. The theme that the speaker gets to define what sports are and the Olympics (the Olympics!) aren't sports. And gets to define what a sports fan is. Because watching a sporting event like the Olympics apparently doesn't make you a sports fan.

Shut up, gatekeeping asshole.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Wondering wrote:For those of you not in the US (and those of you in the US who aren't aware), our Olympics network, NBC, is showing the Olympics on tape delay even though they're in the same hemisphere and only 1-4 hours ahead of the US. When asked why, an NBC exec said this:

Side-eye

There are many, many sexist issues with this statement. But one of the main themes of his statement is going to be familiar to many here. It's the same theme of men who say that women aren't really gamers because they only play phone or casual games. The theme that the speaker gets to define what sports are and the Olympics (the Olympics!) aren't sports. And gets to define what a sports fan is. Because watching a sporting event like the Olympics apparently doesn't make you a sports fan.

Shut up, gatekeeping asshole.

Doesn't help that this exec is also reducing the Olympics to "the ultimate reality show and mini-series" which invalidates the hard work folks put in to getting to where they are now. I dunno about you, but don't you think this is insulting to both women and the athletes in the Olympics. Facepalm

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:40 pm

I detest the idea of needing to explain everything. The Opening Ceremony would have been better off if they had presented it live, commercial-free, and commentary-free, but they don't have the guts to do that.

Meanwhile, one of NBC's announcers is in quite hot water.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:31 pm

I like the commentary as long as it's educational. One of the reasons I love the Olympics is learning about other countries and their athletes. Please tell me about the refugee team and the Syrian swimmer who pushed her sinking refugee boat with passengers on it 3 hours to shore through open water. Let's tell this story more.

Another reason I watch is to learn about sports I know little about. And I can tell you, after having watched NBC's live stream of sailing for the last hour with no commentary track at all, I am not more knowledgeable. And I was bored. "Okay, they're sailing more. How long is the course? I don't know. What's their average speed? I don't know. What are the rules? I don't know."

But Matt Lauer making jokes about how old Meredith Viera is during the Opening Ceremony? Yeah, we don't need that. And neither does she.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:27 pm

Dear a certain angry Chee-to.

You DO NOT suggest that "Second Amendment people" might be able to stop your opponent. That sounds dangerously close to suggesting your opponent should be shot.

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:03 pm

The Secret Service that's protecting him probably isn't too happy about it

A super-badass super-long-ass ass-essment of America's reaction to terrorism from September 12th 2001 to now. Wasted resources, resources put to good use, security and safety protocols that worked and didn't work, and ongoing concerns.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:27 pm

Canadian women pretty good at winning medals, eh?

Wink

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:20 am

Okay, how does Rudy "A Noun and a Verb and 9/11" Giuliani get away with saying there were no radical Islamic attacks on US soil in the eight years before President Obama took office?

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 am

WJMorris3 wrote:Okay, how does Rudy "A Noun and a Verb and 9/11" Giuliani get away with saying there were no radical Islamic attacks on US soil in the eight years before President Obama took office?

Aside from the folks who bombed WTC in 1993, he means Smile
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:11 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:Okay, how does Rudy "A Noun and a Verb and 9/11" Giuliani get away with saying there were no radical Islamic attacks on US soil in the eight years before President Obama took office?

Has Giuliani been replaced by the lizard people or what the fuck?

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:54 pm

My response to friends (especially those in more competitive states than my own) considering voting for third parties has so far been to reaffirm the decision to vote at all and suggest they spend as much time learning about Johnson and Stein as they have Trump and Clinton, rather than voting for either out of annoyance with the two familiar candidates.

I'm getting pretty tempted to send around the video of the Green Party town hall meeting, though. There are a lot of things I don't like about Clinton, but Stein managed to strike me as having a lot more in common with Trump in terms of both rhetoric and honesty as to her positions.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Stein and Johnson both support anti-vaxxing in their platforms.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:15 pm

Public Policy Polling wrote:It's widely known that Trump voters support building a wall on the border with Mexico to keep undocumented immigrants out of the country. We find that 31% of them also support building a wall along the Atlantic Ocean to keep Muslims from entering the country from the Middle East. 52% are opposed to that idea.

(Source)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 33 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum