NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weird Dating Stories [No Adv]

+6
BasedBuzzed
reboundstudent
Stumbles
Nerdator
The Wisp
trooper6
10 posters

Go down

Weird Dating Stories [No Adv] Empty Weird Dating Stories [No Adv]

Post by trooper6 Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:17 pm

So I went out on a blind date last night and got stood up! And maybe I dodged a bullet? This is what happened!

I got a message from someone who seemed really attractive and compatible on Match.com. I messaged back on Saturday noting some of the similarities we had and generally crafted a pleasant and charming response to her initial email. She messaged me back an hour or two later saying she had time to meet up on a date later that evening. So, what the heck! I said sure. We were to meet in a restaurant, which she chose, at 7:30pm. She also wanted me to wait out in front of the restaurant for her and said she'd call me when she got there. (All of this organization is done via text message by the way). I take public transportation and the restaurant is halfway between the town she lives and I live, so at 6:30pm, after making myself look pretty dapper indeed, I head out. I get there at 7:15 and wait around in front of the restaurant. 7:30 comes and no word from here. No big deal people are sometimes a bit late. I overhear, however, that there is a big party at the restaurant and that seating might be a problem...so I'm keeping my eyes open to seating developments in the restaurant (which doesn't take reservations).

Around 7:50 I get a text from her saying that she's been driving around for 20 minutes looking for parking but that she is here. She wonders if she can pick me up at the corner and then we can drive to a parking lot and walk back to the restaurant. I reply that I don't mind waiting, but since she's right here, I'll go in and get us a table so we don't miss the table.

So I get the table and then wait for her. Time passes. Time passes. Time passes. The waiters are all, "Do you want to order now?" I'm all, "I'm waiting for a friend." At 8:05 she texts me, "Let's meet in Newton at the Cherry Tree." So...Newton is the town where she lives. And it would take me at least an hour to get there. But I'm not even sure how I would get there because I don't have a smart phone to map out the directions. So I text back, "I took public transportation, it would take me an hour to get there. Is there no parking at all?" No response.

So after another ten minutes and side eye from the waitstaff who pressure me into at least getting a drink, I text her: "Should I keep the table here at the restaurant or have you given up on trying to find parking?" She sends me this text (the last text I got from her): "Jesus...OBVIOUSLY something happened that didn't feel right...no biggie."

Which I thought was a bit strange. I tried to clarify and texted back that I was just trying to figure out if she was still coming or if she was heading back to Newton. No reply. So I order dinner, eat it, then go home (which involved walking in the rain, which I thought was hilariously dramatic).

Anyway, now it is the next day and I can't help but think about her last text and the something not feeling right that on my end that she brought up in her text. Why exactly did she bring that up? Come to think of it. It is a bit odd that I never actually spoke to her on the phone and that she wanted me to get into her car when I hadn't even met her in person yet. Also, parking in Central Square isn't great...but I'm there every Sunday and my buddies always find parking...so that was strange. Maybe she was a serial killer?

Anyway, it was a strange night. It never feels good to be stood up, but I probably dodged a bullet with that one!

Do any of you all have strange dating stories to share?

trooper6

Back to top Go down

Weird Dating Stories [No Adv] Empty Re: Weird Dating Stories [No Adv]

Post by The Wisp Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:47 pm

That almost sounds like some AI bot was talking to you in those texts. It felt a little random reading that. So bizarre!
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerdator Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:10 pm

The two last messages are certainly weird and do look like a bot responding to certain keywords.
Nerdator
Nerdator

Back to top Go down

Post by trooper6 Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Yeah, I thought the whole thing was really strange. On the upside the restaurant had these really cool paintings of Twiggy and other women from the 1960s...so that was cool.

trooper6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 am

My entire "dating history," if you can call it that, is a series of dodged bullets.

Let's list a couple:

First ever date I actually went on: girl already had a boyfriend and neglected to tell me. She was also schizophrenic, evidenced when she laughingly told me how the voices in her head had told her to drown a puppy in a laundry machine. She was not kidding.

Most recent occurred when me and a girl and my friend went to a movie together, I tried hitting on her, she seemed to like it, and then slept with my friend. Sigh. Note to self: never be around pretty girls you like around physically attractive men.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stumbles Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:24 am

Oh man. Weird dating stories! Back on the Old Forums I talked about Boxcutter Guy. Recap: A guy I hooked up with once was normal until he wasn't. At a bar, he decided to brandish a boxcutter at the Door Guy after groping me multiple times and got butthurt when I told him to knock it off. He proceeded to blow my phone up the next day and I promptly blocked him.

A more recent story of What the Hell Just Happened: I met a guy on Tinder but his friend was there as well. Kaaaaaaay. Apparently Mister Tinder wanted a threesome but his friend wasn't into it. I'm just sorta there confused. Sloppy makeouts happen and then some Mario Kart. Friend goes off to do his own thing and awkward sexytimes happen with Mister Tinder and me. Reeeeeeeeeeeeallly awkward. I wasn't feeling it and did the slow fade--because that is how I roll. At least I got to play some Mario Kart!

Yeeeeesh. Typing this out, I wonder what Mister Tinder's version of this story would be? Maybe I'm the weirdo in this scenario.
Stumbles
Stumbles

Back to top Go down

Post by trooper6 Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Glides, I think you dodged bullets in both those instances.
Stumbles, you were not the weirdo in that scenario.

trooper6

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Oooh I've got one! Well, actually, this is more of a trend than a particular story, but I kept running into guys who would mention other women on dates. And not like "my gal friend" or "my sister", a woman who he either had slept with, wanted to, or felt he should make some kind of judgment on.

-1st date, guy tells me he's hooked up with lots of girls at a convention, but "Not Con-hot. Like actually hot."
-1st date (same guy), he points out another woman with a similar body shape to me and says "Ugh she should not be wearing that. Can't she see how she looks? Not like you-you're proportional!"
-After seeing a guy for a while, I mention <insert foreign country>, and from no where guy says," Oh girls from <foreign country> are so hot!"
-Several dates in, we're trading college stories and the guy says "I knew this one girl in college, I wanted to get with her so bad, she was so amazing and beautiful and special and smart and..."
-Several months in, a guy was showing me pictures of parties, and kept pointing out girls he'd slept with and how boring/good in bed they were
-I need two hands to count the number of times a guy has confessed his love for my friend to me 7 out of 10 times, it was after I'd been heavily flirting with him

I thought mentioning other girls was a signal that the guy wasn't interested, but these were guys who continued to be eager for me to pursue them. So I have no idea what the heck was happening here.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 pm

I don't see that as weird(if it's not done in an overly assholish manner). I mean, whining about exes is bad, but lessons learned from previous relationships/horror stories/amusing anecdotes/sweet tales aren't per definition. Granted, I'm the type that isn't fazed if hot movie stars or chummy exes are mentioned inbetween make-out sessions, so it could be that I don't have the bad experiences you've endured.

Last edited by BasedBuzzed on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:59 pm

BasedBuzzed wrote:I don't see that as weird(if it's not done in an overly assholish manner). I mean, whining about exes is bad, but lessons learned from previous relationships/horror stories/amusing anecdotes/sweet tales aren't per definition. Granted, I'm the type that isn't fazed if hot movie stars or chummy exes are mentioning inbetween make-out sessions, so it could be that I don't have the bad experiences you've endured.

To me it sounds more like these guys might have been trying to...make themselves sound like a really good deal? I'll admit I occasionally feel a temptation to lie when I interview for jobs and claim I've had other interviews/offers come in really recently (when in reality the last offer I got was several months ago and I sometimes regret not taking it).

I don't, of course, but I think that might relate to the same kind of mindset. "I could be dating other people, but I chose you." Except it's not as romantic to hear as you might think when you say it, and it gets worse when you try to imply it instead.

Alternately, some others of those might have been talking so loudly about how "hot" various people were as part of a Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today? pattern.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stumbles Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:55 pm

@ReboundStudent. I agree with nearly_takuan. It sounds like some of these guys were trying to talk themselves up not realizing it could come off as callous. Like: "Look at all these chicks who are into me! Are you into me? You should be!"

That's how I interpret it.
Stumbles
Stumbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:34 pm

I'm with the two above me-- these mostly sound like really clumsy attempts at sociosexual posturing.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:44 am

I thought mentioning other girls was a signal that the guy wasn't interested, but these were guys who continued to be eager for me to pursue them.

Those guys sound like dicks. That type of thing annoys the hell out of me.

I had a girl once take my phone at a party to put her number in it, imploring me to call her. When we went out, she talked about her ex, then picked up the phone when he called and talked to him right in front of me. Then she went outside and talked to him for 10 minutes. It did not make me think she was any hotter for being wanted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:50 am

reboundstudent wrote:Oooh I've got one! Well, actually, this is more of a trend than a particular story, but I kept running into guys who would mention other women on dates. And not like "my gal friend" or "my sister", a woman who he either had slept with, wanted to, or felt he should make some kind of judgment on.

-1st date, guy tells me he's hooked up with lots of girls at a convention, but "Not Con-hot. Like actually hot."
-1st date (same guy), he points out another woman with a similar body shape to me and says "Ugh she should not be wearing that. Can't she see how she looks? Not like you-you're proportional!"
-After seeing a guy for a while, I mention <insert foreign country>, and from no where guy says," Oh girls from <foreign country> are so hot!"
-Several dates in, we're trading college stories and the guy says "I knew this one girl in college, I wanted to get with her so bad, she was so amazing and beautiful and special and smart and..."
-Several months in, a guy was showing me pictures of parties, and kept pointing out girls he'd slept with and how boring/good in bed they were
-I need two hands to count the number of times a guy has confessed his love for my friend to me 7 out of 10 times, it was after I'd been heavily flirting with him

I thought mentioning other girls was a signal that the guy wasn't interested, but these were guys who continued to be eager for me to pursue them. So I have no idea what the heck was happening here.

That first guy actually made me fall over laughing. I love it when people boast, and how angry they get when you find their postulating to be hilarious.

But yeah, that's all just really terrible attempts to look appealing to you. They think if they talk about how many girls they've supposedly been with, you'll be impressed and want to sleep with them more. The people who've hit on you and the people who've hit on me should go out, they deserve each other.

I actually do have two more: a girl I was planning on meeting for a date last weekend called me while I was out with friends. I put her on speakerphone because she was massively wasted. She asked for pizza and then burst into tears when I wouldn't get her any.

The second one happened only last night. I went to a bar with a few friends (I have no idea why, I can't even legally drink). This really attractive woman sat down next to me and began talking with me. She was very very sweet, dressed a little too well for the place we went to. She actually made a direct sexual advance, and I responded naturally by politely informing her that I had no interest in sex workers and I couldn't afford her rate even if I did.

Needless to say, she wasn't a hooker, and she punched me in the face and stormed off. I actually have a pretty decent black eye, and I'm not about to go to class today and tell people I got beat up by someone who I thought was a sex worker. I did learn a couple hours later that she was trying to make her ex-boyfriend jealous, and luckily he was cool about it, since I had been smart enough not to go for it.

Actually, come to think of it, that's been the only circumstances in which a woman has ever hit on me: making other guys jealous. They mistake my unattractiveness for desperation, I guess. Luckily, only a tiny minority of women do that sort of thing to begin with, so I can't exactly blame the whole gender for a few rotten apples.

Favorite quote from my friends: "dude, you have the worst luck with women out of any human being I've ever met in my entire life." Way to be supportive, guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:18 pm

The only OKC date I've ever walked out on was with this dude who I tried to engage in conversation every conceivable way (one or two word answers every time) before I just gave up and waded hip deep into a discussion about ~film. He had exactly the same tastes as every single other annoying ~film dude of my acquaintance (Kubrick, Scorsese, Tarantino, Polanski) and I fully poked the beehive in the middle of some long ramble he was taking on the subject of how the shot where cream swirls in Travis Bickle's mug in Taxi Driver was held for the "perfect amount of time" by saying that art is subjective and that there's not really any such thing as the perfect amount of time. And then I said, "For example, I find Kubrick to be incredibly slow and boring." I actually left after he kept trying to discuss Polanski after I'd asked him if we could avoid the subject. I told him Polanski was a garbage human being, put down my money, and left the bar.

Otherwise, I am the QUEEN at listening to/engaging with people's weirdly confessional first date patter and then realizing, at LEAST several hours later, that it was really fucking weird that someone who's basically a stranger would unburden themselves like that.

General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:38 pm

^^I hope this doesn't sound advicey, but you didn't like how she came on to you and didn't trust the situation, so you had the full right to make that remark even if it was just to tell her to piss off(you'd get applause if the gender was flipped). The end of the story only confirms it. Laughing at her getting pissed off is the least of your rights, she should be glad you didn't call the police on her behind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum