NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of the Rants

+43
Werel
Glides
Hielario
Datelessman
bomaye
Yoshiland
eselle28
Enail
HSavinien
ElizaJane
Amygdala
Conreezy
DragonEatsKnightCheckmate
Mara_
Izmuth
fakely mctest
Chickpea Sarada
Kiskadee
Barretts_Salt
waxingjaney
KitKat
BasedBuzzed
Xexyz
readertorider
CP96
jcorozza
InkAndComb
Aggrax
kath
Hirundo Bos
reboot
PintsizeBro
Caffeinated
reboundstudent
Robjection
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
sky
WJMorris3
BiSian
litterature
Wondering
Prajnaparamita
47 posters

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

Go down

Return of the Rants - Page 30 Empty Re: Return of the Rants

Post by Enail Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:50 pm

Fuck Ontario.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:27 pm

Enail wrote:Fuck Ontario.

I assume this is about the recent elections, or something else?

I apologize in advance if I sound ignorant. As a typical misinformed American, most of what I know about Canada I learned from comic books focusing around Wolverine, as well as knowing the fact that about a third of all anime and cartoons are voiced there.
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:46 pm

Yep, elections, you are clearly impeccably informed! Wink
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:38 pm

Mark today as the day that women's rights died in the U.S. As has been predicted for months due to the leak, the SCOTUS has overturned Roe v. Wade by a 6-3 conservative decision; 3 of those Trump appointees (one of whom was kept warm for him by Moscow Mitch during the final year of Obama's administration). It is the first time the SCOTUS has cast a decision which took away an already established American right since the end of the 19th century -- when the SCOTUS voted for segregation, basically. We all knew it was coming, but it is still disgusting that we are here. All of those Trump appointees, of course, claimed under oath in Congress that Roe was "settled law."

To this day, the circumstances behind former Justice Anthony Kennedy's retirement (he was replaced by Matt "Beer Bong/Date Rapist" Kavanaugh) remain murky. Thomas' son worked for Deutsche Bank for a decade and loaned then-citizen Trump billions when other banks knew he was a grifter and wouldn't give him a penny. In 2018, Kennedy was 80-81; which is old for us civilians but for Supreme Court justices is usually still workable provided they are in good health. The bottom line is there was no real reason for Kennedy to retire; he easily could have held on longer. But that might have risked a Democratic appointment if Trump lost in 2020, and Kennedy probably wasn't extreme enough for the GOP at the time. There has always been suspicion that it involved his son and those loans, but to this day it is a mystery.

Even worse, the conservative judges (Justice Thomas in particular) made it quite obvious their aim is now on other former SCOTUS cases, such as undoing the right to contraception (even for MARRIED COUPLES), sex within the same gender, and same sex marriages. Just yesterday, the Far Right Leaning SCOTUS struck down New York's strict gun-carrying permit laws, ensuring more Uvaldes happen in blue states. And not long before that, this SCOTUS ruled that, essentially, innocence was not a valid reason to appeal or overturn a death sentence conviction. And about 2 weeks ago, the right-wing SCOTUS ruled that anyone living 100 miles from a border -- by coincidence, almost everyone in blue states -- no longer have Fourth Amendment protections. It is the worst fear of progressives. And the steps to correct this are few and complicated. Democrats would have to, essentially, win the next 3 election cycles in a row by wide margins to even hope at having a filibuster-proof majority in Congress as they briefly had in 2009-2010 for Obama's first year. And retain the White House, of course. And be more progressive than during the Obama days with expanding the court and codifying a variety of rights into law, and even managing the SCOTUS (i.e. such as demanding that justices on the Supreme Court comply with the same ethical standards as federal judges to avoid conflicts of interest; to this day they don't have to and much of what SCOTUS does or how they rule remain cloaked in mysteries perpetuated by cowardice and tradition).

22 states already have laws ready to ban abortions ready to go. It is a grim, dark day for America. Canada is genuinely worried that America will slip into full on fascism and their borders will be swamped with refugees. They are wise for being worried. pale
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:23 pm

We're not worried about refugees so much as becoming a target ourselves, either just for general expansionism or for our water as climate change makes that more needed. And about the way the winds in the US tend to influence the winds here.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:43 pm

Enail wrote:We're not worried about refugees so much as becoming a target ourselves, either just for general expansionism or for our water as climate change makes that more needed. And about the way the winds in the US tend to influence the winds here.

That's true, especially with the trucker convoy "protest" that cropped up months ago.

Apparently, major companies/studios like Amazon, Netflix, Comcast, Sony, Warner Brothers and Disney are willing to pay for employees to travel to blue states to get abortions. While that's a nice gesture, it further divides people and a better strategy would be committing to helping Democrats win federal elections and funding a progressive news station to compete with Fox News (and especially competing with right-wing hate radio). I'd love to be in a country with a real democracy and not a plutocracy where the only hope against one giant monster is another giant monster, but here we are.

The end of Roe is really the end of even the pretense for democratic rule here. Out of the 6 justices voting to repeal it, only one (Clarence Thomas) was appointed by a President who won the popular vote (and that was George H.W. Bush, who had been Reagan's VP for 8 years and was therefore initially put into the White House in 1980 via committing treason with Iran much like Ronnie was). A majority of voters, including Republicans, do not want federal abortion rights to end. Heck, this directly effects women, and women outnumber men in the U.S. by at least 8 million (a larger population than at least 3-4 states combined). It is the first salvo of minority rule by a deranged elite. And it won't be the last.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:08 pm

If nothing else, it's great to see you're still capable of caring about it.

(I'm fighting some really dark thoughts, myself. I'll be 30 in two months and my life is nowhere near where it should be).
Hielario
Hielario

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:47 pm

Hope you feel better soon, Hielario. Lives rarely follow the paths they 'should,' but things can keep changing for the better.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glides Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:20 pm

white christofascism has been the enemy of humanity and life for centuries now, and the battle to break and shatter it for the sake of humanity's future will go on. i'm not sure how to help. my ex called this morning sobbing at the top of their lungs and could i really blame them? my parents called and they're scared too and they're just a skip and a hop from being republicans themselves. this feels like a calamity far beyond 9/11 or covid or the 2000 and 2016 elections or whatever else. this is an atrocity for the ages. it will have to be fought and the uteruses of our nation have to be protected for the sake of this species' future.

protect the uterus. that's all i got. protect the uterus. fuck the supreme court. fuck america. may goodness win, may plurality win, and may the american evangelical never hold power again in our lifetimes. may we nuremberg trial every last one of these forced birther ghouls when this is all said and done. may we have restitution for their sadistic death cult.

Glides

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:52 pm

Hielario wrote:If nothing else, it's great to see you're still capable of caring about it.

(I'm fighting some really dark thoughts, myself. I'll be 30 in two months and my life is nowhere near where it should be).

As someone who just turned 40, I can relate. Dealing with dark thoughts can be rough. I hope things improve in your life sooner rather than later.

And of course I am capable of caring about it. I was raised by a single mother; have many friends who are women; care quite a bit about the health and wellbeing of women; and am not a domineering bully nor a religious extremist (or religious in any way). Pretty much from when I was a child and first understood "the birds and the bees" to now, my opinion is the same; her body, her choice. Period.

Glides wrote:white christofascism has been the enemy of humanity and life for centuries now, and the battle to break and shatter it for the sake of humanity's future will go on. i'm not sure how to help. my ex called this morning sobbing at the top of their lungs and could i really blame them? my parents called and they're scared too and they're just a skip and a hop from being republicans themselves. this feels like a calamity far beyond 9/11 or covid or the 2000 and 2016 elections or whatever else. this is an atrocity for the ages. it will have to be fought and the uteruses of our nation have to be protected for the sake of this species' future.

protect the uterus. that's all i got. protect the uterus. fuck the supreme court. fuck america. may goodness win, may plurality win, and may the american evangelical never hold power again in our lifetimes. may we nuremberg trial every last one of these forced birther ghouls when this is all said and done. may we have restitution for their sadistic death cult.

I have to say I agree with the sentiment.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum