NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthday Nerdlounge

+3
Enail
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
7 posters

Go down

Happy Birthday Nerdlounge Empty Happy Birthday Nerdlounge

Post by Hirundo Bos Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:57 am

If I remember correctly, it's a year ago today that the new forums opened up to the public, and in my case, that makes it a much longer lasting presence in my life than the old forums ever were. I joined there in April last year, only a few months before they shut down.

I felt like a newcomer then, feel like a part of the community now – a feeling that's unusual for me, it usually takes me years to feel like I belong somewhere. But I've been welcomed here, explicitly (when people express they like me), and implicitly (when people stand ready to advice me, like my posts, trust me enough to make me a mod)...

A year ago... let’s see, what was I doing then? I was making the first preparations, the mental preparations, to move out of my mother's apartment. That's something I’ve now accomplished, and it's going even better than I would have thought. I was toying with the notion of writing erotic romance, had a story idea inspired by a post on Prime... that story has turned into a lot of text as I’ve been working continually on it since New Years, possibly influenced by the Lifestyle Challenge thread here. And my understanding of the romance aspects of the story and the emotional aspects of romance have fed into one another in the process, both well informed by discussions I've been reading here.

And taking part in an English language online community has helped improved the English in my book, particularly when it comes to dialogue, as prose dialogue exists in about the same strange oralwritten space as online discussion dialogue does.

Taken as a whole – new forums, old forums, Prime – these overlapping communities has brought me a lot of assurance, a lot of clarity, that I lacked when I first got here. In most advice-seeking threads I’ve started, I haven't even known what I’ve been asking for. But the responses I’ve got have not only helped me get a grip on the questions, they've also given me a lot of useful and specific answers... Ways to learn the skills I've needed for emotional communication, person-to-person interactions, wider social interactions... dealing with subtext... and most importantly, understanding and responding to boundaries, those of others and those of my own.

While committed relationships still aren't the main thing I’m looking for, if one were to land in my lap, I don't think I’d feel totally unprepared for it now.

There have been other forces in my life as well – working meds, therapy, a diagnosis that’s given me the self-understanding I need to reengineer my life – and internal factors, like my general self-awareness, and my desire to strive for improvement. My life would likely have changed for the better one way or the other. But you people have done a lot to accelerate the change, have helped steer it in a direction I think is good, have left me with a wish to pass things on, and I’m very grateful for all of that.

So this is my way to say Happy Birthday to these forums, and to celebrate all the good things about it, and I would have posted GIFs if I knew how to, and might ask about how to some day, and I’m inviting the rest to join in on the celebrations, with GIFs or personal stories or whatever, so... yay!
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday Nerdlounge Empty Re: Happy Birthday Nerdlounge

Post by Caffeinated Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:33 am

Yay forum birthday!

Also a tangent: I have so much respect and admiration for you and the other people posting here who don't speak English as your first language. As a US American who can kind of stumble along in a couple other languages, the idea of joining a forum in a second language and trying to express very personal things, well, I'd be intimidated.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:08 pm

Happy forum birthday! Thanks to all of you for all the discussions you've started or jumped into and the advice you've given and the kind words and silly thoughts and general feeling of community you've brought to this place. Hope next year's a good one for everyone!

(Also, Hirundo, for gifs, you just use the regular image button (to the left of the links button) and put the URL of the image in - if the original was animated, it'll still be animated)
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Happy Birthday Nerdlounge 371898_puppy-animals-swaying-rhythmic-wearing-masks
Happy birthday NerdLounge! You all have been a great help to me for distraction, stress relief, media recommendations, advice, gifs and so much more. Thank you!
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Happppppppy forumdayyyyyy
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Aight, happy forumversary, this is the second online community which I really feel at home instead of a sideliner. As for progress, my text game has gone up massively, but warm/lukewarm approaches have suffered somewhat.

This is mainly inside my own head-I'm now much (or at least feel) more aware of social signals and dudettes' perspectives-and noticed that my body language is not always up to par, and blustering through that does not always work. Still, just like messages on dating sites, this is something I'll have to grind(hopefully literally eventually). Let's see what changes have come at the next bday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Wow, Enail, has it really been a year since you labored 1200 hours to give birth to this place? Razz

Party Happy forumday to my beloved internet home, provider of new perspectives, gathering-place of delightful and fascinating people, source of many thoughts to rattle through my head on a given day, and #1 favorite distraction from schoolwork.

(Hirundo, you came here April last year too? I guess that makes us fraternal twins on the noob-to-mod path)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum